handgun bullets

PDA

Nicodemus38
July 26, 2009, 11:13 PM
id like to see what kind of performance users have achieved using off the shelf ammunition for 45 colt and 44 magnum and 44 special in handguns. and i am not interested in 45 colt ruger only loads.

I just want to see what results you get with factory ammunition. seen photos online where "famous" bullets like silver tip deform less then a 32acp hollowpoint into jello.

If you enjoyed reading about "handgun bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
July 26, 2009, 11:26 PM
If you ain't interested in "Ruger only" .45s, stick with the .44.

I shoot hard cast SWCs that DON'T expand by design for hunting, at least in .357 magnum. I don't see where expansion is necessary or desirable in a hunting bullet. All it does is limit penetration. Not a big deal on deer, but a big hog needs penetration.

kanook
July 28, 2009, 09:51 AM
Ruger BH 4 5/8, 45lc ; 230lb boar, 20 yds, Winchester Silvertip, bounced or richochete of head, 200gr target load swc gave it two new holes in the head and dropped right there.

GP100man
July 28, 2009, 08:20 PM
i have my flinch conquered & lengthened my range , if a good swc was good enuff for Elmer Kieth it` good enuff for me . i`ll take 2 holes bleedin` anyday. i used to swear by hps when younger ,but i never took more than a 25yd shot ,so i knew the hp would open up.

GP100man

.38 Special
July 28, 2009, 08:31 PM
Standard pressure .45 Colt and .44 Special are not suitable for hunting big game, IMO. Yes, they can and do work, but so does .22 LR. Standard pressure Colt loads barely exceed .45 ACP loads and factory .44 Special loads are good for plinking and not much else. Frankly, I don't see any use for either load outside of plinking and cowboy action shooting. Handloaded to reasonable pressures, they both become fantastic cartridges, though.

If you are stuck with factory loads only then the .44 Magnum is the only game in town, and is at its best with 240-250 grain cast bullets -- either the standard semi-wadcutter, or (better) the LBT style LFN.

hogslayer
July 29, 2009, 11:55 AM
I second 38 Specials comment on standard 45 colt loads. I load a hard cast 300 gr in my 45 Long colt and it will put down just about anything I care to make a good shot on.

Hogslayer

usmc1371
July 29, 2009, 12:41 PM
I shot a smallish buck with 44 mag using federal 300g cast core factory loads from a ruger super blackhawk and had full pass through on high shoulder shot, I was very happy with this load. Shot a cow elk in the base of the kneck with the same load, broke spine and found bullet under the hide about 8" of penatration but through an elk spine. The elk was being recoverd for a disabled hunter and was soposed to be "dead". When I got close she decided it was time to be not dead and jumped up and ran a few yards and looked back. If I had thought for a second that she may actuly still be alive I would have had a rifle in my hand.
I guess I really like the thought of good hardcast bullets for hunting with a hand gun.

Nicodemus38
July 29, 2009, 11:12 PM
but is expansion possible with a 300 grain jhp or jsp from a 45 colt with standard pressure loads? I know it would be best to get a ruger in 45 casull and just split hair with how hard to push the slugs, but i just cant get the whole ruger way of ding the internals.

If you enjoyed reading about "handgun bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!