Step by step guide to removing the internal lock on a S&W?

PDA

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 24, 2009, 08:04 PM
With or without pics; with is better - anywhere?

How hard or easy? If it's easy, exactly HOW easy is it? How long does it take, what tools do you need, is the gun permanently altered, can you put it back in later to sell it? What's the risk of losing other small parts you actually NEED while doing it? Am I in and out in 5 minutes with a screw driver? Etc., etc., etc. I'm having a very hard time finding what my sig line says I'm looking for, so expanding my options here.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Step by step guide to removing the internal lock on a S&W?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RDCL
July 24, 2009, 08:14 PM
I'd just shop for a older Smith with no lock.

Russ

kentucky_smith
July 24, 2009, 08:51 PM
How about video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM

Guillermo
July 24, 2009, 08:54 PM
I thought Smith & Wesson went out of business?

pps
July 24, 2009, 09:32 PM
Tad, give me a PM and I'd be glad to tell you how to do it. I bought a wheeler engineering gunsmithing set. I only used one size bit. Be careful the fireing pin retaining pin doesn't come out with the side plate.

I ordered extra sideplate screws and an extra yoke retaining screw from brownells...just in case i buggered them up.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 25, 2009, 11:25 PM
Thanks kentucky and pps!! :)

earlthegoat2
July 26, 2009, 02:03 AM
I second the notion to buy a pre lock. I am thinking they are well worth it over the new garbage. A little remedial education on lock removal can never hurt though. I cannot say I blame you for wanting to know how to disable it though. I recently witnessed a 642 lock up while shooting mild standard pressure 38 loads. I was a believer that the lock really didnt matter until then. Now I am glad I never got a lock gun.

steveracer
July 26, 2009, 01:37 PM
I have found it very easy to remove, and ALWAYS remove the entire locking assembly. I throw it in a little baggy and forget it until the gun is for sale.
Just remove the sideplate, remove the hammer assembly, and lift the flag out.

jad0110
July 26, 2009, 03:30 PM
That is actually a pretty good video, thanks for posting it. It is simple enough to disable, I may do so I my two Smiths that have them.

Except for one big thing.

Anyone notice that the 640 was unloaded throughout the video until about 8:10, then suddenly there are cartridges in the gun from that point on? :what: :eek:

I hope they were just snap caps.

greenlion
July 27, 2009, 08:09 PM
No need to scrounge for a pre-lock version if you want a 642. S&W is making them without locks again right now. They've been on dealer shelves for months. Saw one at a store three days ago. There is also a larger frame DAO revolver that is being made without locks, but I can't remember the model #. Looks like they are only going to do this with DOA versions. Wish they would do it with a few other stainless L frame models. They are listed on Smith and Wesson's website.

If you enjoyed reading about "Step by step guide to removing the internal lock on a S&W?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!