Blue Loctite on grip screws? Good idea or bad?

PDA

gossamer
July 29, 2009, 11:26 PM
Hello all. I've got a Sig P220. I love it. I have added a set of Hogue grips and today at the range one of the grip screws came out. I put it back and tonight while I was cleaning it I noticed that all the Hogue (allen head) grip screws were a bit loose.

So, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put a little blue loctite (the removable kind) on these? I figure that with the forces and torque exerted on these very small fasteners, it might be a good idea to use a little threadlocker on them so as not to lose them.

I know that over-torquing them can strip the threads so I don't want to tighten them too tight. So can anyone think of a reason not to use the loctite?

If you enjoyed reading about "Blue Loctite on grip screws? Good idea or bad?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
thebaldguy
July 29, 2009, 11:37 PM
Go for it. The blue is good to use and can be removed. I put a little on scope mount screws to keep things tight.

oneounceload
July 29, 2009, 11:43 PM
If they are coming loose, then the blue stuff will work just fine - just don't go overboard

USAFRetired
July 30, 2009, 01:19 AM
I use LocTite Purple on small screws on all my weapons. (scope mounts, bases, grips.etc.) Lower break point than Blue. Good on aluminum parts too.

"Slow is Fast, Smooth is Quick"

REAPER4206969
July 30, 2009, 02:08 AM
I use it on my grip screws.

Fumbler
July 30, 2009, 02:29 AM
A tiny amount will be good. I use a toothpick to apply loctite to some screws.
Loctite is much better than torquing the screws harder because you could strip the threads in the aluminum frame.

wrs840
July 30, 2009, 02:50 AM
Loctite 242 (blue) is probably the most widely used and is considered "removable" for threaded fasteners. Use it sparingly on small screws and you'll be fine. Good stuff.

Les

MICHAEL T
July 30, 2009, 04:37 PM
put it on the screw not in the hole Wait till sets up then install

CWL
July 30, 2009, 06:11 PM
My gunsmith's advice is to first touch the screw head with a soldering iron to warm-up the blue loctite before removing the screw.

rhinoh
July 30, 2009, 09:30 PM
put it on the screw not in the hole Wait till sets up then install
Huh? It only "sets up" in the absence of air....it will remain liquid for days if just put on the screw without installing it.

twofifty
July 30, 2009, 11:10 PM
Do you guys first clean with the Permatex Surface Prep activator?

The package for the purple threadlocker suggests doing so...but am wondering if this is really essential?

Acera
July 30, 2009, 11:51 PM
twofifty, I don't. I actually use the blue that is a paste. It comes in a large "chapstick" type set up.

skipsan
July 31, 2009, 12:04 AM
Used blue Loctite on the grip screws on a Beretta M92---used a "bit" too much and glued the magazine into the pistol. The excess extruded into the mag well and.....could not figure out why the darn mag wouldn't drop as it was a couple of weeks between the gluing and the next time I used the pistol. Had to drive the magazine out with a dowell through the ejection port.
Pretty dumb but didn't even make my personal top ten list.

hemiram
August 2, 2009, 04:40 PM
I have used blue loctite on my guns for 30+ years. If you control the amount you use, there shouldn't be a problem. It can prevent a lot of headaches when you are outside shooting someplace. Those little screws can be a real hassle to find in grass or dirt.

The Lone Haranguer
August 2, 2009, 06:32 PM
Unless they've changed since I tried them a few years ago, Hogue screws are made of too soft a metal IMO. I like TJ's screws better. They are harder and take a larger size of hex key. In combination with LocTite you may strip the heads out.

wrs840
August 3, 2009, 10:16 PM
Huh? It only "sets up" in the absence of air....it will remain liquid for days if just put on the screw without installing it.

Right you are. Loctite is an anareobic adhesive.

les

If you enjoyed reading about "Blue Loctite on grip screws? Good idea or bad?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!