Hey guys, new to the boards and just got my AR!!!

PDA

SEAL2988
August 2, 2009, 11:20 PM
Hey everyone, my name is Dan, Im 21 and have wanted one of these rifles sooooo bad since I was about 15, finally the fiance let me drop the cash!

So i ended up getting a DPMS sportical.... was cheap, and didnt have sights which worked as i planned a scope in its future !!! but anyway I have shot about 200 rounds thru it, and found the scope I want and got the bi-pod and sling on, sighted it in to 100 yards the other day, groups inside 2 inches....not too bad for a poor shooting location. but tell me what ya think...scope is a 3.5-10X40 tru glo scope with lit reticle and the little dropping bars for longer range as well....

thanks in advance guys!

If you enjoyed reading about "Hey guys, new to the boards and just got my AR!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tim the student
August 3, 2009, 01:43 AM
Good stuff. They are fun!

Nice shooting, and welcome to THR.

Sunray
August 3, 2009, 03:48 AM
"...the fiance..." At 21? Run and hide. Join the Army. You're too young to get married.
Lose the bipod, the scope(3.5 to 10 is far too much scope for a .223), use good ammo and learn how to shoot it without the add-ons. A scope doesn't make any rifle shoot better. It just lets you see the target better. You'll need to put on some decent iron sights though.
Good ammo is essential. If you're not reloading, you need to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo that your rifle shoots best.

dom1104
August 3, 2009, 07:49 AM
Run and hide. Join the Army.

Yeah, thats pretty much how I figured the army got most of its boys.

MrCleanOK
August 3, 2009, 08:08 AM
I hope you're short. That sling would try to choke me every time I walk down the hall!

Welcome to Black Rifle Disease

jpcolt76
August 3, 2009, 08:27 AM
SEAL2988, welcome to the club of AR's! I would say your groups are fair. What ammo where you using? ARs are capable of incredible accuracy regardless of barrel length becuase that has little to do with accuracy and much to do with velocity.

Modern guns are accurate. Inaccuracy comes with the human interfacing with the gun. Make sure you are very comfortable when you shoot and that the gun is on a solid rest. You should be getting about 1 inch groups taking slow aimed shots. I am sure you can get a very informative thread going about maximizing the ARs accuracy with optics. Everybody has a different formula.

longdayjake
August 3, 2009, 09:32 AM
Not exactly the best scope out there, but I would disagree with Sunray about the power of your scope. Sounds to me like he was or is in the military and has a different idea of what the .223 can do. I have a 6x18 leupold on one of my AR's for shooting rock chucks. Granted your rifle is not a varmint config, but if you want to shoot really small targets at longer range you will have to use the scope. You should be able to get better groups, but I'm guessing you were using some steel case ammo that really doesn't help the accuracy of your rifle at all. In a year or two you will get some reloading equipment to help feed your new habit and then you will see what your rifle is truly made of.

Birdmang
August 3, 2009, 09:56 AM
I got the same one for my first AR!

Great price and great shooter.

Moose458
August 3, 2009, 10:05 AM
Nice rifle that will give you a lot of fun. What they said about good ammo. ARs can be a little finicky. You have a good starting point that you can always up grade on as the money becomes available. You do need a good set of iron sights for back-up. All and all, you should be happy with your new AR.

13Bravo
August 3, 2009, 10:16 AM
You'll have a lot of fun with it. Beware when using different types of ammo as your zero will change. Finding the round that groups best is fine, but if you rezero to that but plan on playing with the cheaper stuff on a regular basis, your zero will be off. 2 inches with that rifle and it's stock trigger and you're doing alright. I've got an Armalite, and a new trigger is in the works as soon as I get out of the desert. Also, the guys are right. Iron sights are crucial. I don't see much room under that scope for even a flip up though. I broke the eye piece on a trijicon once. My heart sank, I was on patrol in Mosul, Iraq. It took a moment, but realizing I had zeroed backup sights I knew I was good to go. Popped the scope off, and kept on chugging. If your scope goes t%#ts up on the range, your day is over.

Tim the student
August 3, 2009, 11:01 AM
Iron sights are crucial, but only if you want them to be. I don't have irons on my AR, because it is a varmint gun, and they will only take up money and space on the gun. In all honesty, if my scope goes down, the rifle will get cased, the scope sent back, and another rifle will come out of the truck. I will be fine with no BUIS.

But, if you keep that gun as a SD rifle, then I think a BUIS is definitely in line.

Regardless of what everyone here says, it is your rifle, to do with as you choose. So go shoot it and have fun!

otrman
August 3, 2009, 08:43 PM
Be warned, things can get out of hand. But boy they are sooooo much fun.

/www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=102720&d=1249346272

otrman
August 3, 2009, 08:45 PM
Well that didn't work. Try it this way.

SEAL2988
August 3, 2009, 09:04 PM
Hey thanks guys so much for all the info (good and bad) as to the bar sights, i may or may not, I was thinking of upgrading my scope to one i found online thats a 3-9X and has a red dot built on top!!!!

the ammo, was the most cheap i could find ... you guys are forgetting, I just wanted to see what she felt and handled like....i have wanted one foreverrrrr!

So i will learn to reload most likely that seems to be the choice here, and lose the bi-pod? this is going to be a plinker and varmit hunter / just home fefense here in my apartment, and the scope zooms way out... and lights the reticules....kind of like a red dot lol

as to the sling.... you are so right, its so tight on me, ill be loosening it soon lol

thanks once again for all the tips and support, i dont want to just be a guy with an AR, I want to learn how to push it, and how every last piece breaks down, and how to make crutial changes to it in the field if i must.

and come on.... im engaged, she is the one...she is gorgeous!!! and she's smart, and shoots my AR with me AND plays my PS3 with me lol

If you enjoyed reading about "Hey guys, new to the boards and just got my AR!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!