Tapco SKS

PDA

slammy
July 30, 2009, 05:08 PM
Does anyone know a good you tube or instruction site for the conversion?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tapco SKS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
shiftyer1
July 30, 2009, 05:41 PM
it's pretty much drop in. the only problem is the gas tube handgaurd. I would order a new tube with handguard attached. You have to drill out the pin on the original one and do some fitting of the new hand gaurd.

GreenTN
July 30, 2009, 06:28 PM
keep the original wood stock...unless its broke no need for the tapco...
I put a cheek pad from blackhawk and can hold 4 ten round strippers plus 10 in the mag...50 rounds of 7.62x39 on the rifle ready to go..weight is not bad at all...

mljdeckard
July 30, 2009, 06:53 PM
Just did it. Beware of a couple of things.

Yes, the handguard is tricky. If you try to get the pins off yourself, DO NOT DAMAGE THE FERRULE. (The metal fitting on the end.) You DO need it to re-assemble it on the new handguard. NO ONE sells them online. (Ask me how I know.) If you ding it up too badly to work, you will have to buy a pre-made handguard assambly from Tapco, they are about $35. (And hope that they have one in the same color as your stock. If you care.)

I also added a Tech-Sight (This is the most significant addition I made to the rifle,) and I had to file about 1/8" from the new stock immediately behind the receiver for it to fit in. I bottomed out the new sight trying to get it on paper, so I ordered a new front sight with a thinner post, an adjustment wrench for the front, and another for the rear sights. MUCH better. I keep the wrenches wrapped in plastic in the SAW grip of the rifle.

I assume you are getting the compliance kit. (You need to to comply with 922r anyway,) and I had to go to a gunsmith friend's house to get the old grenade launcher off the muzzle to put the new brake on. The pin taps right out, but we had to put it in a barrel vise to get a tight enough grip with a barrel wrench to twist it off. This means lifting the grenade sight and removing the cleaning rod to have six inches of free barrel to put in the vise. (You can cut off the grenade sight if you want to, you don't need it.) I guess we also had to leave the bayonet halfway unfolded. Clean the exposed thread with acetone, let it dry, and put some loctite in the threads before you screw on the new brake.

I made a boo-boo. I tried to lock the magazine in on a closed bolt. (It must be OPEN to lock or remove the magazine, this might make a difference in how you decide to use it. If you want to carry with a mag in and an empty chamber, you pretty much have to lock, load, pull the bolt to the rear letting one round fall, and push down on the round on the top of the mag so that it won't load when you drop the bolt. It's a different manual of arms you will have to get used to.) I'm getting stovepipes on the first one or two rounds, and I think it's because I stressed the lips when I tried to force it in on a closed bolt. At least I can get replacement ones.

But this is my new go-to rifle. I take it everywhere now. See it here:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=453341

It's got great feel and balance, the firing grip is 100% better, it's completely comfortable to fire it with the stock at any length, it eats any kind of ammo, and now that I figured out the sights, I can tear a ragged 1.5" hole offhand at 50 yards. I put on a sling with quick release clips, so that I can sling it muzzle-down across my back and still get it quickly when I'm riding an ATV. I have not yet encountered a coyote, but I am fully prepared for one. :) The original stock was designed for muppet pygmies.

sarduy
July 30, 2009, 07:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng_Kdn3JQDQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPx4zWmn3Wg

slammy
August 3, 2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks guy's I got my Tapco installed yesterday and it was a piece of cake thanks to all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tapco SKS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!