Lever action barrel: Round or Octogon

PDA

hawk45
August 1, 2009, 05:00 PM
Looking to get a .45LC Lever action.. and was trying to decide on the which barrel to get.. .round or octogon? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to either setup?

If you enjoyed reading about "Lever action barrel: Round or Octogon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TUBBY1
August 1, 2009, 05:46 PM
For me i would go short and round. The long heavy are better long distance sitting thinking about it. I like fast better than pretty. Buy one of each when you win the lotto...

ArmedBear
August 1, 2009, 06:42 PM
Whichever one feels best to you.

Tapered octagon barrels can point and balance very well. Round barrels are usually cheaper.

I wouldn't get a 24" in .45 Colt, but that's just me. I see the .45 as a better short-range popper than an ideal long-range rifle.

I have a 24" heavy round barrel .22LR lever gun that I really like, and a similar 20" tapered octagon .22 that I also really like.

9mmepiphany
August 2, 2009, 01:44 AM
i ordered my Marlin 1894 .357 mag as a comboy model because i want the octogon barrel. it just has a clasic "look" to it and i think the flat top compliments the flat top of the receiver

blackops
August 2, 2009, 01:51 AM
IMO there are pros and cons to both if you want to get technical, but on a lever that octogon barrel is just good lookn! Especially on the older styles. Contour will obviously decifer how accurate and how hot the barrel will get. Get a nice heavy octogon and make that 45 LC a shooter! You won't regret it! Nothing better than that old classic look to a very accurate rifle!

gga357
August 2, 2009, 02:42 AM
IMHO the 20" octogon is the way to go.

bobotech
August 2, 2009, 04:38 PM
I like longer barrels on my levers. I dunno why but I just do. I also like the octagon barrels better, they just look nicer to me.

With that said, I recently made a trade for a 45colt Rossi lever with a 24 inch barrel that I thought was octagon. Turns out that it was half octagon/half round. Quite nifty looking and is lighter than the full octagon barrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lever action barrel: Round or Octogon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!