The Monster has landed: MHI is in stores now

PDA

Correia
July 27, 2009, 01:51 PM
The little internet gun-forum self-published novel that could, is now available in bookstores everywhere from Baen books.

If you haven't followed the saga of Monster Hunter International, it was written by a THR member, inspired by a TFL thread on horror movies lines, filled with accurate gun usage, proof read and edited by THR mods and members, and then self published and sold mostly on THR.

The little POD version of this novel did fairly well and got onto a best seller list in April '08. Baen Books, publisher of extreme awesomeness, came along and bought the rights to MHI, and it is now available everywhere.

This is the gunblogosphere handbook of monster killing goodness, and it has gone mainstream. :)

Thank you THR, I couldn't have done it without you. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "The Monster has landed: MHI is in stores now" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArfinGreebly
July 27, 2009, 02:10 PM
Larry, congratulations, man!

That is most excellent.

I'm looking forward to scoring a copy of my own.

Maybe two. One of them might need to be autographed.

zombienerd
July 27, 2009, 02:22 PM
I pre-ordered a copy a week or so ago from Amazon, no idea if it has come in yet, as I'm out to sea at the moment.

I read the first seven chapters online, and was hooked, so had to buy the book :) Can't wait to finish it.

lightbulb0413
July 27, 2009, 02:26 PM
Just ordered my copy. Cant wait to read it.

Lightninstrike
July 27, 2009, 02:27 PM
Cool. I pre-ordered back in May from Amazon after reading some of it here. Gonna do a book signing Larry?

theotherwaldo
July 27, 2009, 02:42 PM
Don't hate me, Larry, but I just bought three copies for my library.

Hopefully some of our patrons will buy their own copies when they find that all our copies are checked out... .

TCB in TN
July 27, 2009, 04:21 PM
When we gonna have another batch of the patches run?

Tommygunn
July 27, 2009, 06:40 PM
EDIT

DougDubya
July 27, 2009, 06:45 PM
Gratz, Larry. Might need to get a third copy.

BunnyPuncher
July 27, 2009, 08:39 PM
Congrats. Baen books has been taking up more and more shelf space in my home for years.

I'll pick it up.

punchdrunk
July 27, 2009, 10:28 PM
same as the original book or some changes?

junyo
July 27, 2009, 10:48 PM
Bought it and read it off of Baen's online library. Good read; now get cracking on the sequel.

NukemJim
July 28, 2009, 07:38 AM
Any word on the publication date of MHI2?

My GF went out and bought the paperback edition even though we have the POD version (and patch, thank you Larry :) ) and immediately sat down and reread it.

Please keep writing.

NukemJim

Correia
July 28, 2009, 11:37 AM
Punchdrunk, same, except for small editing problems I missed in the first one.

Jim, no date on 2 yet, but the rough draft is done and sitting on the publisher's desk.

And I've kept writing. I've finished 3 books since MHI, and I'm going to try and get them all published. The Grimnoir Chronicles is an alternative history 1932 in a world where magic began to appear in the 1850s. Dead Six is a thriller based on the Welcome Back Mr. Nightcrawler mega thread from here on THR written by me and Nightcrawler.

statelineblues
July 28, 2009, 06:38 PM
Ordered my copy from Amazon 3 days ago - should be here in a couple of days! :D:D:D

bigalexe
July 28, 2009, 06:51 PM
The opening to your novel sounds reminiscent of Fight Club or Wanted but with monsters instead of people in the future. If its the mix of Fight Club (working guy in an insane situation elevating him beyond his imagination) and Sanctuary (random monster hunting, kinda like Slash Hack comics). It sounds quite good and I shall consider it greatly for purchase... now to cash my paycheck.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 28, 2009, 07:16 PM
Anyone have some links to a little more background on what this is all about?

theotherwaldo
July 28, 2009, 10:24 PM
Here's a link to the first seven chapters, thanks to Baen Books:

http://www.webscription.net/chapters/1439132852/1439132852.htm

Mr.510
July 29, 2009, 05:35 AM
Ok, everybody chant:

DEAD SIX!
DEAD SIX!
DEAD SIX!
DEAD SIX!

Oh man, I hope Dead Six gets published! In fact, I hope it ends up a ten-volume set. :D The "Mr. Nightcrawler" threads are some of my all time favorite reading.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=207390&highlight=nightcrawler

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=259444&highlight=nightcrawler

My copy of MHI will be waiting for me in the mailbox when I go home to Belfair Friday. Not gonna be sleeping this weekend.... :)

Correia & Nightcrawler: You guys rock!

:evil:

Mp7
July 29, 2009, 06:42 AM
"I never did like that rule," I said as I bent down and drew my gun from my ankle holster, put the front sight on the target and rapidly fired all five shots from my snub-nosed .357 Smith & Wesson into Mr. Huffman's body. God bless Texas.

:-)

I like what i readf so far.

transalpian
July 29, 2009, 09:07 AM
Mine came from Amazon yesterday. I'm a little blearly this AM from reading into the wee hours.

GREAT BOOK!

cdb45357
July 29, 2009, 10:51 AM
I bought a copy at Barnes and Noble last night. Congratulations Larry.

beaucoup ammo
July 29, 2009, 11:23 AM
Congratulations! Man, that's initiative you rarely see. I'm proud of you, Brother and will buy a copy!

Weezy
July 29, 2009, 11:41 AM
I read the sample chapters posted a few months ago and have been eagerly waiting ever since. My copy shipped this morning :)

Kor
July 30, 2009, 10:14 PM
Bought the last copy at Borders on Tuesday.

Started it last night around 8:00 PM.

Finished it this morning.

"'How many guns do you have?' he asked in exasperation.
"'Lots.' CRACK." :cool: :D

Outstanding.

I do have to add, if only to prove my inborn geekery, that another author, Nick Pollotta, did a series about a similar monster-hunter team titled Bureau 13 that was first published in the early '90's(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Pollotta) - however, there are certain differences between Bureau 13 and MHI:

- Unlike the private-sector MHI team, Bureau 13's monster-hunters are all Federal agents(like the Monster Control Bureau), although they are quite similar in other respects(ethnically diverse, happy-go-lucky survivors of monster attacks recruited to protect an unknowing America from supernatural threats);

- The plot of MHI is much more fully realized than the Bureau 13 books, which read like a fictionalized synopsis of a particularly good campaign in a paper-'n-dice TSR role-playing game(which Bureau 13 is actually based on);

- The MHI characters are much more three-dimensional than Pollotta's Bureau 13 team, which, again, read like RPG character sheets;

- The technical details regarding firearms in MHI are significantly more accurate than in Bureau 13(major gaffe: the "S&W Model 42 ultra-lightweight .357 Magnum revolver).

Now, having gotten that off my chest - I just gotta read the sequel(s)...

Erik M
July 31, 2009, 01:08 AM
After reading the first 7 chapters I think we have a winner. I'll definitley score a copy come payday.

Dr.Rob
July 31, 2009, 03:58 AM
I ordered 2 on friday, and I read it years ago.

Trebor
July 31, 2009, 08:09 AM
I spotted a copy of the Baen edition "in the wild" yesterday at the "Guns Galore" gun shop in Fenton, Mich. It was resting on the counter and was obviously being read when it wasn't busy in the store.

JohnBT
July 31, 2009, 09:19 AM
Amazon finally e-mailed me that my store bought copy is shipping.

John

Mikhail Weiss
July 31, 2009, 05:24 PM
Two copies of MHI spotted on Barnes and Noble shelf in Oklahoma City. Thumbed through a few pages. Looked funny. Reminded me I was out of money, what with Nietzsche, Pynchon, and Zelazny already under arm. Congrats on the book. May you live long and prosper.

JohnBT
July 31, 2009, 10:02 PM
Yeah, Amazon e-mailed me...

... and the mailman delivered it at noon today.

Looks good. I think I'll read it one more time.

John

Runflat
July 31, 2009, 10:07 PM
Fantastic Book, I have finished it once and am rereading it. I don't think there is a friend that I haven't pitched the book to yet or at least directed to the 7 free chapters.

Tiomoid
August 1, 2009, 03:00 AM
Bought my copy off Amazon in May. Just got it yesterday and am happily reading the heck out of it. Thanks for taking the time to entertain us. When is the sequel hitting stores? You know we'll all buy it....

Correia
August 1, 2009, 11:04 AM
#2 the rough draft, is done and sitting on the publisher's desk. No contract or date on it yet though.

I've also got 2 other series I'm hoping to sell. One based off the Welcome Back Mr. Nightcrawler mega thread on here, and the other called The Grimnoir Chronicles. (alternative history 1932 with magic).

Cliff
August 1, 2009, 05:30 PM
Congrats to ya Larry. I have the original book somewheres around here, and I'm looking at the patch right now.:)
Just bought & downloaded the ebook from Baen's Websubscription site to transfer to my kindle. Much success to you. Looking forward to MHI 2.

Correia
August 2, 2009, 10:51 AM
Cliff, go to www.larrycorreia.wordpress.com and I just posted about getting more patches in.

TexasBill
August 2, 2009, 03:38 PM
Just reserved a copy at Barnes & Noble. Now what was that about a patch?

Weezy
August 3, 2009, 01:12 AM
Just finished the book, ordered a patch, and now await a sequel :)

Diamondback6
August 3, 2009, 01:27 AM
Larry, contact sighted @ local Borders, will snag after payday.

Dude, you gotta give some of the team Deer Hunter-style Remington 1740s...:D (but wait 'till I finish building a prototype of the TactiCool-ed Out version, OK? Or send me specs for one...)

Correia
August 3, 2009, 11:37 AM
You know, I've got a few characters that could get away with a 1740. And I've got one in the next book who could do one of those with a Browning BPS sandwiched in the middle. :)

Diamondback6
August 3, 2009, 04:48 PM
Hey, I've written a dude about 5'4 and 200lbs. of batcrap freakin' insane (but on the side of the Good Guys) who packs a 1740, so...

When do we get "How to Build" sheets on a Title I version of the Abomination?:D lol

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - Shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/john+williams/track/shuttle+tydirium+approaches+endor)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

Dr.Rob
August 3, 2009, 04:54 PM
Got my copies today!

statelineblues
August 3, 2009, 05:11 PM
Just finished it - Great! Waiting for Vol 2...

(And you can't tell me they don't have a BAR sitting in the armory somewhere...)

alemonkey
August 3, 2009, 05:16 PM
I got mine the other day and finished it the following day. This was honestly one of the most entertaining books I've read in a long time. My wife said she couldn't remember the last time I tore through a book like that. Like the cover says, if you like late night monster movies (I love them!) you'll love this book.

longdayjake
August 3, 2009, 05:22 PM
Well, I guess I'll have to buy it now. Dang those first 7 chapters!!!! I thought it would be dumb until I read those first 7. Congrats on your sales. Oh, and if you ever need to speak portuguese I can speak it pretty fluently. However, the FBI said I only had #2 proficiency. Whatever that means. Boa sorte com seu livro!

Correia
August 13, 2009, 02:22 PM
longdayjake, hey, how is your Portuguese swearing? I may need some assistance. I'll send you a PM with some questions.

Cougfan2
August 13, 2009, 02:42 PM
Ok, didn't even get thru the first chapter on the Baen web site and I'm hooked. Will check the local Barnes and Noble this weekend, but will order from Amazon if I don't find it there.

Norinco982lover
August 13, 2009, 02:51 PM
Ordered mine yesterday on Amazon.com. I am bugging my wife to death while waiting for it to get here...GUESS WHAT IT ALREADY SHIPPED YIPPEE!!!

I can't wait:)

hacksaw
August 13, 2009, 03:10 PM
Larry,
The book was a great read!!! I hope you dont mind a small piece of criticism though....Dont you think a Monster Hunter should have an AR in .50 Beowulf!?? It just seems such a natural fit, I imagine a .50 silver slug would sting a might..... Again a terrific book, now give us MORE!!!!!!!!!

massad ayoob
August 13, 2009, 03:13 PM
Good news! Looking forward to buying a copy.

TedP
August 13, 2009, 03:14 PM
Any chance this will be available on Kindle?

Correia
August 13, 2009, 03:37 PM
Ted, it is available to download for Kindle. http://www.webscription.net/s-176-larry-correia.aspx I'm not sure how it works, because I don't have a Kindle (yet), but I know it can be put on a Kindle from webscriptions.

Thanks, guys. :)

DoubleTapDrew
August 13, 2009, 04:20 PM
I got hooked on the first 7 chapters on the wordpress site, now I'm on ch.11 after picking up a copy from Amazon. It's definitely hard to put down, and I'm not the type of person who normally reads books of that genre!

TedP
August 13, 2009, 08:48 PM
Great! Thanks Larry!

Edit: I got it. Getting books from WebScription to Kindle is very easy. If anyone has any questions, send me a PM.

Fred Fuller
August 13, 2009, 08:57 PM
Mega Congratulations, Larry! Now for the movie rights....

Here's your t-shirt: http://www.mcphee.com/items/M6294.html :D

lpl (Author! Author!)

longdayjake
August 14, 2009, 02:18 AM
longdayjake, hey, how is your Portuguese swearing? I may need some assistance. I'll send you a PM with some questions.

Well, its good but its Brazilian. I don't think all the words are the same as portugal portuguese. I know of a few that are the same but I haven't spent any time in portugal so I don't know what context they would put it in.

Good job!!! I feel inspired to write my own story. I already have some 25 pages written. Thanks!!!

Do you speak Portuguese or is it just your family name?

Correia
August 14, 2009, 10:17 AM
Grandparents immigrated from the Azores. Dad never spoke it at home, so we never learned it.

I grew up in a Portuguese community, but I was the oddball that didn't speak it, and I was "half Okie".

Norinco982lover
August 17, 2009, 12:30 PM
I'm 300 pages in! This book is awesome:D Boy am I glad I read about 1000 words a minute...I should be done in the next few days if I can sneak in another night staying up til 3am reading and re-reading this awesome book!

~Norinco

p.s. Correia, please tell me you have more books/stories that I can find to read when I finish this book? I don't want it to end!

armchairQB
August 19, 2009, 05:50 PM
Who did the cover art?

Not that Im judging a book by its cover or anything.

Dewey123
August 19, 2009, 08:01 PM
I'm into chapter 3 on the Baen Website, and it's clear that this is going to be the next book I buy. Good for you!

Dr_2_B
August 19, 2009, 08:12 PM
Hey that's awesome

Dewey123
August 19, 2009, 09:17 PM
I just finished the online sample... and I need that book. Correia, it's absolutely top-notch. I can't wait to find out what happens next!

Nikdfish
August 19, 2009, 09:35 PM
Just downloaded the electronic version (ebookwise/rocket format) from the Baen book site (www.webscription.net). It's the next on my "to read" list ...

Nick

BHP FAN
August 19, 2009, 10:30 PM
Just bought the only one at Borders,in Eureka,Ca. ten minutes ago.

Cliff
August 20, 2009, 09:32 AM
bought it, downloaded it to my computer,dragged and dropped it into my Kindle. No problemo.

Correia
August 21, 2009, 08:13 PM
Alan Pollack did the artwork.

I do have more books coming, in this series, and in two others.

I'm glad you guys are liking it. :)

D94R
August 21, 2009, 08:21 PM
Larry, you still kicking around FBMG? I need to get my book signed :)

Correia
August 23, 2009, 12:07 AM
I sold out of FBMG back in 2008. I haven't done anything with them all year.

Since you're local, I'll be doing a book signing at the Jordan Landing Barnes & Noble next Saturday from 2-4.

ArfinGreebly
August 23, 2009, 03:42 AM
Larry, our two copies arrived last week.

Wife started reading it today. She said it grabbed her on page 1. She has finished chapter one and declares it to be well written and "good stuff."

FWIW, she's a big Dean Koontz fan, reads voraciously, and will drop a book like a dead spider if the writing is bad. She's already asking if you've got the sequel done.

So . . . how do I go about getting your autograph on one of these?

stevek
August 23, 2009, 08:49 AM
Larry,
I bought one of the original copies that came with the patch...AWESOME! Tried to find it to re-read, and couldn't find it anywhere :eek: So I went and bought a new copy, and two days later my friend told me that he found it in his car from when I lent it to him :D The new copy is in my sons hands now while he is on vacation. Can't wait for the next installment! Any idea when we might be able to get it, and will there be a THR pre-release version?

Larry Ashcraft
August 23, 2009, 01:51 PM
Barnes & Noble here has (had) two copies. I bought one so I won't have to loan out my "first edition" anymore.

Thingster
August 23, 2009, 10:25 PM
I'll echo a previous sentiment- from the brief synopsis I wasn't expecting much. I clicked on the 7 chapter "teaser" just to see if it was worth anything and had to stop at the barnes & noble on the way home to pick it up :D

The borders didn't have it, but said they'd had a couple people order it in, so they were getting a couple of extra copies to have available.

It definitely has me wanting to see a sequel out. . .

cchris
August 24, 2009, 02:05 AM
Congrats, this looks like it'll be a great read. And since I'm forced to read day in and day out for my classes, it'll be nice to read something that I don't have to memorize... :)

Schofield3
August 24, 2009, 11:41 AM
Congratulations Larry, Just picked up my copy this weekend at a local Barnes & Noble! keep up the good work!

Norinco982lover
August 24, 2009, 01:38 PM
Just finished it---FANTASTIC! I can't wait for the next book:) I especially like...well...the shotgun.

~Norinco

Correia
August 27, 2009, 04:13 PM
Well, I've got to bring this up to say one thing. I'm really glad you guys have liked it...

Because I just got a deal for 2 more. BOO YAH!

Cliff
August 27, 2009, 06:08 PM
Congratulations for the deal Larry. Pretty soon John Ringo will have you on his speed dial.:D

ArfinGreebly
August 27, 2009, 07:13 PM
See here:

http://noisyroom.net/blog/2009/08/27/monster-hunter-international/

Also, how to get yer autograff on one of our copies?

Plz?

longdayjake
August 27, 2009, 07:17 PM
If you ever need someone to proof read your books, I have proofread about 8 senior papers and atleast 30 graduate school applications for several of my buddies. I'm free too.

Dr.Rob
August 27, 2009, 08:24 PM
it was just as good the 2nd time around Larry! And congrats!

D94R
August 27, 2009, 08:30 PM
Since you're local, I'll be doing a book signing at the Jordan Landing Barnes & Noble next Saturday from 2-4.

Sigh... I work :(

Rundownfid
August 27, 2009, 09:45 PM
I just ordered one. Congratulations on getting your book out.

Correia
August 27, 2009, 11:16 PM
Arfin, shoot me an e-mail and I'll send you a mailing addy. If you've got a SASE, I'll sign it and send it back.

Otherwise I sell already autographed ones on my blog. (though I'm running behind on those)

Flea
August 31, 2009, 10:36 PM
Correia, just thought I would say to you and the rest of the world that I just finished your book and it was AWESOME.

If you are a shooter...
if you like action books...
hell,
if you like reading... I highly recommend it. A fun read through and through. I couldn't stop reading! I had to force myself to stop at 3:00 in the morning because I had to get up at 7:30 for work!

Eschaton
September 8, 2009, 02:45 AM
I picked it up the other day at the local Barnes and Noble. Finally got to sit down and get some serious reading done. Excellent work and it's making me laugh quite a lot.

JohnBT
September 8, 2009, 09:01 AM
"2 more"

http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/bowdown.gif

Oh yeah.

Madcap_Magician
September 8, 2009, 10:40 AM
Saw it at my local B&N and grabbed it. Awesome book.

Can't wait for the sequel.

Baen has been one of my favorite publishers for a long time, too.

BBQLS1
October 16, 2009, 10:21 AM
I got this book a couple of days ago. I'm up to chapter 13 and well, it's a hoot. Lots of just plain fun. This book definitely fits the gun folk audience.

theotherwaldo
October 16, 2009, 02:38 PM
Just finished it last night. (Well, after all, I finally received it yesterday afternoon.)

My sister wants it next.

By the way, Larry, have you discussed this book with Pete Abrams? :rolleyes:

GBExpat
October 16, 2009, 03:16 PM
I ordered it in August after reading the online chapters and it just arrived yesterday ... :D

Thanks, Larry!

Correia
October 16, 2009, 09:28 PM
theotherwaldo, I e-mailed him about it. Never heard back. :) Yep. I'm a longtime Sluggy fan.

Diamondback6
October 16, 2009, 09:32 PM
Larry, hope you don't mind but I started an "Abomination Parts" thread over on the Saiga board--about as un-THR as it gets, but I figured they're the experts. (If you ever look in over there, I'd appreciate your advice on the project as well.)

Looks like this is another "Rule of Twos" book--anything I like, I have to pick up two copies of 'cause things tend to happen to the first copies.

D-Day
October 17, 2009, 06:54 AM
Excellent bump, I'm gonna have to pick up a copy of this.

Unistat
October 17, 2009, 12:18 PM
Well, I'm a long time Baen reader and saw the book on Webscriptions. I ordered the e-arc on a hunch (I love monster hunter stories). I was more than pleasantly surprised!
What a treat! Accruate exposition on firearms? Amazing! Undead killing action? Awsome! Badass heros? Outstanding!
It was like someone read my mind and put all the stuff I think is cool into one story. What is even more remarkable is that I never even knew Mr. Correia existed much less posted here as I am an infrequent visitor, I normally visit another forum.
Anyway, I am eagerly looking forward to the next book!

beaucoup ammo
October 17, 2009, 12:31 PM
Someone did read your mind.. and your posts.. and the the great American Tradition Of Exploitive Entrepreneurial Enterprise continues. It's how you get things done!

We're all proud Mr. C. and "MHI"...and look forward to more reading We can enjoy and relate to! Bravo!

Correia
October 17, 2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks guys. I wrote MHI for the people that post on gun forums. I was later surprised to learn that everybody else bought it too. :)

I saw the thread on Saiga 12, but I haven't posted there in years. Somebody was already crying about the .308 magazines I used to make and how they can't get them, but I sold out of that business a year ago, so no longer my problem.

There isn't any official parts list for Abomination, just because when I wrote that scene many of the custom parts we have now didn't exist yet. I did buy a CZ-52 bayonet that I plan on using on a custom build eventually.

I've since sold 2 more books to Baen. The second MH book, Monster Hunter Vendetta will be out in Fall 2010. I've got two other series that I'm hoping to sell as well. Dead Six (based on the Welcome Back Mr. Nightcrawler thread here on THR written with Nightcrawler) and an alternative history/fantasy set in 1932 called the Grimnoir Chronicles.

MikeNice
February 4, 2011, 09:58 PM
A little necromancy is good when discussing a book about monsters. :evil:

I know I'm more than a little late to the party. I just recieved my copy from Amazon. I am about 10% of the way through and I'm enjoying it. No pretense, no bs about a spy with a .32, no Glocks with a manual safety.

Oh and the story is really entertaining as well. Congrats and good work.

Deus Machina
February 5, 2011, 03:18 AM
About 3/4 of the way through my copy, too. More believable characters than a lot of other best-sellers, happy to see that Pitt largely shares my taste in firearms.

Oh, and I'd like to congratulate you for Skippy's taste in music. :D

Cryogaijin
May 23, 2011, 05:44 AM
Finished this and Vendetta over the last 4 days. Liked them quite a bit, and am looking forward to the sequels.

It strikes me, however, that this universe would be an excellent place to open up for other posters to try their hand, similar to how Flint did with his Ring of Fire 'verse. I could easily see two anthologies arising from something like this: MHI: Auditions and MHI: Missions. (Auditions would be short stories about how various low visibility people got hired by MHI, and Missions. . . well exactly what it sounds like.) Thoughts?

As for the novels, They were pretty good. I did wince a bit in the first novel when you described "slamming in a new magazine" into the abominator. OTOH in vendetta you mentioned rocking them in, so it's all good. The biggest criticism I have, however, is the use of coincidence and unoriginal characters. I don't mind the protagonist at all, but some of the minor characters are a bit iffy. Brushing up against famous and historical figures is fun, but so very very overused that it gets VERY cliche. Frank's origin, for example, felt quite sophomoric, as did the aquisition of the warding stone. (Trying not to drop spoilers, so bear with me!)

IMO, this is one of the things that makes Heinlein's latter works less enjoyable, as he bends probability like taffy. Likewise, much of Ringo's work uses too much of "The Ultimate *" in whatever field. Now, you're nowhere near as bad as either example, but I see a bit of trending in that direction. Having approachable characters, with believable backstories is much more enjoyable for me than having the world's ultimate badass who not only designs his own gear, but leads the charge into battle and survives a point blank nuking. (especially when a little bit more thought into how he had set up the invasion would result in a solution that completely defuses the posleen threat. . . )

OTOH I loved the "Fan service" The referance to BunBun, l33tspeak and hackertalk, the gun-terms, etc. Though no Veteran of the Psychic Wars being played. . .

Piney Woods
May 23, 2011, 01:56 PM
How about a Kindle edition?

JohnBiltz
May 23, 2011, 08:16 PM
How about a Kindle edition?
Baen has e-rights to the book
http://www.webscription.net/s-176-larry-correia.aspx one or more of those formats will work on the kindle.

BHP FAN
May 23, 2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks!

Flfiremedic
June 23, 2011, 10:13 AM
Ok...waiting-not so patiently- for book 3...and wondering what else I can download from Jim Baen? Books were great btw! Finally why are you on here???? Get back to writing! :)

Unistat
June 23, 2011, 01:16 PM
Ok...waiting-not so patiently- for book 3...and wondering what else I can download from Jim Baen? Books were great btw! Finally why are you on here???? Get back to writing! :)
The Electronic Advanced Reader Copy (E-ARC) for Monster Hunter Alpha is out.

http://www.webscription.net/p-1444-monster-hunter-alpha-arc.aspx

Bonus points for being set in Michigan!

If you enjoyed reading about "The Monster has landed: MHI is in stores now" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!