Ar15 question.. Please help

PDA

mp5a3
August 3, 2009, 04:22 PM
I'm trying to replace the latch (to a PRI oversized) on my M4orgery. There's a pretty small roll pin that needs to be pushed out. I have a pretty decent sized tool collection, but nothing that small. Is there anything else that will work ?

Also I just got my Wilson Combat AK47 buffer in and installed it. Will this knock down recoil or is it just to keep the bolt from getting beat up ? Thanks guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ar15 question.. Please help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mp5a3
August 3, 2009, 04:23 PM
BTW, my Midway USA order just came in. (Yes, only a gun nut works on his guns during his lunch break)

ForneyRider
August 3, 2009, 04:54 PM
I used a punch to knock mine out. Careful, the pin and spring are very tiny, work over an area where you can find the pieces in case they fall.
Brownell's and other places make a lot of kits and whatnot with tools for the AR. But a set of small punches will work.

rcmodel
August 3, 2009, 05:30 PM
Any Sears tool department, or decent hardware store, sells pin punches individually from 1/16" on up.

They cost about two dolla.

rc

Snick91
August 3, 2009, 05:31 PM
"Careful, the pin and spring are very tiny, work over an area where you can find the pieces in case they fall."

A big +1 to that. I lost the spring in the vast sea of carpet in my room. It wasn't fun spending 2 hours searching for it with a magnet.

PandaBearBG
August 3, 2009, 06:21 PM
It might look a little goofy but I usually wrap my AR in a "shroud" of grocey plastic bag or small garbage bag, poke holes thru the bottom on each side, slide the rifle thru and just stick your hands inside the "coccoon" of plastic in case that little spring does fly then it usually gets lost in the plastic.

carbine85
August 3, 2009, 07:07 PM
Make sure the punch fits the hole or you might end up spreading the roll pin. The proper size punch should just fit inside the hole. I also recommend a layer or 2 of tape on the rifle surfaces to protect the finish just in the case you miss. Use a tack hammer or something small.

MrCleanOK
August 3, 2009, 07:40 PM
There is no substitute for the proper size punch. They're cheap, so there's no reason not to have them if you plan on doing any (even simple) gunsmithing.

anthony-white
August 3, 2009, 07:48 PM
I would suggest getting the proper roll pin punch for that job, it'll keep the pin from distorting. I would also try not to drive the pin all the way out, it is a whole lot easier to reassemble when you can barely fit the new latch / spring in because of tension the pin provides (also will help in keeping it from becoming airborne so easy).

mp5a3
August 4, 2009, 09:58 AM
What size punch will I need ? I have a 1.5mm and it doesn't seem to fit.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ar15 question.. Please help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!