Where are the primers

PDA

wvshooter
July 26, 2009, 11:55 PM
I need/want small pistol primers. I have 1400. I would like to have two to three thousand more. I would not turn my back on an additional 5k. Our esteemed new anti 2nd amendment president in chief has frightened a few, or should I say a few thousands of my like minded gun enthusiast friends into scarfing up every small pistol primer in north America. So let's get down to the issue as it is today. Where/how can I score some small pistol primers. And please don't refer me to Gun Broker where certain opportunist are getting double the normal rate. If I have to hunker down for another year I will not pay those kind of prices.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where are the primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Birdmang
July 26, 2009, 11:57 PM
The only reason you cant find any is because people scarf up 5k of them.

Tim the student
July 27, 2009, 01:29 AM
Keep your eyes open. My local stores get them in occasionally, but you have to be quick - they go quickly as we all know.

JCisHe
July 27, 2009, 01:36 AM
Yeah man, the very framing of your question says why we can't get any primers. You need an additional 5k on top of your 1400? Shhhh...

That's why prices are going to stay up, quantities be scarce, and people continue to complain. They can sit on the shelf at the store. They don't need to be hoarded away in everyones "end of the world" supply.

I mean, man, I got 2k over 8 months, and still have 400 left. This post makes me angry. Couldn't you just wait until you break the 1k mark and then buy another 1k? That should be, even if you are shooting 200 every week, which you're probably not, 5 weeks supply and it's more likely 5 months supply! Yet, gotta have 2-5k more right now!

This has nothing to do with Obama, he might have been the catalyst, just because he's democrat, but now it's just plain old greed.

evan price
July 27, 2009, 07:26 AM
JCisHe: "Judge not, etc..."

I shoot a lot. I try to keep 10K small pistol and 5K large pistol in stock. It's not uncommon to pop off a thousand in one range session. As far as hoarding, there are those that stock up. Then there are those who choose to buy flashlight batteries and bottled water when the hurricane is barely hours away from landfall, too. They usually are not successful in getting what they need.

Don't blame me, I bought my flashlight batteries and bottled water and primers months ago.

JimKirk
July 27, 2009, 07:45 AM
Problem is there is a hurricane in the gulf, the east coast, the west coast and one in each of the great lakes! Until people stop buying 30,000 every time the find them there are going to be hurricanes everywhere!

Jimmy K

theoneandonlyhoppy
July 27, 2009, 08:18 AM
It's going to be a while before primers are widely available again. The manufacturers have completed ammunition as their top priority and components come after that. As long as factory ammo is flying off the shelves as fast as they can make it component availability will be scarce. Your best bet for today is to find a dealer that will take backorders and wait in line.

Nate1778
July 27, 2009, 09:11 AM
Might as well get used to Hunkering. Put in a back order at Grafs, that should take care of you in 2010. Otherwise watch places like Wideners and be ready to pull the trigger on some when they become available. There is a reason the ones on Gunbroker are so high, demand is strong and supply is nonexistent.

MikeS.
July 27, 2009, 09:27 AM
Hey the OP is in Charleston, WV. the most dangerous spot in the state. He could go through 500 rounds in a weekend easy. Fighting off the drug crazed Zombies. :)

atbarr
July 27, 2009, 09:33 AM
If he purchases these online, it would be stupid to buy only a 1000, due to the Hazmat charges.

A.T.

moooose102
July 27, 2009, 12:18 PM
look in small, "mom and pops" type of shops. they get less traffic, and if it has been in business for some time, usually have a strong aliance with suppliers. i have two small old time gunsmiths that are reasonable distance from me, and i can usually find primers when i need them. but share the wealth. others out there need them also. when i buy, i buy 1k at a time. in fact, both of the two have comented about people hoarding stuff. i do not think they would allow any one customer to buy out their whole inventory.

JCisHe
July 27, 2009, 12:20 PM
Doesn't have to do with judging it has to do with reality. Perhaps Evan, you shoot 1000 rnds a range session (which seems like MASSIVE over-kill) but not many do and just buying primers to have primers is causing this whole mess. I mean, you're the guy who wiped out the supply shelf 10 minutes before me and two other guys got there to get 1k so we could load some rounds and take our nephews out shooting. Why? So you could have 10k and blast 1k a range session?

Atbarr, that's right but how many people really need 5k? Why are the stores empty? Why can't we keep a SINGLE pack of 1k on the shelf? I mean, guys come in and say, "well, I only need 1k but I may as well take all 10k because supply is scarce" and then... there we go. Supply really is scarce. We should be able to pick up 1k on a shelf and order 10k (which very FEW people actually need) from the internet.

It's just greed. The funny thing about it is very few people, with 10k primers, would be willing to share with a guy. Even though they have a years supply (and most people 10 years supply) they can't part with them because they might not be able to get any! Ridiculous!

Birdmang
July 27, 2009, 12:21 PM
Thank you^

Gryffydd
July 27, 2009, 12:28 PM

I mean, man, I got 2k over 8 months, and still have 400 left. This post makes me angry. Couldn't you just wait until you break the 1k mark and then buy another 1k? That should be, even if you are shooting 200 every week, which you're probably not, 5 weeks supply and it's more likely 5 months supply! Yet, gotta have 2-5k more right now!

Who are you to tell him how much he shoots, or should shoot? You are not the measuring stick of what people should do. If somebody typically loads up 500-1000 rounds of a particular load at one time, having 5k primers on hand doesn't go very far. What's sad is that you're probably the same people who rail against 'redistribution of wealth' but you'd love to redistribute primers :scrutiny: And what if it is a 5 months supply? So what? What's wrong with somebody getting what they can, if they can in order to plan for their future? Nothing's stopping you from doing the same thing. I work hard to get primers, you can too.

I can see getting a little frustrated at people who buy them with the specific purpose of scalping them, but hey, it's a free country, it's a capitalist economy. It's not our place to stop them. Just beat them to the store if you want them so badly.

You're the guy who wiped out the supply shelf 10 minutes before me and two other guys got there to get 1k so we could load some rounds and take our nephews out shooting. Why? So you could have 10k and blast 1k a range session?
Maybe you should have gotten there 15 minutes earlier. Or maybe worked a little harder in finding them over the last 6 months. It hasn't been that hard, it just takes a little patience. You KNOW there's a shortage, yet you try to walk into a store to buy 100 primers you need for THAT day? That's YOUR fault, not the guy who happened in before you.

It's just greed. The funny thing about it is very few people, with 10k primers, would be willing to share with a guy.
I have right at about 10,000 primers right now. I've picked them up here and there over the last 6 months. 5k just came in from Midway last week. I've shot half that many in the same time period. I'd be happy to share them at cost with any of my friends. I've given a couple hundred to my brother. Who are these people who won't share? Do you KNOW them, or are you just making assumptions? I load a lot, I shoot a lot, and I didn't have access to any stores, deals, information, or methods that you don't also. I'm in a position to shoot however much I feel like because I've made the effort. You could be too.

JCisHe
July 27, 2009, 12:33 PM
Gryf, it's not about "redistributing primers" it's about the fact that while things are tough people need to just relax and QUITE buying up EVERYTHING so that this supply problem might quite. Look, when you're not depriving 5 reloaders behind you of shooting 2 hundred a range session, once a month, so that you can have 10k primers or each kind, then fine, have 10k. When things are hard like this guys, share a little bit. It's not that hard.

Gryffydd
July 27, 2009, 12:37 PM
Some of you guys seem to be forgetting that some of us need more than one kind of primer. I need Regular and Magnum in large pistol and small pistol as well as large rifle. This means that if I have a whopping 5k primers, that may only be enough for 1,000 or less of one type of primer. Now consider that some of us shoot a lot of different calibers. I could load up 5k primers and not have more than 250 of any given load.

JCisHe
July 27, 2009, 12:40 PM
Gryf, I'm not railing against you. Look, I too need rifle and pistol primers but I don't need 6,400 SPP's. Do you get what I'm saying?

1858rem
July 27, 2009, 12:41 PM
not necessarily people taking all the primers, manufacturers are trying to keep up with demand and loaded ammo is priority #1, so untill manfg's catch up its gonna be scarce, as im sure someone else has previously mentioned.

USSR
July 27, 2009, 12:43 PM
Quit your whining, JCisHe. Next thing you know, Obama will want to make you the primer Czar.;)

Don

Gryffydd
July 27, 2009, 12:44 PM
It's not that hard.
But neither is finding your own primers! Call your local stores, find out when they take deliveries, stop by on you lunch hour some times, stop by after work some times. Set up in-stock notifications at Midway, Grafs, Natchez, etc.
It's very simple. Inventory = Demand During Lead Time + Safety Stock*. It took me 3 months to get my hands on large pistol primers, so I bought enough to last me another 3-5 months (and enough to dilute the hazmat charge). It's just common sense.

JCisHe
July 27, 2009, 12:45 PM
Manufacturer's are running 24 hours a day and they can't keep up because people are BUYING EVERYTHING that could just sit on the shelf until the next range session.

Who needs 10k rounds? 6,400 SPP's? I mean come on 1858, can't you see this isn't just a supply issue? It's a supply issue because people are buying and buying and buying. One poster said, "I'm looking forward to the estate sales of all these hoarders." And he's right. Folks are gonna die fully stocked with the stuff they deprived us of today. You watch.

Gryffydd
July 27, 2009, 12:46 PM
Gryf, I'm not railing against you. Look, I too need rifle and pistol primers but I don't need 6,400 SPP's. Do you get what I'm saying?
That's fine. By all means, don't buy 6,400 SPPs. Just don't complain about people who do need them. Your needs don't equal others needs, nor do you get to decide what other people "need."
I don't mean "you" personally, just the general idea.

JCisHe
July 27, 2009, 12:47 PM
Gryf,

WHO NEEDS THEM? Are you going to be staving off the united states armed forces soon? Some other foreign military? What about the OP? I mean come on. Beside, I've got 400 primers and about 500 loaded rounds. I'm good for 2 months before I need to start looking. What I'm saying is... it doesn't matter. Obviously folks would rather hoard than share.

Gryffydd
July 27, 2009, 12:48 PM
Folks are gonna die fully stocked with the stuff they deprived us of today. You watch.
They deprived you of nothing. You had the exact same opportunity to buy primers that they did.

1858rem
July 27, 2009, 12:50 PM
cool it or this will be locked soon enough

JCisHe
July 27, 2009, 12:51 PM
And there is the culprit. That's why some folks want redistribution of various things. Because other's can't do what's right, admit they were wrong, or even care about John Doe.

"They had the same opportunity I had!" Yeah, but they got there ten minutes after you did.

Gryffydd
July 27, 2009, 12:51 PM
WHO NEEDS THEM? Are you going to be staving off the united states armed forces soon? Some other foreign military? What about the OP? I mean come on. Beside, I've got 400 primers and about 500 loaded rounds. I'm good for 2 months before I need to start looking. What I'm saying is... it doesn't matter. Obviously folks would rather hoard than share.
OK, now I'm talking about you personally...
Honestly, who do you think you are to determine what other people need? Take a deep look into yourself and figure out why you think you get to decide that sort of thing for other people.
Maybe I need that many primers because I like to shoot 1,000 rounds a month. Maybe I'm preparing for the next volcano to blow here in WA, maybe I like how they look on my shelf, maybe I compete in IPSC. Bottom line is, it's none of your business whether I need them or not.
"They had the same opportunity I had!" Yeah, but they got there ten minutes after you did.
Yeah, and the last 5 times I went, somebody got there before me. I just kept at it till I got some. I didn't whine about it on the internet, I just kept trying till I got what I needed. No big deal.

KenWP
July 27, 2009, 01:02 PM
How long do primers last any ways. I have a bunch that have to be going on 10 years old now. I haven't had to shoot much for the last few years. I have powder going on 20 years old also.

USSR
July 27, 2009, 01:55 PM
How long do primers last any ways. I have a bunch that have to be going on 10 years old now.

They've got a shelf-life equal to or greater than the shelf they sit on.

Don

Mags
July 27, 2009, 02:01 PM
Didn't read every post so hope this wasn't mentioned earlier.
Just get in line on Cabela's backorder lists make sure you tell em to ship all your items together so you only get one Haz charge, and make sure you read the fine print on every email they send you.

Gryffydd
July 27, 2009, 02:18 PM
Also, MidwayUSA gets primers in stock once every couple of weeks. They go back out of stock in half an hour or less, but if you sign up to be notified that they're in stock all you have to do is hop on the site and put in your order. I missed out twice when some came in and managed to get some on the third time some came in stock since I started waiting for them.

Also, Wolf primers have been in stock all over the place for the last 2 weeks or so.

I should also mention that I made a post here letting everyone know WLPs were in stock at Midway. They stayed in stock for at least half an hour after I made my post. Primers are out there to be had at normal prices. Just don't expect them to fall into your lap. I don't mind sharing information, and I don't mind sharing primers with my friends and family.

RoostRider
July 27, 2009, 02:56 PM
I have at least 10,000 primers on my shelf.... I have had at least 10,000 primers on my shelf for over 10 years.... every time I used some, I would go and get some more.... am I one of the hoarders then? I was only buying 1,000 at a time.... and I am not buying more than I use.... I just happened to always think that having 10,000 primers on hand was a good idea, and I still do.... just in case, you know?..... lol.... "in case of what?" is what you would have been saying 1 year ago...

JCisHe
July 27, 2009, 03:04 PM
I'm still saying "in case of what?" right now. Although since you had 10k for 10 years, only refill what's used, and that's 1k at a time... you're not a culprit.

lgbloader
July 27, 2009, 03:10 PM
cool it or this will be locked soon enough

I agree. I see both your points, fellas, but what it is is what it is.

LGB

Gryffydd
July 27, 2009, 03:19 PM
you're not a culprit.
The only culprits for the shortage are the manufacturers who can't keep up with demand. Now if you don't have enough primers yourself, the only culprit is you ;)
The current demand for primers can't all be people who are buying more than you think they should. There are a lot of factors that have come together at the same time. You have our soldiers burning through a ton of ammo, you have a lot of new shooters who are buying factory ammo, you have a lot of new reloaders who are buying components, you have a lot of people concerned about being prepared for the worst, you have a lot of people who are exercising common sense and buying in accordance with the lead times, and yes there are scalpers out there too etc. etc. You can't just pick out any one of those and blame it for the whole problem.

lgbloader
July 27, 2009, 03:20 PM
I hear Johnny coming any minute...

LGB

coloradokevin
July 27, 2009, 03:25 PM
Problem is there is a hurricane in the gulf, the east coast, the west coast and one in each of the great lakes! Until people stop buying 30,000 every time the find them there are going to be hurricanes everywhere!

Exactly!

Over the last few months everyone has also said "be quick" and "check back often" with the local gun stores. Unfortunately, either of the two places where I'd normally look for primers are more than 20 minutes from my house. Plus, no one at either of these two places knows when they'll be getting more in... I haven't been able to get small pistol primers in months, simply because I can't get to them in time when they do come in!

I'll call the local gun shop and ask, and they'll say, "oh yeah, we had some this morning, but they are gone now... keep checking back". Well, that doesn't do me a whole lot of good if I am not available to spend all of my waking hours camped out at a gun store in hopes that primers might show up on any given day! So, unless I find a local dealer that will backorder, or I get very lucky, it looks like I'll be waiting a while for primers.

BTW, having a few thousand primers isn't hoarding in my mind (5,000, etc), depending on how much you shoot. But, some folks are stocking over a few hundred thousand right now! That might just be a wee bit excessive, and is certainly going to be an issue if their local fire department ever gets wind of it!

Seedtick
July 27, 2009, 03:27 PM
Hey Guys, Cabela's only charges 1 HazMat fee per order. I emailed them and asked about it and here is their reply:

From Cablea's Customer Service -

Hello Greg,

There is only one $20.00 hazardous fee on the order, regardless of how many boxes we ship the order in.

The shipping cost of backorder is allocated. An example of this would be if your shipping cost is $16.95, we might use $8.95 shipping to send your in stock items now , and save the remaining $8.00 for your backordered item(s). Keep in mind that we do not charge for the item or it's shipping cost , until your backorder has been shipped to you .

If you have further questions, please contact us at 1-800-237-8888 or at our online chat room at:
http://cabelas.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/cabelas.cfg/php/enduser/chat.php

Have a great day !
Shelley

I've not gotten any of the primers that I ordered from them yet but I have gotten all the powder. It came in 2 orders and I've still not been charged all of the HazMat fee yet. Hope this helps.

ST

Gryffydd
July 27, 2009, 03:31 PM
Over the last few months everyone has also said "be quick" and "check back often" with the local gun stores.
Time to go mail order then. All the primers I've gotten recently have been from either Grafs or MidwayUSA. Buy 5k, and with Hazmat & shipping, but without sales tax and you're still on track.

I hear Johnny coming any minute...
This still looks like a pretty good discussion to me... people are still providing information on how to get primers, what's not working for them, and all the various reasons they're harder to get these days.

JCisHe
July 27, 2009, 06:38 PM
There are obviously multiple factors in the primer shortage but people buying EVERYTHING on the shelf is just plain rude.

I didn't say what someone "needed" I just think it's pretty obvious that people don't "need" HUGE quantities of primers and powder and bullets. We need enough to go to the range and when times are tough it would be kind to take a break on the shelf grabbing greed and let some other folks shoot too. It's nice some of you have enough components right now and can go to the range every week for a year and shoot 1k rounds a week but it's crap when guys like Colorado can't get any at all because you folks cleaned the shelves off in a matter of 20 minutes.

That is jerky no matter how you try to rationalize it. 5k isn't hoarding, usually, but when there is only 10k on the shelve and 2 guys get it! That is... well, it's just not right. Look, I have enough ammo/components for about 5-6 months. In 2 I plan to start looking and out of decency when I see a shelf of ?k I'm not taking most/more than I need/or all of it because "it's hard to find and I better get mine". I plan to let some other folks shoot too and you better believe if the guy behind me grabs everything on the shelf I'll say the very thing I'm saying right here to him. Guys like Colorado want to shoot too.

If you can't agree with that I personally think you're a pretty bad person.

Gryffydd
July 27, 2009, 07:06 PM
If you can't agree with that I personally think you're a pretty bad person.
I can agree that if you buy stuff you DON'T need just so others can't get them, yeah, you're a pretty bad person. But if you need 'em, get 'em. That doesn't make you a bad person. It's the motivation for your buying them, not whether you take all that's on the shelf or not that determines what kind of person you are.

It all goes back to what I've been saying...primers are out there to be had, without paying scalpers prices. You just have to work at it. Everybody in the whole country had an EQUAL opportunity the other day to buy WLP primers from Midway (and several other types over the last 3-4 weeks), or Wolf primers from just about anybody. If they didn't do it it's not my problem.

Guys like Colorado want to shoot too.
Then, knowing the situation all along, they ought to think more than a couple days in advance. You can't walk into a gun store, KNOWING there's a shortage of primers, and be genuinely surprised and upset to find none on the shelf.

people buying EVERYTHING on the shelf is just plain rude.
If they need the primers they're just lucky (or have put forth the effort), not rude.

wvshooter
July 27, 2009, 07:54 PM
Personally I don't care if someone buys 10,000 primers. I honestly don't care if one person buys 50,000 primers. It's their business. I don't whine about what other people do and I'm not whining about the difficulty of finding primers. I'd like to be shooting 500 rounds per month but I have drastically cut back because I feel it's important to keep ample loaded ammo and ample ammo reloading components on hand. Thanks for the idea about getting in line at Graf's. I think that's what I'll do cause I'm having no luck buying locally or online.

Gryffydd
July 27, 2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the idea about getting in line at Graf's.
Make sure you sign up for in stock notifications at all the online retailers you can find. With MidwayUSA, sometimes they send the email before they show up as in stock, so if you get the email on your blackberry or otherwise immediately and you go to the page and they show out of stock, don't give up. Stick around and refresh the page frequently for 10 minutes or so.
You can also enter the URL for product listing pages (for sites that include all pertinent information in the URL) into a site like http://www.changedetection.com/ You can set up a free account that will email or SMS you when they detect a change on the page. I got the text message and the email from Midway almost simultaneously--about 2 minutes after the email was sent.

As a side note, Powder Valley currently has several types of Wolf primers in stock.

wvshooter
July 27, 2009, 08:08 PM
Got my order in at Graf's for 5000 CCI. I think the total was $136 after hazmat and shipping. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Gryffydd
July 27, 2009, 08:15 PM
On another note, I had previously ordered 1-2k of several different primers on the same order from Graf's. They got one in (Federal SPP), called me and said, hey, we have your 1k primers you ordered, but would you take 5k so you're not paying $20 hazmat for $30 in primers? Naturally I said that'd be fine. The last conversation I had with someone at Graf's their feeling was that Federals were coming in at the steadiest pace, followed by Winchester and then CCI.

USSR
July 27, 2009, 09:42 PM
I didn't say what someone "needed" I just think it's pretty obvious that people don't "need" HUGE quantities of primers and powder and bullets.

It's not a question of "need", it's a question of "desire". I have been overseas quite a bit in the former Soviet Union, and the last time I looked, this here is the good 'ol USA. Nobody tells us what, when, and how much to buy.

Don

Tim the student
July 27, 2009, 09:48 PM
It's not a question of "need", it's a question of "desire".

True, but when people buy all of them (like 12 thousand) right in front of you, and you ask them if you can buy a hundred, and they reply with "sure, 6 bucks," then that makes me desire to punch them.

WLE
July 27, 2009, 09:50 PM
For now this is ture but I see change in the horizon, change we can believe in.

Mags
July 27, 2009, 09:53 PM
How has any of this helped anyone find primers?

WLE
July 27, 2009, 09:55 PM
I have bought primers at local gun shows, LPmag LP CCI Federal etc. all for hand guns and some small and Large rifle, If I was a real hog I could have purchased 20,000 primer but instead I bought 5K did not want to contribute to the frenzy just like the gas in the 70"s

WLE
July 27, 2009, 10:00 PM
I beleive that if people chill out a little there will be plenty for all.

Walkalong
July 27, 2009, 10:02 PM
yawn......

WLE
July 27, 2009, 10:04 PM
Just like the recent gas crisis people were filling up their tanks when they were 3/4 full.

Gryffydd
July 27, 2009, 10:32 PM
How has any of this helped anyone find primers?

Well, for just one example
As a side note, Powder Valley currently has several types of Wolf primers in stock.

Mags
July 27, 2009, 10:35 PM
I was referring to all the bickering my bad, I figured people would know I was not talking about the helpful information but I was in fact talking about the bickering. I thought maybe they could even use that thing what is it called? Oh yeah its called COMMON SENSE!

JimGun
July 27, 2009, 10:47 PM
I was at a gun show in Pasadena, Texas on Saturday. Got there when they opened up and was surprised to find CCI Large Pistol Primers available. The price was $25. for a 1k which i didn't think was bad; only five dollars more than I paid last year. So try your gun shows, but get there early, is my advise.

taliv
July 27, 2009, 11:12 PM
powder valley has wolf LP primers in stock

azvarminthunter
July 27, 2009, 11:23 PM
I have not had much of a problem with my stock pile. I of course has been less picky about brands right now but found a group who as long as you are willing to provide a list what you need has been able to find anything I have wanted with a little time. Personal Choice Outfitters, personalchoiceoutfitters.com is a newer company. They do not have much listed on their website, but I have emailed them several times and each time they were able to get what I wanted. I was looking for some cheap surplus powder WC 852 an WC 844. In no time flat they found me as much as 100 pounds for under $6 a pound. They seem to be willing to work out great deals.

PT1911
July 27, 2009, 11:35 PM
the problem is... 500,000 primers of every size fit neatly into the closet and when you remove one of the 1000 count bricks it leaves a pesky hole in the primer wall...

any why on earth should someone buy just one 1000 count brick for 30 bucks when they can buy 5 and sell 4 of them for 80 bucks each?

JCisHe
July 27, 2009, 11:41 PM
Right.

Mags
July 27, 2009, 11:48 PM
Not to mention why the heck should a person pay a 20 buck Hazmat fee and only order 1k primers? Shoot, if they are going to charge me 20 bucks every time I order primers I am going to order as much as I can afford.

evan price
July 28, 2009, 03:51 AM
I guess it will really torque off JCisHe to know that I just took delivery of 95,000 Wolf primers- 80K small pistol and 15K large rifle. $2500 on my credit card. But worth it!

Before anyone blows a head gasket, be aware I am the honcho of a group buy for my organization that exceeded 200K primers. This is the second half of that group buy that Powder Valley finally got in stock.

My actual portion of it was only around 15K or so.

So primers are out there- you just had to order them SIX MONTHS AGO to get them today.

coloradokevin
July 28, 2009, 05:41 AM
Guys like Colorado want to shoot too. Then, knowing the situation all along, they ought to think more than a couple days in advance. You can't walk into a gun store, KNOWING there's a shortage of primers, and be genuinely surprised and upset to find none on the shelf.

Well, it isn't always so simple, Gryffydd! In my case, while I've shot guns for about 25 years, I only started reloading in the past two years. I've taken my time trying to develop loads, and trying to determine what components worked best with the ammunition I'm assembling. As such, I didn't just rush out and buy 5K primers of any given type from the outset, because I didn't really know what I liked/disliked when I started out.

Right around the time that the shortage hit, I was just starting to think about buying more components... I have finally come to a point where I shoot more handloads than I shoot factory ammo, and I enjoy shooting the ammo that I've built. But, there aren't really primers to be found at the moment! I have about 1,000 SR primers on hand, but only about 100 SP primers (mainly because I started loading for rifle, and later added in some pistol calibers... as such, I have more components on hand for the calibers I've been loading longer).

In short, I have been thinking more than a few days ahead! I've been checking my gun stores on a weekly basis for about the past 6 months, and I haven't been lucky enough to hit them at the right time! I really prefer to buy locally, but I have even considered buying online for these items (Powdervalley was dry for quite some time, as were many of the other sites).

357mag357
July 28, 2009, 08:36 AM
42.95 for 1K for large pistol non-magnum Remington. I paid 19.99 for 1K Wolf large pistol a year and half ago.

WLE
July 28, 2009, 08:46 AM
I always find primers at gun shows, usally I find ferderal and CCI LPM and LP. They are out there.

Gryffydd
July 28, 2009, 11:32 AM
I've been checking my gun stores on a weekly basis for about the past 6 months, and I haven't been lucky enough to hit them at the right time! I really prefer to buy locally, but I have even considered buying online for these items (Powdervalley was dry for quite some time, as were many of the other sites).
If your local stores are dry, it's definitely time to hit the internet. I ordered 5k Federal SPP from Grafs the beginning of April, got them around the end of May. Midway gets them in stock fairly frequently. I ordered and received 5k WLPs from them 2 weeks ago. Powder valley still has Wolf primers in stock. That's not much, but that's just over the last couple of months, not the last 6. Part of what you have to do in a shortage like this is not be brand picky. Unless you've got light sprung revolvers hand you have to use Federal, or you're doing benchrest shooting, switching the primer in a load is not really a big deal. Re chrono it, adjust if needed and you're off.

RoostRider
July 30, 2009, 04:02 AM
I'm still saying "in case of what?" right now. Although since you had 10k for 10 years, only refill what's used, and that's 1k at a time... you're not a culprit.

Just in case of what you ask?

Just in case of THIS I answer.... lol.... I have always, since I started reloading many years ago, thought that keeping a ready supply of components is important.... I rotate them as I go, and I always have enough to load up and go shooting whenever I want....

JCisHe
July 30, 2009, 04:34 AM
Roost, if that's honestly all it's about then more power to you man. I've got no problem with old timers who shoot, been shooting, and enjoy reloading. Keep a good stock. But I do have issue with folks who are guying massive supplies at the peril of other shooters for some perceived end of the world incident that in reality they will never use even if there is some catastrophe. Give some other folks a shot and quite being greedy... that's what I'm saying.

Walkalong
July 30, 2009, 08:02 AM
I used to keep a couple K around, but ever since the first primer shortage, I have kept more than that. Lots of folks do. We have not had to scramble or quit shooting, just wonder if we too will run out before things get better. It is getting better, although the ones that missed the boat are now stocking up for next time, and are slowing recovery down a bit. No biggie, it will get back to normal soon.

James Thomson
July 30, 2009, 08:39 AM
Panic buying is driving the price up to about $40.00 per thousand. The sad thing is once they go up don't expect them to go back down. Just buy what you need and no more. I bought mine when supplies were pleniful.

Deavis
July 30, 2009, 05:32 PM
it will really torque off JCisHe to know that I just took delivery of 95,000 Wolf primers- 80K small pistol and 15K large rifle.

Only 95k? Come on man, you have to break 200k to brag like that. Competition for resources, there are winners, losers, and whiners. Only that latter upset me. You get those from PV? That's why I couldn't fill my SP order and had to get them from Graf's.

PT1911
July 30, 2009, 05:38 PM
guy came into the shop today trying to sell them 80 thousand primers (well above retail much less wholesale cost)

that is where the primers have gone...

BTW... from what I hear, natchez is selling to individuals before supplying their wholesalers and thus your local retail store.. just feeding the problem.

Ky Larry
July 30, 2009, 07:37 PM
People are giving me primers. A fellow at work gave me 800 Win sr primers. His son had gotten out of reloading. Neighbor ladies husband passed away so she gave me 1000 CCI LP mag primers and 150 MagTech lr primers. Not a lot but it helps. It's good to be loved.:)

P51D
July 30, 2009, 09:29 PM
Share the love, Ky Larry!! Share the love!! ;)

WV_Vizsla
July 31, 2009, 01:15 AM
Hi WVShooter,
Have you checked Sparks Sport center?? Mid state, two stores, one in flatwoods outlet mall. 3 months ago they offered 1K@ $40. Do you shoot IDPA in Morgantown this weekend? I'm sure I could spare a K to keep you in the game.
Check your PM

JCisHe
August 1, 2009, 12:37 AM
Good man WV_Visla!

Seafarer12
August 1, 2009, 04:21 PM
Last week PV had wolf's in stock for 25.50 per 1k. I was looking in the for sale section and saw someone selling them for 40 per 1k. Pretty tidy profit. I ordered 10k from PV, 7 for me 3 for friends. If people would quit paying twice as much for primers as they were worth people would quit trying to sell them for that much.

mgkdrgn
August 1, 2009, 04:41 PM
powder valley has wolf LP primers in stock

Not anymore.

Geezer59
August 1, 2009, 06:00 PM
Notice that Powder Valley used to list a 5K price for each primer type, but that's also gone now? Guess we're stuck with either no primers at all, or buying them 1K at a time...:barf:

Seafarer12
August 1, 2009, 07:46 PM
Notice that Powder Valley used to list a 5K price for each primer type, but that's also gone now? Guess we're stuck with either no primers at all, or buying them 1K at a time...

I am sure they will get back to it when they get cought up on orders and people quit freaking out thinking Obama is going to take all their guns and ammo.

45ACPUSER
August 1, 2009, 08:03 PM
Things are getting better that is for sure. But, perhaps some of the newer and some of the whining reloaders will take note to learn to stay a head of the curve, and not end up behind the curve. This is not hoarding, but rather proper planning!

Geezer59
August 2, 2009, 10:16 AM
Not to give the wrong impression, I too have an ample stash of reloading components - some dating back to before the Clinton years. A couple of the boxes of Winchester 1k small pistol primers that I just used were marked $7.25, if that gives you an idea of how long ago they were purchased.

But I'd like to be able to replace what I use, even if it would cost me $51.00 to replace what I once paid $14.50 to buy. I guess I'll just put primers on my shopping list, and wait until prices come down and availability goes up. It's the best one can do under trying circumstances.

BLJimmy
August 2, 2009, 10:31 AM
And please don't refer me to Gun Broker where certain opportunist are getting double the normal rate. If I have to hunker down for another year I will not pay those kind of prices.
Amen on those #*&^@ on Gunbroker.

Redneck with a 40
August 2, 2009, 10:49 AM
I'm fortunate that I have enough SP and SR/LR primers to get me through another year. I would certainly hope that things will return to normal by then!

Gryffydd
September 18, 2009, 04:24 PM
Midway has Federal SPM in stock.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=865638

redneck2
September 18, 2009, 07:03 PM
My local dealer had maybe 20k on the shelf the other day(9-13-09).

If you enjoyed reading about "Where are the primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!