Do you carry a back up gun?

PDA

heavyshooter
July 29, 2009, 12:27 AM
My primary carry weapon holds 9+1 rounds of 40 S&W. I have been considering whether or not I would carry a spare magazine, but I realized that I can pocket carry a back up gun just as easily. My wife thinks that is crazy!!! "Do you really need two guns?" she asks. "Who is after you?" The whole thing got me thinking. How many of you actually carry a BUG on a regular basis (for the sake of this poll let's assume that "regular basis" is at least 75% of the time). I am wondering if I am crazy!;)

Heavy

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you carry a back up gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArfinGreebly
July 29, 2009, 12:49 AM
Heavy, tell us a little about yourself.

How long you been carrying?

How long you been shooting?

How long you been married?

Does your wife shoot?

Now, I might be able to compile all this information by studying your old posts, but that's more time that I can allocate to the task.

Give us a little background.

It will help screen out the silly responses, you know, the "just show her who's boss" answers.

With a little context, the rest of us can give advice that might be not entirely absurd.

Kind of Blued
July 29, 2009, 12:53 AM
I carry a BUG 90% of the time, and 100% of the time that I can get away with it.

Its not a matter of NEEDING two guns, its a matter of NEEDING one gun and being able to access at least one regardless of the situation.

Ex. 1 - When I'm driving, I wear my seatbelt. When I wear my seatbelt, I can't draw a gun that is on my hip.

Ex. 2 - When its cold outside I wear 3-4 layers. When I wear 3-4 layers I can't quickly, consistently, and reliably access a gun that is on my hip. A snubbie in a coat pocket or in a pants pocket can be carried with my hand already on it if I want, and it can be out in almost no time. If "almost" isn't fast enough, I could even shoot through my coat.

I'm convinced that successfully defending yourself with a gun has little to do with caliber and capacity. It has more to do with having a gun out and ready ASAP. Milliseconds count more than millimeters.

On that note, I've taken to carrying my 1911 as a "BUG" while the snubbie or Kahr is carried in my pants pocket or on my ankle during long stints in the car. That way the smaller gun can be used first since its easier to get out. If I'm ever in a self-defense shooting (unlikely) that requires more than five or seven rounds (even more unlikely), I'll just drop the little guy and go to my BUG (the 1911).

Better yet, I could just throw it at the fella once its empty. ;)

Isher
July 29, 2009, 01:06 AM
Dunno -

I carry a 9mm with two spare mags.

It has always seemed enough to me.

After all, once you have burned through

The first 14 rounds, if it ever even gets there,

What purpose does a backup gun serve?

isher

azhunter122
July 29, 2009, 01:12 AM
Nope, I'm proficent and confident with my gun plus I carry a spare mag.

flrfh213
July 29, 2009, 01:55 AM
glock 23. 13 rounds .40 cal. enough said!

ChCx2744
July 29, 2009, 02:01 AM
i carry a glock 20 IWB @ 4 o'clock & glock 26 on the ankle. i usually just carry the two with no spare mags, but if the weather or cargo pockets permit, i will.

armoredman
July 29, 2009, 02:55 AM
Yes, I carry a BUG. Anything mechanical can and will fail, and if it fails at the worst time, I will want something else to cover the "gap". Read Evan Marshalls stuff on BUG and BBUG.

CombatArmsUSAF
July 29, 2009, 08:32 AM
I carry a bug because of the off chance I can't access my primary, it has nothing to do with my trust in my primary's ability to function reliably.

Massad Ayoob brought this idea to me and it truly makes sense. What if you are in a struggle and your strong arm or your gun hip are pinned up against something, making the primary weapon inaccessible?

ruger700
July 29, 2009, 08:47 AM
A BUG is the fastest reload, in addition to being an alternative as mentioned by previous posters. I carry a 1911 commander with a variety of small revovers serving as BUG.

danprkr
July 29, 2009, 08:58 AM
My real issue in answering your poll is that the questions did not address my situation. My life does not allow me to carry a back up gun or for that matter a gun at all sometimes. Not regulations or rules, but situations. It's virtually impossible to keep a weapon concealed when you're going to have to crawl upside down under someones dishwasher or fridge while they're making small talk, and watching you. And, since I don't want a freaked out customer on my hands I leave my weapon in the truck when going into a customer's house. I do however almost always have an extra mag when I carry, and often a BUG somewhere in close proximity like in the truck or office.

smktr8
July 29, 2009, 09:11 AM
I carry one gun if its my glock 17 it has 2 extra mags at 17 rounds so thats 53 rounds I dont think i will every need more then that plus that always in a sholder holster so it evens out the weight. My M&P 9c only has 12 rounds I have one extra clip I carry my glock 26 also with this.

CoRoMo
July 29, 2009, 10:11 AM
Posted by Isher
What purpose does a backup gun serve?

It would be the gun you grab if the primary fails or is located in a spot that you cannot access.

ar10
July 29, 2009, 10:27 AM
Sometimes. When I work the range I always have a small .38spc I carry in my back pocket. On some occasions I'll stick it in my back pocket when I have to travel in the less desirable parts of the city. But most of the time I just carry my XD40 sub.

DMK
July 29, 2009, 11:03 AM
I will never carry an auto without a spare mag. I've seen too may guns fail due to mag problems.

DeepSouth
July 29, 2009, 11:06 AM
Option 5:

Sometimes. Depending on mood, weather, clothing, ect, ect.

Johny
July 29, 2009, 06:00 PM
Back up gun is a good idea, :1: Your main gun jams switch to your BUG :2: Someone grabs it from you and runs. :3: You cant reach one of them.

Erik M
July 29, 2009, 06:12 PM
.38 and a speedloader. If i bought a smaller lighter weapon for the purpose of being a BUG I would probalby make it a primary weapon heh.

sohcgt2
July 29, 2009, 07:33 PM
I carry a G22 strongside IWB and an SP101 weak side ankle, I don't always carry extra ammo.

heavyshooter
July 29, 2009, 07:44 PM
Heavy, tell us a little about yourself.

How long you been carrying?

How long you been shooting?

How long you been married?

Does your wife shoot?

Now, I might be able to compile all this information by studying your old posts, but that's more time that I can allocate to the task.

Give us a little background.

It will help screen out the silly responses, you know, the "just show her who's boss" answers.

With a little context, the rest of us can give advice that might be not entirely absurd.

This is a good idea ArfinGreebly,

1. I have been carrying for about 4 years. The BUG conversation came up because when we moved to Colorado from Texas I did not apply for my Colorado CCW right away. Because of the back log it took almost 7 months to finally get it (it came last week). Because of that I have not been carrying for almost a year. A year is long enough to break a routine and it has resulted in me having to rediscover my most effective carry system. Because of that the question is, "to BUG, or not to BUG." :)

2. I have been shooting for about 25 years. My father was an avid shooter and her started us young.

3. I have been married for 5 years.

4. My wife is a capable shooter (quite impressive in fact) but she is not an avid shooter. She views it a a necessary tool, not a pleasure. She had never fired a weapon until she married me. She wanted a gun that she could shoot (none of mine suited her) because we experienced a home intrusion. She desires a gun for home protection and she keeps her firearm on her side of the bed. Of her own initiative, she goes to the range with me once or twice a year so she can preserve a skillful use of her weopon. But she does not carry. She is cool with me carrying, but sher does not want to.

The thing that got me into trouble was the fact that we were at a restaurant and my pocket knife fell to the floor. For about a half second she thought it was my gun, and she was embarrased. So when I considered carrying a Back-UP gun her immediate question to me was, "Is there something I should know? Are you a spy?" :D ;)

I hope this helps,
Heavy

Kind of Blued
July 30, 2009, 12:18 AM
I've never been married, so bear with me:

Wife: "Why do you want to carry two guns?"
You: "If we're being attacked, what are you going to do? Be my cheerleader? Maybe if you carried one, I wouldn't have to do it for you."

I'll probably never get married. :eek: :D

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
July 30, 2009, 12:50 AM
never, i just don't see the need. i carry 1 that i train with a lot. i also carry 1 spare mag. i figure 28 rnds of .40S&W is more then enough for me to get the hell out of dodge if im in that deep.

i don't get paid to run towards gunfire so i think i carry enough to get away from it.

ArfinGreebly
July 30, 2009, 12:52 AM
Well, Heavy, at least she's knowledgeable and on your side regarding being armed.

I've given a little thought to the BUG idea. My duties don't expose me to any greater hazard than any other ordinary schmoe, so it's not like I feel chronically at risk.

If my daily activities brought me unavoidably into situations where the risk of "encounters" was higher, I might actually take steps to be extra equipped.

Things being what they are, however, I probably won't any time soon.

I do, however, keep a rifle in the truck. No extra effort to carry it. No daily struggle with clothing and rigging. If things get truly stupid, and I can get to the truck, then my "back up" is a long gun with four loaded magazines and plenty of spare ammo.

In order for things to be "truly stupid" though, I'd have to burn through sixteen rounds of 9mm.

If you can pocket-carry a BUG, and that level of preparedness seems appropriate to you, then knock yourself out. If you feel you need to explain it to your wife, just let her know you're "trying it out" to see how much extra trouble it is. Words to that effect.

She doesn't think you're crazy.

She just senses that you may have a little bit of "hobby OCD" and wants to make sure you're not launching into a fantasy land.

Keep it light. No point in being too serious about it.

It might even make some sense for her to practice some with whatever you choose to carry as a BUG. Heck, if you ever have to hand it off to her to deal with something unexpected, it sure wouldn't hurt to have her already know how to run it.

kanewpadle
July 30, 2009, 12:58 AM
I carry a BUG 90% of the time, and 100% of the time that I can get away with it.

Its not a matter of NEEDING two guns, its a matter of NEEDING one gun and being able to access at least one regardless of the situation.

Ex. 1 - When I'm driving, I wear my seatbelt. When I wear my seatbelt, I can't draw a gun that is on my hip.

Ex. 2 - When its cold outside I wear 3-4 layers. When I wear 3-4 layers I can't quickly, consistently, and reliably access a gun that is on my hip. A snubbie in a coat pocket or in a pants pocket can be carried with my hand already on it if I want, and it can be out in almost no time. If "almost" isn't fast enough, I could even shoot through my coat.

I'm convinced that successfully defending yourself with a gun has little to do with caliber and capacity. It has more to do with having a gun out and ready ASAP. Milliseconds count more than millimeters.

On that note, I've taken to carrying my 1911 as a "BUG" while the snubbie or Kahr is carried in my pants pocket or on my ankle during long stints in the car. That way the smaller gun can be used first since its easier to get out. If I'm ever in a self-defense shooting (unlikely) that requires more than five or seven rounds (even more unlikely), I'll just drop the little guy and go to my BUG (the 1911).

Better yet, I could just throw it at the fella once its empty. ;)
Likewise. Couldn't have said better myself.

kanewpadle
July 30, 2009, 12:59 AM
Nope, I'm proficent and confident with my gun plus I carry a spare mag.
A NY reload beats a regular reload anytime my friend.

heavyshooter
July 30, 2009, 01:02 AM
She doesn't think you're crazy.

She just senses that you may have a little bit of "hobby OCD" and wants to make sure you're not launching into a fantasy land.

This is absolutely true. It is almost an exact quote of her words.

It might even make some sense for her to practice some with whatever you choose to carry as a BUG. Heck, if you ever have to hand it off to her to deal with something unexpected, it sure wouldn't hurt to have her already know how to run it.

EXCELLENT ADVICE!!! It may even settle on the issue.

sherman123
July 30, 2009, 01:13 AM
Lately I've been carrying a Ruger p90 in addition to the j frame in my pocket. I love pocket carry for the fact I can already have my hand on it if i suspect trouble. The same goes with driving it's faster to draw the snub than the P90 under my t shirt and seatbelt. It all depends on the situation, which one I can access first. I can't consider either one a BUG right now it just depends. And besides, when the snub only weighs 12 ozs i see even less reason to leave it behind.

ZombieKiller
July 30, 2009, 03:12 AM
Its so hot now-a-days that I just carry my super light weight Ruger LCR with a 5-shot speed loader.

graywolfls
July 30, 2009, 03:55 AM
For me its determined by whether I am on the job or off, On the job its a 1911 right side hip and a Colt officers in sob position, Spare magazines for both, 2 for the 1911 and one for the in the back. All 45 and all Black Talon. I feel if it's serious that you carry, you need to carry fully prepared for all situations. Just in MHO PS off the job 1911 on the hip 380 Sphinx on the left ankle and 2 extra sticks for the 1911

kda
July 30, 2009, 04:01 AM
On foot, I just carry a snub .38. It is so hot and you have to dress so lightly to survive that it is really hard to hide much. But the S&W Airweight makes a great pocket carry so I find I actually carry it 100%. Usually my wife is with me and she carries also so maybe she could be considered my backup ( as I am to her ). She is a dead shot with a revolver, so I know she is reliable.

In the vehicle, I keep a Ruger 9 mm single stack in the map pocket in the driver side door so I don't have to worry about drawing from my pocket with my seat belt fastened.

Mr. Bojangles
July 30, 2009, 08:38 AM
Carrying a BUG is a good idea. I realize I will probably get a lot of flak for this but, especially during the summer, it is tough to carry one concealed firearm, let alone two. I would love to hear good ideas on how to reasonably carry two firearms without having sweat pouring off of me during summer months due to excessive clothing.

22-rimfire
July 30, 2009, 10:05 AM
I feel fortunate that I can carry anything at all other than a knife. My job does occasionally take me into places that make me nervous. Many of the people I deal with are felons or would be felons.

If I were really concerned about it, I would carry a bug and never look back. I'm no fighter. When you get tired of it, stop. It is a pretty free country. Tis my advice.

heavyshooter
July 30, 2009, 02:48 PM
I would love to hear good ideas on how to reasonably carry two firearms without having sweat pouring off of me during summer months due to excessive clothing.

Wow, I feel bad for you guys. The summers in Denver are pretty managable (I may be saying that because I was born and raised in sweltering Texas). As I type this post it is 55 degrees outside; on July 30th!!! :) A subcompact inside the waisteband and a pocket pistol BUG are quite managable.

Heavy

HardShell
July 30, 2009, 02:52 PM
I have been CCWing for 25+ years and have carried a dedicated pocket-gun/BUG (front right pocket) almost that long.

I carry my primary 99% of the time that I am not in the office, but I carry my "BUG" 99% of the time, period. (Chalk that 1% up to the small amount of time I spend in courthouses and on military bases.) It goes into my pocket first thing in the morning as a matter of routine, just like my wallet or keys -- and comes out last thing at night, just the same.

I always carry a spare mag for any gun I'm carrying -- a magazine is usually much more likely to fail you than the firearm itself, and I don't ever want to suddenly discover that I am holding a very nice manually-operated single-shot pistol. ;)

happygeek
July 30, 2009, 04:25 PM
In the vehicle, I keep a Ruger 9 mm single stack in the map pocket in the driver side door so I don't have to worry about drawing from my pocket with my seat belt fastened.

You're not worried about car break ins? I'm only 24 years old, and I've already experienced my car being broken in to. Granted it wasn't parked in the best part of town at the time, but still. Luckily the punk either wasn't as good at hot wiring as he was at jimmying car doors or he just didn't know how to drive a 5 speed manual. I just ended up losing maybe $20 worth of misc. stuff that was in the car at the time.

theotherwaldo
July 30, 2009, 04:54 PM
Depends on what you mean by back-up. I rarely have more than one gun on my person, but I usually have more than one gun within easy access - well, everywhere but at work. Then I just make do with extra loads.

Public libraries are kinda hinky that way.

mljdeckard
July 30, 2009, 07:12 PM
I don't, but I don't make fun of people who do. When you have to draw to protect your life, it means that a lot of things are going wrong all at once. If your gun is going to fail for....whatever reason you can imagine, THIS is when it's going to happen. If we carry sidearms in the first place because we live in a cruel unfair world where bad things happen to good people, then it doesn't make any less sense to carry a backup.

The reason I don't carry one is practicality. If you have two guns, this means you have just exponentially expanded the permutations of things that can go wrong. Which gun do I grab, does it have the same manual of arms as my primary gun, should I reload my primary or grab the backup, you have to keep TWO guns secure at all times instead of just one, things like this. When I go to school, I have a bag of books, a laptop, a carry gun spare mags, a flashlight, usually winter clothes, knife, cell phone, Leatherman. Sometimes I'll go straight from school to take the kids shopping. I don't see myself REALLY needing a backup gun with all the other crap I take regularly.

inSight-NEO
July 30, 2009, 07:42 PM
I dont carry a BUG right now...but I probably will (Im thinking a 2 1/2" to 3" barrel .357....ankle carry).

Nothing wrong at all with a "New York reload" if necessary.

Logos
July 30, 2009, 08:01 PM
I don't, but I could.

Even in hot and humid weather, the Cabela's "Seven-Pocket Hiker" shorts that I wear have commodious front pockets. They seem designed for pocket-carry.

If you need long pants they have long pants with the same big front pockets.

So, I could easily carry a Smith 5-shot in each front pocket.

But I don't.....I usually stick with my Glock 26 and no extra mag in summer.

In winter there are all kinds of options.

skoro
July 30, 2009, 10:37 PM
No...

But I'm a very unlikely target.

I think anyone working in LE, security, or some high-risk occupation would be well advised to carry a bug, though.

Landpimp
August 1, 2009, 06:30 PM
I do a reverse back up, I always have a 340PD in my pocket, my back up is a USPc 45 or S&W 19 2.5 or HK P7M8

all those are backups to a rifle....or till I get to one ;)

The Lone Haranguer
August 1, 2009, 06:33 PM
If you wear a heavy winter coat, it is pretty difficult to reach a belt holstered gun under it. A small gun in the coat pocket is always within easy reach. In this case, your backup becomes your primary. :)

LRaccuracy
August 1, 2009, 08:20 PM
I only carry a back-up gun when I am working..

win71
August 1, 2009, 09:15 PM
What type of practice drills do you guys use and what do you do with your shot out primary when you draw and fire your secondary?

Dr_2_B
August 1, 2009, 09:59 PM
I don't call someone paranoid who carries a bug. But I don't carry one. I do carry backup ammo. It seems most people who carry backup are more concerned about equipment failure than anything else... and I don't blame them.

S&W-Keeper
August 2, 2009, 12:31 AM
If I was a cop sure, but since I am not, no I don't carry a backup. If I need a backup, I don't need to be there.

Bishop.357
August 2, 2009, 07:06 AM
My main carry gun is a SA XD40sc,it holds 1in the pipe and 9 in the clip,with it I have 2 spare extended mags that hold 12rds each;I keep my XD40 on my person at all times;even at home. As for my back-up peice I carry a S&W 640-3 .357 magnum,along with 2 speed strips;that gives me 15rds altogether for my back-up. What I have listed here is the bare minimum of what I carry everytime I leave the house,no exceptions.

RDak
August 2, 2009, 08:58 AM
Couldn't cast a vote because I do not feel people who carry a Bug gun are paranoid.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you carry a back up gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!