Are these AR-15 parts interchangeable?

PDA

camoman33935
July 27, 2009, 02:09 PM
Ok...I was just lookin at Del-Tons website and noticed that if you buy an upper without a charging handle, bolt, and bolt carrier, it would cost $100 less. I already have a DPMS upper and would like to know if I bought a Del-Ton upper if I could swap the charging handle, bolt, and bolt carrier from the DPMS to the Del-Ton and vice versa.

Also, does Del-Ton produce a quality product?

If you enjoyed reading about "Are these AR-15 parts interchangeable?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WNC Seabee
July 27, 2009, 02:14 PM
The parts are totally interchangeable. I have a bolt/carrier/charging handle from a S&W MP-15 riding in a CMMG upper as we speak.

camoman33935
July 27, 2009, 02:21 PM
cool thanks...do you happen to know about the quality of Del-Ton uppers?

taliv
July 27, 2009, 02:28 PM
technically, you should check to make sure the bolt is properly headspaced on the new gun, but yes, the parts are interchangeable

nhm16
July 27, 2009, 02:29 PM
Parts are interchangeable, but if you have a significant (say over 1000) number of rounds through an upper, it is recommended that you keep bolts and barrels together, because the wear patterns will be different with a bolt used with another barrel, possibly causing premature wear on the bolt and headspace issues. Bolts are the main thing that break (as opposed to wear out) in an AR.

Del-Ton seems good to go from what I've read.

I would recommend you get the bolt/carrier/charging handle with your new upper, because whether you realize it or not you will want to use both uppers, like say, if you built another lower, and to buy those parts separately will run you around $150-180.

camoman33935
July 27, 2009, 03:02 PM
ok thanks

rcmodel
July 27, 2009, 04:15 PM
it is recommended that you keep bolts and barrels together, because the wear patterns will be different+1

rc

Rubber_Duck
July 28, 2009, 03:36 AM
Agree with the above. Don't be cheap, buy each upper its own bolt carrier group.

offthepaper
July 28, 2009, 01:35 PM
Agree with the above. Don't be cheap, buy each upper its own bolt carrier group.

Yep.
Sometimes saving a little bit of money can cost you a bundle. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Are these AR-15 parts interchangeable?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!