Helloooo HK...Goodbye SIG

PDA

doc540
July 24, 2009, 10:34 PM
First range trip with the HK I bought this afternoon.

The SIG 2002 shoots great with the Bill Springfield trigger job, but the HK just feels more "natural" in my hands. I think it's just a matter of ergonomics.

I'm shipping the HK to Bill Monday for one of his excellent trigger jobs.

Doc's a happy camper.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/HK%20USP/72409013-1.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Helloooo HK...Goodbye SIG" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PO2Hammer
July 25, 2009, 12:04 PM
Congrats.

If USP's fit my hand better, they would be my first choice. The Sigs fit me much better, but there's just something about the HK's.

Hoping to get an HK45 someday, they fit much better.

doc540
July 25, 2009, 12:46 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/HK%20USP/USP9mm011-1.jpg

Pizzagunner
July 25, 2009, 05:21 PM
I can't help but notice that the target doesn't say "DA" on it anywhere.:D

How is your HK's DA pull? I have heard that most are not great and I figure that unless an HK can be carried C&L only, a piss poor DA trigger is a deal breaker.

usp9
July 25, 2009, 05:33 PM
a piss poor DA trigger is a deal breaker.

Some of us are strong enough to shoot DA too. I shoot mine DA all the the time with no problem. It really isn't that hard.

doc540
July 25, 2009, 05:55 PM
"How is your HK's DA pull? I have heard that most are not great and I figure that unless an HK can be carried C&L only, a piss poor DA trigger is a deal breaker."

Not bad at all. In fact, I was able to shoot the factory DA in the HK better than the factory DA in the SigPro 2022.

However, after Bill Springfield worked his magic on the Sig, the HK will be in the mail to him Monday.

My opinion: do not let internet experts determine whether or not you shoot an HK.

Try one and, if need be, have Bill tune it a little.

Dobe
July 25, 2009, 10:01 PM
It's not the poundage that is the problem with some HK's in DA mode. It's the creep.

My P30 in DA is good. Not so with my HK45. The USP I just acquired has a decent DA.

benderx4
July 25, 2009, 11:46 PM
Another convert! Welcome to the dark side - resistance is futile.

twofourthree73
July 25, 2009, 11:51 PM
I can shoot that good with my G26...at less cost.

I have an HK USPc in 9mm. So I'm not necessarily a glock fanboi, just saying.

I like the feel and looks of the HK USP, but the glock shoots just as good for me.

Dulvarian
July 26, 2009, 12:49 AM
I honestly don't get the feel thing that people talk about. I have seven different hammers that I can use to hit a nail with. I have never had a problem with anything other than subcompacts that don't have room for my pinkie finger on the grip. I don't notice any significant difference between Glock, H&K, MP, Desert Eagles, S&W, Beretta, etc, as long as they are full frame. The grip angle thing or handle width doesn't matter to me. Another part might be that shooting a sub compact .45 is just painful to the palm of my hand. I never had the discomfort when shooting smaller caliber sub compacts.

I guess a better question for you would be: What specifically makes you like it better?

I have a theory (and this is just a theory) about why switching to a new gun has us shooting better groups. When you pick up a handgun that you are unfamiliar with, you focus more on the basics of proper handling and shooting than you do when you pick up the gun you have fired a few thousand times. On the same note, I find that I shoot better groups when I am switching through several handguns during a range session. Internet theory, I know. Just what I have noticed with myself over the last few years. I have also seen this with other people shooting my guns, so long as they don't have any weird fixations on the fact that mine are .45's and 'kick more'. :evil:

doc540
July 26, 2009, 01:35 AM
Could be.

What I "like better" about the HK is the size of the grip in my hands compared to the design and size of the grip of the SigPro (and I tried two different Sig grips)

and

the ergonomics of the controls

I like the HK safe/fire/decock lever and its position in relation to my thumb compared to the Sig's controls. It's just more "intuitive" to how I've learned to operate a handgun.

I stood at the range yesterday, loaded both pistols and, even with the superior trigger action of the Sig (and Bill Springfield's fresh trigger job), I could shoot the HK more accurately.

Why would I be using good, basic technique with the HK and not with the Sig?

Sure, it's all subjective, but I'm gonna keep the HK and sell the Sig not because I don't like it, the HK just works better for me.

RX-178
July 26, 2009, 05:45 AM
I carry a USP45 Tactical whenever temperature permits. (Good god it's getting close to 110 degrees in El Paso currently... I can barely carry a /PF-9/!)

I do NOT like the double action trigger, but I always carry it C&L Condition 1.

I think any weapon that can empty 3 /PROMAG/ magazines without a jam is good in my book, regardless of company/brand-name politics, and my USP has gone through 3 promag 20 rounders in a row without hiccups on multiple occasions.

I had originally purchased it as mainly a safe queen, because of the price tag. Then I went to the range, and started getting consistent groups at ranges I had previously considered to be strictly rifle distances, and not a single jam ever since it came out of the box. It became my EDC PDQ.

Morgo
July 26, 2009, 08:14 AM
Congrats on the HK! :)

HK's are some of my favourite pistols to shoot, this one in particular.

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/brycemorgan452/P1020863.jpg

Although I still really like my Sig too :)

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/brycemorgan452/P1020879.jpg

badbadtz560
July 26, 2009, 11:36 AM
same thing happened for me... I had a p226 that I could never hit the bullseye with. First time I shot my hk45c.. the groups immediately centered over... and after a few sessions... same thing. Sold my p226 shortly after. I think the HK blockiness just helps w/ my noob-gripping

Jason_G
July 26, 2009, 01:19 PM
How is your HK's DA pull? I have heard that most are not great and I figure that unless an HK can be carried C&L only, a piss poor DA trigger is a deal breaker.

They can be carried C&L. Variant 1 USPs can anyway.

Jason

Texsun
July 26, 2009, 10:28 PM
Saw this already on Sigforum......

fourwedge
July 26, 2009, 11:06 PM
I love my sig p229 sas and I want a p2000 sk. Whats the problem with having both?

doc540
July 27, 2009, 09:46 AM
"I love my sig p229 sas and I want a p2000 sk. Whats the problem with having both?"

Need the money for other projects and don't need three similar 9mm's.

If you enjoyed reading about "Helloooo HK...Goodbye SIG" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!