Poison Oak Problem

PDA

collector14
July 26, 2009, 10:34 AM
I feel sure that I avoided the stuff, but I think my dog got the oil on him and transferred it to me. Anyone have a sure fire cure?

If you enjoyed reading about "Poison Oak Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 26, 2009, 10:39 AM
Look up TecNu - put it on you and the dog ASAP!

collector14
July 26, 2009, 10:47 AM
Found it. On the way to the drug store now. Thanks!

collector14
July 26, 2009, 11:42 AM
Got a big tube of Tecnu Extreme. It has stopped the itching! I'm a little concerned about putting it on the dog though. Are you sure it's safe for him?

GodGuns&Guitars
July 26, 2009, 12:00 PM
Bath the dog and let him dry out. He'll be fine. This will also keep from spreading it back to you AGAIN!

Tim the student
July 26, 2009, 12:41 PM
Bathing him should be good, but if it doesn't look like it is, call your vet with the ingredients, if you know them. If not, your vet can probably tell you some other stuff that will help.

Make sure you wash everything you both have touched in hot water. If you are sensitive, this is not something you want to under do.

mbt2001
July 26, 2009, 01:11 PM
Usually, if you put ointment on your Dog, distract him (play / walk) for 20 min or so and then things should be OK. Ointment needs to to absorb. You can wipe the residual off after the 20 min absorb time.

BP44
July 26, 2009, 03:15 PM
use cold water or you will spread the oils!

KenWP
July 26, 2009, 05:11 PM
If the creams okay for a human it would not hurt a dog. Most of the drugs and such that will harm a dog are meds used for chickens and pigs. Most dog meds are just vet grade human drugs most of the time.

Larry Burchfield
July 26, 2009, 05:20 PM
The doctor can give you a shot that wil dry it up in notime flat and I suspose the vet can do the same thing for your dOG.
Larry Burchfield
SEABEES/VIETNAM/67/68/69
DAV

Tim the student
July 26, 2009, 05:54 PM
The doctor can give you a shot that wil dry it up in notime flat and I suspose the vet can do the same thing for your dOG.

Yep. Its prednisone, and it will clear it up - but only if the residual oils are gone, which might pose a problem for Fido, and you if you cross contaminated a lot of stuff. I was a medic, and had more than one guy have poison ivy on his nether regions because they cross contaminated for various reasons.

Most dog meds are just vet grade human drugs most of the time.

Key word being most. Call your vet - they should be concerned with more than making a buck.

rhinoh
July 26, 2009, 07:34 PM
Dogs do NOT get Poison Ivy but they can spread the oils to humans. The Tecnu site says to wipe down your dogs coat in a cloth saturated with the product, followed by a bath with dog shampoo.

paintballdude902
July 26, 2009, 11:53 PM
dogs can get it around the eyes i seen it happen and it is very nasty when it does

wash the dog with regular dog shampoo and he will be fine

moooose102
July 27, 2009, 10:33 AM
a poison oak problem is when you wipe yourself with the stuff! my brother went through that when he was young. it was funny, but sad. i couldn't help feeling sorry for him while i was laughing my own off at him! i learned from his mistake.

If you enjoyed reading about "Poison Oak Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!