Scent Lok

PDA

blackops
July 27, 2009, 04:59 AM
I've become addicted to ordering hunting clothing and equipment from Cabelas like girls to Nordstroms. It's getting kind of out of hand, but whatever. I've started buying all my clothing with scent lok. People have been telling me that you don't need it and in some cases I agree. I bowhunt and feel silent tech with scent lok is a must! Even for rifle hunting for pig, deer, elk, or whatever I just don't see the disadvantages to wearing scent lok other than a little heat. Usually scent lok has a bit more layering I understand, but I say...hey it cant hurt its only going to help. Whats your guys opinions on scent lok?

If you enjoyed reading about "Scent Lok" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sav .250
July 27, 2009, 06:59 AM
I wonder how much "scent lok" they wore back in the day. It no doubt has it`s advantages but for me, It`s not mandatory.

3pairs12
July 27, 2009, 08:07 AM
When bow hunting I wear it.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 27, 2009, 09:25 AM
My honest opinion is that it's 98% gimmick. Certainly not needed. I've got a newsflash: No matter what kind of clothing you wear, if you stink or don't use the wind, you're toast. Does it cover up your face and hands? If not, then it's not gonna matter, if you stink. It's not a complete containment deal.

I'd take my chances with a good shower and scent-free garanimal clothes any day, over scentlok clothes without steps to control my scent. Sorry, you asked for opinions. Untold hundreds of thousands of animals have been harvested with a bow without scentlok.

3pairs12
July 27, 2009, 09:29 AM
^^ They make gloves and face masks. I had 4 does come into 14 feet from me down wind this last season while wearing scent lok. They were supposed to be on a different trail. I always pay very close attention to my wind. Although I do agree that thousands of thousands of animals have been taken without it. I bet the Indians used to stink.

MCgunner
July 27, 2009, 09:35 AM
Just mind the wind and you don't need it IMHO. I'm waiting for "corn and apples" cologne, though. I think I'll take a pass on doe urine or doe in heat behind the ears.

This is south Texas. I ain't zipping up in scent lock clothes in bow season in 95-100 degree heat. Most times I have about a half gallon of deep woods off on me anyway. Just how good can scent lock be? LOL

Kingcreek
July 27, 2009, 10:40 AM
I've been bow hunting whitetails for 25 years, some of it in the Pre-ScentLoc era. I kill an average of 5 Illinois deer per year.
My opinion: Scent Loc helps, but it ain't magic.
You still have to do a lot of other things to control scent and TRY to stay upwind. nothing more frustrating than watching some nice buck coming in upwind to a perfect setup and have some old doe wind you from somewhere behind and blow an alarm that vacates everything within a mile.

ArmedBear
July 27, 2009, 10:42 AM
My dogs seem to think that rolling around in a rotting carcass or some human feces is adequate to disguise their scents.

They're better hunters than I am, so I figure I'll just do what they do.:D

3pairs12
July 27, 2009, 10:44 AM
Have fun with that ArmedBear, let us know how it works. :)

R.W.Dale
July 27, 2009, 02:25 PM
A dog can smell a couple ounces of explosives hidden in a 20gal fuel tank full of gasoline, some say they can even smell if a person has cancer.

Deer can smell just about as well as a dog

Do you really think some overpriced apparel will make a difference to such an animal

3pairs12
July 27, 2009, 02:30 PM
On a local tv station they did a test with a police dog scent lok and a container, a person with scent lok on hid in a container with a lid and the dog still found him.

ArmedBear
July 27, 2009, 03:03 PM
I don't think it's about not being found.

I think it's about not laying down tons of fresh scent wherever you walk.

That said, even if you're covered in Scent-Lok, don't boot soles smell distinctively? Leather, rubber, polyester, cotton, Gore-Tex, is any of it odor-free?

3pairs12
July 27, 2009, 03:34 PM
I agree I think that it gives a little more of an edge when bow hunting so I use it. I am sure it doesn't make me scent free but if it can take care of some of it for me it might just provide me with the seconds I need to draw my bow and make a shot.

DRYHUMOR
July 27, 2009, 05:45 PM
Sometimes I wear it, sometimes not.

What I do do, is wash all my clothes in scent eliminating soap, out of the dryer and into a plastic bag.

The boots I hunt in, I put on before walking to the stand, and take off back at the truck. They stay outside, and get sprayed with scent eliminator spray.

Seems to help, when I'm real anal about it, I've had a good many of deer within 10-12 ft of me, on the ground. And it helps when you can't get situated right for the wind.

Of course, that's when it's cool enough that ya don't start sweating as soon as you get out of the truck.

ArmedBear
July 27, 2009, 06:02 PM
BTW many, probably most, detergents have ultraviolet dye in them. That means that, to a deer, you glow.

Kingcreek
July 28, 2009, 09:48 AM
I practice all the scent control I can including some sprays and "air-wash" my hunting clothes in the sun and breeze. a couple years ago I parked my truck in one of my usual spots, field edge near the friendly landowner's horse corral, got all suited up, bow out, and ready to hunt when I hear this shouting. Guy asks me if I can help him with a 2 year old green colt that had got out and was giving him fits. I really didn't want to ruin my scent plan but couldn't really tell the fella no. We finally got the colt back in and I'm looking at my rubber boots now coated with stable goo. went out and hunted anyway and watched a 6pt follow my path all the way across a stubble field with his nose to the ground all the way to the base of my tree. my bro-in-law swears diesel fuel is the best cover scent ever.

ojibweindian
July 28, 2009, 10:06 AM
I just buy what's water-proof and warm. I use detergents without UV brighteners, and keep the wind in my face, or quartering to the left or right.

Rembrandt
July 28, 2009, 10:08 AM
Scent-lok has been named in five state class action lawsuits for fraud, Florida-Indiana-Wisconsin-Illinois-Minnesota. Here's more details....

http://www.trmichels.com/ActivatedCarbonScience.htm

shaggy430
July 28, 2009, 11:02 AM
It's all about using the wind and staying still. I've had just as much luck when I wear earth toned flannel shirts as camo with Scent-lock. It's a gimmick (and a rip-off at twice the price of regular hunting apparel).

hardluk1
July 28, 2009, 01:15 PM
Never used it .I wear camo but don't worry about pattern, just makes it harder for the game officer to spot you in a tree. I have used arm&hammer for 30 years to keep odor under control with no cover sent till the bucks start to pre rute . Wash the cothing in A&H ,Keep cloths in a plastic bag. I do wash with a sent free soap but also make a spray out of arm&hammer and spray down before each hunt and shake some dry in my clothing as i am dressing. besure to cover boots and hat. I do wear a full camocovering, head net and gloves and have had deer many times lay with in 15 feet or know something ain't right but can't fiqure it out and just hang around. Keep some with me if needed when hot. Never had problems with deer scared off. I worry more about haveing to get around the truck and oils ,gas so i carry extra foot wear and a lite over shirt for any running around durning the day.

qajaq59
July 28, 2009, 01:51 PM
I use a spray. But in a way I don't think it does much because my rifle has to absolutely stink of oil. I suspect keeping the wind in my face is doing far more then the spray is.

Nicodemus38
July 28, 2009, 09:20 PM
if you want to be invisible as much as possible, wash every single bit of clothing youll be weaing with sport wash by atsko. it will remove the uv enhancers that make you well, flourescent to deer eyes, as well as every other animal in the world. UV enhancers make your super duper camo outfit look like neon orange in a snow bank, even if your burried in a 2 ton pile of dead leaves.

Scent lok and similar stuff is a joke. Its been proven that the "world famous" charcoal lining in most of these products is completely used up after the first time its put on. that means you only get the actual scent blocking effect the first time its used. And normally if its on display in a store, every moron weaing their body sprays is gonna ahve been putting it on to model for "bubba and jo jo".

the only way to reactivate charcoal scent killing products is to heat them to a temperature that would incinerate the synthetic material.
use sport wash on you and the clothing, and skip the garlic and mustard snacks, etc, when your hunting.
why pay 600 hundred to get fancy stuff that only works the first use to block scents, when your going to be eating "billy jacks famous pepermint sticks" in the blind as sooo many people do?

blackops
July 29, 2009, 04:18 AM
I see most aren't fans of scent lok. Explaining; using wind to your advantage, when washing your clothes will still put off a scent, indians didn't need them, head and hands still put off odor, head and hands put off odor. Well not to try an argue, but I disagree and when your in a treestand using wind to your advantage isn't an option. Depending on the situation you can't control your angle to the wind and what you are trying to kill everytime. Gloves and head material can be worn to control scent. Indians didn't have the luxery of sent lok and I doubt anyone has to kill to eat and survive, they are on a whole nother level as far as hunting. Nobody can say scent effected your hunt to a dear you never saw due to your odor. Washing your clothes with certain products eliminates odors. That said, many animals have been harvest without scent lok and thats no question, but there is a reason it was developed and that isn't strickly for marketing purposes. Like i said before, it doesn't have disadvantages. Thank you all for information.

R.W.Dale
July 29, 2009, 04:35 AM
but there is a reason it was developed and that isn't strickly for marketing purposes.

I wouldn't bet on that. In fact name one consumer product that WASN'T developed for marketing purposes.

I for one do not believe that once you're scented all deer run away. The old saying "curiosity killed the cat" in my experience applies as much to deer as it does felines. I've had deer literally walk up to me and sniff my boots whilst lounging under a tree squirrel hunting wearing jeans and a Led Zeppelin t-shirt. Another I stared down from 40' for ten minutes all the while whistling "Dixie" at it as loudly as I could.

If you hunt places where hunters are stacked 3 high on the same tree and deer have learned to associate people with death then yeah deer care.

But get away from the other Elmers in the woods and or hunt agriculture where people are either a new experience or old news to the deer and you may be surprised at their behavior

Loyalist Dave
July 29, 2009, 07:45 AM
My honest opinion is that it's 98% gimmick. I agree. I thought the purpose of the tree stand was to get your scent above the nose of the deer?

I wouldn't bet on that. In fact name one consumer product that WASN'T developed for marketing purposes. Armpit deodorant wasn't marketed until the 20th century..., so I guess nobody stank until then? No, they marketed the idea that you stink and needed something to stop the smell, even though you bathed, and oh look, we happen to sell an item to fix the problem.

I have seen bucks react to a fellow dressed in clothing dyed with walnuts, and full of woodsmoke smell, as though a challenger-buck had entered their territory, not a human. I just worry about which way the wind is blowing. Seems to work for me.

LD

bpl
July 29, 2009, 11:14 PM
As I understand it, the issue is this; activated carbon adsorbs molecules, some of which are "scent" molecules, and binds them. Unfortunately, this binding is for all intents and purposes permanent as it requires temperatures far higher than those attained by your dryer to release them. In other words, the Scent-Lok clothing hanging on Cabelas racks contains activated carbon which is already saturated with "scent". You buy it saturated, and it remains saturated when it comes out of your dryer. As far as I can see, based on what I have read regarding activated carbon, it is impossible for Scent-Lok to be doing anything for you except removing $ from you wallet.

blackops
July 31, 2009, 02:51 AM
I will just agree to disagree with all of you then and keep spending money. lol My money and have plenty to donate to Cabelas. :neener:

Todd1700
July 31, 2009, 06:03 AM
As I understand it, the issue is this; activated carbon adsorbs molecules, some of which are "scent" molecules, and binds them. Unfortunately, this binding is for all intents and purposes permanent as it requires temperatures far higher than those attained by your dryer to release them. In other words, the Scent-Lok clothing hanging on Cabelas racks contains activated carbon which is already saturated with "scent". You buy it saturated, and it remains saturated when it comes out of your dryer. As far as I can see, based on what I have read regarding activated carbon, it is impossible for Scent-Lok to be doing anything for you except removing $ from you wallet.

Spot on correct. It is quickly saturated and cannot be reactivated by a household dryer. Also, I saw a tv news report where they actually cut one of these suits open (something they know a hunter who just shelled out that kinda cash would never do) and the amount of carbon inside these suits is a joke. I've sprinkled more pepper on a plate of stewed squash. Delude yourself if you must but this stuff is a major league rip-off.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 31, 2009, 10:06 AM
Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

blackops
August 2, 2009, 12:30 AM
For those of you who commented as IMO I respect your opinion. All of the rest who have no factual evidence except for a random t.v. show and some with none really at all, you need to get out of your "old school' frame of mind and understand technology has advanced. If you don't have the extra money, thats understandable. Still look at all of the professionals who wear scent lok and I'm not talking on t.v. I have the privilege of knowing a couple guys that hunt professionally and they guide in their off time...they wear scent lok people and they wear it for a reason! That isn't being because they are sponsored by scent lok because they are not. It has advantages, so if you have the money it's gonna help ya simple!

R.W.Dale
August 2, 2009, 02:43 AM
You can ignore us all you want. But the biology of the game animal, the chemistry involved in the suits and even the economics involved all point to this product being a complete fraud. Just cause a couple PH use the stuff tells us nothing, these guys will just as likely carry a lucky rabbits foot if they think it'll help.

Besides rule No1 of any profession is you must dress the part. Clients wouldn't think they were getting their moneys worth from a guide wearing surplus BDU's or flannel.

you need to get out of your "old school' frame of mind and understand technology has advanced.
technology may have advanced but the laws of physics have still stubbornly remained the same

bpl
August 2, 2009, 05:13 PM
Blackops,

I have some scentlok and some non-scentlok hunting clothes and the only difference I've noticed is the heavier scentlok clothes make me sweatier (and stinkier!) in the fall during bow season when its still somewhat warm.

I bought into the scentlok thing as well at first (which is why I have some). Then I did some research. Now, I'm pretty convinced its fraudulent.

hotlead
August 3, 2009, 02:11 AM
Scent Lok chewing gum?

Scent Lok Q- tips?

Scent Lok Baby wipes?

Scent Lok beef jerky?

Scent Lok whiskey?

Scent Lok camp fire?

Scent Lok farts?

smells funny too me!

jim in Anchorage
August 3, 2009, 02:56 AM
All right, I can't take it,I have to put my opinion in. I am guessing most of you are hunting deer in highly populated states. What do those deer smell 365 days a year? human scent,diesel exhaust, etc, if they ran off every time there was some "unnatural" scent thats all they would have time for.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 4, 2009, 11:41 AM
So then Jim, does that mean you think ScentLok actually does anything to help, either here or up there?

I have some scentlok and some non-scentlok hunting clothes and the only difference I've noticed is the heavier scentlok clothes make me sweatier (and stinkier!) in the fall during bow season when its still somewhat warm.

That would have been my guess too. The fact is (as has been pointed out) that (a) the carbon CANNOT BE REACTIVATED by drying, so the stuff is a fraud from the get-go right there, and (b) even if it could, there's so little carbon in it as to make it a joke. The laws of physics say that it just cannot work - the carbon is already bound out for good long before it ever leaves the store shelf. It is the undisputed heavyweight champ of scams. Absolutely worthless. I'm a huge believer in being scent-free, so I can see the appeal of these initially - we want to believe they work. But man, if you wrapped your entire body in that stuff during early bow season (the time you really need to control your scent the most), you will be absolutely miserably hot, and probably die of heat stroke (in many states), and you will sweat so much it defeats the purpose. And if you don't cover your face for example, then the fact that your body is protected by the magical carbon fairy dust won't matter two spits if you didn't control your body scent (showering etc.). So since you need to shower carefully, etc., anyway to effectively control scent, what does it matter whether you have scentlok or not, even assuming that the stuff works? You have to undertake the same procedures regardless, if you're not in a complete airtight suit covering your body from head to toe. You're much better off with lightweight clothing where you don't sweat as much than the heavy sweat-inducing scentlok crap. You'd be better off bowhunting the early season buck naked after a good shower than with scentlok that makes you sweat like a pig. Your clothes need to be scent-FREE, not scentlok.

Now in late cold season things may be different - you can wrap your entire body including your face and hands, to stay warm anyway. But any old clothing will do that - act as a simple barrier to escaping scent. And since the stuff is a fraud from the get go, due to the impossibility of the carbon reactivating, it makes no sense to pay more for that stuff.

Seriously, we're just trying to keep you (and others similarly believing) from throwing any more of your money away on that crap.

Scent Lok chewing gum?

That one is reality:

http://www.huntingscience.com/

hotlead
August 4, 2009, 02:01 PM
Gum-O-Flage, hahahaha! Got me DR. THW! I will stick to a pinch of chew, hang over breath, chewing pine or just plain gum. This scent hiding thing has really taken off to the point its funny.

3pairs12
August 4, 2009, 04:49 PM
So lets say this stuf can only collect 23% of scent on the day it was manufactured (according to scientists testimony). Your dryer does not get hot enough to reactivate the carbon, well what about a heat gun? Do you think it would get hot enough? If it did wouldn't 23% be better than nothing? The only scent lok I have is the savana shirt and head cap. Itr pretty light wieght compared to the stuff you describe. I have a couple of scent IQ garments also they were on sale. All in all in the "scent free clothing" department I have less than $100. The main reason I have any of this stuff is, I want it to work, is it was light wieght and the material that they use seems impervious to fading. So the same shirt that I bought 4 years ago is still as crisp as the day I bought it.

jim in Anchorage
August 5, 2009, 12:11 AM
So then Jim, does that mean you think ScentLok actually does anything to help, either here or up there
I don't know, because I never used it. I would think in the case of wilderness animals,unaccustomed to man scent, it would be helpful if it worked, but as you pointed out it probably doesn't.
One time in open country in Western Alaska I saw a beautiful Blond grizzly grazing on tundra Berry's 400 yards away, on all fours, not a care in the world. The wind shifted from me to him and he immediately got up on his hind legs,smelled the air and took off like a rocket.
I never saw a eastern whitetail react like that,and I was 90% bow hunting so sometimes would watch them for hours

blackops
August 5, 2009, 02:33 AM
This is getting funny. I'm sure you all have some truth to your comments. I'm going to go ahead and listen to the Pros guys. I have the money and I'm buying it...simple.

Harve Curry
August 5, 2009, 10:09 AM
As hunting guide for trophy elk and deer in New Mexico I get to be in the mountains hunting and observing wildllife alot. Sometimes I'm out 30 to 45 hunting days glassing and stalking, not counting other times working cattle or calling coyotes. I also get to meet folks using some of the latest stuff. I think scent lock suits are a waist of your money. No matter what you are still breathing, exhaling, and some part of your body is exposed to the air. So your scent is in the air. Concern should be more about the wind, using the wind, time of day, using terrain/obstacles to your advantage. Those puffer bottles are one of your best friends. I think it's unscented talcum powder that's in them. Use that stuff up checking breezes. updrafts, downdrafts, and even zero breeze or drafts at times.

qajaq59
August 5, 2009, 10:39 AM
Select one.

Option #1, buy it.

Option #2, dont buy it.

There now, that's settled. :D

Loyalist Dave
August 5, 2009, 12:31 PM
I will just agree to disagree with all of you then and keep spending money. lol My money and have plenty to donate to Cabelas

P.T. Barnum loved people like that.

Still look at all of the professionals who wear scent lok and I'm not talking on t.v. ...they wear scent lok people and they wear it for a reason! ..., It has advantages, so if you have the money it's gonna help ya simple!

Sure, it convinces the customer that the guide knows what he/she is doing, and that the guide's scent isn't the reason the elk/deer/moose/antelope was spooked. It's a deterrent to complaints, and gives a good impression to create repeat customers, and word-of-mouth advertisement. People expect guides to have the best stuff when they are shelling out $$$ for that hunt.

Does anybody check the age of the scent lok stuff the guide is wearing? The stuff can only absorb so much.

LD

mcdonl
August 5, 2009, 01:15 PM
I was taught to gather materials from the site where you hunt (You are there prior to openning day right?), put them in a trash back and put your clothes in the trashbag.

You smell a little earthy, but I think that is the point.

Right?

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 5, 2009, 01:21 PM
This is getting funny. I'm sure you all have some truth to your comments. I'm going to go ahead and listen to the Pros guys. I have the money and I'm buying it...simple.

Well I say, go for it. It's all just a matter of priorities, and how much disposable income ya got. If hunting was my only hobby, I might buy them too (well no I wouldn't but I'd be more tempted). But I have about 3 expensive hobbies, and a couple more less expensive ones. Gotta stretch those dollars.

But BTW, the people who called themselves "Pro" hunters (and are also called that by their sponsors and teevee show producers), are for the most part, jokes, at least the TV ones. It takes much much LESS skill to hunt private ranches with no hunting pressure like they do on the TV shows. A PROFESSIONAL is someone who has MORE skill and determination than you and me (Derek Jeter and Sydney Crosby), not less.

Those guys are just TV personalities/celebrities - nothing more or less. A professional hunter is someone who could go into a heavily hunted public land in a populous state, during hunting season, without a guide, where most guys are getting skunked, and come out with the trophy. Do you ever see that on TV? Idonthinkso. Sure, there may be some guides who are indeed "Pros", but I just hope you're not calling the TV hunters "Pros", because they're most certainly not, even though they call themselves that.

Harve Curry
August 5, 2009, 01:26 PM
An old trick is to drape your clothes over a cedar bush and let the sun and air do their work. Turn them over after awhile. I do this when taking a break to dry them from sweat and air them out. Also after washing.
I don't think it matters if you smell like apples or a skunk, the human scent is still going to be in there. Wildlife can seperate the smells and detect something is wrong. But I'd rather smell like an apple, easier on me.

R.W.Dale
August 5, 2009, 02:31 PM

Gen G A Custer was a professonal too, that doesn't mean he was good at his profession.

shaggy430
August 5, 2009, 03:31 PM
Still look at all of the professionals who wear scent lok and I'm not talking on t.v. ...they wear scent lok people and they wear it for a reason! ..., It has advantages, so if you have the money it's gonna help ya simple!

Blackops, are you a "woods ninja"? Seriously, why did you ask for other opinions? It sounds like you already made your mind up.

Oh, for the record, in case no one has ever coined the phrase "woods ninja" I'm claiming it as mine.

mcdonl
August 5, 2009, 04:24 PM
This dog says save your money for doggie treats....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXp3kv8fs_0

This site indicates there are a lot of lawsuits against this company because it does not work, and they lost thier patent too.

http://www.trmichels.com/ActivatedCarbonScience.htm

I say, people piss thier money away on fancy gadgets that just make them look cool all of the time, so why not. If you got the money, spend it.

I think a good masking scent is cigarettes and a skidder. Loggers see deer all day.

qajaq59
August 5, 2009, 04:25 PM
Oh, for the record, in case no one has ever coined the phrase "woods ninja" I'm claiming it as mine. Oh, that word will appear in the "anti" paperwork quickly then a fox running away with a chicken......:evil:

shaggy430
August 5, 2009, 04:31 PM
Blackops, is an elite member of a 3 man tactical deer hunting squad consisting of himself, Gecko45, and an un-named masked companion. Beware their wrath and cunning as you will definitely not be able to smell them, however, you will be able to spot the various logos on their camo.....

3pairs12
August 5, 2009, 04:34 PM
The elite three man team is often seen at Cabela's replenishing their resources.

shaggy430
August 5, 2009, 04:44 PM
Do not attempt to approach them from behind as they will leave a sticky trap of chewed Gum-o-flage in their back trail...

Zeke/PA
August 5, 2009, 04:46 PM
Scent Lock stuff can give a false sense of security.
I wash my outer clothes with plain water and 1/2 cup of baking soda thrown in.
I store the clothes in a plastic bag with dry pine needles and change clothes at my vehicle just prior to the hunt.
Boots are worn ONLY in the hunting woods.
I see guys yearly in Camo gear AND hunting boots pumping gas into their vehicle.
A cigarette/cigar/pipe smoker in the vehicle is even worse.
Can't imagine what an animal thinks of THAT smell.
It's important to practice personal hygiene also but substitute Baking Soda for the smelly soaps.
An old trappers trick is to ALWAYS wash your boots when crossing a stream.

ojibweindian
August 6, 2009, 03:08 PM
In the interest of full disclosure, I bought an insulated scent-lock coverall a few seasons ago because it was on sale at a ridiculously low price of $120 (at the time, I actually had no idea it was a scent lock suit). I must say that when it's pretty freakin' cold outside, that suit has kept me toasty warm.

That being said, I see just as many deer when wearing jeans and a jacket in the fall. The claims of being scent-free by wearing scent-lock is bogus, in my experience. It does, as I mentioned already, keep me warm though.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 6, 2009, 04:55 PM
do not attempt to approach them from behind as they will leave a sticky trap of chewed gum-o-flage in their back trail...

:d :d :d

hardluk1
August 7, 2009, 09:59 AM
Keke/pa glad to see someone else uses backing soda,good oll arm@hammer. Worked for me for 25years +

armixer
August 7, 2009, 10:54 PM
In my opinion I have killed a decent amount of head mounts on friends private land and I have only been wearing scent blocker clothing on two of them in my opinion just playing the wind is your best chances at big bucks or whatever your hunting another thing that helps is lower hunting preasure for your big whitetails other then that thats all I can suggest.

Just look at Chuck Adams when he used to hunt without fences and peoples ranches all he used to wear was flannel shirts to break up his scheme.

JP

bellyup039
August 7, 2009, 11:46 PM
Scent loc clothing = Not me.
Scent loc washing detergent = YES all hunting clothing, underware, socks gloves, everything. and

In the past, my hunting spots were, I thought good, but no luck. limited seeing deer.
In 2008 I hunted at the exact same spots, same times of day and sat just as still as in prior years.
BUT in 2008 with Scent loc washing detergent and body soap= 3 deer killed in 2008 and my wife (who also hunts) saw a total of 45 deer in 3 days of hunting.

conclusion= It works for me. I am doing it again this year.

:)

blackops
August 8, 2009, 02:53 AM
Haha Some of you guys are just too funny. "Woods Ninja" I actually find it quite humorous when people are quick to make fun of and crack jokes about people online, when in reality they have no idea who they are. This thread was actually good for me. Even though I still think Scent Lok does give a hunter a slight advantage (if used properly), I will agree that more of it is geared towards marketing. Thanks guys. That will be it, moderator time to kill it.

Wildfire
August 8, 2009, 09:01 PM
Hey there :
I hope not to discourage you in any way.... have fun with your stuff.
I live and hunt in michigan... These deer see and smell everything from farmers farting to perfume on a daily basis... We kill way more than our share of good deer with no scent lok...

Deer can use their sense of smell in many ways.. BUT>>>>>>>>>>>

Dogs smell in layers , Deer are not proven to. many times they do not care what they smelled . It just trips the fear and they get out of dodge..
Police use dogs because they smell in layers..
Set a plate of food in front of them and they smell the green beans, corn, meat, and what ever else is on the plate all individually.. Even when mixed together... That is why they can smell the dope in other stuff..
Explosives in fuel etc....... Ask your local K-9 cop and he will help you with this.

I usually have to set my smoke aside to shoot my deer....... Bow, or Muzzleloader don't really matter...

This is not always true... If you hunt where the deer NEVER see or smell people , you would have a different deal...
Good luck this year and shoot straight..

If you enjoyed reading about "Scent Lok" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!