Hunter shot by accident.

PDA

AUTIGER04
October 24, 2003, 04:41 PM
LaGrange Daily News Online. Tuesday 10-24, 2003.

A man shot his brother in a hunting accident Monday night off Victory Road in Heard County.

Lt. Keith Rollins with the Heard County Sheriff's Dept said that Micheal Brian Powell, 26 of Rock Mills, Alabama,(not far from where I live) was hunting deer with his brother, Jeremy Curtis Powell, 21 of 1940 Victory Road about 6:50pm.

Micheal Powell "thought" he saw a deer and shot his 30-30 caliber rifle into the woods, and hit his brother's left shoulder.

Jeremy Powell was flowen by helicopter to Atlanta Medical Center, Micheal Powell said this morning that his brother was still in the hospital and was "doing Ok."

A condition report was unavailable from the hospital.

The investigation was turned over to Dept of Natural Resources, who were out reconstructing the scene.

Rollins said the county has one or two hunting accidents a year, most commonly falls from tree stands.

"We have'nt had a shooting that I can recall," Rollins said.

Do you see any thing wrong with this news paper report? He "THOUGHT".

http://lagrangenews.com

If you enjoyed reading about "Hunter shot by accident." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheeBadOne
October 24, 2003, 04:43 PM
And that's why we preach "Beware of your target and what's beyond".
Sounds like he may not have made sure of what his target really was. :(

shermacman
October 24, 2003, 04:46 PM
I don't get it. It is hard enough to hit a deer that you can clearly see. Why is it that so many times people hit their 'buddy' in thick brush? What part of a human looks like a deer? A 30/30 through the shoulder has to sting a bit...

Keith
October 24, 2003, 05:16 PM
One of the problems is that they don't prosecute hunting "accidents". If you shoot somebody by "accident" in your yard, it's going to involve jail or at least an expensive fight to stay out of jail.
Shoot somebody in the woods and they say "Oh, it's a hunting accident..."

Keith

clipse
October 24, 2003, 05:22 PM
In hunting accidents your buddy is less likely to press charges opposed to shooting a BG in your yard.

TheeBadOne
October 24, 2003, 05:26 PM
Good points. Some hunting accidents in my parts do get charged out as criminal negligence or manslaughter. I think one difference is if the people know each other (as in the above post, one will not press charges/testify against the other).

AUTIGER04
October 24, 2003, 05:29 PM
If this were to happen In Bama. The State of Alabama or DNR will press charges. ;) Neglect, Manslaughter.

Black Snowman
October 24, 2003, 05:31 PM
He may not press charges but you know he'll hang it over his head for years to come.

"Can't help me move? Well what can I expect from someone who shot me."

Cosmoline
October 24, 2003, 05:47 PM
Now I have NO idea what took place here, but the general rule is: the perfect murder is a killing you can freely admit to.

Again, I don't know what took place here, but I've heard of many other "accidents" which cause me to wonder.

Balog
October 24, 2003, 05:54 PM
I wonder if Hillary or Teddy Kennedy would go hunting with me?

El Tejon
October 24, 2003, 07:03 PM
I'll bet anyone here a non-fat vanilla latte that the numb-nutted shooter said these words:

"I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING. I'VE BEEN AROUND GUNS ALL MY LIFE!"

Everyone knows that the Four Rules only apply at the range and are only for safety Nazis like El Tejon, not real life.:rolleyes:

Iain
October 24, 2003, 07:37 PM
On a bright August day in 1100, 10 years after his coronation, Rufus organised a hunting trip in the New Forest. The party spread out as they chased their prey, and Rufus, in the company of Walter Tirel, Lord of Poix, became separated from the others. It was the last time that Rufus was seen alive.

By the time Rufus was found (by a group of local peasants) lying dead in the woods with an arrow piercing his lungs, Walter Tirel was on his way to France.

According to the chroniclers, it was not murder. Walter and Rufus had been hunting together when Walter let loose a wild shot that, instead of hitting the stag he aimed for, struck Rufus in the chest. Rufus fell heavily onto the shaft of the arrow, driving it deep into him and sealing his fate. Walter tried to help him, but there was nothing he could do. Fearing that he would be charged with murder, Walter panicked, leapt onto his horse, and fled.

http://www.brighton73.freeserve.co.uk/tomsplace/interests/medieval/rufus.htm

There is precedent for 'hunting accidents' to be used as an excuse. Oh and note the date before you start telling me how violent British society is ;).

Atticus
October 24, 2003, 08:57 PM
I am amazed (and fearful) every time I read a story like this.

C.R.Sam
October 24, 2003, 09:15 PM
Rock, club, spear, arrow or bullet.
Negligent hunting has been with us for a long time.
As long as there have been negligent people.
Which, in turn, is as long as there have been people.

Sam

P95Carry
October 24, 2003, 09:33 PM
Why cannot some of the ********* amateur hunters just stop and think!!

I follow the approach that certainly is rule #4 oriented ..... ''what is it I am shooting at? ....... and what is behind.'' I have missed chances many times ... thru doubt .... ''is it safe'' ..... ''is the presentation ideal for a quick and good kill''?

That is enough time to - surely - make the distinction between animal or human .... sheesh. We have mandatory amounts of orange to display in PA ... and i ain't yet ever found a deer clever enough to disguise itself in orange!

Standing Wolf
October 24, 2003, 09:51 PM
Oh and note the date before you start telling me how violent British society is.

England still had English common law in those days.

Dizos
October 24, 2003, 10:09 PM
I don't get it. It is hard enough to hit a deer that you can clearly see. Why is it that so many times people hit their 'buddy' in thick brush? What part of a human looks like a deer?

People have a tendency to see what they want to see. It happens to me all the time. Combined with the excitement of the hunt I can see how this happens. The first deer I ever shot was by reflex. Very fast, accurate and instinctual. I have since learned to calm down when hunting.

-- Dizos

ojibweindian
October 24, 2003, 11:55 PM
An interesting aside; gun season doesn't start here in 'bama till November 22nd. Soooooooooooooooooo, what was Bubba doing hunting deer with a rifle? Hmmmmm, can you say poaching?

nemesis
October 24, 2003, 11:59 PM
Doctors report that the victim's survival chances would have been better if his brother hadn't gutted him out first.

justice4all
October 25, 2003, 12:04 AM
Blaze Orange?

ojibweindian
October 25, 2003, 12:11 AM
The guy shouldn't have been shooting, period. Gun season in Alabama doesn't start for another month.

Brian Dale
October 25, 2003, 12:43 AM
about the points made by Keith, Cosmoline, Balog, St Johns et al. - the old saying goes,

"Never go hunting with your heir."

Present company excepted. :)

AUTIGER04
October 26, 2003, 09:26 PM
ojibweindian, The incident happened in LaGrange GA. right over the Alabama State Line. The shooter was from Alabama. Gun season is in, in the State of GA. Theres not many cases like this in AL since they started putting people on trial for neglect.;)

ojibweindian
October 26, 2003, 10:43 PM
Tiger

Ooops! :o

If you enjoyed reading about "Hunter shot by accident." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!