Gunscrubber...

PDA

sokygunner
August 4, 2009, 12:04 AM
How many of you all use the Birchwood Casey Gunscrubber? I have started using it and that is the strongest crap I have ever seen, its like brake cleaner. When it gets on my hands it burns and tingles like getting brake cleaner or acetone on them so god only knows what that stuff could do to a nice wood stock or polymer frame or even a nice teflon based finish on a gun. Anybody have any incidents with this stuff messing up the finish on your gun/stocks/anything else? I know they have two kinds, regular and the kind of synthetic stocks. Any negative experiences out there? I know it cleans the crap out of a gun and it is great for areas that are hard to get to. Dries fast and clean, but leaves a white residue, like chlorinated disc brake cleaner.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gunscrubber..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
paralaska
August 4, 2009, 01:30 AM
I use it to get into hard to reach areas on my handguns, then spritz a little rem oil in them after it is dry and I've wiped the areas off the best I can. I still use traditional methods for cleaning barrels and chambers (ie. hopps #9, brushes, patches, etc.).

It is very potent stuff, but I haven't had any problems with the gun finish. However, I've not used around wood stocks.

chevyforlife21
August 4, 2009, 01:37 AM
i used it to clean the action in my old marlin mod 60 70s or 80s version. i sprayed it into the action just like the can said without dissasmebling it and it ruined my trigger group it distorted the safety so it was stuck and now after 4 years of pushing teh safety real hard every time i had to use it. it is still harder then normal to press not to meantion it looks chewed up.

CWL
August 4, 2009, 02:33 PM
Gunscrubber is the same as brake cleaner. Save yourself $8 and use a can of brake cleaner (non chlorinated).

There are no secret ingredients on Gunscrubber that makes it different or better for guns. They both remove carbon deposits and degrease metal, which is necessary for guns and brake pads.

When you do use it, remove ALL wood. The chemicals strip the finish off of wood, making it dull. Eventually, you are left with dried-out wood that will crack & splinter.

After spraying, wipe off any residue with a silicone cloth, or lightly oiled rag and re-lube.

JohnBT
August 4, 2009, 06:22 PM
It will melt the plastic grips on a CZ-75B on contact. Makes a really interesting stringy mess when you touch them and pull away.

I use Gunscrubber on everything - the metal anyway - but try to conserve it by using it to flush the crud away after cleaning with bore cleaner or MPro7 or something else. Then I'll mist it all, or maybe just the guts, with Barricade/Sheath and wipe the exterior with a RigRag.

I got some Gorilla Glue on my fingers Friday and finally got the last of it off by spraying Gunscrubber on them and rubbing. And spraying some more. It saved the day. I was out of paint thinner and was about ready to go straight to the paint and varnish remover. If you ever want to grip a baseball or a hammer or something, GG is the stuff.

John

rcmodel
August 4, 2009, 07:11 PM
Gunscrubber is the same as brake cleaner. Save yourself $8 and use a can of brake cleaner (non chlorinated).I have used auto parts store brake cleaner on old guns for about 40 years now.

Used to be .97 cents a can and now it is up to what? Two dolla fifty or something?

Still the cheapest thing there is for blasting out old gummed up guns.

Like the guy said though, it's hard on stocks & plastic parts so keep it to dissembled actions.

On less dirty guns, I like WD-40. (Gasp!)
It's cheap too, and harmless on about everything you find on a gun.
I just hose out the dirt with WD-40 and blow it out with compressed air.

rc

Walkalong
August 4, 2009, 07:39 PM
B-12 Chemtool Carb cleaner. Works great, dries residue free. Much better than the cheap brake cleaner stuff for the same price or less. You must relube after using it.

LeonCarr
August 4, 2009, 07:53 PM
Brake Cleaner...great stuff. Gunscrubber is a rip off.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Jim K
August 4, 2009, 08:01 PM
I use Gunscrubber/brake cleaner ONLY on metal, not on wood or any kind of plastic. For a general cleaner and penetrant, I like G96 Gun treatment, but it is not a lubricant and doesn't vanish like Gunscrubber does.

And, as noted, Gunscrubber removes ALL lubricant and protective oils, so replacing those is important after cleaning.

Jim

thebaldguy
August 4, 2009, 11:02 PM
I use it, but I'm always very careful to keep it away from wood and plastic. I usually cover those parts with a rag to prevent the solvent from hitting it.

jad0110
August 4, 2009, 11:08 PM
I use Gunscrubber/brake cleaner ONLY on metal, not on wood or any kind of plastic.

Yep, and keep it away from guns with painted aluminum surfaces, such as the S&W x42.

It does make cleaning go a lot faster, as it blasts away most of the crud. Then you can go back and scrub any remaining deposits and lightly re-oil.

hardluk1
August 5, 2009, 03:03 PM
I have been useing the sythetic cleaner and it works just as good and won't eat up the rubber/plastic parts.

donato
August 5, 2009, 06:58 PM
Use the synthetic. It doesn't destroy the plastic, rubber and wood grips. I've used the Birchwood Casey Synthetic for a long time now with great results. Oh, and I don't see the white residue that the OP speaks of.

The Lone Haranguer
August 5, 2009, 10:57 PM
There is a "synthetic safe" version of this product. Even the non-"synth-safe" version will not harm the frames of polymer-framed service handguns like the Glock, XD, etc. Other plastics may not fare so well, so keep it off them if you are not sure.

makarovnik
August 7, 2009, 12:32 AM
I use synthetic and it does leave a green residue like anti-freeze or green kool aid. I like it but it will take paint right off.

donato
August 7, 2009, 06:02 PM
What paint are you talking about. Birchwood Casey Synthetic Gunscrubber doesn't take the paint off my P-01. And I don't have green residue either.

makarovnik
August 10, 2009, 08:27 PM
When I got a little on my P64, the red paint on the safety just slid right off the gun all in one piece.

It did the same thing to my Norinco shotgun.

I noticed the green residue the first time I used it on a gun. I did buy this can about three years ago when I think the synthetic safe formula was in it's infancy. Maybe they use better formula now that doesn't leave residue. I still have plenty of the old stuff and use it very sparingly.

It does not affect the finish on my Hi-Point so I use it mainly for them since disassembly requires a pin punch and hammer.

CWL
August 11, 2009, 08:44 PM
Sheesh! I guess some people would rather never learn...

Brake cleaner is the same thing!

Why do you need to pay more for "Synthetic" Gunscrubber? Do you think that brake cleaner isn't formulated to leave tire rubber, plastic tire covers & paint alone?

Or do you really like to spend 4-5X the money for the same thing? :rolleyes:

donato
August 11, 2009, 09:04 PM
Which brake cleaner are you talking about? I'm interested, but all the brake cleaner I've looked at doesn't seem to be rubber (hose) or plastic or wood finish safe.

makarovnik
August 14, 2009, 07:14 PM
I'll spend a little more if I can be assured it won't melt my polymer frame.

Some people never learn.

Deltaboy
August 14, 2009, 10:47 PM
I love Brake cleaner or carb cleaner which ever I have a coupon for.

2nd 41
August 14, 2009, 11:59 PM
Protective eye wear is not a bad idea...the GS spray comes right back at your face if hit the right spot. Be careful.

DAVIDSDIVAD
August 15, 2009, 12:37 AM
I got some Gun Scrubber in my eye when I stuck the spray straw in the firing pin channel of my 590 once....

it burned.

luckily, I had a bottle of water nearby that was promptly emptied into my eye.

CWL
August 15, 2009, 02:21 AM
Which brake cleaner are you talking about? I'm interested, but all the brake cleaner I've looked at doesn't seem to be rubber (hose) or plastic or wood finish safe.

Let's see, you spray a can of brake cleaner into your car brakes and you think it'll burn right thru the rubber tire, plastic valve stems and plastic wheel covers? Right!

Brake cleaner removes carbon build-up and degreases metal. What does "gunscrubber" do? You really think Birchwood Casey has a chemical research lab somewhere?

Some people don't like to use their brains...:rolleyes:

Lakeshore
August 15, 2009, 12:35 PM
Just used Gun Scrubber (the manly non-synth one) for the first time to de-crud a milsurp semi-auto handgun. Outstanding results in about one minute. Will definitely be using it again in the future, 'cept next time I'll wear rubber gloves.

donato
August 15, 2009, 12:55 PM
Let's see, you spray a can of brake cleaner into your car brakes and you think it'll burn right thru the rubber tire, plastic valve stems and plastic wheel covers? Right!

I wouldn't know about this. Most people remove their wheel covers and tires w/valve stems to work on and clean their brakes.

Some people don't like to use their brains...

And before you get your bowels in an uproar and maybe get a false reading from you gut, would you please answer my question? It was asked in earnest and I would like an honest answer. Which brake cleaner? The ones that I've looked at say that care should be taken to not get the stuff on rubber hoses/fittings and plastic. What brand and should you use the non-chlorinated or chlorinated type?

poco loco
August 15, 2009, 02:34 PM
Not worth the risk. Most old style (chlorinated) brake cleaners will melt plastics in a heartbeat. Lots of years in automotive and an experience with a cz70 grip taught me this. :eek:

The newer non chlorinated cleaners might not be as bad but is it really worth the risk?

On unpainted metal, no problems works like a charm. Any chance of plastic or wood exposure...use something else or strip it first.

poco loco
August 15, 2009, 02:40 PM
Had to replace more than one for customers when one of my guys screwed up.

Rubber, like tires and valvestems, will survive though it will deteriorate over time.

Plus now many shops have gone to a water and soap based system like the Birdbath as they're safer for the tech and anything else the old style stuff gets on.

Want some real fun try brake fluid on a hot painted surface...the bubbling starts in minutes. :evil:

rhinoh
August 15, 2009, 03:46 PM
Even the newest brake cleaners will "haze" some plastics if it doesn't outright melt them.
Fortunately it wasn't gun related when I noticed this, rather it was a clear fuel filter bowl for a small diesel engine. It isn't clear anymore, but translucent.

Deanimator
August 15, 2009, 05:22 PM
I prefer Shooter's Choice spray cleaner, but I won a can as a door prize at a pistol league banquet, so I'll use it until I run out.

greyeyezz
August 16, 2009, 12:20 PM

Brake cleaner removes carbon build-up and degreases metal. What does "gunscrubber" do? You really think Birchwood Casey has a chemical research lab somewhere?

Spend $600-800 on a pistol and your willing to risk ruining grips or other plastic parts to save a few bucks? Real bright.

atblis
August 16, 2009, 12:55 PM
Take the grips off before you use brake cleaner. Two screws, easy.

Gunscrubber is a rip off. There are brake cleaners out there that are identical for one quarter the cost.

Homerboy
August 18, 2009, 10:05 PM
Used to use it, but the whole "This product contains chemicals KNOWN to cause cancer" label scared me off. Remington makes a Shotgun Cleaner/Degreaser that contains NO carcinogens. For the extra few bucks, I'd rather not handle cancer causing material. Big can costs like 7 bucks.

Dr_2_B
August 18, 2009, 11:50 PM
nice info

makarovnik
August 19, 2009, 11:25 PM
Almost every oil based paint and pretty much anything that contains petroleum that I use in the shop says it has ingredients known by the PRK to cause cancer.

Unless you inhale it or swallow it it takes prolonged exposure to soak into the skin and cause cancer.

I know I really live on the edge but I don't wear gloves or a mask when I use WD-40. OMG. I do usually wear protective eyewear when spraying solvents though.

Do it outside and wash your hands well and try to limit skin exposure to these naughty chemicals.

CajunBass
August 20, 2009, 07:31 AM
So Gunscrubber costs a few bucks (if that much) more than brake cleaner. BIG Deal. How much of it do you go through?

I'll bet there is a big savings there. I could have retired years ago. :rolleyes:

atblis
August 20, 2009, 10:09 AM
$2 for Brake Cleaner
v.
What? $8 for gunscrubber

Why pay the extra $6, when I can walk literally 50ft and buy the exact same thing?

donato
August 20, 2009, 07:53 PM
Like I've asked before and no one has yet given me an answer.

What is the brand name of the brake cleaner that is identical to Birchwood Casey Synthetic Gunscrubber? I'd like to give it a test drive.

All the brake cleaner that I've managed to find in WalMart, Advance Auto, Auto Zone and O'reily's has warnings against getting the stuff on rubber hoses and other rubber items, plastic or paint. Not all have all three warnings but all have at least one or two of them. So which brand are you advocating?

atblis
August 21, 2009, 11:15 AM
The main ingredients in the Synthetic Safe Gunscrubber are Isopropyl Alcohol and Hexane

Find one with those same ingredients, and you're good to go.

Homerboy
August 21, 2009, 11:32 AM
Almost every oil based paint and pretty much anything that contains petroleum that I use in the shop says it has ingredients known by the PRK to cause cancer

All I know is that the Remington product specifically says they do not use the ingredients known to cause cancer. When I clean my guns, I try to use gloves, but my hands sweat and it is just uncomfortable. I have pretty much switched to the newer, biodegradeable, safer products.

I still do use Hoppes #9, though.

donato
August 21, 2009, 06:25 PM
The main ingredients in the Synthetic Safe Gunscrubber are Isopropyl Alcohol and Hexane

Find one with those same ingredients, and you're good to go.

What kind of answer is that? In other words, you just roar in these forums for the sake of hearing your own mouth roar - you don't really know what you're talking about. If you really knew what you are professing in this thread, you could give me a brand name brake cleaner without hesitation.

NOTE: I can't find those ingredients listed on the can of Birchwood Casey Synthetic Gunscrubber.

atblis
August 22, 2009, 10:07 AM
What kind of answer is that? In other words, you just roar in these forums for the sake of hearing your own mouth roar - you don't really know what you're talking about. If you really knew what you are professing in this thread, you could give me a brand name brake cleaner without hesitation.
I like hearing my own mouth roar. :neener: That's a new one.

Start looking at MSDS sheets online. I am not going to do it for you.

donato
August 22, 2009, 08:25 PM
Start looking at MSDS sheets online. I am not going to do it for you

Hey, you're the one saying that brake cleaner is identical to Birchwood Casey Synthetic Gun Scrubber, not me. I've been trying to show you that may not be true in all cases. You're the one who needs to read MSDS sheets before providing "expert" advice to the forum.

Birchwood Casey Synthetic Gun Scrubber is safe on plastic, rubber and wood finishes. I've been asking you to show me the brake cleaner that is identical to that; however, you keep doing the side-step.

I like hearing my own mouth roar. That's a new one.

Not particularly as good quality.

EDIT: Altered the one sentence to make it other than definite. There may be a brake cleaner that is identical to BC Synthetic Gun Scrubber; however, Mr. Atblis hasn't found it yet and doesn't seem to be interested in researching the facts to prove his blanket statement that brake cleaner is identical to BC Synthetic Gun Scrubber. I have been looking and I cannot find the identical stuff - yet.

don
August 27, 2009, 01:18 AM
Another good cleaner is CRC QD Electronic Cleaner. I use it on guns and cameras and some of the cameras have plastic gears. It is advertised to be safe on plastics. The main ingredients are methanol and hexane. Cleans and dries fast. Available at most Auto parts stores. I do not recommend any of you spray this on your cameras. I am a camera technician and know when and where to spray. Guns are tougher than cameras.

ezypikns
August 27, 2009, 08:31 AM
1. Gunscrubber and generic brake cleaner are one and the same. Brake cleaner is much cheaper.

2. Gunscrubber/Brake Cleaner may harm some plastics, and will certainly harm woods with fine finishes and painted surfaces.

3. Some people can't impart what knowledge they have without trying to make others feel stupid, and in doing so, reveal what kind of individuals they really are:

Real bright.

There's a reason this forum is called "The High Road".

atblis
August 27, 2009, 11:45 AM
There are two different Gunscrubber formulations. Here are links to the MSDS sheets.

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/msdspdfs/33235-GSA9.pdf

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/msdspdfs/33340-G2A10.pdf

DAVIDSDIVAD
August 28, 2009, 05:43 PM
I bought some brake cleaner at wal mart that specifically says "safe on automotive plastics" on the can

donato
August 28, 2009, 08:31 PM
Rubber and paint too?

JohnBT
August 28, 2009, 09:16 PM
"Why pay the extra $6, when I can walk literally 50ft and buy the exact same thing?"

Why not, I have a job and too much money.

Really.

John

atblis
August 28, 2009, 10:19 PM
So if somebody offered you $6 to walk 50 ft, you wouldn't do it?

JohnBT
August 30, 2009, 11:40 AM
No, I'd pay 'em $6 not to have to play Simon Says for pocket change.

I'll be 59 next week and have worked since I was 14. Full-time since '74. Haven't had a car payment since '86 or a house payment since - jeez - I can't remember - '96 or '98? I waste money and still live off half my income and I'm just a lowly state human services worker. All those years of regular saving and collecting interest instead of paying it have finally paid big time. Well, big time for a working stiff.

John

pmeisel
August 30, 2009, 12:57 PM
A lot more heat than light in some of the posts on this thread. Thanks to atblis for posting MSDS.

Summary for non-MSDS readers:
1. Old Gunscrubber=Chlorinated=Trichloroethylene. I have an old can I must have bought 15 or 20 years ago. I only use it to clean the inside of my Ruger .22 auto. Trichloroethylene is pretty harsh stuff, typically melts plastics etc, and is known to be carcinogenic. It used to be widely used as an industrial solvent but now most industry safety people either ban it or watch it very carefully.
2. New Gunscrubber=non-chlorinated=Hexane and Isopropyl Alchohol. Still strong stuff but Hexane is not seen as the health threat that Trichlor is. No personal experience on how it interacts with plastic or wood finish, but I wouldn't let it touch the stocks of a gun I cared about.
3. Brake Cleaner = a generic name for a strong cleaning solvent, that you won't know for sure what is in it without reading that manufacturer's MSDS. Trichlor was popular in the old days, dunno if anyone still sells it what with product liability. One popular brand is mostly Acetone with a little methanol and a very little MEK (methyl ethyl ketone). Very strong stuff. Another is mostly Heptane with some ethanol. Another says "petroleum solvent" and alcohol -- petroleum solvent leaves it pretty open, doesn't it?

The MSDS of many of these products shows chemicals that would remind you of paint thinner or even stripper, so gun stock finishes beware.

If you have worked a lot with solvents, you probably know what you are doing, take your chances.

If you haven't -- please use any of these products carefully, even the milder ones may damage finishes. And none of them are good to breathe a lot of fumes.....

My personal recommendation is to save gun scrubber, or acetone (I always have some around) or similar tough solvents, for "metal only" situations and only use them when milder solvents like Hoppe's #9 or the like just aren't up to the job.

9mm+
August 30, 2009, 07:07 PM
Maybe I am the odd-man out by *not* liking Gun Scrubber, at least not for regular cleaning? A stiff bristle brush and Hoppe's #9 seems to get the gunk out of the action just fine without the cleaner getting in keep-out areas.

DAVIDSDIVAD
August 30, 2009, 11:09 PM
Yeah, but sometimes it's really helpful for blasting out the firing pin or extractor channels.

SSN Vet
September 1, 2009, 03:49 PM
Don't know about the Gun Scrubber.... but their Bore Scrubber is the most caustic, wicked nasty gun cleaning fluid I've ever used. I have a big spray bottle of it that will last a loooong time, as I only use it to clean really dirty bores.

and yes..... I were butyl gloves when using the stuff.

middy
September 1, 2009, 05:15 PM
Please wear gloves when using any of this stuff.

JohnBT
September 1, 2009, 08:52 PM
You mean I shouldn't have used it to get the Gorilla Glue off my fingers?

I guess if the nitrobenzene in the old Hoppe's formula hasn't killed a bunch of us yet, something else will. Maybe my father would have lived longer if he'd worn gloves. Oh wait, he'll be 88 in January. :)

Just kidding. But I survived football in the '50s when helmets didn't have face guards and kids could play with cherry bombs and fun stuff. And I never shot my eye out.

John

moooose102
September 1, 2009, 09:22 PM
i use, and like it very much. primarily, i use it on my polymer pistols, but it does make it to the innards of my rifles occasionally. i always buy the synthetic safe style. i try to be very careful whith all chemicals around the wood of any gun. nothing worse than haveing the finish of a nice gun messed up by chemicals.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gunscrubber..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!