Dumbest SIG magazine ad

PDA

Zerstoerer
July 31, 2009, 02:56 PM
…they show the new SIG P238 with no mention of caliber or anything.

It is a 6 + 1 .380ACP and it is barely out and there is already a recall going on for it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dumbest SIG magazine ad" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cchris
August 1, 2009, 03:33 AM
link?

David E
August 1, 2009, 03:37 AM
Not as stupid as the HK catalog page/ad that had the ammo inserted into the magazine BACKWARDS

gudel
August 1, 2009, 03:47 AM
I think the HK ad was photoshop. nobody was stupid enough to put the ammo backwards.

David E
August 1, 2009, 04:01 AM
I think the HK ad was photoshop. nobody was stupid enough to put the ammo backwards.

Odd they should photo-shop their CATALOG picture and distribute 1000's of them, eh ?

(I'd bet the photographer was stupid enough to put the ammo in backwards, and apparently no one who ok'd the pics for print didn't know enough to catch it)

seanie!
August 1, 2009, 04:28 AM
Are you talking about the ad for the gun that weighs under a pound, where it's on the scale?

jad0110
August 1, 2009, 08:41 AM
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Misc/Whatiswrongwiththispic.jpg

Girodin
August 1, 2009, 01:31 PM
What is the recall on the sig p238 about? I haven't heard of it previously.

*Never mind I saw the sticky

rainbowbob
August 1, 2009, 01:54 PM
Not as stupid as the HK catalog page/ad that had the ammo inserted into the magazine BACKWARDS

I didn't think that was even possible until I saw the evidence provided by jad0110. It's hard to imagine that photo wasn't reviewed by a pair of eyes that had actually loaded a mag before putting it into print.

Vern Humphrey
August 1, 2009, 02:41 PM
The RAH 66 Commanche team distributed a poster showning the RAH 66 engaging an enemy armored column. The helicopter was launching an anti-tank missile at a Russian tank. In the column, right behind that tank was a ZPU-4 anti-aircraft system!!:what:

Very poor target selection skills!!;)

Acera
August 1, 2009, 05:38 PM
gudel wrote:

1st is was not photo-shopped.

2nd you underestimate how stupid some people can be.

cchris
August 1, 2009, 07:47 PM
http://pistol-training.com/page/2

Bottom of the page. Apparently, the backwards ammo is an HK joke.

atomd
August 1, 2009, 08:22 PM
Every time I see that HK ad it makes me smile. Gotta love it. I can't believe that got to the point where it went into print. Hilarious.

cratti
August 1, 2009, 08:49 PM
If that HK ad is a photoshop I'd love to meet the person talented enough to make that...

SharpsDressedMan
August 1, 2009, 09:30 PM
Easy public relations to claim it is a "joke" after the fact, to avoid admitting it was a goof.........

Acera
August 1, 2009, 11:13 PM
SharpsDressedMan. I don't think the original HK ad has ever been called a joke by the company or it's representatives. They actually f'd up that ad, and did not catch it until it was too late.

A lot of people have copied their mistake as a joke. That is what is in cchris's link.

SharpsDressedMan did you follow that link to the bottom of the page? Or did you just post based on the following comment from someone who had followed the link, and had the knowledge of what was being discussed?

Double Naught Spy
August 2, 2009, 12:32 AM
Dumbest SIG magazine ad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is a 6 + 1 .380ACP and it is barely out and there is already a recall going on for it.

What makes it a dumb ad? The ad sounds fine.

gofast
August 2, 2009, 01:04 PM
I thought it was a poor ad because my first question was "what caliber?" I searched the entire page and found no mention of any specifics.

bonedust
August 2, 2009, 04:32 PM
the 'joke' is post-add running is magazines worldwide. HK owners post pics of their guns with the ammo backwards to try and cover HK major blunder.

Baneblade
August 5, 2009, 03:09 PM
Wow, that was awesome. Jad0110, thanks. That made my day. I almost think that is too obvious to be a mistake. There must be a couple of disgruntled employees in the works for that to be pulled off.

That or someone got a few high fives and free beer for pulling off an awesome prank... right before quiting.

Perhaps the Sig ad isn't so dumb. I imagine that most of us who saw the ad recognized what we were looking at, and then asked ourselves if we needed it.
Do I need it. No.
Do I want it. Yes.
Am I willing to buy it right now. No. I'll wait until next year.

chris in va
August 6, 2009, 09:46 PM

Not dumb, but clever marketing. It makes you want to learn more about this mystery gun.

DoubleTapDrew
August 6, 2009, 10:17 PM
Looks like that stupid HK ad doesn't mention caliber either :D

Eightball
August 6, 2009, 10:30 PM
Looks like that stupid HK ad doesn't mention caliber either The new, HK-only caliber: Backwards. It's a bad guy's worst nightmare--it'll flip your life around, and turn a BG into an alter boy if he's hit.

Vonderek
August 8, 2009, 12:01 PM
Most art directors and media people (artists, photographers, etc.) are both gun-ignorant and a bit too egotistical to seek outside advice. I'll bet a gun and some ammo was dropped off at the studio and the team "went to work" as it were. The "boolits" seemed to slip into the "clip" easier that way...after all, they were slanted on that end so they must go in that way, right? The photographer erred, the ad agency (also gun-ignorant) submitted it to the client, and the H&K rep in the advertising dept. was in a hurry to leave early that Friday afternoon. The deadline was probably 5PM and the agency, true to form, sent the proof over at 5:15PM (can't ever deliver anything ahead of schedule don't ya know.) The H&K employee signed off after a quick once-over and hauled a** so he could make his Pilates class before happy hour.

In any event, the new ad agency probably has a different studio and the ex-H&K employee is now checking his Monster.com account daily and wondering why his email inbox is empty.

Advertising is a wonderful business.

Double Naught Spy
August 8, 2009, 01:31 PM
Not dumb, but clever marketing. It makes you want to learn more about this mystery gun.

Right. I can't tell you how many car and truck ads that I have seen that don't state engine displacement, horsepower, cargo capacity, or external dimensions of the vehicles. I have seen ads for makes and models of shotgun ammo without stating the caliber.

Sometimes the soft sell is the best sell.

rainbowbob
August 8, 2009, 02:07 PM
The "boolits" seemed to slip into the "clip" easier that way...after all, they were slanted on that end so they must go in that way, right?

I think Vonderek's "explanation" nailed the H&K mystery.

cchris
August 10, 2009, 06:26 PM
As for the SIG ad, if you knew that the P245 was a .45 caliber, you could derive the P238 being a .380. For those who don't know, as stated, they'd probably want to look up the gun. Giving every specification on the gun in the add detracts from the "mystery" of it, and hell, someone may go looking at the SIG site and fall in love with another gun on there.

Roccobro
August 11, 2009, 02:18 AM
All I know P226 are 9mm. After that I know I wouldn't waste any more time in my life to find out *** their ad is selling. It is an ADVERTISEMENT right? It should sell a product, not create MORE questions as to what the hell it is....

Justin

CJ
August 11, 2009, 10:37 AM
Well, if the purpose of an ad is to make people take notice and generate interest and discussion...isn't this thread accomplishing exactly that?

cchris
August 11, 2009, 08:06 PM
It is an ADVERTISEMENT right? It should sell a product, not create MORE questions as to what the hell it is....

It is an advertisement. Its purpose is to advertise a product, not sell it. That's what a salesman is for.

From thefreedictionary.com:

ad·ver·tise·ment
n.
1. The act of advertising.
2. A notice, such as a poster or a paid announcement in the print, broadcast, or electronic media, designed to attract public attention or patronage.

This ad seems to "attract public attention" by making people wonder more about the gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dumbest SIG magazine ad" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!