mini 14 not accurate

PDA

endebt
July 27, 2009, 09:22 PM
I have 2 mini 14"s and 1 mini 30. They have never been tack drivers, but shot ok at 50 yrs or so. The last couple times a yok jumped up i have missed. I layed it off on being 64 years old. Today i shot them in on a bench and they don"t want to pattern. I read a thread somewhere about a barrel stabalizer. It bolts on the barrel. It was suppose to take the whip out of these barrels. Any one with any information i sure woluld be thankful for the information,

If you enjoyed reading about "mini 14 not accurate" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ZombiesAhead
July 27, 2009, 09:28 PM
Well, hopefully your rifles shouldn't "pattern." Shotguns pattern. And what's a "yok"?

Anyway, I think you are referring to the "Accu-Strut." I'm not very familiar with them but many Mini owners swear by them to prevent barrel flex. Try browsing perfectunion.com for some very good Mini-specific information.

GRIZ22
July 27, 2009, 09:30 PM
Today i shot them in on a bench and they don"t want to pattern.

Ruger Minis aren't known for their accuracy but you have to put a heck of a lot of rounds through them before that accuracy they have goes. I'd suggest have a good shooter you know try them out and see how he does before you go spend money on anything.

frankiestoys
July 27, 2009, 09:40 PM
I have the new ss with a synthetic stock and the heavier barrel . I installed a nikon prostaff scope had a trigger job done and also installed a accu-strut to it. It is still not a tack driver but it will shoot 1 inch groups at 50 yrds. From what i hear from other owners, that's not bad.

22-rimfire
July 27, 2009, 09:43 PM
I expect pie plate accuracy at 100 yds with them. Good enough for what I use it for.

FlyinBryan
July 27, 2009, 09:53 PM
mini 14 not accruate

agreed, i dont know what got lost in the translation because m1a/m14/garand rifles are superbly accurate by comparison.

I have the new ss with a synthetic stock and the heavier barrel . I installed a nikon prostaff scope had a trigger job done and also installed a accu-strut to it. It is still not a tack driver but it will shoot 1 inch groups at 50 yrds. From what i hear from other owners, that not bad.
thats awesome for a mini14, at least compared to the one i had, and others ive shot. in fact, if mine had been as accurate as yours i would surely still have it.

endebt
July 27, 2009, 10:19 PM
can you tell me where you got the accu-strut

pbratton
July 27, 2009, 10:27 PM
try accu-strut.com

frankiestoys
July 27, 2009, 10:27 PM
just google Accu-strut or theres another style called the Har-Bar

lions
July 27, 2009, 10:33 PM
And what's a "yok"?

I think he means "yote", as in coyote. That is what my grandpa calls them. And yes, is should rhyme with "coat".

Bass Killer
July 27, 2009, 10:40 PM
Thats why i wont own one, very unaccurate. After using a M16A2 and M4 the Ruger just seems flawed and a short distance shooter. Ive heard about some changes being made and the new models being better? I dont know? Go SR-556

endebt
July 27, 2009, 11:02 PM
I want to thank yall for you help. I will try to spell better next. And maybe not be such a bother. Thanks again.

frankiestoys
July 27, 2009, 11:30 PM
no bother at all

cat_IT_guy
July 27, 2009, 11:39 PM
Really no bother we are all here to exchange information and opinions. Why some feel the need to correct even the slightest of spelling and grammar errors I cannot understand. Dont worry about it.

ZombiesAhead
July 28, 2009, 12:02 AM
Bass Killer:

Thats why i wont own one, very unaccurate. After using a M16A2 and M4 the Ruger just seems flawed and a short distance shooter.

C'mon, seriously? It's no target rifle but "very unaccurate" is not at all correct.

Ratshooter
July 28, 2009, 12:41 AM
Endebt go to www.perfectunion.com for all things mini-14. You can find links to the strut builders and several threads for making your own strut.

PzGren
July 28, 2009, 01:51 AM
A friend has a surprisingly accurate Mini14, it has a composite stock and a flash hider.

Bass Killer
July 28, 2009, 07:18 PM
Bass Killer:

C'mon, seriously? It's no target rifle but "very unaccurate" is not at all correct.

Short range rifle, not at all close to a AR or a AR variant.

Art Eatman
July 28, 2009, 08:42 PM
The Minis I've had did well with three-shot groups. With the Weaver K4, I regularly got around 1.5 MOA. First shots reliably went to the same place as the day or week or month before, which is all a hunter needs.

As far as the A2, the heavier barrel lends itself better to five-shot groups. Better than my first standard-variety AR, back around 1980-ish or thereabouts.

A-FIXER
July 28, 2009, 09:59 PM
A friend has a surprisingly accurate Mini14, it has a composite stock and a flash hider.
I agree as well I placed an yhm flash hider to support the suppressor but without the suppressor it shoots well under 2'' at 100 yrds with an scope atop of it and thats with a hot used barrel I do think as well that the added weight does make a difference not being a gunsmith but a avid sporting (for enjoyment) shooter it does well for me and I still think the hard trigger pull has alot to add to it being a non-tack driver but just an normal guy not a sniper-expert or thinking i'm one. just one that like to shoot as often as I get a chance when life and work allows.

nefarmboy
July 28, 2009, 11:07 PM
I had problems with my mini 30 at 100yds with a scope. Couldn't get it to sight in for the life of me. Then an observer told me my brass was beatin' on the elevation knob every time I fired it. I was crankin' and crankin' on it and couldn't figure out why it kept shooting up and left from sandbags. And I KNOW I was locked on target when I pulled the trigger.

As for accuracy, I can hit a ground squirrel at 25 yards, standing, off hand, using iron sights with my mini 14.

black_powder_Rob
July 29, 2009, 05:14 PM
nefarmboy: try putting your scope on its side so that the case has a clear path.

as for the op, what grain bullet are you using? and what brand, most minis (580 series) like the 55gr bullets and mine seems to eat up monarch steel case ammo and keeps about 2moa with a scope shooting on bags with a 5 shot string. it does open up a little off hand and with no scope but it is more fun (to me) to shoot it that way. it still stays in the birch wood shoot n see 8" stick its at 100 yards.

as for those who say the AR is better, I have this friend/neighbor who has a lower priced ar from DPMS and it jams all the time and shoots about the same as my mini. Now I now it is a lower end of the AR's but we bought them around the same time and mine was about 300 less than what he paid for it(pre obama) I will admit that it is not a sub MOA gun but it can shoot about the same as the lower end AR's. I will admit that it is not a sub MOA gun, but it works for what I want it for (plan on pig hunting with it this year)and it cost a Lot less than a high end AR.

black_powder_Rob
July 29, 2009, 05:15 PM
oh and i forgot to mention that my friends AR jams all the time. while my Ruger runs and runs.

briansmithwins
July 29, 2009, 05:21 PM
oh and i forgot to mention that my friends AR jams all the time. while my Ruger runs and runs.

That’s funny: My Mini-14 jammed frequently and my ARs just run and run…

BSW

black_powder_Rob
July 29, 2009, 05:42 PM
LOL, luck of the Draw maybe? lol:w

nefarmboy
July 29, 2009, 11:56 PM
nefarmboy: try putting your scope on its side so that the case has a clear path.

I would but it's a BDC reticule so I don't think I'll be needing the 200, 300, or 400 yard windage adjustment. going with reduced bushings and velcro on the elevation knob cover.

jmabbott888@aol.com
July 30, 2009, 12:30 AM
My mini-4 is a stainless model made in 1985 isn't to bad on accuracy. With a cheap golden antler 3x9 on a b-square mount my 10 yr old can hit the ram at 500 meters 4 times out of 5 off the bench. Granted it takes him a few rounds to figure the hold over since the Mini isn't sighted in at that range. Here is a pic from a couple years ago (he shoots lefty... I hate that lol)

Rokman
July 30, 2009, 12:09 PM
My two min's aren't accurate either. There good enough for 100 yards or so, but not like my ar's. Both platforms have been totally reliable for me.

Offfhand
July 30, 2009, 07:36 PM
Who says they aren't accurate? Of the dozen or so I've tested only a couple failed to group within a 3" circle at 100 yards. But of course I was firing from a bench rest with high-X scopes and high quality ammo. Others may not get such good results. Just don't expect too much and you'll be satisfied.

W.E.G.
July 31, 2009, 11:31 AM
Think about buying a better rifle.

The Mini-14 is generally a disappointment in accuracy.

I wouldn't waste money trying to make it do something its not suited for.

The scope mount arrangement is simply awful.
I've never seen one that didn't shake loose with heavy use, even when Loctite was on all the fasteners.

Its an OK iron-sight gun.
If you want to make iron-sight accuracy comparisons, its just about on par with a Winchester Model 94.

Just look at who who the gun was really marketed to.
Police departments and corrections.
It clearly meets the needs of those agencies - or at least it did in the 80's.
Simple to operate and maintain, good firepower, low recoil, effective cartridge at close range.
Remember, when the Mini-14 came into being, the M16 was still very much suspect in the eye of agency buyers.

The Mini-14 reliably holds minute-of-man at 100 yards are less.
If that is your need, then fine.
If you need more accuracy, get a more modern and accurate rifle.

$1,000 buys a very nice AR-15.
Then you can sell the Mini-14's. Sell them while people still want them.

Bass Killer
July 31, 2009, 07:44 PM
accurate shooting at a distance beyond 100 or 200 yards. You wont find that with a Mini 14. AR's go the distance with the same cartridge. I would pay the extra money, because the difference is amazing with the AR or even a Sig 556. Unless you like the M14 style action? Remember the Mini 14 platform is a toned down version of a .308, for the best choice in a Mini 14 go 6.8mm

nefarmboy
July 31, 2009, 10:13 PM
I'd like to thank W.E.G. and Bass Killer for helping me make a decision. I'm gonna but my Nikon Buckmaster w/BDC on my Mini14 instead of my Mini30. That way I can see for myself if an AR15 really is as accurate as the 14 at longer distances.

Bishop.357
August 2, 2009, 08:58 AM
My advice to you friend is sell them for as much as possable and buy something that can hit its target more then 50ft away,that and .223/5.56 is a sh*ty round anyway you look at it. My wife owns a newer Mini-14 and she insists that I hand load all her ammo because off the shelf and military grade rounds are pathedic according to her,I happen to agree.

Redneck with a 40
August 2, 2009, 10:44 AM
So far, I'm averaging 2" groups at 100 yards with my mini-14, with PMC 55 gr FMJ, which is quality ammo. I'm very happy with that, its all I need. If it'll hold under 5" at 200 yards, then that's great, that's about as far as I'll ever shoot anyway.

I don't like the gas impingement system of the AR's, or the plastic furniture, I don't want a precision machined rifle that will break down if it gets dirty. This is why the soldiers in Iraq clean their M-4's THREE times a day, whether or not they fire them. They also use plastic zip-loc bags to keep dust and sand out of the action, which tends to lock them up.

I'd take my mini-14 over a basement model AR, such as the DPMS Sportical, no dustcover, no forward assist, no chrome lined barrel.

jerkface11
August 2, 2009, 11:52 AM
So you think a mini14 would work with powder fine sand in the action?? Oh wait you think PMC is quality ammo never mind.

Joe Demko
August 2, 2009, 12:09 PM
The stainless mini and the blued ranch rifle I owned were pretty lackluster in accuracy if you had plans of doing more than firing a shot or two from a cold barrel. At the time, there were no reliable magazines of over 5 rounds capacity easily available, so I guess it wasn't as much of an issue as it could have been.
Both guns did cycle reliably. The rear sight on the RR had a habit of self-destructing from recoil forces, though.
If you want a Garand-style rifle in .223, they are the only game in town.

benEzra
August 2, 2009, 12:38 PM
So far, I'm averaging 2" groups at 100 yards with my mini-14, with PMC 55 gr FMJ, which is quality ammo. I'm very happy with that, its all I need. If it'll hold under 5" at 200 yards, then that's great, that's about as far as I'll ever shoot anyway.
Is yours a 580 series? If yours is an older one, you got lucky; my 188-series shot a best ever group of 5.5" at 100 yards, from a rest and rear bag. The 580 series guns are more consistently accurate, though, from all reports.

My advice to you friend is sell them for as much as possable and buy something that can hit its target more then 50ft away,that and .223/5.56 is a sh*ty round anyway you look at it. My wife owns a newer Mini-14 and she insists that I hand load all her ammo because off the shelf and military grade rounds are pathedic according to her,I happen to agree.
Well, even my mini would stay on a large pie plate at 200 yards, so even the worst mini's are accurate enough for typical defensive ranges. The big front sight also makes target acquisition inside 50 yards very fast.

Art Eatman
August 2, 2009, 12:51 PM
Jerkface11, I've been living in a desert for 26 years, and sand in any of my guns has never, ever been a problem. Minis, ARs, Winchesters, Weatherbys, Rugers, Colts, Berettas, you name it...

Thin-barrel Minis do okay for three shots. Thin-barrel Weatherbys do okay for three shots. Most generally, Wily Coyote or Bambi hits the ground after one shot.

What's the problem?

Redneck with a 40
August 2, 2009, 01:12 PM
Yes, my mini is a 580 series, I bought it earlier this week. Even after 30 rounds of slow fire, the groups never opened up beyond 2.5" at 100 yards.:) The new one's have quite a bit more steel in the barrel. They have much better iron sights too, but mine is scoped, Burris fullfield II 3-9x40, awesome scope, crystal clear and bright.:)

Jerkface, the PMC 55 gr FMJ ammo is quality for bulk ammo, its also boat-tailed. I'm not paying $20/box for match ammo to shoot out of a min-14. This rifle can't even maximize the potential of that ammo anyway.

jerkface11
August 2, 2009, 02:19 PM
Art I was referring to the post complaining about soldiers in Iraq having to clean their M4's 3 times a day due to sand.

black_powder_Rob
August 2, 2009, 02:26 PM
but by accounts of some on this board they do clean them three times a day.

jerkface11
August 2, 2009, 02:33 PM
I wasn't disputing that. He implied a Mini14 wouldn't have a problem with the powder fine sand found in the middle east.

black_powder_Rob
August 2, 2009, 02:54 PM
ahhh ok. well i don't own a AR varrients but my mini has not had any problems in the sandy areas of Texas, other than that i have no real world (firearms)experience (outside of Texas climates), and must go on what others say with a grain of salt.

black_powder_Rob
August 2, 2009, 02:58 PM
also RedNeck, I now you recently bought your new Mini, give it some time and once the barrel has been broken in it will group a little better, at least mine did! congrats on your new rifle and I know you will have many happy years with it.

4v50 Gary
August 2, 2009, 03:51 PM
I've read that shortening the barrel to 16 1/2" helps the accuracy. Shorter barrel, less whip (and more consistent barrel harmonics). The Accu-strut is also supposed to help with making the barrel more stable. I've got one, but have yet to install it on my friend's Mini. I can't install it on mine since mine is hiding out of state (mine's a GB folder).

BushyGuy
August 2, 2009, 04:06 PM
i used to have a 580 series Ruger Ranch Rifle, i added the scope it was pretty accurate till the barrel started to heat up afte rlike 20 shots then it start to spread... i sold it and bought my Bushmaster .. it never FTF it fired anything and everytime...they have the new Ruger Ranch Target Rifle i heard its a tack driver with the Harmonic Dampener at the end of the barrel..

NC-Mike
August 2, 2009, 04:15 PM

:rolleyes:

black_powder_Rob
August 2, 2009, 04:19 PM
yep its a DPMS sport-cal, he constantly had probs the day we went to the range together.
I did not say it was one of the top of the line models.

carbine85
August 2, 2009, 08:22 PM
One thing is to match the Mini 14 barrel twist to the correct ammo. The Mini 14 came in 3 different twist. The Mini 30 isn't known for being very accurate, not much better then the AK.
I'm one of the lucky ones. My stainless Mini 14 will shoot a 1.5-2" pattern at 100 yards with no problem as long as I use 55 gr ammo.

jimmyraythomason
August 2, 2009, 08:25 PM
"The Mini 30 isn't known for being very accurate, not much better then the AK." You have obviously never shot MY Mini-30. Yes it is factory original.

Art Eatman
August 2, 2009, 10:21 PM
Naw, jerkface, what I'm implying is that outside of fumblefingered dropping of any firearm, folks in the US don't generally drag guns through mud, blood, sand, snow, whatever. And I'd bet hard money that not all that many shooters fire so many shots at one sitting that normal crud buildup renders a semi-auto non-functional. Just my opinion, but worrying about functioning in a bunch of sand or mud is irrelevant to any non-military use.

Joe Demko
August 3, 2009, 12:26 PM
You have a great point there, Art. In the 40 years since I got my first gun, I've dropped a rifle exactly once. I was trying to adjust a sling with cold-numbed fingers and dropped the gun in the snow.
No doubt there actually are members here who have taken carbine classes and such where they pushed a gun to its limits. I doubt that there's more than a couple who do it on a continuing basis. The overwhelming majority of civilian arms primarily do one thing: sit in the gun cabinet. Which gun will continue to function after being blasted full of carborundum and superglue is nothing but a theoretical gabfest for almost all gun owners.

jerkface11
August 3, 2009, 12:58 PM
Exactly Art but Redneckwitha40 was saying that a mini14 would be impervious to the sand in Iraq. That stuff clogs up AK's.

jdub3
August 21, 2009, 03:39 PM
I bought a "mo-rod" from www.mo-rod.com

It's a bit less expensive than the accu-strut and IMO looks a bit "cleaner"; available in aluminum or steel and black and stainless. Love mine.

If you enjoyed reading about "mini 14 not accurate" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!