AK Mags

PDA

AgentAdam
July 30, 2009, 12:40 AM
I already have a bunch of steel Bulgarian and Romanian AK47 mags and i was wondering if there are any Bakelite mags for 7.62x39 and who makes them?

I have also ordered a few of the new clear Romanian and full metal lined black synthetic Romanian mags to try out. I don't know how well they hold up.

Are there any other good mags i should get some of? I like the Tapcos because they work well in my SKS but would rather hold out for some Magpuls if they ever make them.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK Mags" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SimpleIsGood229
July 30, 2009, 01:56 AM
R Guns has (according to their ad in the last edition of SGN) some red bakelite Russian 7.62 mags, but they were $75.00 or so.

Your best bet really is the Bulgarian circle-10 waffle mags.

Destructo6
July 30, 2009, 02:26 PM
I have a Chinese Norinco made red bakelite magazine in 7.62x39. Unfortunately, it suffered the same failure that is, apparently, common to 7.62 bakelites: cracked feed lip. They are fairly rare for that reason.

Steel mags are both inexpensive and reliable. My next choice would be the aforementioned Bulgarian waffles.

DMK
July 30, 2009, 04:38 PM
My absolute favorite mags are the 20 round Hungarians. I also agree with the others that the plastic Bulgarian waffles rock. I have a bunch of steel Romanian mags that have been great for cheap mags.

AgentAdam
July 30, 2009, 07:53 PM
I have a couple Hungarion 20 rounders that came with my pistol but i could use some more. I just noticed that my older steel Bulgarian 30 rounders have steel followers but the new Bulg. steel mags have plastic followers. The new plastic Bulgarian mags do seem allot smoother. I don't think i want to pay 80+ for bakelites and drums aren't practical enough. I have pretty much every kind now except for the Thermold and Tapco.

Pack
August 1, 2009, 03:03 AM
+10 for the waffle-patterned wares of ordnance factory 10 in Bulgaria (the magazines marked with a "10" in a circle)

Gun Slinger
August 1, 2009, 10:36 AM
Another in concurrence with the above-

The Bulgarian "Factory 10" polymer "waffle" magazines in either 30 or 40 round capacity are the best without a doubt.

musick
August 1, 2009, 03:06 PM
I bought a case of 30, 30rd mags a number of years ago. They were $3/ea and ended up being a mix of Chinese and East German 30rd mags. I unpacked, greased and repacked 26 of them and have been been using 2 of each style for the past 10 years or so. Both styles function flawlessly in my SLR-95.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK Mags" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!