CZ-83 Comments

PDA

schmeky
July 28, 2009, 08:47 PM
I have a CZ-83 on the way. I would appreciate any comments, good or bad on this .380.

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ-83 Comments" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
usp9
July 28, 2009, 09:31 PM
* Keep it lubed well. I use TW25b light grease and it works well.
* If you remove the grips, watch for the trigger guard pin to fall out of the frame.
* Watch for grip screws to loosen. I put tiny rubber washers on mine.
* Watch out for hammer bite.
* Some aggressive cleaners will melt the grips.
* The trigger guard may be tight initially when you dismantle the gun... that's normal. It isn't like a Walther in that regard.
* They work well with cheaper Commie ammo.
* Sig P232 recoil springs will fit.

Enjoy. It's a nice pistol with good ergonomic and it's pretty accurate.

Dr_2_B
July 29, 2009, 02:36 AM
Man I wish I got answers like that when I asked questions.

armoredman
July 29, 2009, 02:44 AM
Nice. We had one on the rental range I worked at, and it shot like a laser. Big for the caliber, and it is NOT a CZ75, differant system. Good gun, rugged and dependable.

Shadow 7D
July 29, 2009, 05:04 AM
Same gun, different caliber as the CZ / VZ 82 of surplus fame, that said, the vz-82 is a hell of a gun.

sidheshooter
July 29, 2009, 05:11 AM
+1 on the quality of usp9's reply.

p232 recoil spring... who knew?

schmeky
July 29, 2009, 10:08 AM
usp9,

Boy howdy, great reposnse. What you provided is precisely what I was looking for, just never thought I'd find it.

Dr_2_B
July 29, 2009, 10:58 AM
schmeky, where'd you get it?

usp9
July 29, 2009, 11:10 AM
p232 recoil spring... who knew?

I bought the three pack of Wolfe springs for my P232. I tried the heaviest one on my CZ82 and it worked fine. Actually I haven't tried one on my CZ83 as it is only a few thousand rounds old and doesn't need replacement yet. I admit that I'm assuming the barrel diameter is the same.

schmeky
July 29, 2009, 12:05 PM
Dr. 2 B,

Got it here. I've always wanted a .380, especially a nickled CZ. The 83's have always been to expensive for me, but this one was "reasonable".

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=134887726

dairycreek
July 29, 2009, 12:22 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/dairycreek/CZ83FIST1-R.jpg

I have had mine for several years and have put several K rounds through it (when ammo for the 380 was easier to get) with absolutely no probems - ever!

Used all kinds and brands of ammo and the little 83 just took it all in stride. Lovely little pistol.

EAJ
July 29, 2009, 03:18 PM
Like'm so much I have two; nickel and blue.

1. Keep it lubed well. - I use Break Free CLP and it works well.

2. If you remove the grips, watch for the trigger guard pin to fall out of the frame. - Yes, happened to me once.

3. Watch for grip screws to loosen. I put tiny rubber washers on mine. - None issue on mine. Snug them up each time you clean and you shouldn't have a problem.

4. Watch out for hammer bite. - None issue with the (beavertail) frame.

5.Some aggressive cleaners will melt the grips. - Yes, keep Gun Scrubber and Break Free Powder Blast off the grips. Don't ask me how I know.

6. The trigger guard may be tight initially when you dismantle the gun... that's normal. It isn't like a Walther in that regard. - Yes, will loosen up after a few cleaning. Keep an eye on the trigger pivot pin. If loose it can slip out of the frame after you pull the trigger guard forward during disassembly.

7. They work well with cheaper Commie ammo. - Haven't shot any commie ammo, but it handles Magtech, S&B FMJ and various HP with ease and reliability.

8. Sig P232 recoil springs will fit. - Can't say; haven't had any reason to change recoil springs.

Enjoy your pistol. :)

http://fishkind.com/collection/images/cz83_01.jpg

CZF
July 29, 2009, 05:17 PM
Although they are heavy for a pocket pistol round.
They are extremely well made and hardly ever break down.

The trigger/actions are so nice.. that you just never hear of someone
wanting a trigger job on them.

With nights, they are probably the best sights except those on the much more
expensive SIG P232.

I think you will LOVE it!

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/CZ%20PICS/83xp.jpg
Yes, the exposed view poster is way cool, too!

Matrix187
July 29, 2009, 07:19 PM
The gun is extremely easy to take apart. Don't hesitate to clean it after every range session. It's REALLY easy! The gun fits my hand, and many others perfectly. The trigger is awesome. The pistol is extremely accurate, and reliable. It will eat basically any 9x18 ammo you buy for it right up. They can still shoot dirty reliably, but I still recommend you clean it regularly just in case.

Big Daddy Grim
July 29, 2009, 07:21 PM
well said usp

CZF
July 29, 2009, 08:43 PM
As posted by me a few weeks ago.

LOW price for the gun and ammo isn't expensive.

GUN: excellent ergonomics (after all it's a CZ
Good trigger pulls in both SA (sweet) and DA (silky smooth)
for a economical pocket pistol caliber firearm.

WE never hear of problems with the CZ82/CZ83 and there
are plenty of them out there.

Virtually NOBODY requests a trigger job on these guns.

Controls: Browning type mag release, and ambi safety levers.

Sights:Big and block sights that are not normally found
on .380s and the like. Can be changed out for CZ nites if desired.

Capacity: 12 or 13 rounds of 9mm Mak or .380 isn't
a bad thing.

Weight: The gun is a bit large and heavy for pocket carry,
but not as heavy as a 75B.

Accuracy: the weight is favorable for good control and
ammazing accuracy for the calibers.

Reliability: Only probles with some JHPs on the market.
MY .380 didn't like Hyrdra-Shoks, my 9mm Mak digested every
load I could put thru it.

Price: Have seen them for as low as $199 in recent weeks.

They can look mil surplus or fantastic.

I also think that the CZ82/83 is the best looking CZ poster,
and the CZ82/83 series puts any Makarov in the dust!

PICS & INFO :

http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/hakan/CZ82.html

http://www.angelfire.com/id/projects...rsap/cz83.html

schmeky
July 29, 2009, 09:52 PM
I really appreciate the replies. The pictures you guys are posting are not doing me any good either :what: I'm really stoked!!

I have a problem: AMMO. Checked today and the only .380 I found anywhere is $38.00 for a box of 50. What the ______ !!!

So I'm looking for .380 dies and brass for my Dillon 550. I wish they could put Bush back in office just long enough for ammo prices to come back down to earth. Geeeze.

CZF
July 29, 2009, 11:39 PM
Ya, I sold all my 250 rounds of .380 ammo, and plan on buying a CZ82 in 9 MAK
this fall.

The MAK ammo seems to be cheaper than 9mm and fairly abundant in the local shops.

Wolf for practice and Hornady XTP for carry if at all possible.

That combo worked fine for through 2 summers of carrying this:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/15103czla.jpg

My glossy blued CZ83 in .380 was nice too, but I had a small rust problem during the winter.

I found the extra punch of the 9 Mak round was more to my liking.
-----------
A surplus vz82 with the enamel finish will be the best of both worlds.

christcorp
July 30, 2009, 02:59 AM
Yea; the CZ-83 is a nice gun; but I really do prefer the CZ-82 more. The Makarov 9mm ammo is harder hitting; more available; cheaper (1/3 the price); and the guns in my opinion are better quality; because they are the no longer produced military/police weapons of the Czech republic. While the cz-83 is still a more modern. But that is not saying the cz-83 is bad; just that the cz-82 is better.

FWIW; there's a lot of 380 ammo around here. I was just at a gun shop today. They had white box winchester value packs of 100 for $50.00 That would be $25 a box of 50. I think that's a bit high. Especially considering I bought a box of 50 at walmart a couple weeks ago for $16 and a box at another gun store 2 weeks ago for $17.

The 380 is a good caliber. I have a 32acp and a 9mm Makarov; and the 380 is in between the 2, so it must be OK in my book. But I would NEVER own one because of the availability and RAPED price of ammo. Matter of fact; the gun store I visited today (Small town with population of about 2,000 people; 85 miles from where I live); had a high point 380 that was in good shape, and the dealer was willing to let me have it for $50. (He took it as part of a trade in on a 1911A1 because the owner couldn't get ammo for it). I can get ammo; but WHY IN THE WORLD would I pay $16-$30 (Or more like some of you) for a box of 50; when I can get the same size gun; shooting 9mm makarov; which kicks about the same; has MORE POWER; Better ballistics; better self defense (Equal to a 38 special); and I can buy ALL the ammo I want; online; including shipping; for $9.50 a box??????

Sorry, I turned down the $50 High Point. A 380 makes absolutely NO SENSE at all. My $200 CZ-82 compared to the $50 High Point 380; will Pay off the $150 PRICE DIFFERENCE in as little as 10 boxes of ammo. $10 for 9mm mak vs $25 for 380. $15 PER BOX SAVINGS. It's easy!!!! Do the math!!!!!

Shadow 7D
July 30, 2009, 06:43 PM
If you call CZ USA you can buy a replacement barrel for the 83 in 9mak, but I believe that the barrels are pressed and pinned so you might need a special setup to change it out.

railroader
July 31, 2009, 01:21 AM
Schmeky, it's a small world. The guy you bought the cz off of I bought a ruger p95 parts kit from him about a month ago. I wanted to convert my blued/decocker safety gun to a stainless decocker only. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=132938414 As for brass I have a bunch of 380 range brass. If you are interested I could give you a very fair price. Mark

marano35
July 31, 2009, 07:00 PM
I like mine a lot. I bought mine when Makarov.com had a special run of them in 9x18 Makarov. About two years later the cz-82's hit the market and I bought one of them also. I recently sold it to a board member as I just did not need two of them. I considered selling the CZ-83 but I like enough that I think I will keep it. They are both great shooters and very accurate. In 9x18 Makarov I actually prefer my Makarov...all three of em.

schmeky
July 31, 2009, 08:00 PM
Received my CZ-83 today. Very solid little gun, smooth right out of the box, just need to find some ammo until my dies and shell plate arrive.

Thanx to all for the responses.

viking499
August 2, 2009, 12:52 AM
I like all those pics. Detail is always good.

PRM
August 2, 2009, 01:46 AM
My CZ 83 in .380 is a tack driver. Got it last Thanksgiving and have been continually impressed with the gun in all aspects. It has also been flawless in function with all types of ammo. Midway has extra high-cap mags for $39.49 http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=126691 .

Had a little trouble finding a high rise pan-cake style holster - Allen's made a custom leather one for me, Carrying and concealing is also easy. They can be reached at.

Allen1941@bellsouth.net

schmeky
August 2, 2009, 05:08 PM
GreasyStool,

Excellent pics and thanks for the loading data. Those expanded .380's are most impressive.

Shadow 7D
August 3, 2009, 03:59 AM
save money

J&G sales has cz 82 mags for 29.95

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ-83 Comments" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!