Unique not dispensing uniformly

PDA

showmebob
July 28, 2009, 03:51 PM
My Hornady powder measure doesn't seem to dispense Unique uniformly. +/- .2 grains. Is this just the nature of Unique or is there something I can do to my powder measure to help the situation? I use dryer sheets to eleminate static.

If you enjoyed reading about "Unique not dispensing uniformly" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
July 28, 2009, 03:57 PM
Pistol rotor & insert?

PISTOL ROTOR AND STANDARD METERING INSERT
Item No. Price
050128 $37.37

For use in your L-N-L Powder Measure, this pistol rotor features a smaller chamber for more precise metering.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=adbc93acc4d239ad040f68b2239d6a60&page=shop%2Fbrowse&category_id=b55bb80c7bf4e0a31d16d4a3e087c72d

Also, a homemade powder baffel might help if it doesn't already have one.
See this about that:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=4540388&postcount=9

rc

bedwards1
July 28, 2009, 03:59 PM
Its a flake powder. It's not very clean burning either. I think its the nature of the beast. Someone will come along shortly and correct me. :-)

Ben Shepherd
July 28, 2009, 04:00 PM
Have you "settled" the powder in the measure prior to trying for consistant throws?

That helps quite a bit with almost any flake powder.

mgkdrgn
July 28, 2009, 04:15 PM
I get the same thing with Green Dot ... another "flake" powder. Both seem to be known for not "metering" very well.

I'm doing mild to mid-range loads, so it's not much of an issue if they are over/under a bit. I peek in the case prior to bullet seating, and if it is visibly really over/under I dump and refill. Might do that to 1 or 2 out of 50.

If I wanted a -really- consistent load I'd switch to another powder. (not sure what, but something that would meter better). I like the Green Dot because:
1) I was actually able to find some to buy.
2) I can load 45 Colt, 9mm and Shotgun, which is all I load

Doogledog
July 28, 2009, 05:28 PM
I hace an RCBS and a Lee powder measures and they both didn't measure Unique very well until I had run quite a bit of powder through both of them. (Approx. 1 LB.) They both measure quite accurately now. In the mean time give the hopper a slight tap between powder throws.

243winxb
July 28, 2009, 06:30 PM
Unique uniformly. +/- .2 grains. Try the double bump method. After the chamber is filled, give it a 2nd bump against the stop.

atblis
July 28, 2009, 06:48 PM
Truthfully, that's probably good enough that you'd only notice when shooting over a chronograph.

showmebob
July 28, 2009, 07:29 PM
Let me thank all of you for your responses and answer your questions.
Yes, I am using the pistol rotor and insert. I have tried with and without a powder baffle. The powder is "settled". The powder measure has about 2400 rounds loaded through it. I am using it with the LNL AP press.
I agree that for light to midrange uses there is enough margin of safety that +/- .2 grains of Unique won't make much difference. However I am a nut for details and I plan on working up some Max loads and would like to use up some of my supply of Unique. At higher pressures it should burn much cleaner than at moderate to light loads otherwise I would just use it up for range ammo in my 9mm.
Thanks again and I'm always open to more expert advice!

ants
July 28, 2009, 07:39 PM
Unique -- yeah, it's like that.

Where do you live? How much Unique do you have?
If one of the old reloaders (or new reloaders!) lives nearby with a full stock of powders, maybe he/she will trade for some of your Unique. In my hometown we only trade open canisters among close friends, but if the the bottle is new and sealed up we'll trade it in a jiffy.

showmebob
July 28, 2009, 07:45 PM
I live in central CO. I've got 3 lbs unopened Unique.

GP100man
July 28, 2009, 08:05 PM
give it a squirt of powdered graphite & shake it up , enuff to get on the tube & workings of the measure & create a rythum on raising & lowering handle , i double tap at the top when using a measure.
but the graphite works wonders !!!! i do this & even sit one of my tumblers on the bench when working with 800x or HERCO.

GP100man

Steve C
July 28, 2009, 09:04 PM
I use a lot of Unique powder and have 2 Hornady powder measures, a manual set up for my single stage and one on my Hornady LNL AP. With the pistol meter in it will dispense Unique with precision not measurable with a scale after a short settling in after first filling with powder. During that settling in time it's accurate within 0.1 grain. As mentioned, Unique is a flake powder. It needs to be settled in the powder measure with the flakes laying uniformly. Unually this is done by the movement of the press on the progresssive or by operating the handle or shaking the measure before hand. After first filling with powder I usually rap the measure a bit with a mallet handle enough to shake the powder a bit and settle it.

Randy1911
July 28, 2009, 10:46 PM
I gave up on using Unique because I had so much trouble getting it to measure accurately. I went back to ball powders and everything is fine. I like W231 and Power Pistol. They will load just about anything I want in pistol calibers.

atblis
July 28, 2009, 11:29 PM
Change powders then.

IMR 7625 meters freaking awesome and covers some of the same things Unique does.

Might try Ramshot ZIP too if you're interested in a good metering powder.

Power pistol is not a ball powder.

Clarence
July 28, 2009, 11:52 PM
Lots of people swear by Unique............I used to swear at it..............Now I just don't use it. We're all a lot happier now.

aerod1
July 29, 2009, 12:14 AM
Try attaching a personal vibrator to the side of your powder measure. I hear that works great until someone notices it missing.:D

Steve in PA
July 29, 2009, 01:16 AM
I've been using Unique in my .45acp loads for several years now, love it. The trick is to set up a rhythm, much like when using extruded (stick) powder. Knock at the top....knock at the bottom.

joneb
July 29, 2009, 01:18 AM
I had the same problems with Unique in my Redding M3 w/ the micro pistol meter bar, I have steered away from Unq. to AA#5 which is working very well as a suitable replacement.
But I still think Unq. is a great powder.

qajaq59
July 29, 2009, 07:42 AM
Unique was driving me nuts until I disassembled the powder measure, cleaned it real well, and then lubed it with graphite. Since then I've had no problems with it. I suspect though that eventually I'll have to do it again.

Jim Watson
July 29, 2009, 08:52 AM
Try attaching a personal vibrator to the side of your powder measure. I hear that works great until someone notices it missing.

even sit one of my tumblers on the bench when working with 800x or HERCO

Well, I just strapped a $6 aquarium air pump to the side of my powder measure to settle the similarly flaky 700X for better metering. It still isn't great so when I have emptied the measure, I will be trying other pistol powders and save the 700X for my occasional batch of shotgun shells.

WV_Vizsla
July 29, 2009, 10:53 AM
Since you are using it on your LNL AP (right?)... The powder measure jumps around quite a bit when the case bumps up for powder. Unique may not be your friend. Try to trade it off or take up clay shooting. American Select has a similar size flake and less factory graffite. It would sometimes bridge in my LNL small rotor and drop ~ 2-3gr, eyeball on the Powder Cop caught most.

Happily using Win Super Field shotgun small ball powder (WSF) for 9mm and 45 now. Seems cleaner than most and meters very well.

showmebob
July 30, 2009, 01:31 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated!

Noveldoc
July 30, 2009, 01:54 AM
Solder a small like 380 or 25 auto size case to a heavy wire handle then grind it down with your moto tool weighing each time until it throws the weight you want. Like those little Lee plastic cups.

Fast and works. Dip, scrape off the top with a card and pour.

Tom

SASS#23149
July 30, 2009, 03:31 AM
My friend and I also just discovered the 'double bump'method on stand-alone powder measures,..his is a Lyaman's 55.With Unique,I double bump the handle on the down stroke,and at completion of the upstroke,I knuckle rap the reservioir lightly.
of course if youre measure is mounted on a progressive,that is different..just use the knuckle-wrap,twice,after every throw,
Let us know what works,or doesn't.

WV_Vizsla
July 30, 2009, 12:09 PM
I used the double bump on the lyman for 15+ years.. When to this for better accuracy and easy=speed:
https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=1b8917fcabaf4888d5cdca6371f2af3c&page=shop%2Fbrowse&category_id=08634f4234d52e43cd97ba116bbc5483

Really great powder measure with a consistent micrometer reset. Just write the setting in die box and you are back on line in seconds.

Less costly option is the standard measure, same as the LNL-AP measure. Can add the micrometer later.
https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=1b8917fcabaf4888d5cdca6371f2af3c&page=shop%2Fbrowse&category_id=b55bb80c7bf4e0a31d16d4a3e087c72d

GRIZ22
July 30, 2009, 10:09 PM
How much that variation effects your round depends a lot on the charge. .2 gr of a 10.0gr load is only 2%. Only 3% of a 6.0 grain load. There are many other things that cause variations. Unless you are running max loads or preparing match loads you probably won't notice the difference in accuracy.

All the other suggestions given can minimize the error.

I do all my handgun reloading with Bullseye, Unique, or W296.

Geezer59
July 31, 2009, 12:59 AM
Unique was driving me nuts until I disassembled the powder measure, cleaned it real well, and then lubed it with graphite. Since then I've had no problems with it. I suspect though that eventually I'll have to do it again.
I'm using a Hornady LNL powder measure with pistol rotor/insert on a LNL-AP press. When I first got it, my experiences pretty much mirrored qajaq59's - the thing just about drove me crazy! Charges varied +/- .4 grain, which was totally unacceptable. Went to Hornady's website looking for troubleshooting tips, they emphasized that the powder measure components have to be scrupulously clean and lubricated with graphite or their One-Shot Cleaner-Degreaser & Dry Lube.

After teardown, cleaning, and dry lubing, the powder measure now dispenses flake powder (Unique, Rex 2, etc.) within +/- .1 grain - which is within the accuracy limits of my electronic scale. Close enough for me! :)

showmebob
July 31, 2009, 03:09 PM
I did the clean/lube routine when I first got the measure and again very recently. Both times it was with the One Shot Cleaner Lube. Maybe I'll try it with graphite this time to see if it helps.

showmebob
July 31, 2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks to all for the advice.

RSVP2RIP
July 31, 2009, 06:03 PM
Had a similar problem with my AP using W231. Only the charges varied 1-2 GRAINS! I stopped using 231 in it but I'm going to try the cleaning/graphite trick.

Knucklehead2
July 31, 2009, 06:14 PM
I remove the pistol rotor and use the rifle rotor for Unique.
I found the small diameter on the pistol rotor to sometimes bridge and not drop
anywhere near the correct setting.
Slightly harder to adjust but it always repeats.

If you enjoyed reading about "Unique not dispensing uniformly" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!