Another ID my old Smith

PDA

orvpark
July 28, 2009, 10:57 PM
I picked up a .38 S&W today, just trying to get some info on it.

5 shot
Barrel Marked: .38 S&W CTG
Butt Marked: 1208##
Under Barrel on frame marked: MOD 361 or 351?..BUT the 6/5 is stamped over by a 2?
On swingarm that supports cylender it is marked 494##

Forgive me for my incorrect terms.

2.25 or 2.5" barrel, very dark blue (almost black), ramp/notch sights non-adjustable, the grips are white and have a eagle landing picture (probably cheap addons?)

It HAS NOT been converted to .38 Special

Any info on this gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "Another ID my old Smith" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
July 29, 2009, 12:33 AM
Barrel length is properly measured from the muzzle clear back to the front face of the cylinder. Now what do you get?

A five shot .38 S&W with barrel longer than 2" is a Regulation Police, numbered as Model 33 after 1957.

orvpark
July 29, 2009, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the tip, I just eyeballed it.

It is 2" even.

Jim Watson
July 29, 2009, 01:03 AM
OK, a 5 shot .38 S&W with a 2" barrel was known as the Terrier and given the model number 32 in 1958. Early on, it was simply the .38-.32 because it was a .38 caliber on the .32 Hand Ejector frame.

Maybe Old Fuff will look up the actual year yours was made, I don't have the book.

orvpark
July 29, 2009, 01:04 AM
After digging around the net with your "regulation police" tip I stumbled upon the 2" "Terrier" That looks to be what this is. It is post war according to another post here on THR listing serial number ranges.

Looks like I did pretty good on the price anyway. Thanks

EDIT: Beat me too it!

If you enjoyed reading about "Another ID my old Smith" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!