Of Glock 40s, kbs, bulged cases and reloading

PDA

john l
October 24, 2003, 08:02 PM
Guys,
FWIW, I have reloaded 40 cal for my Glock 22 for years now, about 6K rounds, at least.
Here is what I have done to hedge my bets:
I load a 155 gr TC Berry bullet ( copper plated).
I load to about 950 feet per second,
and I experiment with overall length to load them a tad farther out to decrease pressure.
I have used win 231 and unique.
I Know Glocks have a bad rap with specifically 40 cal, and I struggled with the idea of reloading in the first place, but I haven't had a problem. As the good lord as my witness, my cases do not have case bulge, and I contribute it to my preventive maintenence.
Keep in Mind that a Fed Hydsk 155 gr is going 1200fps, (my carry load)and I am loading a 155 to 950 fps, and that still gives me a power factor of around 147 or so for way above IDPA legal SSP limit.
There will always be crap said about Glocks and 40s and reloading for them, but there are things that one can do to avoid problems
Anyone else out there gonna stick up for Glock 40s?
john l

If you enjoyed reading about "Of Glock 40s, kbs, bulged cases and reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blades67
October 24, 2003, 08:36 PM
Nope, I'll just keep loading 10mm Auto for my Glock 20.:neener:

TheeBadOne
October 24, 2003, 08:39 PM
The noise about Glock .40's is much a-due about nothing, just like the Berretas with exploding slides.... :rolleyes:
One or two cloudy incidents are used to black ball a brand that someone doesn't like. The true problem with "Glock .40;s" is the true problem with "Glocks" period, don't shoot lead bullets through them. This is because of the type of rifleing they have. A steady diet of lead bullets in their tight bore causes build up and eventually pressure problems. No lead bullets used, no problem, ever.

TheFederalistWeasel
October 24, 2003, 09:00 PM
I’ll stick to SIG’s…

;)

HSMITH
October 24, 2003, 09:51 PM
I load 180's at 1050 for my G22....... So far 1800 down the tube loaded like that, with another couple thousand lighter loads....

Preacherman
October 24, 2003, 10:15 PM
I think the biggest single contributing factor to the infamous "Glock kB!" rumors is bullet setback. I've found this with virtually every brand and bullet weight of JHP that I've tried. Since the round is operating at high pressure anyway, any degree of bullet setback will increase operating pressures to the dangerous level in very short order. I don't know if the ammo manufacturers deliberately put a light crimp on .40 S&W rounds because of the pressure problem, but I've noticed all of their ammo, without exception, will show bullet setback after five to ten cycles of a round through the action.

My solution? I don't chamber my carry loads more than two or three times - after that, it's off to the range bin with them for my next practice session. And I've never had a kB! yet... :D

I might add that since discovering this issue with the .40 S&W, I've started checking out other calibers and cartridges much, much more carefully. I've not found many problems with 9mm loads, but in .45 ACP, many of the wider-mouthed hollowpoints also show signs of bullet setback after a few cycles of the action. Fortunately, the .45 is a low-pressure round, so the consequences of minor setback are seldom problematic: however, I now apply the same rule to this cartridge as I do to .40 S&W, and relegate my carry loads to the practice box after two or three times through the action.

Tamara
October 24, 2003, 10:25 PM
...also note that bullet setback in .40 gives increasingly dramatic results with heavier bullets. It doesn't take much setback at all to turn a warm 180gr load into a potential grenade. :uhoh:

Pumpkinheaver
October 24, 2003, 11:05 PM
I loaded for a glock 23 for several years in the 90's and had zero problems with my ammunition.

10-Ring
October 25, 2003, 01:32 AM
Me, reloads & Glocks don't get along :uhoh: Good luck if you've found a formula that works ya ;)

355sigfan
October 25, 2003, 03:31 AM
TheeBadOne

KB's do happen and it happens far more than we would like to admit.

TheFederalistWeasel I had a sig 229 KB in 40sw, its not just a GLock problem. Its a caliber problem more than anything.
Pat

M58
October 25, 2003, 05:49 AM
.40 wanted to be a 10 mm--should have staid there!:barf:

WhoKnowsWho
October 25, 2003, 10:09 AM
I'm hoping for no problems when I begin loading for my G22, USP40, and Kahr K40 Covert. I will be taking my time for sure, and making sure there are no issues. It doesn't seem like .40s are as forgiving as .45s in my 1911 pistols. And I will be loading light for all of them. I'm am also glad my Lyman manual lists the pressures for the different weights.

Black Snowman
October 25, 2003, 10:10 AM
The only time I got case bulge was early in my reloading days when I stupidly used magnum primers behind 180 gr bullets with universal. I still reloaded that brass (with bulges and all) 5-10 times with no problems.

I figured out why I was getting the pressure signs (primers) and stopped doing that. Just to be safe, and because they're more accurate from my gun I've switched to Star 165 gr FMJ TC.

Next batch of 1000 bullets I get I'm going to switch to 155 gr because that's the magic "sweet spot" for max muzzle energy w/ lowest pressure.

FireInTheHole
October 25, 2003, 11:46 AM
My G22 makes slightly bulged cases... I reload to medium power levels. (165gr rainer 6.2-6.3 PP)

.40 135gr can be reloaded to match 10mm factory loads. (usually in 1400fps range)

I dont experiment with multiple fired .40 brass anymore though, just with one fired from a non-glock handgun. (we keep records) Chance of KB scares the crap out of me. :eek:

No bulged cases from wally-world specials from my g22 though. (Underpowered??)

EDIT: Can bullet setback be combated by using a powder that fills most of the case?

M58
October 25, 2003, 04:08 PM
Yes.

SigP220ST_Guy
October 25, 2003, 04:38 PM
My Glock 22 does NOT bulge cases. But I am sure to use new high quality ammunition and do not re-chamber rounds over and over to create set back.

curt
October 25, 2003, 04:55 PM
I've never had any problems with either of my 40 glocks, i figure things can get so blown out of proportion on the internet that i always take anything i read with about a pound of salt.

Recently i fired 100 rds of lead bullets through my G35 ( i had accidently ordered a 1,000 rd case of it). went home and found that the barrel was indeed heavily leaded..but nothing a couple of minutes with my brush and some good solvent couldn't take care of. i won't have any qualms about finishing the case off, although i won't be purchasing any more non-jacketed ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Of Glock 40s, kbs, bulged cases and reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!