Semi-buckhorn sight - proper sight picture?

PDA

rbethune
July 25, 2009, 06:44 PM
I've shot a couple rifles now that had semi-buckhorn rear sights, also called, I think, "Rocky Mountain" sights. I pretty much just invented my own way to use them, but is there a standard concept for what the sight picture should look like with these?

There is one image on the web of one shooter's idea at:

URL: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2374861310054458969SeyWEn

which makes me ask, if this is the idea, than what are the horns of the sight for?

If you enjoyed reading about "Semi-buckhorn sight - proper sight picture?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jmr40
July 25, 2009, 06:58 PM
It is hard to tell a lot from the picture. But that is the same way I would do it. Assuming I see the picture correctly.

Everyone does it slightly different, and the most important thing is that you are consistent and align the sights the same everytime.

rcmodel
July 25, 2009, 07:00 PM
Yes, that is the way they should be used.

Top of front blade even with top of small notch in rear sight.
The horns actually have nothing to do with proper sight picture.

The idea?
One was to protect the sight notch / top of the sight blade from wear and glare from rubbing on the inside of a saddle scabbard for months on end.

Also to prevent snagging when the rifle was drawn from a buckskin cover or cowhide saddle scabbard.

I have also seen it stated that they helped clear up the sight picture for the old-timers before everyone wore eyeglasses that needed them.
In that case they would work somewhat like a peep sight by giving an iris effect, but you still would line the top of the blade with the top of the notch.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Semi-buckhorn sight - proper sight picture?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!