how to get that super shiney factory finish on my brass?

PDA

1858rem
July 27, 2009, 11:06 AM
well i just got a lyman 600 vibratory "tumbler".... and in the same order i also got a new pack of winchester .204 brass and WOW its super shiny!

fir the last day or two i have been tumbling my 45 acp cases mixing a half cup of the green lyman media that came with the tumbler and 3 cups of corncob stuff from walmart. this works well for a matte-clean finish, which was a lot nicer than my 1/2lb rotary rock tumbler did, but today i finally decided to open the bag of .204 brass and load a box with new brass, and it looked so good that i decided to go to THR instead and ask WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO GET MY BRASS THAT SHINY? :D

If you enjoyed reading about "how to get that super shiney factory finish on my brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bullseye308
July 27, 2009, 11:09 AM
I can get that buy using walnut and nu-finish followed by cob and just a little nu-finish.

The Bushmaster
July 27, 2009, 11:14 AM
Most of us are getting as shiny, if not shinier, brass then factory. I get shinier brass (except for the burn stains that form over several loadings and those I ignore or steel wool away). My formula? Finely ground (passes through flash holes like sand through an hour glass) corncob mixed with chromium oxide. Some even add a solvent or polish. But be careful about adding an abrasive to the tumbler mix. My tumbler? 22 year old Lyman Turbo 1200...

Remo-99
July 27, 2009, 11:25 AM
Add a capful of Nu-Finish car polish to your corncob and tumble for a few to 6 or more hours, It hasn't failed me yet to bring up brass shiney like new and better even.
Be warned sunglasses maybe required when viewing your brass in brightlight situations though. ;)

moooose102
July 27, 2009, 12:01 PM
the surefire way to shiney, shiney brass is to pick up some powdered red rouge and put a couple of teaspoons in with your media. i have tried a lot of stuff, all of it works decently. but nothing works as fast or as well as the red rouge. i bought mine on ebay.

1858rem
July 27, 2009, 12:24 PM
Finely ground (passes through flash holes like sand through an hour glass) corncob

so is walmart(1/8"-1/4") corncob not so good for cleaning brass?

some powdered red rouge

im not too big on ebay, any store you know of where to find it or what its intended for? is it car polish or something for jewelry polish?

fireflyfather
July 27, 2009, 02:18 PM
I'm not really enjoying the wallmart corncob. It's OK, but it will get stuck inside cases and primer pockets. Which means it also won't adequately clean the nooks and crannies. When my bag is used up, I'm going to get the small grit stuff from graingers.

lgbloader
July 27, 2009, 02:39 PM
50/50 Grainger fine grit corn cob and pet shop walnut shell. Add a capful of Nu-Finish car polish every 1.5k pc count and a capful of Mineral Spirits and 1 used dryer sheet cut into 4-6 pcs every batch.

BLING!!!

LGB

IMtheNRA
July 27, 2009, 02:54 PM
My brass comes out of the vibratory tumbler much more shiny than the brand new factory loaded rounds. I use Lyman's red "Turbo Tumbler" media, which seems to have a huge amount of jeweler's rouge in it.

R.W.Dale
July 27, 2009, 03:36 PM
I add a half dozen stays of orange clean or similar to the tumbler media to get that sparkle. A cap full o mineral spirits work well too

hokeyplyr48
July 27, 2009, 04:30 PM
A friend of mine who reloads said he uses iguana litter? (I think, he said he got it from petsmart or any pet store) Does this get it as shiny as you guys are talking about?

rondog
July 27, 2009, 04:45 PM
A friend of mine who reloads said he uses iguana litter? (I think, he said he got it from petsmart or any pet store) Does this get it as shiny as you guys are talking about?

No, that's ground walnut shells, also sold as Kaytee brand bird litter at PetSmart. That stuff is good for cleaning dirty brass, but will leave a matte finish, not shiny. It's more abrasive than corncob. You can add NuFinish to it and get a little shinier results, but I personally have better luck using the walnut to clean first, then re-tumbling a second time using the fine corncob from Graingers with a capful of NuFinish in the corncob.

You have to add the NuFinish slowly, and let it mix around in the c/cob for awhile before putting the brass in. You want the particles coated, not just a clump of polish floating around.

hokeyplyr48
July 27, 2009, 04:49 PM
Awesome, thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to give that a go to see how it goes.
Is this the corncob you were referencing? http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/6A901

How long does it take to get that nice shiny finish? Overnight?

fguffey
July 27, 2009, 05:01 PM
cleaning brass that is very tarnished, 15 minutes in vinegar maximum and only once, wash etc., etc., then tumble to clean, I do not use kitty litter, kitty litter is made of clay, clay is abrasive because of silica, I use corn cob media, I seldom use walnut.

When I want to shine I use case spinners that I make, not because I have to have shiny cases but when loading for a chamber and I do not want to tumble I spin the cases, it is faster to spin 20 cases than it is to tumble, I keep tumbling equipment in a foot locker, 2 tumblers case separator and media on a shelf about 5 feet high.

F. Guffey

Walkalong
July 27, 2009, 06:06 PM
14/20 Grit Corncob (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2MVR4) at Grainger - Fine

20/40 Grit Corncob (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2MVR5) at Grainger - Very fine

If they don't have it, they will order it. If you pick it up at the store there is no shipping charge.

I use it with polish from Midway, but Berrys polish and Dillons polish work just the same.

It will even get rid of the scorched spots on brass if you tumble long enough.

Hey_Allen
July 27, 2009, 08:06 PM
I haven't been mixing up my own polish media, but the Lyman red rouge treated walnut has done well for me, unmodified.

1858rem
July 27, 2009, 08:19 PM
i also ordered a 6 pack of RCBS powder polish, it is a package of 6 .6oz bags, its a very fine white powder but left my brass very dusty and not too shiney after an hour or so, any ideas on using it? if not ill take a ride in town for dryer sheets and nufinish tonight

QBall45
July 27, 2009, 08:24 PM
Get lizard litter aka crushed walnut at the pet store. Go to the parts store and get a bottle of NuFinish car polish. Fill your tumbler 2/3 to 3/4 full of lizard litter then add 2-3 capfulls of NuFinish and let er run for half hour 45 min without any brass. Then add in your brass and 1 used dryer sheet cut in 1/4's or so. then run over night. No need for any corn cob media at all. Will come out looking like new brass.

45ACPUSER
July 27, 2009, 09:24 PM
Iosso in corn cob is a sure fire way to get Bling Bling Brass! Flitz is in the same league when added to CC. Remember that red crap aka jewelers rouge can be hard on your dies. Walnut cleans better and CC polishes better!

rondog
July 28, 2009, 03:04 AM
Awesome, thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to give that a go to see how it goes.
Is this the corncob you were referencing? http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/6A901

How long does it take to get that nice shiny finish? Overnight?

Naw, get the big bag of the fine stuff, it won't stick in the primer pockets. 40 lbs. for ~$25, if you pick it up. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2MVR5

Master Blaster
July 28, 2009, 09:32 AM
put a couple capfulls of mineral spirits in with your media and that will eliminate the dust.

achildofthesky
July 28, 2009, 11:30 AM
I use straight lyman green media with a few strips of used dryer sheet tossed in and just about all of my brass comes out "you need sunglasses" bright and shiny.

Quoheleth
July 29, 2009, 07:50 PM
Get lizard litter aka crushed walnut at the pet store. Go to the parts store and get a bottle of NuFinish car polish. Fill your tumbler 2/3 to 3/4 full of lizard litter then add 2-3 capfulls of NuFinish and let er run for half hour 45 min without any brass. Then add in your brass and 1 used dryer sheet cut in 1/4's or so. then run over night. No need for any corn cob media at all. Will come out looking like new brass.

Did this yesterday with my new tumbler, but only ran it about 4 or 5 hours. Wow! Brass is SUPER shiney, has just a sheen of slipperyness to them, and those .38 Special hulls are now standing tall & proud instead of slumped over and embarrassed.

Q

Ala Dan
July 29, 2009, 09:45 PM
a super clean, factory finish on a cartridge case is ONLY used for bragging
rights, amongest your fell'a shooter's and friend's~! DITTO- "I did this"~!

So long as the cartridge case is clean (not shiney) and free of defects,
you are good too go my friend~! Yes, I went through the same dilimenia
early own; wanting everthing too be PERFECT. I soon found out that I
was wasting time polishing cases; when I could have been churning out
more ammo~! :banghead: ;)

Tequila Mockingbird
July 29, 2009, 10:14 PM
+1 to what Ala Dan said...

About an hour in the tumbler with a mix of walnut and corncob and a couple of capfuls of Nu Finish gets mine as clean as they need to be. They're not as shiny as new brass, but they're clean and that's all that counts. I don't understand why they need to be as shiny as new brass anyway; they're just going to get dirty again...:D

Walkalong
July 29, 2009, 10:22 PM
I still shine my up real bright, cause I like em that way. I am in no rush to load them.

Quoheleth
July 29, 2009, 10:30 PM
As to "why," -- EASY!!! -- I had a new toy to try! I wanted to make some cases nice and purdy [sic]. I did. And now I can take the short-cut.

Q

1858rem
July 29, 2009, 10:35 PM
well i got some nufinish and dryer sheets, but missed the part about "using" the dryer sheet so now my bullets smell good, everything works pretty nice, i take time to polish the cases since i cast my own bullets and while im casting i can also be polishing, by the time the cases are kinda shiny (hour or so) i can have about 250 SWC's cast and lubed.

mgkdrgn
July 30, 2009, 03:57 PM
Reading this thread, I purchased some "Red Rouge" and added about a teaspoon full to my media. And yes, it -does- make the brass shine!

Now, here is the question though. I notice that a very thin layer of Red Rouge dust coats the inside of the cases. Fair to assume this is going to have little/no effect on the powder charge and that this stuff is not abrasive enough to have any effect on my bore?

Deavis
July 30, 2009, 05:27 PM
kerosene and corncob after walnut with mineral spirits. Won't tarnish, I've got rounds 5 years old that look like new.

jbrown13
July 30, 2009, 07:07 PM
1858Rem wrote: "im not too big on ebay, any store you know of where to find it or what its intended for? is it car polish or something for jewelry polish?"

Midway USA has it. They call Jeweller's Rouge and can be found at http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=946226. A large jar that will probably last ten or more years. I have used it without any ill effects.

GP100man
July 30, 2009, 09:32 PM
load the tumbler up & start summtin else & forget it for 3 days , wait till that happens:cool::cool:
nuttin to add to good replys but a little ribbin:neener:

GP100man

ambidextrous1
August 2, 2009, 12:23 PM
I always tumble my brass in walnut first, followed by corn cob, with a bit of NuFinish both times.

Last week, I was setting up for the corn cob polush, and couldn't find the NuFinish! Looking around the shop, I found a container of 'Mother's Plastic Polish', and decided to try it. The cases came out looking better than with NuFinish! This was after about two hours in the corn cob.

I suspect that the plastic polish has a finer grit abrasive, hence the brighter, mirror-like shine. Oh, the plastic polish is also great for rejuvenating your platic shooting/sunglasses.

Has anyone else tried Mother's for case polishing?

Ky Larry
August 2, 2009, 01:16 PM
I use wallnut hull media from PetSmart and a tablespoon of Simonize white polishing compound. It gets my brass clean and the shine is good enough for my purposes. I don't worry about having super-shiny brass but if that turns your crank, then enjoy.

hokeyplyr48
August 2, 2009, 01:17 PM
Do you know where it can be bought locally? Or is it something you'd have to find online?

GP100man
August 2, 2009, 02:25 PM
lizard bedin is available at most any good pet store & the bigger the bag the cheaper.

GP100man

ranger335v
August 2, 2009, 10:08 PM
"some powdered red rouge ... any store you know of where to find it or what its intended for? ... jewelry polish?"

You can buy small cakes of red rouge from any hardware store that carries polishing wheels (fabric). I got a bar from Lowe's for something like $4. Scrap off a half teaspoon full into your cob media, the finest grit you can get, as needed.

Most people seem to use FAR more "polish" than needed, that's why they have to resort to putting bits of loose weave paper in the tumbler to catch the excess dry polish and then toss it out. Adding an ounce of Mineral Spirits from time to time does sorta rejuvinate polish and helps hold down dusting too.

Shiney brass is eye candy trivia, no more. And the shine won't last long before that glittery surface oxidizes again anyway.

I've dropped back to using plain walnut, no polish.

My(2)Cents
August 3, 2009, 01:50 PM
+2 to what Ala Dan said as long as they are clean who cares they are just gonna get nasty again.

Antihero47
August 3, 2009, 07:04 PM
I jump back and forth on this subject. Some days I'll throw the cases in the tumbler add some nufinish and be done with the whole thing. Load them up as shiney as they come out.

Some days, I'll let them go for a night, load them up, and then when they are all finished chuck them into the lee drill adapter and get a foam piece and some polish and REALLY shine them up.

I do that more to impress my friends or people at the range. There's something about seeing a rifle and a guy with super shiney ammo... moreso for the kids.

freonr22
August 8, 2009, 06:07 PM
thoughts about tumbling vs vibrating?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=169056

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWDMfCxx9LI&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.calguns.net%2Fcalgunforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D169056&feature=player_embedded

I did upgrade to ball bearings from fleabay @ $8 ea

JDGray
August 8, 2009, 06:26 PM
My 9mm brass is very shiny, after a half hour in any media. I use nickel plated brass:neener:

junkman_01
August 8, 2009, 07:15 PM
Why do I want shiny brass? It's only going to get dirty again. That's like saying "Why change your socks, they're only going to get stinky again!" There is such a thing as pride in what you do.

1858rem
August 8, 2009, 11:58 PM
shiny is easer to find on the ground than "camo brass" lol

NoAlibi
August 9, 2009, 02:20 AM
1858rem
shiny is easer to find on the ground than "camo brass" lol

See, I always knew there was a practical reason why I was shining them up so much! :D

There is an NRA publication called "Handloading" (My copy was published in 1981 and I believe it has been updated.) that has articles called "Cleaning Cartridge Cases" (Pages 75-77) and "Washing Cartridge Cases" (Page 91).

The cleaning article mentions the use and building of tumblers as well as the use of chemicals such as sulfuric acid, citric acid and a home brew of vinegar and salt. I have used a 5% solution of citric acid (Anhydrous ctiric acid was very inexpensive - haven't purchased any recently) and it produces a clean case with a moderate shine for those who care more about functional clean rather than the showroom new look. Of course, you know I do that before I tumble 'em! ;)

The washing article suggests using the dishwasher and Cascade dishwashing detergent. I've done this and it really gets them clean (not shiney), but the brass feels very dry and I felt increased resisitance in the sizing die if I didn't tumble them first.

DocBob
August 10, 2009, 12:42 PM
Great ideas, and great site!

I'm a relative newbie and do have a question about the Nu-Finish'ed (is that a word) cases...they feel slick as heck. More-so then after being lubed...so do you still need to lube them before resizing? That's for straight walled and bottleneck cases?

Tequila Mockingbird
August 13, 2009, 11:17 PM
Posted in wrong thread...Deleted

lgbloader
August 14, 2009, 12:52 AM
Maybe it is bragging rights but I like my ammo looking top shelf. But then again, only I have to be satisfied with the fruit of my labor.

LGB

Walkalong
August 14, 2009, 09:03 AM
That's like saying "Why change your socks, Because they will stink and no one will want to be around you. :neener:

Clean is a must, shiny is pride in you reloads. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "how to get that super shiney factory finish on my brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!