Tapco for an AK, what is the consensus?

PDA

jon_in_wv
July 29, 2009, 11:01 PM
Alright, I'm sure this has been done before. But I would like an adjustable stock for my Saiga AK to replace the KVAR stock that is currently on it. What is the deal. Is the Tapco T6 stock crap or not?!?! I hear so much conflicting crap. If you HAVE one, what do you think of it? How sturdy is it? Or is it worth getting a good adapter and installing a AR15 stock instead? I love my Saiga but the KVAR stock on it isn't the greatest and I would like the adjust ability of the M4 style stock and a rubber butt pad for more secure shooting. Let me know what you think.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tapco for an AK, what is the consensus?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Z-Michigan
July 29, 2009, 11:09 PM
I have one but it's not yet installed. It's O-K, not great. Personally I would learn to live with a fixed length stock. If you must have adjustable and want quality, I'd get the AR stock adapter.

vit
July 29, 2009, 11:12 PM
I had the adapter and it sucked, cheek weld was too high and I couldn't even get my head low enough to see irons. The T-4 is angled down and is a bit better in this regard, but the position of your head changes as you change stock length.

Maverick223
July 29, 2009, 11:14 PM
I DO NOT have one, but the ones I have played with felt really flimsy. I have not actually seen one break, but I got the impression that I wouldn't have to try hard to do so. :)

nalioth
July 29, 2009, 11:24 PM
One gets what one pays for.

Yes, they're lifetime warranted, but . . .

jon_in_wv
July 29, 2009, 11:34 PM
Ace sells as adapter that looks like its steel or aluminum. It looks pretty sturdy. Its $50 bucks and a AR stock should be cheap enough to score. Do you think that would be a better deal?

Maverick223
July 30, 2009, 12:06 AM
Do you think that would be a better deal?Not familiar with the Ace that you are referring to (do you mind linking to it?)...but the following links include a couple examples of retrofit kits (not complete) with aluminum tubes... Vltor (http://www.vltor.com/accessory.htm) & CAA (http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=194&cID=57). I haven't actually seen either of the above but they appear to be well constructed, however they don't come cheap. :)

THE DARK KNIGHT
July 30, 2009, 12:10 AM
The TAPCO stock is inferior to the KVAR. If you want a quality adjustable stock, get the adapter. The TAPCO one is just cheesy.

benEzra
July 30, 2009, 12:10 AM
There are a lot of people over on Warrior Talk who run AK's hard, and the consensus over there seems to be that the Tapco stock is a little fragile, with the Ace adapter + a regular AR stock being a better approach.

Having said that, if you do not foresee having to whack things with the butt of the rifle or doing a lot of climbing, jumping, or tumbling with it, then that may not be an issue for you.

I do have a Tapco Galil-style forend on my own AK, so I don't have anything against Tapco, BTW. I have a Romanian sidefolder buttstock, though.

jon_in_wv
July 30, 2009, 01:23 AM
My AK is in my possession just for the things I DON"T forsee. So I want it set up for hard use.

I plan on getting on of the new intrafuse hand guards for mine..

SimpleIsGood229
July 30, 2009, 01:34 AM
I have the T-6 on my Saiga, but I really don't like it due to the drop (as vit mentioned above). I simply cannot get a good cheek weld with this setup. I would definitely go with the Vltor (milspec diameter) or CAA (commercial diameter) one-piece block/tube.

I figured I would save some money by getting the Tapco T-6/Magpul CTR combo from AIM Surplus for $111.11. As it turns out, I should have sprung for the Vltor block/tube in the first place (like I knew I should have in the first place). :rolleyes:

Maverick223
July 30, 2009, 02:11 AM
My AK is in my possession just for the things I DON"T forsee. So I want it set up for hard use.What you want is a Ace Skeleton Stock ...with or without a folding mechanism...they are built really well and are reasonably priced...not adjustable but available in different LOPs and it can be set up to fold. :)

Mr.510
July 30, 2009, 06:53 AM
+1 to what Maverick223 said.

I've got an Ace stock on my .308 with the folder and it is STOUT. You could lay the rifle over a ditch and stand on the middle. You never know when you may need to use your Saiga as a bridge, crowbar, or fencepost! :cool:

Unless you *need* adjustable length I'd skip it. It's more stuff to break when you whack somethin' upside the head. Plus with a folder the gun will fit in a violin case or backpack for those Discreet Ops. I'm not a fan of plastic stocks on AKs and the Crapco T6 is the flimsiest I've tried.

Deus Machina
July 30, 2009, 09:10 AM
I've got one, and it's not so bad. Doesn't allow a firm cheek weld, but that could change with a stock saddle. Tougher than the imported M4-style stocks you find in those kits.

Wouldn't whack someone with it, though.

I'm still keeping an eye out for a good deal on a folder, but the Tapco's just fine for now.

theotherwaldo
July 30, 2009, 11:15 AM
What's wrong with wood?

I thought about putting a 4-position on my AK, then I had to stop and cool off.

I don't wear body armor. It's too hot here to wear heavy clothing. I have other stuff for truck guns.

So why an adjustable stock? I decided to add a stock pad extension and leave it at that. No added rattle, no cheek weld problems.

Sturdy.

Glockman17366
July 30, 2009, 07:18 PM
Personally, I'd leave the rifle stock (meaning the original wood furniture). If you have a thumbhole stock, go with a decent used or new AK style stock set.
Don't forget the 922r compliance if you go this way.

I did convert from a thumbhole stock to a sidefolder a few years back. It was a bit more difficult to get all the compliance parts then, but it was doable.

jon_in_wv
July 30, 2009, 07:31 PM
Mine currently has the KVAR stock, as I mentioned above, it never had wood furniture. I also have the plastic grip and handguard. I understand the preference for wood, but its not happening on this one so wood is a moot point.

I do like the ace tubular stock. The folder would help also but I'm afraid it would be really bulky when its folded up. I'm really just going for some versatility. I would like to shorten it up for closer quarters but still have the option of a longer stock when shooting where there is more room. The M4 style stock seems to work well enough for the troops. I haven't heard any cry to replace them with solid stocks that won't break.

Maverick223
July 31, 2009, 12:43 AM
I haven't heard any cry to replace them with solid stocks that won't break.:o But I want curly walnut on it (crying in the corner).

If you really want a collapsible stock (and it sounds like you do) I would go with one of Al. tubes that I mentioned above. These look to be reasonably durable (but I wouldn't use it for a pull-up bar) and will give you the ability to shorten it when desired. :)

Lone_Sheep_Dog
July 31, 2009, 01:22 AM
I have one on my WASR10. The dealer installed it before I bought it. I like it. I think the wood stock is too short. The tapco seems pretty solid. I think it looks cool too.

jojo200517
July 31, 2009, 01:35 AM
Got one on mine. While it does have a smidge of wiggle and play its tough material and I don't see it breaking provided i don't try using it to break down doors or something insane. As for the cheek weld, i'm glad it's low now I can float my head where I want it like I shoot everything else.

ONLY negative thing I have to say about it is I had to give up my place for my cleaning kit.

Really a butt pad? on an ak? The back end of the tapco's are no worse than the steel plate on the rear of the original wood. I do plan on keeping and refinishing my wooden stock set that came on mine but for now I like the all black look I have going.

Maverick223
July 31, 2009, 02:06 AM
As for the cheek weld, i'm glad it's low now I can float my head where I want it like I shoot everything else.As alluring as that sounds I think I'll keep my cheek weld...even for the lowly inaccurate AK. :)

jon_in_wv
July 31, 2009, 09:28 AM
How sturdy is the ACE folding mechanism? I found a YouTube video of a review of the robinson armament folder and it made me really consider the one from Ace.

Maverick223
July 31, 2009, 02:18 PM
How sturdy is the ACE folding mechanism?I don't know about the standard folder...but the push-button folder is very solid. Solid enough for me to trust it to hold about 2000lbs without collapsing or breaking. It is much stronger than any other folding mechanism that I have seen. The only problem that I have found with it is that it has a slight it of movement when open (or closed). The included set screw did not completely solve the problem...at least for me. I solved the issue by using a nylon set screw that would be crushed slightly when the stock is fully opened. :)

Cactus Jack Arizona
July 31, 2009, 02:47 PM
Personally, I don't like the T6 stock for the AK. It makes the AK look cheap and flimsy. Of course, I'm a bit of a traditionalist and I believe the stocks on all AK-47s should be wood, especially with wood Dragunov stocks. :neener:

Maverick223
July 31, 2009, 04:08 PM
I am a bit of a traditionalist also...I believe that the Dragunov stock should be reserved for Dragunovs. :neener:

nalioth
July 31, 2009, 04:16 PM
How sturdy is the ACE folding mechanism?
I don't know about the standard folder...but the push-button folder is very solid. Solid enough for me to trust it to hold about 2000lbs without collapsing or breaking. It is much stronger than any other folding mechanism that I have seen. The only problem that I have found with it is that it has a slight it of movement when open (or closed). The included set screw did not completely solve the problem...at least for me. I solved the issue by using a nylon set screw that would be crushed slightly when the stock is fully opened.

The standard Ace folder (the galil type) will outlast the push button folder by a long time. It also has less parts in it to bind, and will never "go loose" (it's designed to stay tight as it wears).

jon_in_wv
July 31, 2009, 04:28 PM
Lets say I WAS to get a wood stock and handguard for my Saiga. Who makes good ones, reasonably priced, and are US made?

jon_in_wv
August 1, 2009, 12:38 PM
Nalioth, I appreciate you posting on my thread but since you have been on my ignore list for about a year now its kind of redundant. I realize you are a self proclaimed expert on all things AK, but I'll do with out your input just fine. You could do me a HUGE favor by placing me on your ignore list also. Thanks.

jon_in_wv
August 1, 2009, 02:53 PM
Is there a decent rubber butt pad for the KVAR stock I have on it? I don't like the feel of the plastic stock with the plastic end on it.

nalioth
August 1, 2009, 03:23 PM
Is there a decent rubber butt pad for the KVAR stock I have on it? I don't like the feel of the plastic stock with the plastic end on it.

Well then, I guess this'll help others who come along later . . .

A reproduction commie "grenade launcher buttpad" will add about an inch to any commie issued fixed or folding buttstock. They come with little velcro straps to secure 'em to an commie underfolder or sidefolder.

http://www.novarata.net/images/t5_800x600.jpg

http://www.novarata.net/images/t2_800x600.jpg

You can get 'em at FSE (http://www.fseusa.com/index.php?cPath=95&osCsid=28b5f08d7a376c3f98dc14c864454858)

gb6491
August 2, 2009, 01:41 AM
Lets say I WAS to get a wood stock and handguard for my Saiga. Who makes good ones, reasonably priced, and are US made?
http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/
http://www.dinzagarms.com/furniture/brg3.html

Regards,
Greg

tkopp
August 2, 2009, 01:45 AM
A gentleman does not hold plastic over his head while yelling "WOLVERINES!"

mljdeckard
August 2, 2009, 02:38 AM
I haven't played with the Tapco AK setup, but I will tell anyone that my SKS Tapco setup has been so great, I don't want an AK anymore. I'm not sure what abuse you plan on putting it through that the Tapco can't handle, but I trust it at least as much as I trust my issued M-4.

jon_in_wv
August 3, 2009, 08:27 PM
I recently tried to sell/trade my Ak for that reason. The SKS does well enough for a sub 200 yard weapon I kind of lost interest in my AK. I didn't have any bites so I'm trying to bring my AK up to my liking a little more. I may put an AK style stock back on it. I assume its shorter than the K-Var NATO length stock?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tapco for an AK, what is the consensus?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!