I'm still new, here is my small but trying to grow collection :)

PDA

coloradogunguy
July 31, 2009, 01:01 AM
I inherited the carbine and I picked up the 91/30 about a month ago.

My wife hates all firearms so I have to plan my purchases carefully....;)

I hope to add an m44 to my collection this weekend at the show.

I am also willed an m1911 pistol that belonged to my recently deceased father-in-law's uncle from WW2. My mother-in-law recently showed me some 30-.06 rounds and casings, she said the rifle also belonged to him as well, she just needs to find it...
30-.06 rounds, I'm sure you all know what rifle I hope it is....:D

Hopefully I post the pics correctly....

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm still new, here is my small but trying to grow collection :)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rshooter
July 31, 2009, 01:29 AM
Very nice start. How come I did not get lucky enough to inherit some lovely's? I did get the first rifle I ever shot though, my Grandfather's and Fathers .22.:p

nwilliams
July 31, 2009, 01:33 AM
Those two guns wouldn't look bad in any gun collection, especially one that's just beginning!

Keep up the good work and keep posting new guns as you get them so we can see your collection grow;)

Red Tornado
July 31, 2009, 12:28 PM
Were the 30-06 rounds M2 ball? That's always a good sign. :)
RT

federalfarmer
July 31, 2009, 12:32 PM
Nice! Enjoy the hobby.

Reid73
July 31, 2009, 12:58 PM
I picked up the 91/30 about a month ago.... I hope to add an m44 to my collection this weekend at the show

Remember: your wife hates firearms so you have to plan your purchases carefully.

Two comments:

(1) an M44 would be essentially redundant. Since you are effectively limited to only a few firearms, you might want something a bit different;

(2) if you buy another rifle within a month of the last one, your wife may freak. Let's face it, if you maintain that acquisition rate there will be a dozen guns in the house within a year's time (not a problem as far as I'm concerned, but likely a big problem from her perspective). Might be better to slow down a bit, especially when you're expecting to receive the two other inherited firearms in the near future.

Eightball
August 2, 2009, 12:53 AM
Good luck obtaining the rifle that matches them there casings ;)

coloradogunguy
August 2, 2009, 11:40 AM
Well, I went and checked out my local gunshow...even got my wife to go :D.

I think she is realizing that guns are not monsters just pices of wood and metal.

Anyway, One booth had a G-43 WITH scope, beautiful condition, the guy wanted $4400 for it!!:eek: Is that about right for the price one would expect to pay for one of these rifles. I know they are not cheap but holy*^%$.

I wanted to take a picture to post but the show doesn't allow them...

file photo, the rifle at the show looked better then this one...

Ohio Gun Guy
August 2, 2009, 11:43 AM
My wife used to hate them, she tollerates me and them now. :)

Actually we have had a few minor scares where having a gun made us all feel a little more secure! That has helped too.

Dr_2_B
August 2, 2009, 06:02 PM
good luck finding anything you like to shoot as well as that M1 carbine.

Isaac's Grandpa
August 2, 2009, 07:06 PM
Remember, when you go to the range take two rifle cases. One has a broom handle in it. When you come home throw the broom handle in the trunk and carry two rifle cases back in the house with you. The only difference is now you have a rifle in each case.

Side note, my uncle had a Union Switch and Signal .45 from the war. My aunt threw it away after he died.:mad: Congratulations on your inheritance.

W L Johnson
August 2, 2009, 07:44 PM
My wife hates all firearms so I have to plan my purchases carefully..

So did mine, she's now my ex-wife, but that wasn't the only reason but it was one of them.

American Rifleman
August 2, 2009, 08:48 PM
You need to add a pistol to your collection.

W L Johnson
August 2, 2009, 08:57 PM
You need to add a pistol to your collection

A word of caution on that, many people who hate guns hate long guns but hand guns to them are an even bigger evil. To many of them a hand gun means you want to kill someone, many have been brainwashed that way. Remember how hand guns are portrayed by the media. I've had gun haters ask me when they found out I own hand guns ask "why do you want to kill someone?".

wyohome
August 2, 2009, 10:30 PM
Failure Jimmy Carter says the only reason to own weapons that look like assault rifles is to kill police and engage in mass murder:

But none of us wants to own an assault weapon, because we have no desire to kill policemen or go to a school or workplace to see how many victims we can accumulate before we are finally shot or take our own lives. That’s why the White House and Congress must not give up on trying to reinstate a ban on assault weapons, even if it may be politically difficult

22-rimfire
August 2, 2009, 11:27 PM
My wife hates guns too. I just keep them out of sight for the most part and there is no problems. I'm still trying to convince her to go shooting with me.... for the last 20years.... guess you might say the dye is cast.

W L Johnson
August 2, 2009, 11:31 PM
Failure Jimmy Carter says the only reason to own weapons that look like assault rifles is to kill police and engage in mass murder:
Yep, "assault rifles" (note the quotes) too. Many gun haters have a special warm place in their hearts for "assault rifles" (note the quotes again), even tho they can never seem to describe just what is an "assault rifle".

aka108
August 3, 2009, 12:08 AM
If you want to add some beauitifully machined rifles to your collection look into some of the turn of the last century Mauser or DWM built rifles. 6.5 Swedes, 1909 Argentine or Peruvian. These were built when craftsmanship was supreme and the ones that have survived with decent owners will shoot up with the best factory rifles made today. (Maybe better)

lefteyedom
August 3, 2009, 01:16 AM
Replace the wife.

Tim the student
August 3, 2009, 02:01 AM
Looks good to me!

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm still new, here is my small but trying to grow collection :)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!