Universal or Universal Clays?

PDA

aerod1
August 1, 2009, 09:48 AM
I use Universal Clays (made by Hogdon)for reloading shotshells and a friend told me there was also a powder called Universal. I sometimes refer to Universal Clays as Universal. I have looked for the "Universal" and can't find it. Is there a difference and where can I find info on it?
BTW I also load rifle and pistol as well so I am looking at that also.
Thanks,

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Universal or Universal Clays?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dwhite
August 1, 2009, 10:24 AM
Universal and Universal Clays are one and the same. DO NOT CONFUSE REGULAR "CLAYS" WITH "UNIVERSAL CLAYS".

All the Best,
D. White

Walkalong
August 1, 2009, 12:24 PM
I think Hodgdon wasn't thinking when they came out with 3 different "Clays" powders. Too easily confused.

Most folks just call "Universal Clays" "Universal" now.

Big difference in burn rate and characteristics. Substituting "Clays" for "Universal Clays" with Universals data would be a potential disaster.

I wrote "FAST" in bold sharpie on my "Clays" jug, just in case I get in a hurry and get careless. (Which better not happen) The 1 Lb cans are not that dissimilar.

rcmodel
August 1, 2009, 01:02 PM
Is there a difference and where can I find info on it?

http://www.hodgdon.com/shotpist.html

rc

45ACPUSER
August 1, 2009, 06:54 PM
Hodgdon does not make powder! They package powder.....they have stuff made by ADI and SMP.......

Mags
August 1, 2009, 07:00 PM
Hodgdon does not make powder! They package powder.....they have stuff made by ADI and SMP.......
So Hodgdon's website and load data is useless?

Walkalong
August 1, 2009, 07:32 PM
So Hodgdon's website and load data is useless?

No, it's good data. 45ACPUSER is just being nit picky.........:D

I stand corrected. Hodgdon should not have named 3 powders so similarly. ;)

tactikel
August 1, 2009, 08:24 PM
The Clays powders by ADI, were very confusing (I bought a pound of International clays instead of clays!!)- NOW they are "Clays", "Universal", and "International". All fine powders, and all different.

ArchAngelCD
August 2, 2009, 03:45 AM
From what I read all 3 are considered the Clays line of powders. They are similar in texture and grain size and all 3 are used for loading shotshells for breaking "Clays." Like said above, there's where the similarities end, all 3 have very different burn rates. I think Hodgdon is getting away from the "Clays" name for Universal and International and if not, they should be. (IMO of course)

ForneyRider
August 3, 2009, 12:12 AM
Don't forget International Clays.

rofl.

ArchAngelCD
August 3, 2009, 02:20 AM
Don't forget International Clays.

rofl.
LOL, we didn't. It was mentioned in the 2 posts above yours... lol

Jim Watson
August 3, 2009, 08:09 AM
Do you find the different "dot" powders confusing, too? Should they be renamed just Red, Green, and Blue so the same word does not appear on the label?

DickM
August 3, 2009, 10:00 AM
Do you find the different "dot" powders confusing, too? Should they be renamed just Red, Green, and Blue so the same word does not appear on the label?

The difference is that Alliant doesn't, and Hercules didn't, have a powder simply named "Dot." If they did, I'd agree that the situation is comparable. As they don't, it isn't.

Jim Watson
August 3, 2009, 02:18 PM
Actually there was a recent internet post about difficulty appreciating the difference in the color of those few little dots in the powder.

And those four digit numbers can get very confusing too. Not to mention when they are the same numbers just with a different letter.

If you enjoyed reading about "Universal or Universal Clays?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!