Do you give you guns pet names?

PDA

TOTC
July 28, 2009, 10:16 AM
I wrote a short piece on my blog about last Sunday at the range. I included this quote I had found that morning.

Don't get too hung up on accessories. Simple is good. The best thing you can put on any firearm is wear. I had an instructor once say "Bond with your weapon until it wags it's barrel when it sees you coming."

Now, you're probably wondering what this has to do with the price of tea in China. Well, after sending my CZ in for service, when I got it back I made a comment that "I'm gonna love him, hug him, pet him and squeeze him and call him George."

It comes from an old Bugs Bunny cartoon. I dearly love Bugs Bunny. The cartoon was I believe secretly written for adults. So I named my CZ P-07 "George"

Stchman calls me last night and starts psychoanalyzing me for naming my pistol and for my blog posting comparing my guns to dogs and their personalities. He is of the opinion that a gun is an inanimate object and a tool. That is fine if he wants to hold that belief.

I pointed out to him that Marines name their rifles. I forgot to point out that Colonel Cooper had "Baby."

I did point out that in WWII, crews named their bombers.

So, to my original question, do you name your gun(s)? And do you impart a personality on them?

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you give you guns pet names?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fumbler
July 28, 2009, 10:22 AM
No. They are inanimate objects.

Shear_stress
July 28, 2009, 10:25 AM
Not me, either. I like my stuff a lot, but I don't attribute human or animal traits to it.

It's a free country, though. If you want to name your guns, cars, room deodorizer, etc. I don't have a problem with it.

chriske
July 28, 2009, 10:31 AM
All my guns already had names (High Power, Blackhawk,....) or designation numbers, (model 15, 28, 75...)which, as far as guns are concerned, serve the same purpose, before I even owned them.

Joe Demko
July 28, 2009, 10:52 AM
No. If I were going to do such a thing, though, I'd do it ironically and go with over-the-top fantasy novel style names.

CoRoMo
July 28, 2009, 10:57 AM
once

Deus Machina
July 28, 2009, 10:59 AM
I've named a few objects, in mostly taunting, often ironic names

Named the temperamental lift at the old mechanic job.

My Mosin Nagant is Ivan. My buddy's 91/30 is Ivan. My other friend's 91/30 is Natascha, but His M44 is also Ivan.

youngda9
July 28, 2009, 11:00 AM
"I'm gonna love him, hug him, pet him and squeeze him and call him George."

And then post this on the internet...

scottaschultz
July 28, 2009, 11:16 AM
Depending on what kind of day I am having, I have been known to call some of my guns "DAMMIT!

Scott

Owens
July 28, 2009, 11:25 AM
Wasn't it Buffalo Bill that named his rifle "Lucretia Borgia" ?

Pistol Toter
July 28, 2009, 11:28 AM
Yep.
My SP101 is Miss Piggy.
My Glock 21 Big Bore .45ACP is Kathi; which coincidentally is my big mouth, anitgun sister-in-law's name. Go Figure!:D

John E.
July 28, 2009, 11:31 AM
My wife calls her AK-47 "Ashley Kate".

longdayjake
July 28, 2009, 11:31 AM
sure I named my m1 garand my "M1" and my ar15 my "AR" Trust me they are said with as much love as any pet name out there.

TOTC
July 28, 2009, 11:38 AM
Yep, I like Bugs Bunny. I freely admit to eccentricity and I definitely march to the beat of a different drummer. Can you admit to your own vices in public? :D

Bullethead67
July 28, 2009, 11:44 AM
Not my guns but I did name my crutches Victor and Timothy.

Justin
July 28, 2009, 11:45 AM
Nope.

deadin
July 28, 2009, 11:54 AM
I outgrew that years ago.:evil:

DHJenkins
July 28, 2009, 11:57 AM
Nope. I thought about it, but they've already got names stamped on them.

tdowell
July 28, 2009, 12:09 PM
Of course, even if you build 2 weapons that're identical, they always end up being unique in some way. My AR's are "sARa" and "Amber Rose", and my Taurus is "Bull". They seem to get treated better when they have a name, thats why the Marines do it.

Flame Red
July 28, 2009, 12:37 PM
My 50 BMG is know as "Dr. Death" and my AR-15 is "Ole Trusty".

Mags
July 28, 2009, 12:39 PM
No they are tools, do you have a nick name for your cordless drill?

mrcooper
July 28, 2009, 12:56 PM
YES, My 54 cal blk powder rifle is (OLD HORSE FEATHERS)

DeepLiquid
July 28, 2009, 01:07 PM
I've only named one, my grandads old S&W .38..he wore her as a duty weapon in the 40's and I wore her a duty weapon in the early 80's...I call her "good girl". :)

Tim the student
July 28, 2009, 01:47 PM
Nope. I also don't name my hammers, nor my Xbox controllers.

Blackbeard
July 28, 2009, 02:07 PM
No. They are inanimate objects.

So are ships, but they have names.

travellingJeff
July 28, 2009, 02:08 PM
No, for the most part.

However, I did name my M1 Garand "Dorothy". Shes not inanimate, shes a piece of living history.

tJ

Joe Demko
July 28, 2009, 02:24 PM
Ships have names partly out of tradition and partly to differentiate them from each other. In western tradition, weapons have not routinely been named; especially when we are talking about guns. Those few weapons that did have names tended to belong to folk heroes like King Arthur or Roland in the age of blades. Guns with names likewise belonged primarily to heroes who became near mythical in the re-tellings of their exploits.
My take? Become a hero and let the singers of your song name your weapons. When you do it, it comes off as doofy; kind of like when you try to give yourself a cool nickname.

Leanwolf
July 28, 2009, 02:28 PM
"Do you give you guns pet names?"

No.

L.W.

qajaq59
July 28, 2009, 02:36 PM
Sure my guns have names.....Such as The Savage, The Remington, The Winchester, etc.

Just pulling your leg. I have no problem with anyone naming his gun or anything else he happens to like. But then I'm old, so I don't care enough to let much bother me anyway. ha ha ha

ezypikns
July 28, 2009, 02:38 PM
I have owned a few firearms that disappointed me. FTF's mainly. Maybe some other malfunctions.

But I'd hardly say that the names I called them were "pet" names.

Restorer
July 28, 2009, 02:39 PM
Not pet names per se. If my kids and I are talking about our carry guns in front of people who don't want to know about them or don't have any business knowing about them, we use code names. I ask my daughter if she is with her boyfriend or the twins. Depending on her answer I know if she is carrying the Walther (boyfriend) or the twins (S&W MP 40c). My son and I carry CZ 75D PCRs, aka CeaZar and CZuzy. We just drop the names into a conversation to confirm status.
All of our other weapons only go by manufacturers' names except the Mossberg 500 Tactical. Its name is Trump (as is trump card, not the orange haired dude.)

AirplaneDoc
July 28, 2009, 03:21 PM
Nope, I don't live in the movie Full Metal jacket

zoom6zoom
July 28, 2009, 06:52 PM
Nah, that would be crazy.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ixKX37v-eyo/SFD7XlUpwkI/AAAAAAAAAFM/s8ep7FztEBE/s320/jayne%2Bcobb.jpg

searcher451
July 28, 2009, 07:58 PM
The bigger question is whether I give my pets gun names, and I've been known to do that on occasion. I had a cat named Ruger once upon a time. :)

longbeard48
July 28, 2009, 09:01 PM
Only my 11-87 turkey gun, "The Fat Lady," 'cause when she sings it's all over!

Big Daddy Grim
July 28, 2009, 09:07 PM
Named my truck and I named my two dogs after guns so I guess I am weird sadly Smith and Wesson are no longer with me. New dogs name is Bear so I am getting better.

The Lone Haranguer
July 28, 2009, 09:10 PM
I generally don't anthropomorphize guns or other inanimate objects. :p

jordan1948
July 28, 2009, 09:27 PM
do you have a nick name for your cordless drill? I named mine Old Faithful since the battery is always charged for some reason.

I haven't named any of my guns though, not because I don't want to or thinks it's stupid, most of mine don't have any distinguishing qualities to qualify for a name.

Jim Watson
July 28, 2009, 09:32 PM
Not routinely, but I could not resist "FrankeNine" for the gun built literally out of the scrap box.

Working Man
July 28, 2009, 09:35 PM
When I was a kid I named my first car Old Blue (blue 72 Duster) and my bike 79 KZ400 (Akira)
but to be honest in regards to my firearms the only one that I named was my BFR .45-70 (Gigi)
a small play on GG (god's gun) and the fact that it is much easier to shoot than one may think
but it is still very powerful.

smktr8
July 28, 2009, 09:48 PM
other that my handguns came with names on the box Smith&Wesson and GLOCK. so I figure if I rename them they wont listen.

doc2rn
July 28, 2009, 09:58 PM
my girlfriend calls my Sig 232 "bitty baby" when she wants to know if I have it. also causes me to focus in on what she is looking at. Couple of times I have left it with her in the car while I addressed the situation. Sometimes I wonder why she wont just CCW.

flyboy1788
July 28, 2009, 10:03 PM
No, Ive thought about it but thats too many names to think up.

esq_stu
July 28, 2009, 10:16 PM
My son-in-law in the IDF calls his M16 Gunther.

cchris
July 28, 2009, 10:29 PM
If for some reason I ever own a pink gun, I'm calling it "Priscilla".

offroaddiver
July 29, 2009, 12:05 AM
I was accused of having an assault rifle when it was my 22 bolt action so it's the "tactical 22" There is "grandpa's shotgun" and "dad's leveraction, 22, and shotgun". I did jokingly refer to my o/u as my "boomstick".

I do know people that have every gun named and even stitched the names into gun socks. I also know people who will never give names to animals, cause they aren't human.

LJH
July 29, 2009, 12:27 AM
I don’t really name them, sort of nickname them. It makes describing what firearm I would like to get out much easier. Examples are The Deer Rifle, The Pig Killer, and the only problem with this is anything with a tax stamp is referred to as A Giggle Maker. But it works for me.

Hardtarget
July 29, 2009, 12:35 AM
I don't...but my wife did name one of my guns.

I have a folder with info about my M1 Garand. She was going through some stuff, handed me the M1 folder and asked...ready?..."who is Mr. Garrard?" and what is all this? :D

So, the M1 is the only gun with a name in my safe...and its not my fault.

Mark

taliv
July 29, 2009, 12:36 AM
no, but i give my pets gun names

edit: and coronach's rifle has by far the best name evar

maniak
July 29, 2009, 12:39 AM
I give them names.
My Blackhawk is "Cowboy Bob;" my Walther PPS is "Automatic Slim" (from the song, "Wing Dang Doodle"); and the SP101 is "Little Richard."
But I find I don't call them by their names much. I don't think they'd come.

Davo
July 29, 2009, 12:41 AM
My home defense shotgun...a Winchester 1300 defender goes by the name Sunshine.

tdowell
July 29, 2009, 01:51 AM
Yes, he's digger

tdowell
July 29, 2009, 01:54 AM
Nope, I don't live in the movie Full Metal jacket
Uh, Marines actually DO Name their rifles, the movie didn't make that up. SO, tell it to a jar head!

tdowell
July 29, 2009, 01:57 AM
Named my truck and I named my two dogs after guns so I guess I am weird sadly Smith and Wesson are no longer with me. New dogs name is Bear so I am getting better.
You went from naming them after guns to naming them after ammo?? Hows that better??

ChCx2744
July 29, 2009, 02:06 AM
I've been known to call my guns various names....such as the infamous Pulp Fiction quote "Bad F-other M-ucker"

Tim the student
July 29, 2009, 02:29 AM
Yes, he's digger

Does your shovel ever get confused?

fishinfoo
July 29, 2009, 03:05 AM
I don't believe that guns are tools. You use tools to fix things on your car and around the house. People buy guns as hobbies, not tools. So would you not name your hunting dogs or sheep dogs? Because they are used as tools, so even though you use your dogs as tools you still name them. People also name there boats, cars, and lots of other things too. So I like giving some of my guns proper names like my pump-action 45lc named "lightning"

BHP FAN
July 29, 2009, 03:08 AM
I call mine ''snookems''...:rolleyes:

JohnnyOrygun
July 29, 2009, 03:51 AM
Ok, ok, ok, you caught me... I like Scooby Do, I don't think my kids have caught on yet...

I don't give my guns names, but I do believe each has a "personality" to it, some are "fun", "ol' reliable", Dad's old gun, and etc.
JohnnyOrygun

JohnnyOrygun
July 29, 2009, 03:53 AM
Duplicate gremlin strikes again

zombienerd
July 29, 2009, 04:18 AM
I haven't named any of my guns... Not that I wouldn't, but I just don't think any of them have gained a "personality" enough to warrant one.

I do name my cars, and I do talk to my cars when they're misbehaving, call me crazy, but none of them have ever left me stranded. Then again, all the cars I've owned have been used, and all of them have had a "personality" (read: quirks that make them unique).

I usually call my guns by the manufacturer's name.. The Ruger, The Bersa, The Marlin, the Springfield, etc... As my collection grows, I may have to switch to models, or give them nicknames.

NG VI
July 29, 2009, 10:27 AM
Nope

Sav .250
July 29, 2009, 10:29 AM
Just call-um by caliber. The 06. The 43 (243) etc.

TOTC
July 29, 2009, 11:33 AM
I call mine ''snookems''...

That is just awesome!! I love it. May I ask, what exactly is snookems?

7X57chilmau
July 29, 2009, 12:05 PM
My 1895 Mauser goes by Herr Mauser. That is all.

J

travellingJeff
July 29, 2009, 01:47 PM
Davo...
My home defense shotgun...a Winchester 1300 defender goes by the name Sunshine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eivZd4j5MBs

:-)

Sunshine.... on my shoulder.... makes me happy....

ArmedBear
July 29, 2009, 01:52 PM
Pet names?

Like Fido and Fluffy?

No, not really.

Bluewoodrock
July 29, 2009, 02:09 PM
My wife and I jokingly call my stainless security six "sweetness" ( it's a Colbert report thing)

I picked up a SR9 and told her it's name was "semi-sweet"

The rest don't have names, and the real shame was that tragic boating accident when I lost them all:(

Castrolr1
July 29, 2009, 03:49 PM
there was a cartoon i watched as a kid.. there was a semi robot horse with a huge gun he called Sara Jane.. it stuck with me and i call my S.P.A.S. 12ga that

BHP FAN
July 29, 2009, 05:02 PM
''Quote:
I call mine ''snookems''...

That is just awesome!! I love it. May I ask, what exactly is snookems? ''

whichever one I am with at the time,that way I don't mess up and use the wrong name...seriously though,I really DO have one called ''Barky'',which would be my .223 short barreled handi-rifle.Lately my .308 Gibbs ''Quest'' extreme survival rifle has been called ''Barky'',also.With the cone shaped compensator on that thing it lives up to the name.It's just like a megaphone....

Erik M
July 29, 2009, 05:46 PM
Ive been known to quote duke nukem while at the range with the Mossy 500. Boomstick seems appropriate.

WTBguns10kOK
July 30, 2009, 03:34 AM
Every gun I own is known as "The Wounder." Just always seems to take me two or more shots for everything.

Nematocyst
July 30, 2009, 04:10 AM
Not pet names, but I use names.

Marlin 336 is "30".
Marlin 39 is "20".
(Those two may change soon; I'm having both cut and crowned.)
SW 642 is "lil mule".
SW 65 is "Batman".

Why? Why not?
They may be inanimate objects,
but I'm attached to each one, its idiosyncrasies.

I name my trucks, too.

Mr.510
July 30, 2009, 06:09 AM
I've only gone so far as to use code names in public for some of my guns from time to time. It used to be that if my wife said "Where's Carl?" it meant she'd noticed a potential BG and she wanted to know if I had my Walther. She has since learned that I'm *always* armed. Now she calls potential BGs by clock location, like fighter pilots do. (She's a keeper!) :)

If I meet my shooting friends at a (crowded Seattle) Starbucks on the way to the range and somebody asks "Watcha bring?" I might say "Ivan" referring to my AK.

rocky branch
July 30, 2009, 07:32 AM
How does one determine the sex of a firearm?

DeepLiquid
July 30, 2009, 08:59 AM

You look under the trigger housing. :p

CajunBass
July 30, 2009, 09:09 AM
Nope. I've named a few boats..couple of kids...a dog or cat...but no guns.

Aaron12
July 30, 2009, 09:28 AM
only one, it's called the barkin` boomstick.

benjammin
July 30, 2009, 06:27 PM
I've only named two of my firearms. My Glock 21 I refer to as "Gladys" copied from the character Marvin from the movie "Sin City", and my Browning BPS riot gun I call "Mr. Thundermaker" used by the Gary Busey Character in the Chris Farley movie "Black Sheep". This way if I tell the wife to go get Gladys, she knows something is up, and I like the quote "Mr. Thundermaker here is gonna start barking fire".

federalfarmer
July 31, 2009, 12:40 AM
No. :fire:

TheProf
July 31, 2009, 06:26 AM
My wife sometimes says, "honey, did you bring your friends along"? ...meaning do you have your gun with you.

SCKimberFan
July 31, 2009, 05:12 PM
No, I just know mine by their initials: CZ & STI. :D

buck460XVR
July 31, 2009, 05:48 PM
The first year I hunted deer, I hunted with a Model 97 pump shotgun. Up till then it was my mom's deer gun, but she had shot so many holes in the ground tryin' to put the gun on safe after loading it, my dad broke down and bought her a $25 surplus M1917. Ma only hunted deer for a coupla years after that, but took several deer with her new gun she called "Big Bertha". It's been 40 some years since then, I've carved a new stock for it, cut and recrowned the barrel and added first hunting sights, then a good scope to it. Ma's been gone for almost twenty years now, but that ol' ought six will always be "Big Bertha".

Col. Plink
July 31, 2009, 06:29 PM
Interesting thread, TOTC! In fact, I'm a big fan of those old Merrie Melodies cartoons (in fact I'm listening to one off youtube right now no kidding; the one with Chester, Spike, Sylvester and the escaped panther). I know the 'George' you speak of; in fact, I had a barbeque pit I called George for that reason. It was a gift that I hauled all the way to Missouri from Texas so it earned it. That cartoon is based on Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men, btw (short enough to be a great read on the can). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OogLnq0tkOI&feature=related

I have a Garand with a name, almost for the same reason I named George. I figure anything you're willing to haul halfway across the country, or anything you're willing to haul yourself halfway across the country to get, deserves a name. I recently drove from Texas all night to go to the South CMP to get a Springfield Garand, and it had so much character and toughness it just had to be Walt: Clint Eastwood's character from Grand Torino, who pulls a Garand on some gangbangers.

I thought I might call my CZ-52 'Prissy' if I ever have the need. It's small and dainty compared to my XD45T, and is in pristine condition.

A buddy has a Mosin he calls 'the Komrade,' and a 'boomstick' shotgun (nothing terribly original there). He named another friend's ancient 20-guage breach-loading single-action 'grandma's broom,' though.

I have another rifle with a name, but it had it before I got to it. It's a Yugoslavian SKS M59 (the old kind, no gas tube switch or grenade launcher) that was used in the 90's conflict and has the name 'Dano' scratched into it. Dano rides again after a refinishing; I decided to bring out the carvings and the dings/discolorations to highlight its character. I plan to post some pics as soon as I'm satisfied with the last coat.

LibShooter
July 31, 2009, 06:41 PM
My wife named my (her?)... our Stevens 311 12 Ga. "Bessy."

I call my Walther P22 "L'il Jimmy" because it looks a little like the P99 James Bond used in the movie that came out the same week L'il Jimmy came home with me.

I sometimes call an M1 Carbine "Red." I don't remember why.

The rest of the guns in the safe haven't let us know what their names are yet.

A lot of things around our house get named.

Savage Shooter
July 31, 2009, 07:36 PM
I usually just call them by the manufacturer's name but I have been known to call them some other names when "they" ;)miss but I don't think they would be considered pet names:D.

fiddleharp
August 1, 2009, 09:10 PM
Over the last forty years, all kinds of guns have come and gone in my life. I never considered giving any of them names, until very recently.
Over the last four decades, my old Marlin 39A has definitely earned the nickname I recently gave it.
I now call it the "Critter Gitter".
I've killed a couple of truckloads of game and varmints with that rifle, and it still vigorously protects my vegetable garden and fruit orchard.
I reckon it'll be the "Critter Gitter" until I'm too old and feeble to use it properly.

LRaccuracy
August 1, 2009, 09:26 PM
I do call them by name.. XD, AR, 1911 etc. When I produce one for sale on the market, then I will give it a name. Somebody smokin' something?

Just like a birthday card I received from a cute chick named Sue. The card said "When you go over 60 you can start making up S _ _ T.

maniak
August 4, 2009, 08:10 PM
Okay, okay. I don't have an Uzi; but if I did, I'd call it "sUzi Q;" because how could you not?

mongo4567
August 4, 2009, 09:56 PM
They made us name our rifle in Basic Training....named mine after an ex-girlfriend. :)

theotherwaldo
August 4, 2009, 11:01 PM
I used to name my guns back when I only had a few.

It would get confusing to do it now.

tasco 74
August 4, 2009, 11:29 PM
no.. unless you call 1022 custom a name..............

jackstinson
August 5, 2009, 08:19 AM
Yes: "this gun", "that gun", "the other gun", "the other other gun", "the other other other gun"....and etc etc etc etc etc....

SharpsDressedMan
August 5, 2009, 06:51 PM
NO, but I have named a pet by a gun name. I had a dog named "Bullet" when I was a kid.

stchman
August 5, 2009, 06:59 PM
Guns are inanimate objects with so soul or personality.

That being said I have names for my guns:

Taurus Raging Bull .44 Magnum - Taurus or 44 Mag
Ruger 10/22 - 10/22
Ruger Mini-14 - Mini-14
Ruger SR9 - SR9
Mosin Nagant M91/30 - Mosin Nagant
Mosin Nagant M44 Carbine - Mosin Carbine

See I name my guns.

dukenobles
August 5, 2009, 11:20 PM
I called my Kimber Grand Raptor "Catherine", after my first love. Did that mostly cuz saying "Kimber Grand Raptor" was harder to say. Also, like my ex-gf, that gun is beautiful, fits perfectly in my hands, and it can kill me. :p

I jokingly call my Remington 870 "mjolnir". I feel like my 870 is a big ole dang hammer when i shoot slugs about 200 yds downrange with it and see my target demolished.

i call my concealed Walther, "Mr. Walther". Just b/c i really like that pistol and when my close friends ask me if "Mr. Walther" is coming along, I can joking say yes or no w/o letting everyone else know im carrying.

the other couple of dozen guns i own have no names.

mostly for fun and jokes.
also,. guns are like trucks. If a gun is flashy and has lots of beautiful details, its a girl. ;)

DasFriek
August 6, 2009, 12:44 AM
I went the lazy route and copied Homer Simpson guns' name and named my PT745 "Mr Blasty"

DammitBoy
August 6, 2009, 12:56 AM
All Marines name their rifle in Basic.

---

I named my M1A1 'Matilda'

I named my HBAR 'pixikill' after a rabid anti-gunner I met on a message board, just to piss her off.

Some in my collection have names, others haven't earned them yet.

Nematocyst
August 6, 2009, 03:52 AM
It's interesting to read some of these responses, especially by those who don't name guns because they are "inanimate objects".

In some cases, there seems to be some animosity towards the idea. :scrutiny:

We're just having fun here, guys. We all recognize that guns have no feelings, don't hear their names, etc.

It's just a game. :rolleyes:

Boats and airplanes are also inanimate, also, but most boats and some planes (especially warplanes that are effectively weapons) get named.

Why not guns?

http://www.mphpa.org/classic/IM/enola_gay.jpg

AR-15Nutt
August 6, 2009, 10:23 AM
yupppp...!!

"Big Blaster"

"Lil Brown Gun"

"Holey Terror"

"Big MFG"

"My Best Friend"

jgooderh
August 6, 2009, 10:32 AM
I often carry a Bobcat 21A, it's "My Traveling Companion".

Our toaster oven is named "Bernie"

jackstinson
August 6, 2009, 11:36 AM
No........I give my pets gun names.

CoRoMo
August 6, 2009, 11:39 AM
Oh PLEASE let this thread die!!!!

bigalexe
August 6, 2009, 11:46 AM
I occasionally refer to my Mossberg as a Mossy but that's just so I can make fun of my friend who owns the same gun in .410 and call that the little brother.

No pet names are bad, however somethings stuff earns the name.

BTW---- Here's some thread cyanide Mr. CoRoMo, please use it Wisely

lamebums
August 6, 2009, 02:35 PM
I'll invent names to use when in public places, especially around the college campuses full of idiot anti's. Such as Anna Kournikova to refer to an AK. But otherwise I don't bother.

Tim the student
August 6, 2009, 03:31 PM
I'll invent names to use when in public places, especially around the college campuses full of idiot anti's. Such as Anna Kournikova to refer to an AK. But otherwise I don't bother.

Do you say things like "I think I'm going to go shoot the hell out of Anna Kournikova this weekend, wanna join me and put some lead through her?":neener:

TOTC
August 6, 2009, 04:55 PM
Owen Z Pitt carries Abomination

bottom shelf
August 6, 2009, 05:45 PM
Hmm. I'm definitely in the minority it looks like. I call my carry weapon "Lisa". The AR-15 is also Lisa. None of the other fairearms have names. The only other inanimate objects I name are motorcycles. The cruiser is Lisa, and the GoldWing is Hondapotamus.

KBT1911
August 6, 2009, 07:15 PM
My .45 is named "the Painkiller". I named my Taurus "Snoopy" because i spent so much time waiting for it to "come home" from the factory repair shop. I named my motorcycle, too. I call it the Drakkar or sometimes the Suicide Machine depending on how the ride went.

kierontwalsh
August 6, 2009, 07:22 PM
I as an instructor tell everyone a gun is a cold hard piece of steel that will kill you as quick as anyone else, don't humanize it.

But a female student said she refers to her carry piece as Herman, so in public she can say, "I'm O.K. Herman is with me", or once to her husband over the phone while in a crowded elevator, "it's O.k., Herman is hanging with me all day!"

She made a good point!

vintage68
August 6, 2009, 07:26 PM
Precious

"My precious......we loves it, we does....."

dukenobles
August 7, 2009, 01:21 AM
why so much animosity guys? so some of us have nicknames for our guns. big deal.

as long as no one here thinks the gun is answering to their name, we'll all be fine.

Joe Demko
August 7, 2009, 09:03 AM
This "code names" for guns so "nobody will know what you are talking about" strikes me as pretty ridiculous. If you regularly carry a gun, why would someone like a spouse_who knows you carry_be publicly asking you if you have it? In front of whom would such a conversation take place where it is important to discuss it without these people understanding you? Under what circumstances is simply quietly asking "do you have your gun?" a problem? It is my experience that other people are not as wrapped up in your conversations as you think they are. OTOH, if it makes you feel all secret agenty to use code names, it doesn't cost me anything and pleasures you. Have at it.

AR-15Nutt
August 7, 2009, 11:06 AM
"code names".., my wife and i have a code for home use, if someone comes on our property and acts confrontational i loudly say, "sweetheart, please get my hearing aid", she comes out with our 20" double barrel shotgun in the ready position !! we only had to use it one time a few years ago and the "perp" left in one hell of a hurry :D

jaholder1971
August 7, 2009, 07:46 PM
Back when I was shooting NRA/CMP matches I named my AR "Chef's Black Love Gun" and put a sticker of the character from South Park on the stock.

Nematocyst
August 7, 2009, 08:54 PM
as long as no one here thinks the gun is answering to their name, we'll all be fine. You mean, yours doesn't? :uhoh:

http://www.geocities.com/beaver_militia/talking_gun.jpg

Photo from here. (http://www.geocities.com/beaver_militia/talking_gun.jpg)

usmc1371
August 9, 2009, 02:36 PM
Yes. G35 is called Glockenspieal (sp?) Or raging POS depends on how I do at the IPSC match.
CZ 375 HnH usuly goes by 375 or doe duster.
Old ruger m77 30-06... meat gun.
Les baer supervarmint .204.... fly swater.
I called my M16 Amanda in basic, after the old country song by Don willams I think.

ccsniper
August 9, 2009, 02:53 PM
only my most prized are. my chinese sks, is honey. my turk mauser, is turkey. those are only the ones named, at the moment, I am about to get a romanian psl and I may name it may not

M1A National Match
August 9, 2009, 03:04 PM
If I meet my shooting friends at a (crowded Seattle) Starbucks on the way to the range and somebody asks "Watcha bring?" I might say "Ivan" referring to my AK.

I do the same thing. My M1A is 'Mia'; my M1 Carbine is 'Emmy'; my AR-15 is 'Arla'; my Mini-14 is 'Mini'; Colt 45 is 'Colten', etc., etc., etc.

I'm not going to worry about it unless the guns start talking back. Then I'm in big trouble. :eek::)

DammitBoy
August 9, 2009, 09:32 PM
I bought a Ruger 44 magnum stainless blackhawk today at the gun show in Jackson, I will name it 'Roscoe P. Coltrain'... :neener:

lamebums
August 15, 2009, 06:24 AM
Do you say things like "I think I'm going to go shoot the hell out of Anna Kournikova this weekend, wanna join me and put some lead through her?"

Not quite. But I'll be like "Yeah, I'll put her to work". or something like that.

Then again, I could probably get away with 'AK-47' on campus, since to many idiot anti's it's more likely to refer to marijuana than to anything else.

Zwetschgen
August 15, 2009, 10:55 AM
I named my revolver Reginald Denny, but just kind of as a reminder.

007BondJamesBond007
August 15, 2009, 11:15 AM
My wife refers to my Kimber as Kim and my PPK/S as Walther when we are out in public.

Dr_2_B
August 15, 2009, 11:47 PM
I usually let them keep the names they came with.

Defense Minister
August 16, 2009, 12:01 AM
No. I give my pets gun names.

"Sit, Ruger, sit. Good boy."

Hammerhead6814
August 16, 2009, 12:03 AM
I want to. But what on earth do you name a Saiga?

EDIT:

Yes actually. "Sir Edmund Hillary", for the fact that after I fell off it was, drill bit and all, still in the roof.

KevininPa
August 16, 2009, 12:25 AM
No. To me they are tools. I take care of them, but they are still tools. My hammers and saws don't have names either.

Five-O
August 16, 2009, 02:13 AM
Only my 11-87 turkey gun, "The Fat Lady," 'cause when she sings it's all over!

You look under the trigger housing.

I'm not going to worry about it unless the guns start talking back. Then I'm in big trouble. __________________

Great thread OP, lots of chuckles reading the various posts. My three favorites above.
My father named his '55 Renault 4CV "Little Bit" cause it was little! I don't know why he bought a car that got 50mpg when gas was 25 cents a gallon.:confused: But then again he also had an old Studebaker that would only start if we pushed it backwards.
He had a .22 Winchester rifle that he used when he took us kids to kill rabbits at night. He never missed! I think he learned to be a good shot when he fought from Normandy to Berlin back in '44/45. My mom still has that gun.

thunder173
August 16, 2009, 08:55 PM
Doesn't everyone???

KBT1911
October 12, 2009, 11:07 PM
My buddies and I used to ask "Are you feeling pieceful ?(peaceful)" in public.

Madcap_Magician
October 13, 2009, 10:37 AM
We all named our rifles in basic training, but since then I haven't named a single gun.

Ironically one of my buddies then named his M16 "Gun."

zstephens13
October 13, 2009, 06:30 PM
My lever action 30-30 is named Annie.
My Kimber pro carry (black) is named Charlotte like the black widow in Charlotte's Web.
I haven't thought of a good name for my Ar-10 yet though...

theotherwaldo
October 13, 2009, 08:00 PM
I have considered naming my AR "Junior", after Buck Godot's (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20070111) sidearm.

Buck is my hero!

Backpacker33
October 13, 2009, 10:58 PM
BWAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Of COURSE! I was a USAF pilot in Vietnam and we gave the planes nicknames. I remember "The Hemorrhoid," "The Pig," "Satchemo," "Leaker," "Bad News," "Orr," "Santa" and many others.

Today I fly B-17s with names like "Sentimental Journey," "Texas Raiders," "Aluminum Overcast," "Fuddy Duddy," and "Liberty Bell."

I named two of my guns. One was "Fluffy" because anything with that much attention to it had to be a pet, and "Spot" because it always barked when I petted it.
- Backpacker33

Officers'Wife
October 13, 2009, 11:02 PM
I have one carbine called the "hungry rifle" as anything I shoot at with it is going to be lunch. Does that count?

trimore
October 13, 2009, 11:56 PM
Yes. The names are used as "code names" between my wife and I when around our kids and others if need be.

Backpacker33
October 14, 2009, 12:01 AM
When they first came out a friend of mine referred to his as "Smegma." Not sure if that was a name or an epithet.
Backpacker 33

ConstitutionCowboy
October 14, 2009, 12:11 AM
We've got two with names. A Walther P22 that we named "Grits" in honor of Grits Gresham when we found out we bought it the day Grits passed away. The other is my Bushmaster BAR-10 that the wife calls "Vera" after the "Firefly" series character Jane Cobb's weapon he named "Vera".

Woody

Ryder
October 14, 2009, 03:15 AM
No, I actually don't waste any effort trying to think up names for my guns... But some of them have told me what they want to be called after they've seen action.

rocinante
October 14, 2009, 11:30 PM
My kids give them names (I am a big kid so I think of some of them too)

My matching revolvers are Pete and Repete

My egyptian fn49 is ahmed. My boy nicked that after ahmed the dead terrorist ventriloquist.

My S12 is weldon because all the work I have done on it is well done and with the welding and j.b. weld it is weld on. cute huh?

My Walther P1 is kissy after a german girl i knew by that name.

My double barrel coach gun is Bob. I have no idea why and the boy couldn't come up with a reason why either. Just that is Bob.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you give you guns pet names?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!