No-shot stoppers?

PDA

ArmedBear
July 29, 2009, 01:29 PM
Okay there's a lot that's been written and said about one-shot stops.

What about no-shot stops?;)

Seriously, what firearms (or other weapons, or other in-the-moment measures) are most likely to stop a crime without a shot fired?

I'm not talking about overall crime prevention like avoiding bad areas or dark parking lots, or locking your doors. I'm specifically thinking about what will stop a crime that is taking place, or about to take place.

Are there guns that an attacker will laugh at until he actually gets shot?

Are there guns that make the most hardened rapist turn and run, more than others?

Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "No-shot stoppers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vern Humphrey
July 29, 2009, 01:33 PM
In the instance someone tried to mug me, my M1911 seemed to impress him considerably.

THE DARK KNIGHT
July 29, 2009, 01:37 PM
Chances are a gun scary enough to make a no-shot stop is also scary enough to get your "victim" quite a hefty civil suit against you

GRIZ22
July 29, 2009, 01:38 PM
Seriously, what firearms (or other weapons, or other in-the-moment measures) are most likely to stop a crime without a shot fired?

I remember Skeeter Skelton relating overhearing someone asking a Texas Ranger what kind of handgun they should get for HD. The response was "the biggest handgun you can find and nickel plate so you know they'll see it".

Vern Humphrey
July 29, 2009, 01:40 PM
Chances are a gun scary enough to make a no-shot stop is also scary enough to get your "victim" quite a hefty civil suit against you
If you don't fire the gun, and if you call 911 on your cell phone and report you've been attacked, what's he going to sue you for?

NoAlibi
July 29, 2009, 01:56 PM
THE DARK KNIGHT

I'm not quite sure about your remark. Do you mean that if a situation that warranted you presenting your gun that you should shoot him because "dead men tell no tales" or did you mean that even though the situation warranted it that you should not present your gun as a possible means of discouraging any further action? Or???

Cosmoline
July 29, 2009, 01:59 PM
Twelve pound Napoleon ought to do the trick. Just stand there with the slow match and I suspect you'll have full cooperation.

ArmedBear
July 29, 2009, 02:00 PM
I think I know what TDK is getting at.

Whip out a Smith 500 and it will probably scare the crap out of someone. But he could sue you if you shot him with it.

A couple of problems with that...

1. CCW of one of those things is unlikely.
2. If you shoot someone at point blank range with one, and he sues you, you are a REALLY bad shot.

But, seriously, there have been reports here about armed robbers turning and fleeing at the sight of a 642. Clearly it doesn't take something huge.

I do wonder, though, if, say, a NAA Mini would scare someone off, or if he'd just look at it and wonder what it was.

preachnhunt
July 29, 2009, 02:05 PM
A laser on his chest may help convince him.

RP88
July 29, 2009, 02:10 PM
I'd imagine any gun that shoots a bullet can scare off an attacker.

Jon_Snow
July 29, 2009, 02:20 PM
Any gun can stop a crime without a shot being fired, but as for most likely, I'd place my money on a pump action shotgun.

Vern Humphrey
July 29, 2009, 02:25 PM
Whip out a Smith 500 and it will probably scare the crap out of someone. But he could sue you if you shot him with it.
How would he be more able to sue you than if you shot him with a .25 ACP?

Carl
July 29, 2009, 02:26 PM
I'm pretty sure the action of reaching for a handgun in many cases might make them begin to think twice before even seeing it.

Tripacer
July 29, 2009, 02:28 PM
"Twelve pound Napoleon ought to do the trick. Just stand there with the slow match and I suspect you'll have full cooperation."

In case cooperation is not forthcoming, a double load of canister would discourage any further confrontational dialogue. A cord attached to a friction primer instead of a "slow match" would achieve instantaneous results.

Mags
July 29, 2009, 02:30 PM
The situation should not warrant for you to present your gun It should always warrant for you to shoot the bad guy, unless the situation improves for you after presentation. So in a few words:
You should not draw your weapon to wave it around unless you were prepared to pull the trigger.

JohnBT
July 29, 2009, 02:32 PM
I worked a few summers for a tree service back in the late '60s & missed going to Woodstock, too. 70 hours a week with time and a half overtime was good pay for a fairly skinny teenager.

One week we were working a contract at Fort McNair in D.C. and I had my dump truck pulled up on the curb and grass blocking 2 feet of a narrow 2-lane road with no shoulders. This huge guy in a step van/bread truck kept blowing his horn and gesturing rudely at me because the heavy traffic wouldn't let him get by.

Finally, it being hot and humid in D.C. and tree work being rather taxing, I flipped him off. I figured out how big he was when he got out of the truck and came at me saying mean things. :eek:

He got to within maybe 20 feet before I realized I was holding a running chainsaw with a 30" bar. :) Then he realized it and called off the confrontation.

John

kidrice
July 29, 2009, 02:35 PM
How would he be more able to sue you than if you shot him with a .25 ACP?
I think what he was getting at....is if you shoot someone with a SW500, there is no way he would survive to sue you. So if you shoot him and he sues you, then he's alive and that means you missed.

DeepSouth
July 29, 2009, 02:36 PM
Are there guns that an attacker will laugh at until he actually gets shot?

Pink ones and maybe a NAA Mini

Are there guns that make the most hardened rapist turn and run, more than others?

This one. (http://www.raoulpop.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/punt-gun-washington-dc.jpg)

:neener::neener:

Eyesac
July 29, 2009, 02:37 PM
I was holding a running chainsaw with a 30" bar.

Haha! New thread: What bar lube for self defense?

Deltaboy
July 29, 2009, 02:37 PM
Smart man only a Fool wants to dance with a Chainsaw. I pointed a 357 Colt Trooper III at a man who was coming into my house one day in college and he got gone real fast.

HKUSP45C
July 29, 2009, 02:38 PM
The situation should not warrant for you to present your gun It should always warrant for you to shoot the bad guy, unless the situation improves for you after presentation. So in a few words:
You should not draw your weapon to wave it around unless you were prepared to pull the trigger.

While I agree with your last sentence I would add, you shouldn't carry a gun unless you're prepared to use it.

In Texas presenting a firearm is "force" but not "deadly force."

In other words you can meet the assailants force (or imminent force) with the presentation of your gun with no ill legal effects.

I have no idea what TDK meant by his statement but it sounds odd in the way it's worded. Civil suits for the use of force in Texas (and virtually all of the rest of the country) are nearly unheard of. In fact Texas just took the ability to win a civil suit for the justified use of deadly force away from the "victim" or the guy that got shot and his family\friends.

I love this state.

Nate1778
July 29, 2009, 02:41 PM
The racking of a 12 gauge has a pretty intimidating sound, one that is not easily mistaken. Specially when your sneaking through a house.

Cosmoline
July 29, 2009, 02:55 PM
A cord attached to a friction primer instead of a "slow match" would achieve instantaneous results.

You're one of those radical Whiggish levelers, then.

rbernie
July 29, 2009, 03:01 PM
Maybe we can try this again some other time, when folk are capable of addressing the OP.

If you enjoyed reading about "No-shot stoppers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!