Marlin Model 60 vs Ruger 10/22?

PDA

JRockman
July 28, 2009, 12:33 AM
I know there may be some strong opinions regarding these two choices, so that's why I'm asking!

Looking at the base models in either of these options...Under $200 for each.

Want to hit 40oz cans (perhaps bottles) at 50-100 yards (e.g. good accuracy but not sub-moa) for cheap.

Want to avoid jamming issues...drives me crazy.

What do you think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin Model 60 vs Ruger 10/22?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BENELLIMONTE
July 28, 2009, 12:39 AM
I own both so this is a tough call. I would go with the Marlin 60 because it is out of the box a more accurate rifle in my experiences with both the 10/22 & the '60.

PT1911
July 28, 2009, 12:41 AM
10/22 all the way.. .more options down the road... sufficient accuracy and will last much longer than most model 60's... they tend to eat themselves pretty early on... if you doubt that... get one.. shot 500 rounds through it... with regular cleaning and you will find the action full of metal shavings and a noticeable grit to the working of the action... this will soon be refuted by all who have owned a model 60 for 37 years and maintain that without so much as a single patch down the bore it works as well as it did when it was new... a model 60 is a decent gun and can be had for 60-80 bucks used any day for a reason... that is just about all they are worth...

does that mean I will never get one? no.. it just means I wont be disappointed WHEN it has issues...

I also prefer mag fed to the tube system.

BigNYMini
July 28, 2009, 12:51 AM
Both great rifles. Best way to describe them is that each has its own personality. Jamming issues are generally magazine/ammo related.

Marlin 60 = Cheaper. Out the box accurate (micro-grooved barrel). Tube fed (up to 17 rounds-older models) no mags to purchase or lose. Not accessory friendly. No frills... no non-sense.

10/22 = Not as cheap. Ok accuracy (stock). Lots of tacticool stuff and accessories ($$$). Base model purchase generally doesnt stay that way for long. Smaller footprint.

40oz cans? :what: of what?

Marlin can do golf balls at 50-75 yards. Ruger... hand balls.

WNTFW
July 28, 2009, 12:52 AM
The Marlin has the edge on accuracy.
The Ruger has the edge on being easy to clean.

I'd say the Ruger would be easier to clear "jams". Notice I'm not saying you won't get FTFs and FTEs. Both may give problems.

The Ruger mag is easier to reload in certain conditions.

I'd also look at which one is easier to add a sling to.

I have the Marlin and it is a shooter. I hated the original sights though. With a scope it is pretty impressive. I have had 10/22's for extended periods left in my care so i have shot them. The iron sights on the Ruger are better in my case.

Both should be more than up to the task.

FlyinBryan
July 28, 2009, 12:59 AM
i bought a model 60 right out of high school (early 80's) and it wouldnt run at all.

i was never able to get it to feed, much less fire, a single round. im sure it was a defect because every time i tried to chamber a round, it would jam and knock a hole in the case and gunpowder was going everywhere. i returned it to walmart intending to exchange it for another one, which im sure would have been fine, but they didnt have another one so i got an iver johnson us carbine 22 instead. it was a faithful reproduction of an m1 carbine. i shot the carbine for a while but then wanted to upgrade stuff, like hicap mags and folding stocks and such. since that wasnt happening with the iver johnson, i bought a 1022 and have owned at least one ever since.

rugbyer81
July 28, 2009, 01:11 AM
I have the Marlin and what PT1911 said about the action/trigger becoming gritty after several hundred rounds is definately true. Cleaning one isn't difficult, but the grit gets in lots of places in the action that can be pretty difficult to reach, and these are the places that tend keep everything from running smoothly. As has been said many times before, mine is quite accurate and I rarely ever have a jam with it, but I always disassemble and clean at least every 500 rounds.

rangerruck
July 28, 2009, 01:15 AM
never get a new mod 60, allways used, at a gunshop or pawnshop, and never pay more than 100 bucks for one.
new ruger 10.22's are mostly plastic now; plastic front site base, plastic bbl band, plastic trigger housing assy., with plastic parts in it. Also the finish on the receivers/ bbls on the new 10.22's , is like Ray Charles using a Hershey bar.
Just terrible.
As for accuracy? it is no question, that any marlin mod 60 unmodified, will allways outshoot any ruger 10.22, and that includes 10.22's that are highly modified, with 100's of dollars of new parts.
the best of the mod 60's were made between 85 and 88. You can tell these by they have a 22 inch bbl, and the feed tube will go almost all the way to the end of the bbl, usually within 1 inch as long or less. These will hold 17 or 18 rounds in the feed tube, plus one in the bbl. They will also have the last shot bolt hold open lever, on the right side of the trigger housing, just forward of
the trigger.

chevyforlife21
July 28, 2009, 01:22 AM
i have both .i like the feel of the ruger and all the accessories including high cap mags available its a very reliable gun and stays real clean in the action the mags get kinda dirty though but whatever. now the accurcy is horrable. with the marlin its super accurate i can shoot a hot wheels at 50 yards but after even only100 rounds the action does get a sandy grity residue which doesnt seem to make it jam but i still take it apart after every 250-500 rounds.

CZguy
July 28, 2009, 01:39 AM
I know there may be some strong opinions regarding these two choices, so that's why I'm asking!

Looking at the base models in either of these options...Under $200 for each.

Want to hit 40oz cans (perhaps bottles) at 50-100 yards (e.g. good accuracy but not sub-moa) for cheap.

Want to avoid jamming issues...drives me crazy.

What do you think?

Both rifles would do what you are wanting them to do. Having owned both I prefer the Marlin. Why settle for hitting the can at 50-100 yards when you can hit it dead center with the Marlin. :D

Also you can find a good used model 60 at a pawn shop for $60.00 easily.

bensdad
July 28, 2009, 01:50 AM
I'd be willing to bet that there are more Marlin Mod. 60s than any other .22LR rifle in the world. There's a reason for that.

Like to tinker? Get the Ruger.
Like to shoot? Get the Marlin.

I could tell you of a couple range sessions I've had where guys with 10-22s had to make excuses about why their gun was "off" that day:rolleyes:
but it would read like internet bravado. Heck, get the Ruger. You can spend a lifetime trying to find just the right aftermarket goodies to make it shoot as accurately as a 60. Good luck with that.

ETA: In fairness, I have two Mod. 60s. One eats Fed. bulk-pack without issue, but jams on anything solid lead. The other one doesn't like the Fed. I have no idea what accounts for the difference.

FlyinBryan
July 28, 2009, 01:53 AM
As for accuracy? it is no question, that any marlin mod 60 unmodified, will allways outshoot any ruger 10.22, and that includes 10.22's that are highly modified, with 100's of dollars of new parts.

so are you saying that a stock marlin 60 will outshoot a 1022 with a shilen or clark custom barrel?

i have no doubt that a stock 60 will outshoot a stock 1022, but there is no way a stock 60 will outshoot a hotrodded 1022.

as far as pure accuracy goes, a stock model 60 is probably not going to break into the top five if your talking about going up against modified rifles.

just check out the july rimfire match. if im not mistaken, a stock 1022t is leading both classes.

my 1022 has a 100 dollar gm barrel and i just cant see a stock marlin 60 coming even close to it.

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/flyinbryan_photos/1022pic2.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/flyinbryan_photos/1022pic1.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/flyinbryan_photos/1022pic4.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/flyinbryan_photos/1022pic3.jpg

like i said, and i will repeat it, a stock 60 will probably outshoot a stock standard version 1022, but when a stock marlin starts going up against custom rugers, it is not going to come out on top

KenWP
July 28, 2009, 02:06 AM
How does the Model 70 Marlin stack up to the Model 60. The model 70 had a k6 Weaver scope on it when I bought it and seems to shoot well enough to use it. I have a 10-22SS model but since I only paid $30 bucks for it brand new it dosn't owe me any money.

JRockman
July 28, 2009, 02:10 AM
40oz cans? :what: of what?

Canadian Colt 45 Malt, no doubt!

mp5a3
July 28, 2009, 09:55 AM
I have and love the Marlin 60, it was my first gun and I've been shooting them since the 80's. I love the tube feed, the last thing I need is more mags. I have AR15 mags, AK mags, Sig mags, Glock Mags, MP5 mags, etc. I like just going to shoot with the gun and a box of ammo, nothing else needed.

VeggieH
July 28, 2009, 10:15 AM
10-22 for the 30 round clips......................oh yeah:evil:

JonB
July 28, 2009, 11:19 AM
Marlin.

More likely to be quite accurate out of the box. I can't disagree with the action getting dirty - especially with Remington bulk crap. But as to it wearing out?? Not sure I buy that one. When it's dirty, you clean it. Just like any other gun.

Mine got crudded up after about 700 rds of Remington. Cleaned it good, switched to Federal and it runs like a top.

The irons sights as so-so, I went with a 3x9 scope (even though I found 4 to be about the perfect setting).

As to the pawn shop buys for 60-100 bucks. Ha! not where I live. I haven't even seen a Mod 60 in a pawn shop around here. So if you can find it for that, grab it.

But I wouldn't really call those built guns Rugers. They're custom guns that are only based on a Ruger. And it's cheaper to buy a gun already built because you're not paying for parts you end up not using. Think about it. You buy a Ruger with a barrel and you put a better barrel on it and what do you do with the old barrel you have already paid for? You toss it in a box in case you might need it 20 years from now. That's about all you can do with it.

+1 Easier to just buy it custom built. Volquartsen (https://www.volquartsen.com/category/20-rimfire-rifles/9-ruger-semi-auto) has some good stuff. Probably the only way I would buy a 10/22.

ArmedBear
July 28, 2009, 11:44 AM
If you just want to buy a .22 and go shoot, get the Marlin and a Nikon 4x32 scope, and go to it.

I sold my 10/22 because it was a jam-o-matic, the mags are a PITA, and it was nowhere near accurate. It's good for one thing: customizing. If you want that, get a Magnum Research MagnumLite, save money, and get a fully-custom 10/22 out of the box, with a better receiver than a Ruger-based gun will ever have. If money is no object, get a Volquartsen.

If you just want a .22 that will shoot straight, get a Marlin 60.

FlyinBrian- This is a 5-shot group at 50 from my BONE STOCK Marlin 60 that I bought new for $137. CCI Mini-Mag 40 grains. Nikon 4x32 Rimfire Classic scope, $100 including rings.

http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=98594&d=1243025418

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=5624479#post5624479

BENELLIMONTE
July 28, 2009, 12:04 PM
A clarification on my earlier post. I own a stock Marlin 60; a stock 10/22 and a 10/22 Target model. The The Marlin shoots better
and jams less than the standard 10/22. The 10/22 Target shoots better than the marlin but jams occasionally. Oh I forgot to add that the Target 10/22 was about 200.00 more than the Marlin!

rangerruck
July 28, 2009, 12:24 PM
Okay, Flyinbryan, I wasn't going to do this, but here goes;
this is a stock mod 60; allbeit it might be the most accurate one ever built.
I got it at a pawnshop for 75 bucks total, it looked like it had never been fired.
It hadn't, becuase there was a 22 mag round jammed in the feed throat assy.
I took it out, and went to work.
this is sandbag rests, 100 yd targets, with a Tasco varmint 6x24x42 scope.
Again, 100 yd targets, sandbag rests only, and these are only a few of the targets shown, as I was testing over 100 diff types of rounds, over a 2 day period.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60016.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60013.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60012.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60011.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60010.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60009.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60007.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60006.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60005.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60003.jpg

Those are all 1 inch dots, so as you can see, pretty much every group here,
is 1 inch or less at 100 yds. And take a second look at that American Eagle
group, that is 4 shots in the same hole , with 1 called flyer!!! awesome. I am a decent enough shot, but this rifle is deff better than me.

jackdanson
July 28, 2009, 12:27 PM
this will soon be refuted by all who have owned a model 60 for 37 years and maintain that without so much as a single patch down the bore it works as well as it did when it was new..

Yep! Like me!

Marlin 60 all the way.

JonB
July 28, 2009, 12:28 PM
Nice shooting Ranger! What was the 'best' ammo you used? I see several that look very close. I have been feeding mine mostly Federal or winchester bulk for plinking and whacking gophers.

I get nice groups at 50 yards (ie cover with a quarter or smaller) using cheap ammo. Haven't tried for 100 yrds yet, might try next time I actully get range time. 2 kids under 2yrs old has really cramped my trigger time ;-)

ArmedBear
July 28, 2009, 12:31 PM
I have to do some more shooting like rangerruck. The group above was shot when I was at the range for other things (e.g. sighting in using my .44 handloads in a Super Blackhawk at 100 yards -- see the big hole in the picture).

The point is: my 60 is a recent-production gun with the wood stock (all Marlin 60 stocks are laminate, now, even if they don't look striped). I bought it new a bit over a year ago. His is an old one with a press-checkered solid wood stock.

It's not just his gun. It's not just my gun. IMO the Marlin 60 is THE ONE if you just want to buy it and shoot it.

In order to get a 10/22 to shoot as well, you have to do this:

http://www.norcalblogs.com/commission/images/money-down-toilet.jpg

FlyinBryan
July 28, 2009, 12:34 PM
definitly better than a stock 1022, but still not as good as a customized 1022.

it does look good enough that you should go and try to unseat that 1022 thats leading both classes in the rimfire match, but be advised, fliers count.

the op is reffering to stock rifles, and for that the 60 looks better.

Horsemany
July 28, 2009, 12:37 PM
Marlin-hands down.

FlyinBryan
July 28, 2009, 01:01 PM
lol, disregard my previous post. i just saw that your 5 shot 1 hole groups were at 100 yards!!!!

a stock marlin 60 will out shoot a custom lilja air gauged benchrest 1022 barrel!!!!!

incredible!!!

BUGUDY
July 28, 2009, 04:54 PM
Is there any truth in this, " the older 60's were better shooters".?

ArmedBear
July 28, 2009, 05:19 PM
Is there any truth in this, " the older 60's were better shooters".?

No. See my target above.

rangerruck's is an old one, mine is a new one.

ArmedBear
July 28, 2009, 05:27 PM
FlyinBryan, his targets are what they are. I doubt that any production .22 semiauto will outshoot an expensive custom build with top-notch parts like that.

The question I have, though, is why spend that money on a 10/22 instead of a real .22 rifle that will do better, still, if THAT'S what you want?

Some people just have to have the best 10/22 on the block. And others of us can only laugh at the notion.

Dollar for dollar, the Marlin 60 is the better rifle by far.

Price-independent? Well, there's no way to build a 60 like a 10/22, because the parts aren't even out there if you wanted to do it. If you want to build a 10/22 for the price of a custom Anschutz-based rifle, go ahead. The bolt gun will still shoot better.

If money's no object, I won't playing around with kids' toys so I can brag. Hell, I won't be doing anything so I can brag about it.

Now if someone shoots semiauto-specific matches and gets the "I want to win" bug, then all bets are off. The rifle can get expensive, and that's just how it is.

BUGUDY
July 28, 2009, 05:29 PM
I am looking for a Mod 60. I have been pondering a 22lr for awhile now, and couldn't make up my mind what I wanted, now I know.

gidaeon
July 28, 2009, 05:32 PM
Marlin!! Now it needs to be said the 10/22 has the potential to be 'better' or take all kinds of forms but that means $$$. I shot both and ended up going for used Marlin 60. I have bad luck with 10/22 factory mags :mad:

You want stock setup? get a 60.. preferably a used one for < 100 as already stated. You will not regret it. And then you can take what you saved and a little more and get a new whatever you want ;)

Disclaimer: buying used marlin rimfire's can prove addictive. (I am not yet wishing to resolve this.) Yes, you need a 99m1 someday.

fireman 9731
July 28, 2009, 05:56 PM
I have both... Both are 2008/09 production. I only use them for plinking so I cant say that one is more accurate than the other for what I do with them.

The sights are about the same, however, the trigger is much nicer on the Marlin, and the bolt hold open feature is handy too.

If I ever wanted to pimp one out, I would have to pick the Ruger simply because of the lack of accessories for the Marlin.

I kind of like the looks of the Ruger more, but the fit and finish is better on the Marlin.

The receiver is already grooved for a scope on the Marlin, but the Ruger usually comes with bases and screws. If that makes a difference to you.

Good after market mags for the Ruger are hard to come by sometimes.

I think either one will serve your purposes though.

FlyinBryan
July 28, 2009, 06:48 PM
from what ive seen in this thread, if the op gets a marlin 60, there is no ruger than will outshoot it even with hundreds of dollars thrown at it for match barrels, triggers, etc,,,,

i dont have a 60, i have a custom ruger, but if this is true, i think the answer is simple and i dont see how the op could possibly be dissapointed with one.

Dookie
July 28, 2009, 07:09 PM
My goodness, another 1022 vs. 60 thread.

I have yest to seen any targets put up that are significantly better than any factory 10/22's I have ever shot.

In factory form, both are utterly reliable, both are accurate enough, yet to see any real proof that the marlin shoots better enough to matter in the real world especially since neither can even be considered target grade. Both are great rifles with great histories.

The biggest difference is that on a Ruger, if something ever does break it can be fixed easy and quickly, no matter what broke. A marlin you are SOL as parts have to be special ordered and are a pain to put in.

If Ruger had ever made a tube fed semi auto, it would be very similar to the 60, tough, cheap, and fun.

There are no more $60.00 model 60's, even beat up versions are well over $100.00 now.

As for Ruger's plastic parts. So what? It kept them from jacking the prices because metal is not nearly as cheap as polymer. And Marlin uses a plastic trigger guard also.

ArmedBear
July 28, 2009, 07:18 PM
from what ive seen in this thread, if the op gets a marlin 60, there is no ruger than will outshoot it even with hundreds of dollars thrown at it for match barrels, triggers, etc,,,,

Never saw that in this thread.

The point is that a Ruger won't shoot as well, UNLESS you throw more money at it, and the OP wanted an out-of-box rifle.

Why you seem to find that to be a problem, I don't know.

Winston_Smith
July 28, 2009, 08:21 PM
The Marlin feels more like a real rifle.

Ruger has really started to cut some corners with quality and components. The best bang for your buck will be the marlin. The only thing Ruger has going for it is the detachable magazine (but at 10 rounds, the marlin wins capacity as well). TI mags are the only reliable hi-cap mags for the 10/22 and run 40$ for composite and 70$ Al.

If you really want a detachable mag, then take a look at the marlin 795.

I will not buy another new Ruger 10/22. I would rather build a clone from a non-Ruger receiver.

FlyinBryan
July 28, 2009, 08:58 PM
Never saw that in this thread.
hmm. you just missed it i suppose

The point is that a Ruger won't shoot as well, UNLESS you throw more money at it, and the OP wanted an out-of-box rifle
to be honest i completely agree with you.

Why you seem to find that to be a problem, I don't know.
the only thing ive really responded to in this thread is when the op has been informed that a box stock 60 will outshoot a full custom 1022.

if its safe for him to expect that then i suppose all is well.

handle02
July 28, 2009, 10:10 PM
I vote marlin 60.I've had mine since the early 90's and I couldn't tell you how many rounds have went down the tube and I can still hit a limb rat in the head at 30 yards easily!!They are easier to load,faster to load,more accurate,more reliable,and they are CHEAPER!!! Just a better overall gun IMO. Sorry all of you 1022 lover's keep spending them greenbacks and maybe oneday you'll have a rifle half as good as the model 60. :neener: P.S. I just picked up an old glenfield marlin last night for 50 bucks, gotta love that!

CZguy
July 28, 2009, 11:32 PM
There are no more $60.00 model 60's, even beat up versions are well over $100.00 now.

That must be a regional thing because I can find them around here marked $75.00 easily. It just takes a little bargaining to get it down to $60.00 out the door.

P.S. I just picked up an old glenfield marlin last night for 50 bucks, gotta love that!

Was that one of the ones with the squirrel on the stock? :cool:

handle02
July 28, 2009, 11:50 PM
Yes, it's the one with the squirrel on the stock.It's not perfect,but a model 60 for 50 bucks I couldn't pass it up.

jmr40
July 28, 2009, 11:53 PM
Those are some impressive groups from a stock Marlin semi-auto. For my uses I still like the Ruger better. I have a couple of old Marlin 60's around the house that gave up the ghost years ago. It would be cheaper to look for another pawnshop keeper than try to fix them, and I may just have to look into that.

My Rugers won't shoot that well, but my CZ will, and I have come to really like the CZ when I want to shoot little bitty groups. If I didn't own the CZ I would be more inclined to buy a Marlin. For me the CZ and Rugers fill very different roles. A Marlin, while a great rifle, is not as accurate as my CZ, nor as fun to plink with as the Ruger. I much prefer the detachable mags.

I like the shorter more compact size of the Ruger and I like the stock design on MY rifles much better than the Marlin. I do not have a Ruger with the standard carbine stock. If I had made my assessment of a Ruger with that stock I would never like them either. Of the five 10-22's that belong to me and my kids 3 have the longer Deluxe stock with checkering, 1 has a Hogue stock and the most recent one has the new factory synthetic stock. I really like the feel of the new synthetic. It is trimmer and seems to have a slightly longer LOP.

Other than the 1 Hogue stock all of mine are just as they came from the factory. I can make 12oz drink cans dance at 50 yards or make a kill shot on a Squirrel. If I want to hit dimes I shoot the CZ.

nulfisin
July 29, 2009, 12:36 AM
See what feels better in your hands. Then go with it. At this price point, you can't make a serious mistake -- even if you have to buy both over a period of time.:rolleyes:

AgentAdam
July 29, 2009, 12:51 AM
The used beat up marlins go for $100 around here too and i was about to give up on pawnshop deals since Obummer when i found a practically unfired Glenfield by Marlin model 60 with the little squirrels and fancy checkering on the stock for $99 otd and a Newhaven by Mossberg 600(500) for what i thought was a good deal at $199 compared to the beat up Walmart duck guns. Both where like new minus 30+ years of storage and handling from the mid 70's. I'm normally a 10/22 fan but they don't make them like this any more.I think both of there plastic trigger group models are no good anymore.

rangerruck
July 29, 2009, 01:00 PM
for one of the above dudes; the American Eagle ammo, shoots surprisingly well, and does so with a number of 22's, but it will give up the occasional flyer.
CCI stuff was pretty good across the board. But the real surprise was the Aguila , green box and red box. these were both very hi speed 22 rounds, (not hypers), and they were solid point, and the other was hollow point. They consistently could bang out small groups, with no flyers.
mod 60's also come in the Glenfield variants, with the animals or acorns pressed into the buttstocks; usually you find a squirrel and an acorn. there is also a bunny , a coyote, and a wolf, which is the toughest to find.
The most desirable mod 60 to get is made between 85 and 88'; again, these were the only model years that used a 22 inch bbl, had a 17 or 18 round feed tube, it goes almost all the way to the end of the bbl, and also had a last shot bolt hold open lever. Starting in 89' because of the New Jersey Rule- no semis could have over 14 round feed mechs. So marlin went to a 14 round tube, and the bbl started to change from 22 inches, to 19 , where it is now.
And if you wanna go old school, look for the 99 series; these came out just
1 year before the mod 60's but these were like full blown rifles; white line spacers, black walnut stocks, Italian made swivels- very good stuff.
They came as 99's, 99c, 989, 99m1, 99m2... like that.

akolleth
July 29, 2009, 01:04 PM
Just like everyone else has seen to say

Marlin if you out of the box results

Ruger if you want to be able to play with it like a tinkertoy (but capable with lots of $ of being more accurate)

My vote- My Marlin 60 I bought for $50 OTD at a gunshow. So very accurate and fun to shoot.

Deltaboy
July 29, 2009, 03:18 PM
Go for the 60. Now in my gun vault I have one that will take nearly any ruger to school It is a 512 Remington Sportsmaster with a Trigger job. When I was a young man in my 20's and my nerves were super steady I could out shoot Ruger boys all day with that Rifle. At 43 and a couple of Accidents later it would be a dead heat.

Bottom line is this get what you want for popping cans; The 60 will get her done for less money.

JRockman
August 8, 2009, 01:25 PM
I must say, this was a great discussion. Thank you all for contributing your thoughts. Definitely a great summary with thoughtful comments and relevant experience to justify opinions.

Bill B.
August 8, 2009, 02:59 PM
Nice shooting Ranger!

Nothing wrong with the shooting but there is so dang many holes in the target's it's hard to see how that M60 groups. Please post some 5 shot groups on one target at 100 yards. It ain't bragging if you can do it everytime!

medicdave
August 8, 2009, 03:17 PM
My first gun at age 5 was a marlin model 60 as described above with the 18rd magazine. It shot well for a long, long, long time. I replaced it two years ago at age 26 due to it finnally peaning the breach face enough it wouldn't reliably lock up after who knows how many millions of rounds.(We grew up on a farm and got paid our allowance in 22 shells.) That said when I went to replace it I wasn't impressed with the new marlin model 60 and bought a ruger 10/22 stainless rifle. It picked up where the Marlin left off, and does about 1/2 in at 50yds with cheap remington bulk pack, but will shoot 1/2 @100yds with wolf match target. Longest shot on game is a crow at 117 lasered yds within 1/2in of POA. Don't know if I'll get 21yrs of service from the ruger, but its doin well so far...Dave

DennyF
August 8, 2009, 03:54 PM
Have both. Shot a M60 many years ago that a bud lent to me for quite a long time. That one needed cleaned regularly, or it had feeding/extraction problems. So long ago, can't recall what I mostly shot in it back then, could've been the ammo?

In my experiences, the M60 is a tad more accurate out of the box. Have fired several of them over the years, but only own one now.

My oldest 10/22 was made in 1967 and has tens of thousands of rounds through it. Once ran it for several years with no cleaning other than the occasional patch down the bore, just to see how much "abuse" it could handle. It handled alot.

That one now has an $80 Green Mountain 18" bull barrel on it and a Fajen synthetic thumbhole stock and is very accurate. Won the stock at a banquet, so with the new bbl and the original cost of the gun, that's a $155 rifle. Have a newer "plain Jane" 10/22 that's stock and that one also shoots very well, cost $179 new.

Have a new M60 SS/laminate still in the box after about 10 years, also won at a banquet. Might shoot it some day? Personally, I prefer the 10/22 with its magazine, partially because of the aftermarkets goodies that one can buy, or not buy? Mostly because I don't much care for tube magazines.

Either is a good choice, neither will break the bank for a plinker. Can't use semis to hunt with here in PA, so plinkers they be.

Suwannee Tim
December 10, 2009, 09:12 PM
I have a 10-22 and it's just a fabulous gun. I did have to put a new barrel on it and a new trigger group. The stock was ugly so I replaced it. New bolt, firing pin, extractor, springs. But it's a Ruger. :D

CZguy
December 10, 2009, 09:20 PM
I have a 10-22 and it's just a fabulous gun. I did have to put a new barrel on it and a new trigger group. The stock was ugly so I replaced it. New bolt, firing pin, extractor, springs. But it's a Ruger.

Now I know what a dichotomy is. :D

ArmedBear
December 10, 2009, 10:01 PM
Soup from a Stone. The 10/22.:D

king2517
January 19, 2010, 08:43 PM
Ok Comparing a Marlin 60 to a Ruger 10-22 is like comparing a throw away lighter to a Zip O
when a Marlin Breaks it is Junk
When and IF a Ruger Breaks the parts are readily available all over the internet and there cheap to buy.

Out of the Box they shot the same
There is absolutely no way a Marlin 60 can out shot a Ruger 10-22 custom with a GM Match Grade Barrel.

The one thing i like about the Marlin 60 is the stock fits me comfortably the gun feels right but the gun is not as good as a Ruger

Col. Plink
January 20, 2010, 01:27 AM
I can speak from both sides of the fence, and why. Started with a 10/22. Really liked capacity with aftermarket 25-rounders that worked very well (just had to fit them in the magwell correctly). Accuracy was a let-down; didn't buy it to buy anything else for it but ammo either.

Got rid of it for what it cost, $220 (4/09) new at Sportsman's Paradise.

Found a Marlin 60 sometime later. These two events are linked because I sighted-in my nephews' Marlin 60 with a scope I gave them and was tickled pink with the accuracy. All this with a $12 BSA scope on clearance at WalMart! Had another scope from the closeout, found what was later identified to me as the long 19-rounder with bolt hold-open. I've found that the action is very easy to take out and easy to clean and replace if you have PIPE CLEANERS. One end with solvent, the other dry to remove the gunk, slap it in and get back to it!

PAPACHUCK
January 20, 2010, 07:38 AM
I bought a Marlin/Glenfield model 60, NIB, in 1980. It has had tens of thousands of rounds thru it. It is still more slightly more accurate than my 10/22 that I have over $550 invested in.

Buy a Marlin.

Davek1977
January 20, 2010, 08:05 AM
I own both rifles. Both shoot excellently. The 60 was inherited from my grandfather, who seemingly shot it very little. Its bone stock, aside from an old 4x Tasco scope I threw on it. It is capable of great accuracy at 50 yards. My wife, a new shooter, can easily put 3 rounds in a 1/2 in. @ 50 yards. I bought the Ruger KNOWING that the out of the box accuracy would likely disappoint me. It was "minute of popcan" at 50 yards, and not much more. I changed barrels (GM 18 in), stocks(Houge Overmolded), and replaced the trigger group with all Volquartsen parts. The gun legitimately shoots one hole groups at 50 yards. Out of the box, the Marlin is a cheaper, more accurate rifle. However, if one likes to tinker or wring out the absolute best accuracy his rifle is capable of producing, I favor the Ruger. When it comes time to shoot, the 10/22 gets grabbed for every range trip....the marlin, not so much. Its a good gun, but just doesn't compare favorably (IMO) to a Ruger set up the way one likes it.

oldfool
January 20, 2010, 08:09 AM
"Looking at the base models in either of these options...Under $200 for each.
Want to hit 40oz cans (perhaps bottles) at 50-100 yards"

I own neither, have shot several of each, watched many others shoot both
I have never yet seen a model 60 that would not consistently hit golf balls at 50-60 yards and 12 oz soda pop cans at 100 yards..

I have seen several 10/22s that could not consistently hit a 2 liter pop bottle at 50 yards

if you want to shoot, buy the Marlin
if you want to spend a lot of time, effort, and money on "turning it into what it ain't", buy a 10/22

PS
if you want to shoot dimes at 50 and nickles at 100, buy a bolt 17HMR... any bolt 17HMR... or pony up a couple grand for an Annie or Cooper 22

MAURICE
January 20, 2010, 08:24 AM
Marlin is more accurate out of the box. The Ruger handles better, IMO.
I own a Marlin. A couple of them, actually.

rust collector
January 20, 2010, 09:34 AM
I had trouble with the model 60 I bought through the mail in the mid 60s. Replaced buffer, firing pin, sold it. Never thought a tube mag was as safe as detachable type. Not easy to clean.

I have owned 10-22s picked up at pawn shops that were very accurate, and seen others that were not. I own one tarted-up model that has been fun to shoot, fun to work on, and overall a nice rimfire. My factory mags have always worked well with a wide variety of ammo. Power custom hammer and trigger works well.

If you drive a Chevy and take it to a service station for an oil change, you'll probably prefer the Marlin. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty on your small-block, and get a kick out of improving performance, the 10-22 will be more enjoyable.

m500'92
February 27, 2010, 11:53 AM
If you plan on putting $500+ into the 22 and want accuracy get the 10/22 and a new barrel at least, if you want just a plain shooter get the 60, mine shoots 1/2" groups at 50 yards with the iron sights and always reliable. Best semi-auto out there i'd say.

Al LaVodka
February 27, 2010, 12:40 PM
I prefer the Ruger for the money but there is something that made the 60 the most popular in the country and they are not just reasonably accurate out of the box, but, they are a nice feeling gun too. The Ruger is definately reliable and cool whilst the Marlin is more traditional and micro-grooves old school.
Al

hub
February 27, 2010, 01:05 PM
Ok Comparing a Marlin 60 to a Ruger 10-22 is like comparing a throw away lighter to a Zip O
When and IF a Ruger Breaks the parts are readily available all over the Internet and there cheap to buy.

Are you serious? That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Marlin has sold over eleven million model 60's and counting since 1960 and if you could not get replacement parts there would be junk 60's everywhere for nothing. You can get parts from any of the online stores, Numrick, Midway, gun-parts, Brownell's, ect. Not to mention, you can just call Marlin (800 544-8892) and get any parts you may need. The internal parts that can wear or cause problems in the 60 can be replaced very cheap as well, not that most of them would ever need it though.

ms6852
February 27, 2010, 01:06 PM
I own both and if money is an issue GO with the Marlin...it is more accurate out of the box. If money is not an issue go with the ruger and accessorize the heck out of it. Just remember that after a $1000 worth of accessories it is just an overaccessorized 10/22. But it is fun and addictive as hell.

grimjaw
February 27, 2010, 01:49 PM
What I've been able to glean from this old thread:

If Marlin manufactured to be as modular as the Ruger 10/22 and thus fit the same aftermarket parts from the same manufacturers, the Marlin 60 would still outshoot the Ruger 10/22.

Otherwise we aren't comparing apples to apples.

I'm not that hot after either manufacturer's current offerings considering the amount of plastic that goes into the trigger groups. I have an older Marlin 60 that shoots well enough for me to avoid sinking lots of cash into a different gun that should have shot that well in the first place. I tweak some of my motorcycles for performance with aftermarket parts, but a .22 shouldn't need it, IMHO.

m500'92
February 28, 2010, 06:29 PM
When and IF a Ruger Breaks the parts are readily available all over the Internet and there cheap to buy.

Ok well if you want to make that comparison then I agree in some ways, the throw aways take no maintanance whereas zippos are a pain in the ***. And personally I have never had a problem with a throw away as compared to my zippo that broke within a week. All I've had is problems with my rugers and zippos so I'll keep my bics and marlins.

And people don't even buy 1022s for the Ruger itself, they buy it for the reciever to build off. If it weren't for companies building parts for it, the 60 would be even more popular than the Ruger than it already is, that alone shows that the Marlin is better.

oneounceload
February 28, 2010, 06:43 PM
When a Ruger Breaks the parts are readily available all over the internet and there cheap to buy.

Fixed that for ya - Rugers break, Marlins don't as easily.

Rugers NEED all those aftermarket products to shoot like any other gun can do right out of the box.

I have owned both and much prefer the accuracy of the Marlin, along with its utter reliability

LeontheProfessional
February 28, 2010, 06:46 PM
I am a huge fan of both companies but as far as which .22 is better that is a tough one. The marlin has a better stock trigger than the Ruger but there are many companies that do trigger jobs for the 10/22. I think a major down side to the Marlin is it does not have detachable mags and there are not near as many after market parts. I would go with the 10/22 but that is just me.

I'm Kilroy
February 28, 2010, 06:58 PM
Marlin Model 60-More accurate out of the box.

Ruger 10/22-More accurate if you have lots of $$$$$$$$$$$ lying around.

dom1104
February 28, 2010, 09:31 PM
I agree.

the model 60 is a far better gun stock accuracy wise.

My Ruger is all tricked out, I love it. but its not really largely "Ruger" anymore.

Would I have it any other way? nope.

24" Running Boar barrel, Predator stock, all kinds of trigger mods, way overscoped, 6x tri-mags, etc etc.

Its my favorite target gun by a good margin.

PowerG
March 1, 2010, 12:32 AM
I have one of each, and will follow the crowd-dollar for dollar get the Marlin. Put a decent scope on it and keep it clean (as in every time you shoot it) and it will be very accurate, and will last many years.

gunsandreligion
March 1, 2010, 05:53 AM
I have two needs for 10/22 acssesory's, one is a folding butler creek stock for on the bach of a quad, the other is soI can look mall ninja.keep it clean (as in every time you shoot it) have fun.Fixed that for ya - Rugers break, Marlins don't as easily.show me a broken ruger.I'v seen broken marlin,savage,remchesterburg,cz,cricket,S&W,colt Ect... broken. never in my life have I owned, used, heard of, or seen a broken ruger.

CZguy
March 1, 2010, 06:36 AM
show me a broken ruger.I'v seen broken marlin,savage,remchesterburg,cz,cricket,S&W,colt Ect... broken. never in my life have I owned, used, heard of, or seen a broken ruger.

I'm just not sure how to respond to that. It seems just a bit over the top. :scrutiny:

dom1104
March 1, 2010, 08:35 AM
I have never seen a "Broken" ruger.

Extraction problems, and such like that sure, but actually broken as in throw it away? nope.

Deltaboy
March 1, 2010, 08:49 AM
I had both, I still have a Marlin. Shoot both and buy the one YOU like.

m500'92
March 1, 2010, 12:31 PM
show me a broken ruger.I'v seen broken marlin,savage,remchesterburg,cz,cricket,S&W,colt Ect... broken. never in my life have I owned, used, heard of, or seen a broken ruger.

Okay well I've seen at least 5 or 10 out of 15 Rugers I used to have be broken right out of the box (only including the ones that actually had to go back to the factory). Ruger has the worst quality control I have ever seen. I will also never use the rotary magazine again, they are stupid pieces of plastic trash, personally I'd rather have a clip that sticks out, you get a slimmer gun overall as well. Now we have 3 out of those original 15 Rugers so all is good.

dom1104
March 1, 2010, 12:51 PM
wow. M500'92 that is 100% the opposite of my experiance.

I would rate the ruger rotary magazine up there with one of the best most reliable magazine designs ever.

My ruger is about 10 years old, all aluminum, maybe the newer rugers have major issues. I have 12 Ruger BX1 mags, and have never had issues, ever. every other mag has given me issues at one point or another tho.

Yikes.

Kurt_D
March 1, 2010, 01:24 PM
I'll add my experience:

1) yes my Mod 60 seemed more accurate than my friend's stock 10/22, but I'm all most 100% sure it was more shooter related than gun. I now have a 10/22 rifle (20" barrel, stock) that is at least equal to my former mod 60.

2) both my mod 60 and dad's were/are jam-o-matics. I don't care if it can put 10 rounds throught the same hole at 100 yards, if you can't shoot more than 1-2 rounds without a jam it's a POS. No matter how clean it is, after 5-10 rounds it's dirty enough to start jamming consisitantly. Don't give me "well this one was made back when, blah blah blah," mine was bought in `96 and my dad's is older than me. I've tried every type of ammo I can get my hands on, they jam with it all. My 10/22, stock, only had 1 type of ammo jam and that was Winchester bulk pack, yes I replaced the extractor and haven't found anything it won't eat. It can be picky with ammo in reguards to accuracy, but that's the name of the game in .22 LR.

3) Plastic parts? You want to bash a Ruger 10/22 for using plastic parts here recently in the FCG when Marlin has been doing it with the mod 60 for 30 years??? Yes my Dad's has plastic parts in the FCG, mine not only had that but the trigger guard was plastic as well.

4) It's funny how everyone says their mod 60 hardly ever jams, I haven't seen one yet make it through 1 50 round box of anything and not jam. My favorite is the guys spraying Rem oil or WD40 into the action to try to get one to run. Works for about 5-10 shots then they're back spraying it down because of a failure to feed/extract/eject/other random malfunction. Mean while the 10/22 keeps on keeping on, burning through a 500 round brick with the occasional failure to fire from a round that has to be recycled to make it go boom.

CZguy
March 1, 2010, 01:29 PM
Extraction problems, and such like that sure, but actually broken as in throw it away? nope.

I've never seen any brand of rifle broken to the point that they need to be thrown away. I'm sure they exist, but I've never personally seen one.

4) It's funny how everyone says their mod 60 hardly ever jams, I haven't seen one yet make it through 1 50 round box of anything and not jam. My favorite is the guys spraying Rem oil or WD40 into the action to try to get one to run. Works for about 5-10 shots then they're back spraying it down because of a failure to feed/extract/eject/other random malfunction. Mean while the 10/22 keeps on keeping on, burning through a 500 round brick with the occasional failure to fire from a round that has to be recycled to make it go boom.

If you run a search of this forum you will find that this subject comes up every month or so. They usually start out with people making the normal valid points, but unfortunately can degenerate down to a purely emotional response. :uhoh:

All brands of semi auto .22s have the occasional rifle that won't run right. The thing to do is not to condemn it but fix it. Go to Rimfire Central for more info.

I have 11 different .22s, and there is both a Model 60 and a 10/22 represented. They both run flawlessly.

rogertc1
March 1, 2010, 01:36 PM
Buy a 10/22 for about $250 at Walmart. Then you can spend about a grand replacing the stock, barrel and trigger group. Then you have a accurate .22. Or you can buy a marlin 60 for around $250 and it will be as accurate as the $1250 race gun you made. Not as cool however and it won't impress the girls at the range.:o

Water-Man
March 1, 2010, 02:02 PM
Out of the box, the model 60!

dom1104
March 1, 2010, 02:33 PM
just to misinfomation isnt being spread, you dont have to spend anywhere NEAR a grand for an accurate ruger.

LeontheProfessional
March 1, 2010, 03:10 PM
Buy a 10/22 for about $250 at Walmart. Then you can spend about a grand replacing the stock, barrel and trigger group. Then you have a accurate .22. Or you can buy a marlin 60 for around $250 and it will be as accurate as the $1250 race gun you made. Not as cool however and it won't impress the girls at the range.:o
That is ridiculous. Ruger makes plenty of accurate bull barrel models that cost under 500 dollars much less 1000.

dom1104
March 1, 2010, 03:45 PM
My GM barrel cost me $125 bucks. and a trigger job is like $25. I dont know where people are getting these $1000 dollar figures.

And my rifle shoots excellently.

(edit: come to think of it, I sold my old barrel, so I think that barrel only cost me about $80.)

a far cry from $1000

FenderTK421
March 1, 2010, 03:47 PM
10/22 for me. Several, in fact.

kiwihunta
March 1, 2010, 04:36 PM
I own a 10/22,and i have in the past owned a couple of Marlins......the Marlin will shoot better ,its the micro grooved barrel......guns should be cleaned regulary so that shouldnt be an issue.....hitting your target is .The more accurate a rifle the more fun it is !!!.

gunsandreligion
March 1, 2010, 05:31 PM
I've never seen any brand of rifle broken to the point that they need to be thrown away. I'm sure they exist, but I've never personally seen one.same with the ruger, I just never have heard a beleiveble story or had seen one wihch required parts replacement or a gunsmith and would really like evidence.

CZguy
March 1, 2010, 06:07 PM
same with the ruger, I just never have heard a beleiveble story or had seen one wihch required parts replacement or a gunsmith and would really like evidence.

I was referring to Ruger also. To quote myself.

I've never seen any brand of rifle broken to the point that they need to be thrown away. I'm sure they exist, but I've never personally seen one.

Big Bill
March 1, 2010, 06:24 PM
This is a dumb argument. I own both. In fact I own 3 marlin rimfires, two Ruger 10-22s, and a Henry H001. Each has it's unique strengths. If you like a tube fed rifle, then Marlin is a strong contender. If you like a rifle that is not only accurate but also very easily modified and upgraded, then a Ruger 10/22 is most likely your choice.

These days, IMHO, it's dumb not to own both. Why not have all the capabilities of both rifles?

Jaybird78
March 1, 2010, 06:25 PM
I have both, and both are fun. Marlin 60 is a used that I bought for $80 (missing rear sight, missing rear trigger guard screw, approx 2500 rounds of bulk ammo). I think I got one hell of a deal.

My Ruger 10/22 was purchased new by me when I was 18 yrs old. It is no longer in stock condition. I have another $200 dollars wrapped up in scope, barrel and stock.

The Ruger is easier to take down and customize.
The Marlin has the microgroove barrel as stock.

They are both great guns. I don't think you can go wrong with either in my opinion.
HOWEVER, have you looked at the Henry lever actions, the Frontier H001T to be exact.

Col. Plink
March 1, 2010, 07:43 PM
In comparing Marlin 60's with each other, my nephew's runs better than mine in terms of not jamming (though it is newer and mine is about 20 yrs old but very light use). I like the fact that the action is easily removed as an entire group: a CLP blast and a once-over with a pipecleaner and it's back to plinkin'! I can go a long way without having to do so, but his can go through a brick of Remi goldens without a hiccup.

I went through hundreds of CCI minimags one day without issue, getting VERY reliable accuracy at 100 yds on clay targets. Best day plinkin in a great while! By comparison the 10/22 I had (and sold) cycled magnificently but was frustratingly innacurate even at 50 yds regardless of ammo (but liked Remi Thunderbolts best; go figure).

ArmedBear
March 1, 2010, 07:58 PM
If you want a rifle that you can buy, clean and shoot, the Marlin 60 is the one. Mine now has a scope and swivel studs, and it's complete. The standard stock is stained one color, but it's laminate. The rifle is surprisingly accurate, and mine is very reliable -- and I'm not tolerant of guns that don't work, even .22s. It's my all-purpose .22 hunting rifle, and a pleasure to use.

If you want a rifle on which to learn about gunsmithing and spend a bunch of money over time, the 10/22 is the one to get. I sold mine. As it came, it wasn't something I could tolerate:) (see above). If I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars more than the purchase price of the 10/22 to make it satisfactory, I'd much rather buy a nicer gun to begin with -- and that's what I did, starting with the money from the sale. YMMV

rogertc1
March 2, 2010, 12:19 PM
http://www.1022racerifle.com/images/product/large/custom-gun-12.jpg

I said you can spend $1000 easily in 10/22 after market stuff. Check out this link...

http://www.1022racerifle.com/

Even if you only spend $500 for race parts added to the $250 for the 10/22 that is $750
Which is a far cry from a Model 60 at $250 when it comes to accuracy per $$ spent.

JMO
I do have both guns myself. Every one should. My race 10/22 does impress the girls at the range but not so on the 60. Appearance is everything?

ArmedBear
March 2, 2010, 12:28 PM
I fail to see why one would spend Anschutz money on a 10/22 unless he/she were involved in serious competition that requires a semiauto. I'd take the Anschutz, thank you.

That said, I have about $950 total (spent incrementally) in a Mark II Target pistol, including multiple optics options, aftermarket parts and custom 'smithing. I can see getting into that kind of money for a competition gun. It just happens.:)

CZguy
March 2, 2010, 02:15 PM
Which is a far cry from a Model 60 at $250 when it comes to accuracy per $$ spent.

I rescued my model 60 from a pawn shop for $60.00 out the door. It cleaned up just fine. There's just no need to buy a new one when there are so many good used ones available.

ArmedBear
March 2, 2010, 02:20 PM
There's just no need to buy a new one when there are so many good used ones available.

It depends. Too many sellers have wanted too much, and the current laminate stock is functionally superior to some of the old ones. For <$150 new, it's hard to go way wrong either way.

But there's one really good reason to go with a new one: the 60 DLX 50th Anniversary Edition with a walnut stock, a gold-plated steel trigger, nice sights and studs.

Big Bill
March 2, 2010, 04:13 PM
That bolt spring in the marlin 60 is a bear to get back in without kinking it. My 10/22s are just as accurate as my Marlins. I like both brands.

ArmedBear
March 2, 2010, 04:37 PM
That bolt spring in the marlin 60 is a bear to get back in without kinking it.

I agree, though if you compress it into the bolt before putting the bolt in, it's not impossible.

I had as much "fun" wrestling with the 10/22.

My favorite .22 semiauto for cleaning is, hands down and 6 ways from Sunday, a .22LR AR upper. No spring wrestling AT ALL! They're a few pennies more expensive than a Marlin 60, though, and at least as much as a 10/22 costs once you have it working right.

Snowdog
March 2, 2010, 04:48 PM
I usually don't respond to necro-threads, but as I've been using the same Marlin model 60 for about 15 years with around ten bricks of various types of ammunition put through it, I can say with absolute certainty that the Model 60 can stand up to 10,000 rounds of ammunition without falling apart.

I did have the "shavings issue" within the first brick and it was concerning, but I haven't seen any in the past decade. My Marlin seems just as accurate as it was out of the box and no less reliable. Unless there's an issue with the ammunition, I can expect all 14 shots in my Marlin model 60 to load, fire and eject each cartridge perfectly (and accurately).

I know of plenty of others who have Marlin 60s who haven't had any problems, so I must say they are fine guns and exemplify value.

ArmedBear
March 2, 2010, 04:59 PM
If you close the bolt before loading the magazine, it's 15, not 14.:)

CZguy
March 2, 2010, 05:01 PM
I usually don't respond to necro-threads,

What is the meaning of that term?

ArmedBear
March 2, 2010, 05:03 PM
There's an unwritten rule that, if a thread isn't brand new, you're supposed to start a whole new thread to discuss the same old crap all over again.

...except, of course, for certain threads that go on forever and nobody complains...

Which ones should be left for dead and duplicated, and which ones should keep on going? Hell if I know what the criteria are.

UpTheIrons
March 2, 2010, 05:20 PM
I'll add my experience:

4) It's funny how everyone says their mod 60 hardly ever jams, I haven't seen one yet make it through 1 50 round box of anything and not jam.

Granted, I "only" have 400 rounds through my brand-spankin'-new Model 60, but I haven't had a problem yet. No FTF, no FTE, no double feeds - nothing. Fill magazine, cycle the action, pull trigger 15 times, repeat. It is almost boringly consistent. And this is using Federal bulk, Winchester bulk, and CCI Mini-Mags.

Sure, different ammo groups differently, and I'm still trying to find the 'best' ammo for my gun, but your assertion borders on the ludicrous. Or are we all liars? :eek:

I have shot both, BTW. Buy the gun you like, and you, too, can complain about the competition.

CZguy
March 2, 2010, 05:23 PM
If you close the bolt before loading the magazine, it's 15, not 14.

Mine was made in 1984 and has the bolt hold open lever. It holds 18. :cool: (or 19)

Snowdog
March 2, 2010, 05:23 PM
There's an unwritten rule that, if a thread isn't brand new, you're supposed to start a whole new thread to discuss the same old crap all over again.

Correct. I usually only contribute to a thread to (or attempt to) answer the original question or to answer a direct question to me. However, if I read a generalization that I believe to be incorrect, such as Model 60s self destructing after 500 rounds, I must pipe up. Mine has seen several times that and works perfectly fine.
For most .22 rifles, 500 rounds is just the beginning.

Big Bill
March 2, 2010, 06:33 PM
I love Marlin's customer service. They sent me a new recoil spring without any arguments. But, Ruger has also been great with their customer service. I sent back an SP101 in which the cylinder been bored incorrectly. They fixed it and sent it right out. The entire process took only four weeks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin Model 60 vs Ruger 10/22?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!