Stupid question?

PDA

AWKIII
July 24, 2009, 12:13 AM
I have access to a whole bunch of lake city brass 223 blank cartridges. Can I reload these into live ammunition? If so would it be best to just shoot them and then trim them or how would you recommend going about it? This might be a silly question, but i did a quick search and I could not find a definitive answer. What would be the procces from going from a live 223 blank cartridge to reloading for live ammunition? Thank you in advance for your help, Andy

If you enjoyed reading about "Stupid question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jackdanson
July 24, 2009, 12:34 AM
From all I've read it is very hard if not impossible to reload blanks.

fireman 9731
July 24, 2009, 12:39 AM
Negative.

All of the blank cases I have seen have much thinner brass that isn't designed to take the pressures of regular loads.

You might try trimming one to spec, and weighing it to compare with a regular case and see. If they are fairly close, you might be lucky. I would be very cautious though.

loadedround
July 24, 2009, 09:11 AM
Don't even consider it. Blank ammunition is made from cases that were rejected for various reasons from using in military ball ammo. The star crimps would weaken the cases even more so, assuming you could remove them. :uhoh:

bullseye308
July 24, 2009, 11:03 AM
Like said above, blank brass was not good enough to be real ammo and therefore is not intended to be loaded to normal pressure. Shoot it with a BFA then recycle it to buy reloadable brass.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stupid question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!