Can you use 3 in 1 oil on guns?

PDA

stchman
July 28, 2009, 03:02 PM
I was looking through my garage and I have a pretty big bottle of 3 in 1 oil.

It would seem that it would lubricate guns.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can you use 3 in 1 oil on guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedLiberal
July 28, 2009, 03:06 PM
3 in 1 is a poor lubricant for guns. It has little corrosion protection.

Deltaboy
July 28, 2009, 03:06 PM
I used to until they came out with CLP. I still use it on my fishing reels and locks.

benEzra
July 28, 2009, 03:07 PM
Yes, but compared to modern lubricants, it does a rather poor job. It is really too thin and volatile for firearms use.

If you are looking for something inexpensive to buy in bulk that is a fantastic gun lubricant, pick up a quart of Mobil 1 10W30 (full synthetic PAO oil, not dinosaur derived). It's a little too thick for putting on the gun's exterior, but on slide rails and such, it is superior to a lot of

Deanimator
July 28, 2009, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't. It gums up badly. I once used some on a clock when I was a kid. Result: dead clock.

jimmyraythomason
July 28, 2009, 03:10 PM
Maybe this will help<http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=462452>

rcmodel
July 28, 2009, 03:17 PM
If you look at a few dozen old guns notice all of the oil soaked stocks with dark oil stains and cracks next to the actions.

Most of that is due to 3 in 1 Oil being the universal firearms lubricant back in the day.
It's so thin it runs out one end when you put it on the other end!

And it offers almost zero rust protection.

Use it to oil the wheels on your lawn mower and buy some modern gun care products.

rc

Vern Humphrey
July 28, 2009, 03:41 PM
Yep. Growing up in the Ozarks, 3-in-1 oil was the standard for guns, so much that when I smell it, I think "guns!" And you can see the dark stains around the wrist of many an old .30-30 where the 3-in-1 oil drained down and soaked the wood.

Ky Larry
July 28, 2009, 04:58 PM
It stays wet and attracts dust and dirt that produces gum.IIUC, most modern gun lubes are two parts: a carrier-penetrant that goes on wet and evaporates and a dry lubricant. If I'm wrong on this, someone please correct me.

benEzra
July 28, 2009, 05:09 PM
It stays wet and attracts dust and dirt that produces gum.IIUC, most modern gun lubes are two parts: a carrier-penetrant that goes on wet and evaporates and a dry lubricant. If I'm wrong on this, someone please correct me.
Some of them are (the various Teflon and molybdenum disulfide dry lubes come to mind), but a lot of them are just very, very good wet lubes. Modern synthetics don't turn to gum even when exposed to dirt and dust; on the contrary, they keep the dust and dirt suspended and loose so that the operation of the firearm can clear it out. Some wet lubes do have solvent carriers to allow them to be sprayed on and then thicken to a thicker viscosity that is better for lubrication when the solvent evaporates (e.g., Rem Oil, CLP).

searcher451
July 28, 2009, 07:07 PM
The question is somewhat reminiscent of the old line about whether it's possible to can catch VD on a toilet seat. The answer: Of course you can, but it's quite uncomfortable. So sure, you can use 3-1 oil in a lot of settings, guns included, but there are plenty of better products out there.

Here's a link to an article in The Gun Zone that is worth a read, detailing some serious testing of lubricants and rust preventatives; perhaps it will help folks sort through some of the issues:

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

Tinpig
July 28, 2009, 07:26 PM
Of course you can. It works fine. I've been using 3-in-1 for 55 years on my guns, reels, and the carpenter's tools I make my living with....and I live 200 yds from salt water.
I can't abide rust. If the stuff didn't work I wouldn't still be using it.

Tinpig

Oro
July 28, 2009, 07:41 PM
In a simple answer: yes, you can use it. There are better things out there. But it will provide protection, especially if you are not carrying the firearms daily or leaving it on a boat, etc. You will need to-reapply it more often than some other more modern products, and thus the added run-off and more mess. I still use it in some limited applications when other lubes aren't right near by.

For sliding surfaces and those with a lot of shear, like a frame rail or a sear, etc., I still don't trust it enough to have the film strength to not migrate away. I would still use some grease on spots like that. No need for anything crazy - get some white lithium grease from NAPA for that if you want. Works great in other non-gun applications, too.

22-rimfire
July 28, 2009, 10:55 PM
I use it sometimes if that is what's handy.

Bought a Daisy Red Rider BB gun in the last month and they recommend against using it. Manual says use 20W oil.... who sells 20W oil?

Oro
July 29, 2009, 03:12 AM
Bought a Daisy Red Rider BB gun in the last month and they recommend against using it.

As a 30+ year Red Ryder owner and shooter, amateur machinist and professional physical science student, Let me say:

1) I believe their recommendation is based on what base stock petroleum product will supplement and not degrade the rubber seals on the air piston, not what is the best lubricant or anti-oxidant

2) Red Ryders make awesome air guns for practice - accurate and above all consistent. My RR shoots with the same ballistic characteristics it did in the '70s. Remarkable.

3) Don't confuse what an air gun needs with what a center-fire handgun needs. Just not comparable.

To your point: if you can't find 20w oil, just use straight 30w. Or use 20w-"X" blend where "X" is as small as you can find. It will work fine.

22-rimfire
July 29, 2009, 08:06 AM
I mostly mentioned the Daisy to make a point that there must be a difference. Been using RemOil, but I didn't understand why the manual stated this. Not trying to change the subject on this thread. I just thought it interesting that a BB gun manual would actually state NOT to use it. It is for some young kids since I know their mother won't provide that kind of training. I was pleasantly surprised at the power level as my old one never had much umph.

Sav .250
July 29, 2009, 09:25 AM
A little dab will do ya..........:)

Owen Sparks
July 29, 2009, 11:35 AM
There used to be a gunsmith in my town (dead 20 years now) who had a bottle of 3in1 oil prominently displayed under a warning sign in his shop. It has been so long ago that I can't remember exactly what the warning said but it was either that it damaged bluing or wood. I do remember the head line of the sign said "Do not use 3 in 1 on guns."

thebigc
July 29, 2009, 04:00 PM
it works ok i have been using 3 in one for a long time on my guns i like to mix it with rig to dilute the rig then use that to wipe of my stuff works really well i wouldn't trust it on slide rails or anything i use white lithium grease for that.

alistaire
July 29, 2009, 04:05 PM
A little dab will do ya..........

Is Brylcreem a good gun lubricant? :-)

DeepSouth
July 29, 2009, 04:07 PM
I'm one of those strange folks that like to use gun oil for guns. Call me crazy.

I really like Gun Butter, it seems to the best I've found.

LemmyCaution
July 29, 2009, 05:13 PM
In our Free Market Democracy® the consumer is putatively king. You can use peanut butter to lube your gun, if you like.

But it isn't necessarily a good idea.

Nor is 3 in 1 oil.

jimmyraythomason
July 29, 2009, 05:30 PM
3in1 oil,peanut oil,corn oil or even water has some lubricating characteristics. Any of them are better than none.

Joe Demko
July 29, 2009, 06:00 PM
Using too much oil, regardless of what brand, is what causes oil-soaked stocks.

Arkansas Paul
July 29, 2009, 07:33 PM
Why use something that wasn't intended for firearms when you can get a small bottle of Rem Oil for $2

22-rimfire
July 29, 2009, 07:57 PM
There was a day that Rem Oil and similar products did not exist.

loadedround
July 29, 2009, 09:08 PM
3 In 1 Oil works great for sharpening knifes and small chisels on a whetstone. That's all I use since Rcmodel took away my WD40. :D

sernv99
July 30, 2009, 05:57 AM
3 in 1 oil is fine for guns, will NOT wear the blueing off of a gun. I have used it and so has my other family members, to wipe down the metal exteriors of guns after a day of hunting/shooting, for years and years. No blue wear whatsoever. If you have blue wear from using 3 in 1, you must be rubbing the dang rag hard against the metal for it to come off like that.

I agree with the statement that any oil, allowed to drip down to the wood stock, will stain the stock eventually.

rocky branch
July 30, 2009, 06:30 AM
I am horrified to learn I have been abusing my stuff for over 50 years.

LRaccuracy
July 30, 2009, 10:07 AM
I think I will write the 3 in 1 people and ask their opinion. I'll bet they say it the best stuff in the world for guns.

LRaccuracy
July 30, 2009, 10:17 AM
Okay I just wrote to the 3 in 1 people and aske their opinion. From reading their home page, their product should be okay to use on firearms. We'll see! I think it takes a few days to get an answer.

gdbrown56
July 30, 2009, 07:11 PM
Is Brylcreem a good gun lubricant? :-)
watch out Alistair.. you are dating yourself. I remember those Brylcreem commercials well...lol

Deltaboy
July 30, 2009, 09:08 PM
Dating your self????????? they still sell the stuff at Wal-Mart and my local HEB. Matter of fact I saw a commerical for it on the TV last week.

skoro
July 30, 2009, 09:32 PM
For years, I've used some stuff called Gunk Super Oil that comes in a small metal can like 3-in-1. Seems to work pretty well. I don't know if it's the same stuff or not, because there are no ingredients listed on the label. Claims it's good for hinges, locks, springs, wheels, FIREARMS, fishing reels, electric motors, yadda, yadda, yadda...

I've been using Rem Oil some recently, too. Seems to be very light and evaporates so fast I question its lube qualities.

LRaccuracy
July 31, 2009, 09:26 PM
Okay Folks, I did get a response from the 3 In 1 oil people. This is what they wrote regarding using 3 in 1 oil on firearms:

Dear Mr. XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting the WD-40 Company and we appreciate your interest in our product. Our 3-In-One products do not contain solvents and are classified as non-detergent.

We have not tested 3-In-One for use on firearms, and so we would like to recommend you contact the manufacturer of your guns for their expert advice.

Thank you again for contacting the WD-40 Company. Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Best regards,
WD-40 Customer Service

cyclopsshooter
July 31, 2009, 09:36 PM
gun butter

22-rimfire
July 31, 2009, 09:40 PM
We have not tested 3-In-One for use on firearms, and so we would like to recommend you contact the manufacturer of your guns for their expert advice.

Why give an answer when no answer will serve? :D

Gun Slinger
August 1, 2009, 10:39 AM
Probably a liability concern. Darned lawyers. :D

Tinpig
August 2, 2009, 10:14 AM
We have not tested 3-In-One for use on firearms.

The 3-In-One customer service guys need to get together with their website guys for some conflict resolution... maybe over a beer at the White House.

See the first image here: http://www.3inone.com/
and:
Use 3-IN-ONE on in-line skates, tools, firearms, bicycles, rollers, wheels, skateboards, fans, hinges and moving parts...nearly everything that moves.
:D

Tinpig

Vern Humphrey
August 2, 2009, 03:56 PM
Wouldn't be the first company where the engineers and advertising boys were at odds with each other.

Deltaboy
August 2, 2009, 04:28 PM
3-1 is good stuff. My Granddad used it on his pocket knives and wipe his garden tools down with it daily. He also used it on his guns and door locks, padlocks etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can you use 3 in 1 oil on guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!