Got a chuckle from Sportsman's Guide Catalog - Counter Sniper Scopes

PDA

lipadj46
July 29, 2009, 08:07 PM
I was browsing the Sportsman's Guide today just procrastinating from grading a mountain of papers and I see that Counter Sniper Scopes are now USGI and you can get the 3-25x56 model with "14 total lenses" for the bargain basement price of $689.97. They originally cost the US government $2,997.99!!!, what a deal!

I had forgotten about Counter Sniper and figured they had just gone out of business by now. Who buys these things? Their website is good for a chuckle. The specs read like they are straight out of a bad sci-fi novel, 24-step Bertrillium-Zantitium coatings, Hydroshear ice displacement coating, rare earth sealed, viton sealed etc. Also check out that reticle, total awesomeness.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got a chuckle from Sportsman's Guide Catalog - Counter Sniper Scopes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
matrem
July 29, 2009, 08:19 PM
I get a chuckle from them every time one of their catalogs show up in my mailbox.Haven't bought anything from them for eleven or twelve years? But they're very persistent!

USSR
July 29, 2009, 09:50 PM
Who buys these things?

There's a sucker born every minute.;)

Don

R.W.Dale
July 29, 2009, 09:54 PM
What good is a scope to me that can only be used to shoot other snipers.

Ol` Joe
July 29, 2009, 11:12 PM
I had forgotten about these guys and figured they had just gone out of business by now. Who buys these things? Their website is good for a chuckle. The specs read like they are straight out of a bad sci-fi novel, 24-step Bertrillium-Zantitium coatings, Hydroshear ice displacement coating, rare earth sealed, viton sealed etc. Also check out that reticle, total awesomeness.

Every time I thumb one of these I`m reminded of the old Herters catalog.

Herters claimed every item was "claimed best of the best by the only top pro who knew up from down in the field", "voted perfect in every way by professional African trackers", "made of the finest steels processed by the lost art of the pharohs own smiths".
I loved reading them and dreaming big dreams as a kid....:D:D

Roadwild17
July 29, 2009, 11:12 PM
I looked at these things 2 times at gun shows before I looked them up online. Funny thing, they never have a price on them at the gun show. Its always a "This is a $3000 scope, but we can give it to you for about $850 today only." yeah right

Mags
July 29, 2009, 11:30 PM
Just got the SG shooters catalog in the mail today, I have never ordered from them don't know why I get em but they just go in the bathroom for a quick look through every now and then. I did see the scope mentioned in the catalog the recticle looked to busy too me.

nwilliams
July 30, 2009, 12:19 AM
You mean this one:rolleyes:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/us-military-3-25x56-mm-crusader-scope-covert-matte-black-hardcoat.aspx?a=556346

You know that as soon as you install this scope on your rifle you automatically turn into a sniper with all the skills you need;)

I love descriptions like these....
Now we "civvies" can nab this rare offer of military overruns at mind-boggling savings! Choose your power: the 3-25x56 mm, 3-9x42 mm or the 2-16x44 mm Tactical Scope.

Covert Matte Black Hardcoat

It makes me feel tacticool just reading it!

THE MACHINIST
July 30, 2009, 12:26 AM
someone buy one and tell us how it performs!!!!! hahahah....good bathroom reading along with the jc whitney or harbor freight catalog.

Dr.Rob
July 30, 2009, 12:57 AM
Aw come on you know you bought stuff or you wouldn't keep GETTING the catalogs.

JohnnyOrygun
July 30, 2009, 01:42 AM
I bet Gecko45 has one:evil:! Honestly that is so tacticool that us regular civilians could never use it to it's fullest potential... btw, I would probably get shot my the enemy sniper while I was trying to figure out that reticle! :barf:

Oh well, you know the saying... "A fool and his money are soon parted"

JohnnyOrygun

Ratshooter
July 30, 2009, 01:48 AM
Yep those are some of the best "sittin on the pot" catalogs you can get. Too bad the slick paper isn't more "User friendly".

slzy
July 30, 2009, 01:48 AM
5,000x the force of gravity sounds good to me

lipadj46
July 30, 2009, 01:49 AM

I bought a pair of nice gore tex camo bibs for $19 last spring. So that is why I always look, it ain't like the good old days of russian and US surplus though.

slzy
July 30, 2009, 03:27 AM
i bought a brand new soviet era mine detector,with about a 9' extension or so that works under water.

i loaned it to my metal detecting friends who says it works great.

bensdad
July 30, 2009, 04:08 AM
Yowza!!! I had a siezure just looking at that reticle. That's, um, busy. Sportsman's Guide also recently had, I kid you not, Tactical Coffee.

jim in Anchorage
July 30, 2009, 04:19 AM
Every time I thumb one of these I`m reminded of the old Herters catalog.

Herters claimed every item was "claimed best of the best by the only top pro who knew up from down in the field", "voted perfect in every way by professional African trackers", "made of the finest steels processed by the lost art of the pharohs own smiths".I loved reading them and dreaming big dreams as a kid....

I am going to shamlessly copy that:D

R.W.Dale
July 30, 2009, 05:29 AM
What does one mount a counter sniper scope on????

why your counter sniper rifle of course
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=134795037
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=134704850
in urban and ultimate varieties, coming to a tactical wheelbarrow near you

JimmAr
July 30, 2009, 05:59 AM
What happens when your counter sniper scope fails and you get sniped.. can your next of kin get a refund?

krs
July 30, 2009, 09:12 AM
In defense of Sportsman's Guide - They buy up closeouts, last years fashions, factory seconds, and the remaining inventory of businesses gone under and sell them at discounts.

If this scope doesn't sell, they'll keep marking it down until it does so you all will eventually be able to buy one for about $50. if they're not all gone at $100. :)

Mr. Bojangles
July 30, 2009, 09:24 AM
The scope is absolutely laughable :what:

I still buy other things from sportsmans guide, though. Their surplus ammo is reasonably priced by today's standards. It's better than some other catalog companies that have completely absurd prices on ammo. You all know who I'm talking about.

lipadj46
July 30, 2009, 09:24 AM
In defense of Sportsman's Guide - They buy up closeouts, last years fashions, factory seconds, and the remaining inventory of businesses gone under and sell them at discounts.

That's what they used to be, now they sell regular stocked items also (see the latest model EOTechs). Hopefully these things are closeouts though. Though if there are people out there that fall for all that BS I guess they deserve it.

DMK
July 30, 2009, 09:27 AM
I get a chuckle from them every time one of their catalogs show up in my mailbox.Haven't bought anything from them for eleven or twelve years? But they're very persistent!+1
I give them props for creativity and amusing product descriptions.

I used to buy ammo from them and some milsurp accessories like holsters and mag pouches, but haven't in about four or five years.

DeepSouth
July 30, 2009, 09:35 AM
I'll admit it. I buy ammo and targets from them all the they almost always have the lowest price on AK ammo and IPSC targets around. Every now and then I buy something else from them, you just gotta learn to ignore all the "sales tactics" they use.

Bottom line, If I'm looking for a specific item I'll look to see if they have it and compare prices.

SFilpansick
July 30, 2009, 09:47 AM
Actually guys... most of that description comes right from the manufacturer!

http://www.countersniperoptics.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=58&idp=0&his=0&cart_id=9099121.8480

Ratshooter
July 30, 2009, 11:37 AM
After all the joking about them I do thumb through their catalogs. Every once in a while they have a good deal. I bought three of the Mora knives. They were $10 each. Its a good sharp knife for the price.

I also bought some of the Armscor 22 mag ammo when it was on sale. I made two orders and got 4000 rounds. This ammo shoots to the same point of aim as the 40 gr winchester. Groups at less than 2" at a hundred yards and has never failed to fire or split a case like the winchesters sometimes do. Plus I got it for $5.75 a box and had some $10 coupons that went towards the shipping cost. All in all a pretty good deal.

mp5a3
July 30, 2009, 11:58 AM
I love the catalogs, and the $10 coupon cuts shipping in half for me. I haven't bought ammo there in a while but when Lake City 5.56 was around $300/1000 I bought 4000 rounds or so. A few years ago they had Fiocchi 115gr 9mm (brass cased) for $140 $1000. I bought probably 6000 rounds. Also bought American Eagle for around $160 per 1000. I still have all of it.

TexasRifleman
July 30, 2009, 12:02 PM
Looks like they were submitted for some Gov't bid..... and lost.....

LIMITED availability of initial contract/eval/designate production runs, Aluminum only, may show minor mounting marks.

cougar1717
July 30, 2009, 04:01 PM
That has to be one of the most ridiculously "tacticool" things I have ever seen. I've ordered some things from the SG before. There are some substantial deals on quality merchandise, but they also carry low quality merchandise. And forget about those "compare at" prices. I don't know how that gets calculated, but I can never seem to find any company selling an item for anywhere near the compare price. I can see why Crusader may have lost a government contract - nothing on that scope is simple. It has three knobs, a recticle that needs a scientific calculator to operate, and made with materials from a Battlestar Galactica movie. What really makes me laugh is this (other than a 2lb, 26oz. scope): I would really like to see someone shoulder the flattop in the picture. Whoever does this would probably not be able to shoot this rifle since their eye would be really close to the lens. Without any sort of extension mount, how would you shoot an AR using a scope that is that long? With regular rings on a flattop, a scope of about 11"-12" is about the longest scope that the average person can comfortably shoot. The shortest of these scopes is 13-3/4".

lipadj46
July 30, 2009, 06:01 PM
Actually guys... most of that description comes right from the manufacturer!

I know I was making fun of Counter Sniper, though I can't believe SG would stoop so low to print that trash. They had no business trying to get a military contract in the first place, they try to make them sound as if they are made in the USA but the are not. Read this sweet quote from their about us page:

Titanium Line is the only tactical riflescope in the world UNCONDITIONALLY warranted for life. Battle damage, bomb damage, even bullet impacts are covered. If it is damaged unworkable, send it to us and we will fix it or give you a new one.

CounterSniper Military Optical Gunsights Corp is Headquartered in Rochester NY, the imaging capital of the world. Long a primary Soviet nuclear impact target due to the creation of optical sighting systems for satellites, spy planes and now digital imaging devices, it is home to some of the premier optical creation, coating and imaging companies.

Bomb damage and bullet impacts are covered!

mljdeckard
July 30, 2009, 06:13 PM
I mean it is bull, right? I think S&B and Leopold pretty much have the exclusives on sniper optics, don't they?

I'm going to stifle a snicker if I ever actually see someone with one of these things.

lipadj46
July 30, 2009, 06:17 PM
It's the most crazilicious bull***** I have ever read. I thought it was a joke website when I first saw it a while back. It's almost like the guy running it is delusional. I was just surprised they are still kicking around, though if they are being sold in SG hopefully that means they are being liquidated.

Fburgtx
July 30, 2009, 06:27 PM
I mean it is bull, right? I think S&B and Leopold pretty much have the exclusives on sniper optics, don't they?

Yeah, but does S&B's warranty cover battle and bomb damage and bullet impacts???

Does the Counter Sniper warranty only apply to the original owner??? I mean, what if I die from a bomb blast AND my scope is damaged??? Will my heirs be able to get my Counter Sniper scope serviced for free???

lipadj46
July 30, 2009, 09:55 PM
Does the Counter Sniper warranty only apply to the original owner??? I mean, what if I die from a bomb blast AND my scope is damaged??? Will my heirs be able to get my Counter Sniper scope serviced for free???

Some things we may never know.

vulturez
August 22, 2009, 09:55 PM
Maybe I have read these posts incorrectly, but it appears to me that everyone giving negative reviews "DOES NOT OWN ONE OF THESE SCOPES" and is just surmising that these are a "POS". So it would be nice to actually hear one of you astute knowledgeable individuals give a real review who actually owns one.

I actually bought one from SG and think that it is a quality build and have not found anything indicative of the comments given. Now I will admit I was/am a bit skeptical as well, but from all first impressions with regard to price to quality ratio, this is a well made scope equal to the amount of money paid. And no, I do not consider the high cost attributed to military contract scopes and the reduced price for an "over run" as a real world truism. I am simply saying that for the price ($242.00) for a 3x9x42 scope advertised, from all appearances, is not a bad deal and worth the money.

Just my two cents worth from someone that ACTUALLY OWNS one.

vulturez
September 18, 2009, 10:41 PM
I am not sure where this thread was suppose to go, however I have two points;
Sportsman's Guide has some very good deals and if you do your due diligence, some very good products. As far as the "Countersniper Crusader" scope goes, it is not a POS as some (who apparently do not own or have never seen or handled one) describe it to be. Yes, the advertisement is hype, however the scope itself and for the price advertised is actually not a bad value. And yes, I did buy one not believing the hype and have found the scope to be a very well made with bright and clear optics scope. Definitely worth the money spent. When you think about the absurdly advertised prices of what the government may have originally paid for these, yes it is probably BS; but then again, think about what the government paid for toilet seats and hammers....... JMHO

R.W.Dale
September 18, 2009, 10:55 PM
You do realize this thread is dead and there's no bigger forum faux paux than replying to your own posts?

Uncle Mike
September 18, 2009, 11:54 PM
Well, I still think the same guy that wrote the star trek episodes writes their catalog descriptions... or maybe it was the twilight zone writer...picture this...a man...a Sportsman Guide catalog...his wallet empty.

The Deer Hunter
September 19, 2009, 12:13 AM
I know I can find all the cool things to bolt on my shotgun in The Sportsman's Guide.

paintballdude902
September 19, 2009, 12:19 AM
what THATS IT!!! i must go buy now

ive gotten some crap from them now and then i needed a pair of boots to screw up so i got them from them for all of 20 bucks ive gotten little crap like that from them but never anything im gonna wanna use for a long time

cchris
September 20, 2009, 02:14 PM
Long a primary Soviet nuclear impact target due to the creation of optical sighting systems for satellites, spy planes and now digital imaging devices, it is home to some of the premier optical creation, coating and imaging companies.

There's nothing funny about this. Try being one yourself. I am such an excellent shooter that more than 33 countries have made my house a nuclear missle target for fear that the government might recruit me ;)

Battle damage, bomb damage, even bullet impacts are covered.

Sounds like one might see how well "covered" it is if it happens to end up downrange as a target :D

jon_in_wv
September 20, 2009, 05:47 PM
# Shockproof to more than 5,000 times the force of gravity
# Diopter range -3.5 to +3.5
# HydroShear™ water / ice displacement coating
# DustCaster™ Ion-charge for anti-static dust displacement
# TitaniStar™ 68 Rockwell mil.-spec anti-scratch coating
# Proprietary rare earth sealed / nitrogen gas purged
# Tri-color red, green, black variable intensity mil dot reticle
# Forged aircraft aluminum alloy, 30 mm milled body
# Internally pressurized, Viton sealed, mil.-spec immersion tested

hee hee hee hee hee

P.B.Walsh
September 20, 2009, 06:56 PM
^^^^^hehehehehehehehe:):):)

Vern Humphrey
September 20, 2009, 07:30 PM
They'll have to go a long way to beat the Horus scope -- that one had a reticle with so many markings you couldn't see through it, and it was supposed to be hooked up to a laptop computer. Just what I need on a deer stand.:D

Gunnerpalace
September 20, 2009, 08:00 PM
Uhhh.

So anybody actually try this? cause the maker charges 2000 bucks for a new one, AKA I think they might not be half bad.

ants
September 20, 2009, 08:31 PM
Geez, I always thought a Counter Sniper scope was for taking out the idiot at the gun counter when he tells you for the umpteenth time that Colt is closed up and out of business, this is the last Colt, there won't be any more when this one is gone. Or was that Winchester?

C-grunt
September 21, 2009, 05:43 AM
Someone please look here at the link that SFilpansick put up and tell me Im not seeing things.....
http://www.countersniperoptics.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=58&idp=0&his=0&cart_id=9099121.8480

Is that a 7,100 dollar rifle scope?

Man I have heard the advice to spend as much on a scope as the rifle, but I didnt know that applied to the Barrett semi .50s as well?

usmc1371
September 21, 2009, 05:58 AM
Honestly, if I have a sniper problem I would much rather have a counter sniper A10 wart hog than a super bad ass scope at a bargin price.

C-grunt
September 21, 2009, 06:57 AM
Amen brother. We had a rocket problem once on our FOB. The Airforce's "counter artillery" JDAMs worked a lot better than our patrols did.

Afy
September 21, 2009, 09:08 AM

yes... sniper optics. This is counter-sniper...

qajaq59
September 21, 2009, 10:16 AM
I bought one and now I'll be the perfect sniper. Ahhhh.... What's a trigger? ;)

Mandolin
September 21, 2009, 10:23 AM
So, do you use Extreme Shock or DRT ammo in conjunction with this scope? And what gun? XM8, the wondergun that melts? or how about anything H&K?

dogngun
September 22, 2009, 08:45 AM
in Europe and an overcoat from some other army in europe. Both were very good investments, and I still use them.
I have also bought ammo from them, and have had no problems with it.
They are entertaining to read, especially the Surplus catalog.

FWIW, I probably got on someone's mailing list - I get stuff from Cheaper Than Dirt and several others I never bought from and OutDoor Life magazing which I never ordered.

mark

Vern Humphrey
September 22, 2009, 10:56 AM
I bought a down king-size quilt at a very good price. It was backordered, and they kept apologizing. When I finally got the quilt, there was a coupon and a catalog. In the catalog was a Dutch Army "Trii-laminate" (same as Gore-tex) coat, and wonders of wonders, available in size Large. I got the coat for free. I wear it all the time.

Ranb
September 22, 2009, 11:45 AM
The ad claims "Condition: brand new, never issued. May show minor mounting marks. May be U.S. Gov. Property marked." I guess this means it is actually a used scope. :)

Ranb

tobyking8773
September 23, 2009, 03:12 AM
...maybe you should have some actual experience w/ one. Otherwise you just sound like a little baby who doesn't have what they can't afford...

Thank you Vulturez for your "hands on testimony". Your post is really the only one worth the bandwidth it's occupying.:)

BTW -Midway also sells them. Don't hear any Midway bashing in this thread.... :confused: :rolleyes:

MachIVshooter
September 23, 2009, 10:35 AM
tobyking8773-

The rings that come with the scope are all I need to see to tell that it's a mediocre optic being marketed to fools. These things are probably made by the same chinese company that builds Barska; not terrible, but they're $50-$300 scopes, not $7k.

Proprietary-230-+485°F stable Bertrillium-Zantitium™ multicoated optics

Just in case you're counter-sniping on Venus.

MarineOne
September 23, 2009, 11:25 AM
What happens when your counter sniper scope fails and you get sniped.. can your next of kin get a refund?

No, you call out "Sniper no sniping!" three times. At that point he can't snipe you, LOL! :rolleyes:

Kris

vulturez
September 24, 2009, 08:56 AM
Well, rings did not come with the scope (unless purchased separately) so which ever one you allegedly saw/handled may have had some other manufactured rings on it.

If anyone took the time to notice, there are three types of scopes advertised on the CounterSniper Optics site:

DOH331
*CONTRACT OVERRUN* CSO Aluminum Series 3-9x42 $299.95

DOH356
3/9-42 Aluminum Apochromatic ELD Gunsight $1149.00

DOH342
3/9x42 Titanium Aspheric Gunsight $2279.00

The ones advertised on the SG and Midway sites are the "Contract Overrun" Aluminum Series.

So the hype everyone seems to be talking about should now be resolved, right? Probably not..........

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 24, 2009, 09:48 AM
I'm pretty sure that reticle also plays two and a half men down in one corner to entertain you while you're searching for enemy snipers.

By the way, the ENTIRE Sportsman's Guide catalog reads like an over-the-top novel for teenagers... just take a look at their descriptions of anything - for example, some of their crossbows are touted to give "William Tell-like accuracy!"; on and on.

vulturez
September 25, 2009, 07:28 AM
Well, inform yourself then. The scopes I referred to do not have the "overcrowded" reticle. They are what they are, take them or leave them, or do your own discovery.

Sportsmansguide bills itself as "fun to read" catalog so that is why you get the descriptions you see. So again, take them for what they are and focus on the actual product and price. Do your own "due diligence" and make your decision from that point.

Sometimes when you look past the cover of the book, you actually can be enlightened.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got a chuckle from Sportsman's Guide Catalog - Counter Sniper Scopes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!