There's backstrap in them thar critters!!!

PDA

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 31, 2009, 01:36 PM
Anyone else more fired up than ever about fall hunting? :D

If you enjoyed reading about "There's backstrap in them thar critters!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
countertop
July 31, 2009, 01:39 PM
yep!

juk
July 31, 2009, 02:14 PM
Yessir! Early Honker season starts Sept 1. No backstrap on em, but they are still quite tasty :)

exbiologist
July 31, 2009, 03:01 PM
I'm dying here man!!! 2 weeks til archery antelope, 6 weeks til backcountry backpack elk/deer/bear hunt in the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness, 9 weeks til Colorado's first rifle elk season, and then things get really busy with the next elk, deer and pheasant, duck and goose hunts. Got at least 3 more scouting trips to take before I'll be satisfied with my spots for this year. And I still haven't decided whether or not to grab a leftover Wyoming or Utah tag because I didn't draw Nevada, New Mexico or a good Colorado tag. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Kingcreek
July 31, 2009, 03:09 PM
cleaning out the freezer and shooting the bow more. maybe some scouting this weekend..

MCgunner
July 31, 2009, 09:03 PM
Gonna bow hunt for only the second time in my life this year. Also, we always break out the shotguns to start the year off with doves. It's tradition, good friends, birds, shots fired, feathers. Gotta love it. :D

Right now, frankly, it's so friggin' hot, I ain't even thought about it. LOL, but it's right around the corner now that you mention it. I went bowfishing yesterday. Gar didn't cooperate. All I got was a nutria.

bang_bang
July 31, 2009, 09:33 PM
My buddy and I have been hanging a few stands and doing some scouting here lately. We've both spotted (might be the same buck) a large 8-pointer, 18 inches inside and extremely tall G1's and G2's.

Have to get my crossbow set up really soon...going to give that a try for the first time this year. I figure one of us will end up with a nice trophy...then it's doe culling unless a good shooter steps out in front of us.

jbkebert
July 31, 2009, 10:51 PM
Whenever we start teaching hunter ed classes I get the itch to get out and hunt. A buddy of mine is celebrating his 40th birthday at the skeet range tommorrow. So I can at least get some shooting in.

countertop
July 31, 2009, 10:55 PM
Yep. Early Resident Flying Honking Nuns start September 1 as do Game preserves and doves. Gonna be a massive fall.

Was checking out my quail land today. Looking good.

ojibweindian
August 1, 2009, 12:04 AM
Preliminary schedule for Alabama:

Dove begins Sept. 5th
Deer (rifle) begins Nov. 21st.
Rabbit and Squirrel begins Oct. 1st

Can't wait!

usmc1371
August 1, 2009, 12:11 PM
Drug out the ruger all weather and put a few 300wm rounnds down range, still two inches high at 100 just like last year and the five years before that. Still working on getting a scope on the cz 375 but doe season aint till end of october so I got a few days. I must say that october and november make the other ten months worth putting up with for me.

jbkebert
August 1, 2009, 02:08 PM
Went and shot two rounds of trap this morning with some buddies. I took my hunting shot gun 20ga 870 wingmaster full choke. I'll blame that on my poor scores. Anyway had a blast and even more excited now than before.

AKElroy
August 1, 2009, 02:16 PM
Setting up the feeder in 3 weeks to start bringing in the piggies; not willing to wait for whitetail. Birdies (dove) in September; hope we get some rain to get the cows off the only remaining tank. Willing to start a Benelli inspired stampeed if we don't--

GodGuns&Guitars
August 1, 2009, 09:22 PM
Took my 10 year old grandson into the mountains one day last week. He's just now learning about hunting. He picks up on everything I say as he's never been hunting before. We got in close to some unsuppecting mulies, one of which would have made the wall. Later on we came across a couple of elk, but something busted them before we got too close. You'd have thought the grandson got his first game animal though as all we heard about that evening was what we did and the number of animals we saw.

Deer Hunter
August 1, 2009, 09:40 PM
I'm building a gun just for the occasion. :)

Raptorq7r13
August 1, 2009, 10:11 PM
You might laugh, but this year will be my first year hunting. Planning on a deer and a pronghorn. Can't wait :)

ACP230
August 2, 2009, 05:19 PM
It's a month and a half till Michigan's grouse season starts, squirrel and rabbit are open then too. Doe permits are on sale and we need to pick up a couple for November.

August is feeling something like September, off and on.
My youngest son and I are getting a bit excited but there's still some fishing left to do.

MCgunner
August 2, 2009, 05:32 PM
You might laugh, but this year will be my first year hunting. Planning on a deer and a pronghorn. Can't wait

Laugh? More like envy. I'd love to go after pronghorns. Good hunting and take a camera!

If you enjoyed reading about "There's backstrap in them thar critters!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!