My new homestead defense rifle, with pic's

PDA

Redneck with a 40
July 31, 2009, 12:22 AM
Ruger Mini-14, .223, bought it on 7/27/09, came with (1) 20 round magazine, I bought 3 more.:D I can't wait to sight this thing in on Saturday, I've got 200 rounds of PMC 55 gr FMJ.:) I'm very pleased, I like it.:D

The scope is a Burris fullfield II 3-9x40.

If you enjoyed reading about "My new homestead defense rifle, with pic's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Redneck with a 40
July 31, 2009, 12:23 AM
Forgot the pic, lol!

lobo9er
July 31, 2009, 12:32 AM
the ranch rifle!

P.B.Walsh
July 31, 2009, 12:33 AM
Ooooo, but it's not a taktikewl AR, what happens when the zombies come!!! hahahaha, just had to throw that one out there, thats a nice setup for a specific purpose (outdoor rifle, low mantinece). :)

Redneck with a 40
July 31, 2009, 12:33 AM
yessir!:D

Redneck with a 40
July 31, 2009, 12:35 AM
Yeah, I'm hoping it'll do 2-2.5" at 100 yards, no more than 3". I'm not looking for sub-moa, never was, I know these things are bulletproof.:)

kis2
July 31, 2009, 12:43 AM
real nice looking stock on it, should be a fun one to shoot! (especially with multimags :D )

tju1973
July 31, 2009, 12:44 AM
I like the AR and I like the Mini-- I know the Mini isn't really a sub MOA rifle, but honestly, if I have to shoot a .223, I aim center mass, and squeeze 2 or three times--

In which case I don't need to have a dime sized group on the tango....:)

dispatch55126
July 31, 2009, 12:44 AM
I'd probably trade my AR for a quality Mini-14 again. Loved that rifle.

JohnnyOrygun
July 31, 2009, 01:49 AM
I am really considering buy a Mini 14, I know all the mini haters and their issues, but I have been itching for a mini for a looooong time. Do you mind if I ask how much it set you back? Just for my own reference purposes. I hope she serves you well, I'm sure she will!

Looks really nice, BTW what kind of scope is that? Looks good.

Thanks
JohnnyOrygun

Rshooter
July 31, 2009, 02:33 AM
Even though I have one AR and in the process of building another my wife has one gun, a mini. Whenever I want to rile her I tell her I am going to sell it to finance a new purchase. Good guns that will shoot minute of varmint. Personally I never load mine with the steel loads though, I think it is a mite hard on the extractor.

fireman 9731
July 31, 2009, 03:07 AM
Nice wood!

seanie!
July 31, 2009, 03:21 AM
That's a good looking gun you've got there. I'm eternally in the market for a Mini, I've just never plunked down the cash on one yet.

Ratshooter
July 31, 2009, 09:18 PM
Redneck I have the same gun only in stainless steel. I get around 3" groups with open sights and the cheap 223 ammo from academy labeled monarch brand. Thats with 52 year old eyes that have made some real changes in the last year.

Like Dave Scoville of Rifle magazine said "If you are getting a 4" group then your shots are landing within 2" of your intended point of impact". He also pointed out that a 4" group includes your fartheast out shots. Out of a 5 shot group that may only be one shot. The other four may be in a 2 or 3 inch group. He was talking about open sighted lever guns when he said this.

I bet your scoped rifle does between one and two inches at a hundred. Be sure and report back when you test it.

NC-Mike
July 31, 2009, 10:21 PM
I can't wait to sight this thing in on Saturday

This will help...

http://jonescottagefarm.com/images/Barn_11_4a.jpg

I've got 200 rounds of PMC 55 gr FMJ.

You will need more ammo... :neener:

Good luck! :p

charlie505
July 31, 2009, 10:27 PM
just picked up the NRA model Mini - cant wait to shoot it

Nice stock on yours!!

Marlin 45 carbine
July 31, 2009, 10:33 PM
nice wood on that Mini. the new models shoot better than the older ones.
a bore polish and stock shimming or bedding will have that doing one MOA or near off a rest I'll bet.

RatDrall
July 31, 2009, 10:34 PM
Do you mind if I ask how much it set you back? Just for my own reference purposes.

They sell for $650 new if you shop around.

black_powder_Rob
July 31, 2009, 10:55 PM
NC-Mike - why so mad did you have a guy with a mini out shoot you one day?

ohh and Redneck congrats on the mini I think you will like yours as much as I love mine. don't listen to people who are nothing but negative, they usually have alternate motives.

Redneck with a 40
July 31, 2009, 11:48 PM
I hate to say it, but I shelled out $800 for my mini, dealer only had 3 of'em on the rack, said they are hard to come by, bought it on the spot. I had the cash in hand and I wanted it, lol.

The scope is a burris fullfield II 3-9x40, bought it new at a gun-show, minus the box, for $110.

ByAnyMeans
August 1, 2009, 12:41 AM
While 800 is a bit high it's still a beautiful rifle. Let us know how it shoots after Sat.

NC-Mike
August 1, 2009, 12:42 AM
NC-Mike - why so mad

I apologize. I still haven't got over the trauma of owning a mini-14. :barf:

:p

Redneck with a 40
August 1, 2009, 12:46 AM
I'd rather have a mini over a basement model AR-15, that will need several hundred dollars in upgrades.:barf: Gas impingement system, no thanks.:barf: Plastic furniture, I'll pass.:barf::neener:

NC-Mike
August 1, 2009, 12:56 AM
I'd rather have a mini over a basement model AR-15, that will need several hundred dollars in upgrades. Gas impingement system, no thanks. Plastic furniture, I'll pass.

I would really rather keep it lite so I'll just forget about that gas-impingement crack and not remind you it has a 50 year history and has been in US Military service for 44 years... :neener:

The AR: America's Rifle!

Good luck with your mini. Really.

black_powder_Rob
August 1, 2009, 12:58 AM
NC Mike so when is the last time you fires one? And was it one of the newer ones? (580 series?)
When I sighted mine in it only took 10 rounds to get my shots to point of aim.( I did use a bore sight for some reference) after that I was puting raged holes in the center of the target at 100 yards. I admit it is not a target rifle but will do some nice grouping, even after a few (60) rounds. The new ones are a lot different than the older models. And on another note no one here said any thing negative towards your beloved AR so why would you insert a negative comment just be happy the guy found a rifle that he likes and share in his joy. There is no reason for you to be less than High Road quality here.
Rob

frankiestoys
August 1, 2009, 12:59 AM
I would really rather keep it lite so I'll just forget about that gas-impingement crack and not remind you it has a 50 year history and has been in US Military service for 44 years... :neener:

The AR: America's Rifle!

Good luck with your mini. Really.

Whatever!
some guys just love to rob the joy!

LibShooter
August 1, 2009, 01:08 AM
Call me old fashioned, but somewhere deep in my soul, I just believe that a gun should have some sort of dead tree on it.

The wood on that Mini-14 just makes me want to go out and write a check! That's the closest thing to an EBR I ever want to get.

NC-Mike
August 1, 2009, 01:17 AM
NC Mike so when is the last time you fires one? And was it one of the newer ones? (580 series?)
When I sighted mine in it only took 10 rounds to get my shots to point of aim.( I did use a bore sight for some reference) after that I was puting raged holes in the center of the target at 100 yards. I admit it is not a target rifle but will do some nice grouping, even after a few (60) rounds. The new ones are a lot different than the older models. And on another note no one here said any thing negative towards your beloved AR so why would you insert a negative comment just be happy the guy found a rifle that he likes and share in his joy. There is no reason for you to be less than High Road quality here.
Rob

Of course you're right, just jerkin around...

Armed012002
August 1, 2009, 03:48 AM
I like the look of his Mini too. The blued steel and walnut remind me of a Garand or M14. The Ruger scope mounts look a lot nicer than those butt ugly scope mount contraptions used on the M14.

It's a good looking rifle. Even though I like my AR-15 more than the Mini, your Mini looks a lot nicer than my AR-15 ;)

The Mini isn't known for being an accurate rifle, but I have no doubt man and rifle can consistently hit a coyote sized target.

At the end of the day, the Mini does the job, so who cares if it's less accurate than the AR-15?

zone-2
August 1, 2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks for sharing. Great one!

OrangePwrx9
August 1, 2009, 10:25 AM
That piece of wood looks great. I have a soft spot for them too. Have had a blued 187 series since the early 90s. It still looks new. Picked up a stainless 580 series this spring (nicknamed Salty...it weren't cheap). Had to try that new heavy barrel.

I take them both to the range with my .223 Saiga and rotate among them shooting 5 shot groups. Barrels never get hot and the accuracy stays consistent. With my old eyes, they all group about the same over iron sights though both the 580 and the Saiga seem to be getting better with shooting.
Bob

FMJMIKE
August 1, 2009, 03:59 PM
That's a beauty !!! Looks like my Walmart Mini-14.............:D
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/mbmphoto/Mini14B.jpg

Redneck with a 40
August 1, 2009, 05:53 PM
I got mine sighted in today, took me about 35 rounds of ammo, but she's dead on at 100 yards. I'm going to click it up, so its 2" high at 100 yards. After my sight in was done, I fired (2) 3 round groups, one was 1" and the other was 2.5". That's an indicator that it should hover around 2" at 100 yards, about what I was hoping for, I'm happy.:) Maybe with some match ammo, that will tighten it down a little more. I was shooting PMC Bronze 55 gr FMJ.

Redneck with a 40
August 1, 2009, 06:05 PM
Here's the target pic:

The group in the orange bullseye is 2.5", not bad. The other 3 shot group is under the orange bullseye, so I had to photo it from the backside, its 1".:D

Isher
August 1, 2009, 06:13 PM
I know ...........

It is unAmerican, in that it is Czech.

But boy howdy it works.

isher

If you enjoyed reading about "My new homestead defense rifle, with pic's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!