22 short or long rifle in 22 mag chamber?

PDA

klover
July 31, 2009, 12:44 AM
I've read that 22 mag is bigger in diameter. Just wondering if anyone has tried this in a revolver(s)? Increased leading probably, and lots of "free space" before the bullet enters the rifling. What is the real lack of accuracy, and is there a possible hazard trying this?

If you enjoyed reading about "22 short or long rifle in 22 mag chamber?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bensdad
July 31, 2009, 12:55 AM
I shot 6 rds. of lr out of a mag. cylinder once (Heritage Rough Rider). All 6 cases were cracked. A couple were stuck. I don't recollect if they hit poa.

David E
July 31, 2009, 12:59 AM
Cases rupture and could send some brass shrapnel back at your face. :eek:

Not advised.

mljdeckard
July 31, 2009, 01:49 AM
Right. That's why a Ruger Single-Six comes with a separate cylinder for magnums. They're not like a .38/.357, with the same bullet AND casing diameter. The .22 mag has a wider casing than the bullet, while the .22 LR bullet is flush with the casing in diameter. I've seen pics of six ruptured LR casings fired in a mag cylinder.

Dr_2_B
July 31, 2009, 02:20 AM
I had a similar experience. Not a good idea

klover
July 31, 2009, 09:17 AM
the case to make it fit snug?:eek:

Deus Machina
July 31, 2009, 09:36 AM
May be possible, but a pain and probably tough to do right. Try to find a .22LR cylinder that will fit, if possible.

.22Short or long in a .22LR cylinder=A-OK, just clean it after.

In a magnum chamber=bad juju.

fineredmist
July 31, 2009, 09:43 AM
Why do people insist on doing dumb and stupid things? Firing cartridges that are not proper for the firearm is just asking for trouble. To make matters worse the dummy will blame the manufacturer if he is injured.

klover
July 31, 2009, 10:09 AM
I just got into 22 magnum, and a 648 Smith is on the way.
I have just a few boxes of ammo in 22 magnum, but many thousands in 22 lr.

Now a big heavy K frame revolver can only spit out brass in a very few places.
I am always into trying the unconventional.:neener:

JohnBT
July 31, 2009, 10:16 AM
You admit you're an....

Oh nevermind. It's all been done before and there's a reason nobody is doing it now.

You won't find anyone here willing to hold your beer while you act stupid.

John

klover
July 31, 2009, 01:23 PM
that they fail to apply possible new technology to an old problem?

There are many different kinds of intelligence, and we all take turns being stupid.

The really dumb ones will find themselves in the company of alcohol.

If you enjoyed reading about "22 short or long rifle in 22 mag chamber?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!