Help on TEXAS RANGER gun

PDA

Duggan
August 3, 2009, 07:14 PM
I think I have come across an original texas ranger "McNelly Carbine" It looks good and has the proper markings but...one never knows with all the fakes out there. Could someone please, please, please help me with this. From what I have read there were only 36 original pieces. If this is what I think it is it may be one of them but I can not find any info on the net about them. I would love any info from yall to help me out. Where I could look up serial numbers or if there are any known examples or any info such as that would be huge.....thanks
Duggan

If you enjoyed reading about "Help on TEXAS RANGER gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Leadbutt
August 3, 2009, 08:20 PM
Why not contact the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco??

Duggan
August 3, 2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks... I thought of those folks first...but like I said..too late. Anywhere else you can think of... I know it is rare but trying to find an original pic is even tough...

Leadbutt
August 4, 2009, 08:39 PM
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/

There are some lever gun collectors on this board and a couple who collect Ranger gear

kansas coyote
August 4, 2009, 11:10 PM
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/tslac/30027/tsl-30027.html
Looks like a good spot to start it the texas archive page lots of info . I didn't wade throught it .

Old Fuff
August 5, 2009, 08:43 AM
There is a museum in Cody, WY. that has Winchesters's old shipping records. Sorry, I don't have a link but you may be able to Google it up. Anyway, if you provide them with a description of your rifle and the serial number, (plus a fee of course) they will track your gun back and see when it was shipped and to what distributor, individual (when available) and whatever other information they find. The letter they send you is considered to be official documentation by most collectors.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help on TEXAS RANGER gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!