Project: Safe door handgun storage for $15 (pic heavy)

PDA

hawk45
July 25, 2009, 06:14 PM
So I've been thinking about what to do for a while and finally found a cheap and easy way to make use of the safe door to mount my handguns and free-up more interior room inside the safe. Not to mention it looks cool and makes it easier to find and organize my handguns while keeping them from getting scuffed up.

Most storage systems that places sell are EXPENSIVE for what you get. I wasn't going to drop $100 for a 6 gun rack, so I looked around my shop and found an easy way to do this for about $15.

Here is how I did this the cost effective way..

My materials list:
Box of 1 5/8" HD coated decking screws - $6
Pack of 3/8" rubber tubing - $3
12ft of 1" velcro tape - $7
Cutting blade
Sharpie marker
Sissors

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5552/dsc0028h.jpg

Steps:

First, I taped off the door where the shelves and divider inside the safe meet the door.

Second, I cut the rubber tubing in pieces about a 1/4 shorter than the screw length. This allows the screw to go in deep enough but also is long enough that the tubing would go over the screw end once fully in.. to keep from the screw end scratching the finishes on the guns.

Third, I held the first gun up to the door and marked where I wanted to put the rubber coated screw mounts (usually behind the grip where the web of your hand goes and tightly against the front of the trigger guard where it meets the barrel.

Fourth, I would put the rubber coated screws in the door and test for fit.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9273/dsc0030fhf.jpg

Fifth, I would wrap a piece of the double sided velcro around the gun, cut it to size and put the gun back up on the screws. I would push the gun tight against the door covering material to set the velcro. I next open the velcro, removed the gun. Then I used pressure with my finger to really set the velcro into the door covering material. You could screw the velco to the door for extra strenth but seemed like overkill to me.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1988/dsc0031aof.jpg

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5012/dsc0034zab.jpg

Sixth, I put the gun back into the mount, secured the velcro, gave it a good tug to make sure it was sturdy and moved on to the next.

End Result:

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1786/dsc0038pdl.jpg

Give it a shot and have fun!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Project: Safe door handgun storage for $15 (pic heavy)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
D Boone
July 25, 2009, 06:22 PM
Pretty freakin awesome. Gonna give that a try soon! Thanks for sharing

clemsonu0219
July 25, 2009, 06:40 PM
Very nice idea. Subscribing and will do soon. Thank OP!

kingpin008
July 25, 2009, 08:14 PM
Looks good!

xstuntman
July 25, 2009, 09:06 PM
I was planning on doing this to my safe door but your setup looks even better. Thanks! X

a1abdj
July 25, 2009, 10:03 PM
I've seen something similar done using thread spools in place of the rubber on the screws.

A few things I will point out to those wanting to do something similar:

Many gun safes use a piece of gypsum board for the door panel. Screws will have very limited holding strength in this case, so you may consider removing the panel and gluing a thin piece of wood to the back to give the screw something to bite into.

You also should watch the length of the screw so that they to not extend too far beyond the door panel on the inside of the door. This could interfere with the locking bolts either preventing the door from opening or closing.

Skillet
July 25, 2009, 10:14 PM
what i want to do, is move a nicer safe than what i have to the inside of the office closet. we have a cheap key safe that is just made out of metal that is not very thick at all. not fireproof or anything. we are running out of room because the safe shrunk. (i swear i didn't buy any more guns!) and maybe do that same setup. bolt it to the floor and make it impenetrable.

JoeMal
July 25, 2009, 10:18 PM
Looks nice man, what kind of a safe do you have? Did it open up a bunch of space? You sure have a few handguns so I bet it did wonders!

ArmedLiberal
July 25, 2009, 10:59 PM
The simplest ideas are often the most brilliant. Thanks for passing this on, I'll be using your idea.

AL

danprkr
July 25, 2009, 11:56 PM
I'll be doing that as soon as my collection warrants.

Pack
July 26, 2009, 01:49 AM
Excellent work!

This is exactly the sort of thing we all need to see right now:

1) A way to keep the guns we do have in better order and safety (given the elevated pricing, many aren't adding anything to the collection right now)

2) An ingenious solution to a problem

3) Done in a self-sufficient and highly cost-effective manner.

I mean, your project is, for lack of a better catch-all term, just plain American! Thank you for sharing!

Starship1st
July 26, 2009, 09:51 AM
Once again American ingenuity triumphs. Great job! :cool:

ChCx2744
July 26, 2009, 09:54 AM
That is alot of pistols...I'm sure there are people on here who own more, but to me that seems like alot...Looks good though :)

I wish I could afford that many guns...

hayes1966
July 26, 2009, 10:31 AM
Any chance you could design a lazy susan type device for the long guns and post pics and material lists :)

hso
July 26, 2009, 12:25 PM
What does that do to the fire rating of the RSC?

a1abdj
July 26, 2009, 12:31 PM
What does that do to the fire rating of the RSC?

Although most of these safes are "rated" they are not really rated. The rear panel of the door is usually in addition to an air gap of a few inches, then another layer or two of gypsum.

This shouldn't have any effect at all.

frankiestoys
July 26, 2009, 12:46 PM
Thats a fine collection you have there, and a great way to add more room to your safe, but i dont see any revolvers, what gives?
Thanks for the idea's.

hawk45
July 26, 2009, 11:56 PM
Thats a fine collection you have there, and a great way to add more room to your safe, but i dont see any revolvers, what gives?
Thanks for the idea's.
My wife finally got her a S&W 442 the other day after many years of claiming rights to my guns she liked. I now have all mine back. But I snapped the last photo before I hung up her pink gripped air weight. I'm done with my auto collection.. have my wish list of revolvers started. (Vaquaro, Blackhawk, 686, 625, 629)

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. It was a fun project. I'll start on the lazy susan rack for long guns tomorrow when I'm off recovering from the Brickyard 400.. too many beers, wild turkey and sun. Well, not really..

Cheers

scndactive
July 27, 2009, 01:27 AM
Good job hangin' them pistols!

I got bored a few Saturdays ago and did a something like that.

My "gun locker'' didn't have any thing in the door, but was thick enough to stuff in a piece of 1/2'' plywood wrapped in camo burlap.

Now I have room for all my mags on the top shelf.

PT1911
July 27, 2009, 01:33 AM
cool idea... Imay have to steal it from you...

testify4
July 27, 2009, 02:15 AM
Nice job, guys! I might have to borrow scndactive's idea- I like the thought of adding pistol storage to the door of a Stack-On locker.

hawk45
July 27, 2009, 10:03 AM
I may have to get one of those lockers for my ammo only. If I could get all that out of the safe I'd be golden.

meytind
July 27, 2009, 11:03 AM
Nice job.

ilbob
July 27, 2009, 12:35 PM
Good job hangin' them pistols!

I got bored a few Saturdays ago and did a something like that.

My "gun locker'' didn't have any thing in the door, but was thick enough to stuff in a piece of 1/2'' plywood wrapped in camo burlap.

Now I have room for all my mags on the top shelf.
What did you use for the "holsters"? Some kind of nylon strap?

hawk45
July 27, 2009, 12:47 PM
Here is what I am going to attempt to make.. something similar to this. Have the pipe and mounts already in the shop (old homeade shop table legs). Lowes has lazy susans for $10. Or you can order heavy duty ones here for about the same. I'll try lowes first.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1061&productid=02Z51&mode=videos#tabs

ilbob, not sure what scandavtive used, but you could use any kind of material like cordura or leather or thick velcro. You can get scrap leather here cheap, I've used the $20 bulk packs of black leather to make holsters and sheaths for my knives. Just cut it to shape. You get a ton of it!!! Mine came in a 24x24x24 box.

http://www.leatherunltd.com/leather/pieces/pieces.html

scndactive
July 27, 2009, 01:05 PM
What did you use for the "holsters"? Some kind of nylon strap?

Yes, it was a 2'' nylon strap used to secure light cargo. The one I used had a small cut near the hook so it was unsafe to use as a tie down.

I used hex head sheet metal screws due to their short length, they look pretty good too.

I am worried about the burlap backing being to rough on the finishes though.

BBQLS1
July 27, 2009, 01:41 PM
I see a future project here.

hawk45
July 27, 2009, 03:40 PM
Ok.. so I gave the lazy susan a shot today..

I fabbed up the bottom and realized that once I got the middle pole in that it would not be big enough for my rifles. I only had about 16" to work with and was just too small. I think I would need at least 24" inside the safe for this project to work for my size safe.. but if you have a biggin' it would be a simple project.

BTW.. the Lowe's lazy susan hold up to 500lbs.

Now while I was at Lowes I was looking at another possible solution.. a sliding gun rack. I would have to elevate the floor a bit to get even with the safe door opening, but then could use some industrial sliders (like on heavy duty drawers) and make the rack in the middle of the safe instead of the sides (so the rifles would alternate back to back in an "A" shape. But this will be put off till I have some time. Or just leave things as is.. sometimes easier. :-)

a1abdj
July 27, 2009, 09:18 PM
Now while I was at Lowes I was looking at another possible solution.. a sliding gun rack. I would have to elevate the floor a bit to get even with the safe door opening, but then could use some industrial sliders (like on heavy duty drawers) and make the rack in the middle of the safe instead of the sides (so the rifles would alternate back to back in an "A" shape. But this will be put off till I have some time. Or just leave things as is.. sometimes easier. :-)

Something like this?

http://www.gsacontainer.com/productphotos/GSACL5WL32.jpg

hawk45
July 27, 2009, 10:34 PM
Sweet!! Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking.

Landpimp
July 28, 2009, 11:10 AM
nice work, much better than my cup hangers on the door....;)
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/691553/19758672/360413266.jpg

Flame Red
July 28, 2009, 02:59 PM
Something like this?

http://www.gsacontainer.com/productphotos/GSACL5WL32.jpg
Now that is OUTSTANDING!

I believe you have gotten me motivated to building one similar, but just to take up half of the safe. Beats having to remove all the rifles to get to the one in the back!

hawk45
July 28, 2009, 06:14 PM
Looks like you can get a few more in there!!

Landpimp
July 28, 2009, 08:47 PM
I did.....:eek:

halfbreed808
July 28, 2009, 11:58 PM
Really great ideas. Thanks guys.:)

frankiestoys
August 8, 2009, 04:35 PM
Holy crap! I wish i was his best friend.

3daman!
August 8, 2009, 09:08 PM
If ya think his safe is nice ,you should see his landcruisers:cuss:

Hot brass
August 9, 2009, 11:10 AM
Looks like someone needs a larger safe. LOL.

fireflyfather
August 9, 2009, 08:19 PM
Heh. You guys finally inspired me to get off my but and put up some pegboard in the safe. If you have one of the 5 gun sentry gun cabinets (Key lock only, bare bones) that cost about $100, there is a simple way to mount pegboard. The door has two strips of reinforcing steel welded onto the inside, with a 1" gap between the door and the inside of the reinforcing bar. (The bars run vertically). This leaves a perfect gap to install spacers, pegboard and some hooks. It's crude, but you can do it with leftover scraps of pegboard (or any other similar material. I almost used some leftover laminate flooring before I spotted the pegboard).

All you do is drill into the reinforcing bar, drop in drywall anchors, and cut your backing to size. I did it in about two hours, and the only power tool was the drill. Best part? I did it entirely with scraps. Big enough for two revolvers above the lock. Probably get 3-4 below it, depending on how far down you want to extend the mounting system.

I can't get pics up anytime soon, but it doesn't look quite as nice as the above systems. However, it is possible to do in one of these tiny gun cabinets ($100) if you have a small collection and a very small budget, but need more space for handguns. The "shelf" included in this cabinet was literally 4 inches deep by 9 inches wide. Can't really store anything on it. I ended up storing handguns in cases and stacking them in one of the rifle slots. This is much better now.

strmday
August 9, 2009, 09:18 PM
OP - nice work getting those pistols stowed.
A couple of nice ideas on here as well.
I wish there was a lazy susan type thing for long guns but I think it would reduce the capaciity of my safe too much.

fireflyfather
August 10, 2009, 02:30 PM
If you do go the pegboard route, you can slip velcro cable ties between the pegboard and the hooks, and then use the plastic hook retainers to hold it in place. You have the security of velcro straps, but can move them about whenever you wish to re-arrange your pegs. I had some spare belkin ties I got from a relative (bright rainbow colors!), and they made a nice addition. Only real problem is the steel hooks could conceivably scratch a gun's finish, if that's something you care about, but a bit of caulk or similar substance could fix that easily.

If you enjoyed reading about "Project: Safe door handgun storage for $15 (pic heavy)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!