Boresnake Amazing!

PDA

Dr.Rob
July 30, 2009, 11:26 PM
If you don't have one, get one. Best $10 I ever spent (sale at CDNN) all but eliminates need for patches in the range bag. I just got the 357/9mm version but holy cow its fast, efficient and works as advertised.

Need to get them in .30cal/8mm, .44/45 and .223 as well.

Even if you don't replace your cleaning kit with this (which I'm not suggesting) this is the perfect quick and dirty tool for your range or competition bag.

If you enjoyed reading about "Boresnake Amazing!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
July 31, 2009, 11:30 AM
You still need a cleaning rod in a range bag.

Stuck case? Revolver chambers? HArd chamber fouling in anything? Copper fouling? Etc.
A Bore-Snake is worthless for any of those things.

All I can even recommend them for is for use "in-between" cleaning on guns you can't clean from the chamber end like Lever-actions and some auto-loaders.

rc

hotlead
August 3, 2009, 05:05 PM
I have a couple and like them.

Like RC said,"Stuck case? Revolver chambers? HArd chamber fouling in anything? Copper fouling? Etc.
A Bore-Snake is worthless for any of those things."

I never leave to the range or hunting with out a cleaning rod.

Do bore snakes wear out? Get to dirty to be effective? Can you clean them?

jpwilly
August 4, 2009, 12:08 AM
Do bore snakes wear out? Get to dirty to be effective? Can you clean them?

Put them in the washing machine to clean mine (by themselves).

hotlead
August 4, 2009, 12:34 AM
Thanks jpwilly!

green country shooter
August 4, 2009, 05:47 PM
I like them, but you need to replace them sometimes. They do wear out. If you are cheap and use things until they break, don't get one. A stuck bore snake is a nightmare.

rcmodel
August 4, 2009, 05:56 PM
If you decide to wash them, put them inside a mesh bag or old nylon sock.

They can get wrapped around the shaft underneath the agitator and really make a mess of the tub seals.

rc

Dr.Rob
August 6, 2009, 02:24 PM
Re-read, didn't suggest replacing a ROD at all. Just found it a really handy item and worth it if you can find it on sale.

Picked up on in .32 cal/8mm rifle that got a a .32-20 Colt's bore clean in a heartbeat.

rbernie
August 6, 2009, 04:49 PM
I have also found that using one between shots in a string helps cool the barrel a lot faster. Dunno why, but it's a pretty consistent behavior. Using one for this purpose is a lot easier than rodding the barrel (and goodness knows I'm a lazy guy)....

Doug b
August 6, 2009, 05:29 PM
"A stuck bore snake is a nightmare."
And they will get stuck quite nicely on a loaded chamber indicator.

If you enjoyed reading about "Boresnake Amazing!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!