Im buying an AR. How many mags should be sufficient?

PDA

Extremely Pro Gun
August 4, 2009, 02:49 AM
I am scared of gun grabbers. I am looking into the Magpul pmag magazines. Have heard great things about them. How many magazines do yall have? How many do i need. I think I want at least 4.

If you enjoyed reading about "Im buying an AR. How many mags should be sufficient?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
doc2rn
August 4, 2009, 02:51 AM
I only have 3 for mine but I can live with that

Mags
August 4, 2009, 02:51 AM
7 to start with 1 in your gun and 3 in each of your 2 mag pouches. (this might get moved to the rifle forum). Remember you can never have too many. And that was a hint you should get 2 GI M16 mag pouches.

ThrottleJockey72
August 4, 2009, 03:06 AM
First you need to decide how much ammo you are going to keep on hand, then you need to know how much ammo you can lift and carry. After these determinations have been made, then you can choose a number (average the two numbers and divide by 30). I don't have an AR, but I have over 700 rounds for my AK/SKS (the SKS is a norinco sporter and takes standard AK mags) all in mags ready to go. And I still need more mags.

lamebums
August 4, 2009, 04:40 AM
If you're scared of the magazines being banned completely along with the guns, then the easy answer is "as many as possible". I have about 15 myself, of a wide variety - including Colt 20 rounders, Pmags, but mostly aluminum GI-style mags. Those seem to be the best all around.

I'd suggest around 10? Although seven as described above also sounds reasonable.

DSAPT9
August 4, 2009, 05:20 AM
I have this problem in that I feel I need a minimum of 15 mags per firearm or I feel it is not a complete tool. I currently have two Ar-15s, two FALs and 4 Glock 19s so needless to say I have a lot of mags. I know it is a sickness but it makes me happy!

MarineOne
August 4, 2009, 05:54 AM
I think the question you need to ask yourself is "How many do I want?", not how many you need.

I would recommend at least somewhere in the 7 to 10 range. Mags will go bad with enough use and will allow you to continue enjoying your day of shooting if you end up with one or two bad mags.

Kris

grunt0311
August 4, 2009, 06:05 AM
7 is a good number. I have 6 30 round mags and a Beta C just for fun.

Shung
August 4, 2009, 06:07 AM
I have 5 AR-15 - I tried to have at least 6 mags per gun.

Bishop.357
August 4, 2009, 06:17 AM
I own 2 AKs' and have 4 30rd mags for each,my wife has a Mini-14 and has 8 20rd mags for it. I recomnd buyin' 5-10 HC mags, just enough so it won't slow you down if yer on the move but enough to sustain you in a prolonged firefight.

DMK
August 4, 2009, 08:22 AM
I like to have at least enough to shoot at a range session without reloading. I hate reloading mags at the range. So that's ten 30rd mags or fifteen 20rd mags.

Then I like a set of spares, so double that number. AR15 mags are only aluminum or plastic remember. Having lived through the AWB, some mags were hard to get (but not AR mags though).

AR mags are really cheap right now. It's worth it to buy a box of new USGI stype mags and put them away for spares, or rotate through them to reduce wear.

I have about 100 AR mags I think. About half are always loaded and stored in ammo cans.

Floppy_D
August 4, 2009, 09:03 AM
Four per weapon is my rule of thumb.

71Commander
August 4, 2009, 09:25 AM
20 or more. Only because 30 or more wasn't an oprion.:p

I would guess that I have about 50 and they're all loaded.

rbernie
August 4, 2009, 09:28 AM
MidwayUSA is currently selling AR-Stoner mags for $9/each. There is no reason to have less than a dozen, and (since they do tend to wear over time) it's simply prudent to have a supply of spares.

CoRoMo
August 4, 2009, 10:20 AM
I have a mixture of USGI, Tapco, and PMAG, and I have to say I like the Magpuls a lot. Ten magazines per rifle is my rule of thumb.

highorder
August 4, 2009, 11:04 AM
AIM Surplus is selling black C-products 30 round mags with anti-tilt followers for $7.95 right now.

They might even be a penny shipping item.

TurboFC3S
August 4, 2009, 11:20 AM
PMAGs are fine and all, but no reason to spend double or triple the cost of other totally reliable mags. The C-Products mags from AIM is probably what I'd get if I needed any, and get a ton of 'em. You'll never find them cheaper than they are right now. Then once you get the big stack of mags, always keep a couple hundred rounds loaded into mags and ready to go.

ArmedBear
August 4, 2009, 12:10 PM
5 million magazines is a reasonable minimum for most people.:D

Gunfighter123
August 4, 2009, 12:14 PM
For ALL of my semi-auto firearms , I think 6-12 mags is THE LEAST that I own !!!

3pairs12
August 4, 2009, 12:19 PM
I currently have about a dozen. I think thats a reasonable amount of mags but at $7.95 a mag I may have to bump it up by another dozen. Also don't limit yourself to only magpul mags they are good mags but so are others.

Expertowgunner
August 4, 2009, 12:45 PM
ive got enough pmags to fit in my chest rig (8) and one in the rifle plus about 4 spares. The rest are either colt, bushmaster, brownells, and one weird a$$ cammenga mag. Bought it at my work from a sales rep. In all ive got 25 and thats all i need for now. BTW a general rule for me is 10 mags a rifle and at least 5 for a pistol

JonB
August 4, 2009, 12:51 PM
Well, depends on your use.

Personally I had 2 -20 rds and 2 30 rds for a long time and that was all I needed. Basic range toy stuff. Have since added 2 more of each in Pmags. Plenty for me.

c5_nc
August 4, 2009, 01:05 PM
I had bought a 50pack of Cproducts mags just after the election for AR-15s and 10 LR-308 mags. Ironically I didn't have a AR at the time(A lot of guns just no ARs) as I was waiting for backorders. Have 3 ARs now and sold every one of those, which I came out pretty good on. The C-products ones certainly work (I actually only opened and used one of them), 100% reliable for me. Pmags just look cool and can buy them cheap enough with a C&R/Dealer account ~$12 I just went that route. Dumped the LR-308s while I could, as pmags will be out soon for half price. I think you need 20rd mags for shooting from a bench, and should have what your rifle case will hold or what you can reasonably carry, that number is probably 5-7 magazines for most people. Depending on the gun I only have 2-5 mags each now, so need a buy a few more.

NWGunner
August 4, 2009, 01:12 PM
20 or more

I have never said to myself "hmm...I think I have too many magazines". It's also good to remember the prices and availability of 30-round mags during the dark years of 1994-2004.

Once you hit triple digits in magazines for any one caliber/gun, you may want to consider slowing down. Until then, buy as many as you can. PMags are good if not indestructible, USGI in any flavor with an anti-tilt followers are probably just as reliable, but slightly less robust. I own and use both and haven't had ANY issues so far.

RP88
August 4, 2009, 01:18 PM
I have 20. I will be getting more eventually.

Start with ten or twenty and work your way up.

rangerruck
August 4, 2009, 01:35 PM
normally , thinking the way you are, I would say a combat load of 8 to 10. but you will also need several , stashed in various places about your property, in your vehicles should you need to get away, etc.,...

gga357
August 4, 2009, 04:02 PM
Min of 6. After that as many as possible.

American Rifleman
August 4, 2009, 05:03 PM
As many as possible.

mcdonl
August 4, 2009, 05:04 PM
You need 1

ZombiesAhead
August 4, 2009, 06:06 PM
A typical minimum military load out is 6 x 30 magazines or 180 rounds plus one in the rifle. (I believe)

Suuri Suomi
August 4, 2009, 06:38 PM
How many mags? Piffle.

Get yerself a Mag Lula loader/unloader. Then teach your pet squirrel sidekick Zippy how to use it. Zippy'll be able to load 30 rounds in under 30 seconds.

"Keep loading, Zippy!"

HardShell
August 4, 2009, 06:39 PM
7 is a good start/minimum for a single AR IMHO.

You may find you have "enough" at some point -- I doubt you'll ever find you have "too many." ;)

jtruog
August 4, 2009, 06:45 PM
As many as possible. Can never have enough. Make sure they are reliable also. Also get some kit to carry the mags(not all of them at once of course). I can recommend Tactical Tailor gear.

AirplaneDoc
August 4, 2009, 06:46 PM
Delete

CoRoMo
August 4, 2009, 06:47 PM
If you're going to take a carbine course, and are required to bring 2,000 rounds to the class, that'd be 70 magazines worth.

So the answer is 70 magazines.:)

browningguy
August 4, 2009, 06:51 PM
I have 4 rifles using AR mags and have 40 mags, so 10 per gun sounds good to me.

cameron.personal
August 4, 2009, 06:54 PM
You need at LEAST 142 magazines, do the moth for God's sake!

Cameron

mljdeckard
August 4, 2009, 06:55 PM
I voted ten, but not necessarily all at once. Start with a few, and buy them one or two at a time when you find bargains. It's good to have extras to leave in your vehicle, on two sets of gear, on the butt of the rifle, velcroed to the top inside edge of your closet, etc. It's also good to have extras if one is bad, has bent lips, etc.

rcmodel
August 4, 2009, 07:00 PM
It's also good to buy all you can afford now.

If the manufacture & sale of hi-cap mags get banned again in the future like they did in 1994, they will be worth more then stocks & bonds.

rc

Click Click Boom
August 4, 2009, 08:41 PM
If there was never a chance of 30 round mags becoming part of another AWB I would say 10-12. You can always replace them as they wear out.

But, what would be a LIFETIME supply if they were to become unavailable?

I would say 100 mags with an extrra 50 springs,followers and floorplates.

FSJeeper
August 4, 2009, 08:57 PM
I think our standard military forces carry 6 loaded mags, the SAS according to a show I saw carry 5 extra plus 300 loose rounds for a one month operation.

I have 20 mags per rifle and if the prices ever come down, I'll buy more.

I do not need that many at all for anything I can see occuring in my world/environment, but magazines are consumables. They wear out or can be damaged. Back when I bought mine, it was cheaper to buy a whole magazine than the parts, thats why I started with 20 each rifle, in case the supply goes dry I'll have a lifetime supply. Alos, i can not foresee prices going down to the rockbottom prices I bought mine for, so kind of an investment also or trading fodder in case shtf.

At the very minimum, I think you need at least a 200 round capacity for the mags you have on hand.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 4, 2009, 08:58 PM
I think 4, or maybe 6 tops.

gondorian
August 4, 2009, 09:24 PM
+1 on above comment. I voted 4, which totals 5 counting one that comes with the gun. This means that your can carry up to 151 rounds at once, which is all you should ever need at one time, even if the excrement does contact the air circulation device. Like many have said before, if you need more than 100+ rounds at a time you don't need more ammo, you need more friends with guns Unless you have unlimited monies it would be better to use your funds on ammo for practice or maybe some nachos or something ;)

August 4, 2009, 09:26 PM
I have the following:

Five 30-round USGI magazines upgraded with anti-tilt followers, chrome silicon springs and MAGPUL L-Plates.

Five 30-round MagLevel PMAGs.

Four 10-round Bushmaster USGI magazines with anti-tilt followers and MAGPUL L-Plates (for matches).

My local gun shop has plenty of PMAGs in stock so I'll be picking up some more this week. As for how many magazines should be sufficient ... that's a personal choice. If you only have 50 rounds of loaded ammunition on hand, then five 30-round magazines is pointless. I like to have a loaded 30-round magazine in each AR (in the safe) plus I'd like to have five spare 30-round magazines LOADED for each AR and sufficient LOADED ammunition on hand to load ALL of the remaining magazines that I have. You never know if you'll need to leave your house under stressful circumstances within 5 minutes or less ... you don't want to be loading magazines at that point.

:)

Bones11b
August 4, 2009, 09:34 PM
7 was my pick so I voted 8, better one too many than one too few.

jeremy1391
August 4, 2009, 11:09 PM
20 aluminum GI mags with no tilt followers is a good place to start.

pearidge
August 5, 2009, 12:26 AM
Minimum of 10, but hey load up while you can get them. Wish I had bought many more 7 years ago. Someday they will wear out or a friend may need some. Great Christmas present.

Dr_2_B
August 5, 2009, 12:58 AM
I'm surprised to see how many have 20+

jojo200517
August 5, 2009, 01:08 AM
For me in the ak its a good round 10. lets me put 6 in the mag bag, 1 in the rifle and 3 in side pouch of backpack. Can keep an 11th mag (5 rounder) in pants pocket just in case **** truly hits the fan. I do intend to buy more and find a 100 rd drum for ****s and giggles.

All the AR mags I see look thin to me US mil issue or whatever, so I voted as many as ya can.

I have never said to myself "hmm...I think I have too many magazines". Load all your mags and place them in a box and tote it around a while. You might not say you think you have to many but if you have at least half enough you'll complain its heavy as heck.

PandaBearBG
August 5, 2009, 07:10 AM
7, 6 to carry 1 in the chamber, well as the standard load out of the basic infantryman. thats 210 rounds, and that is plenty to carry. But always get more, can't hurt. You can bulk up and buy a hundred or you can just wait around and find a good deal here and there and buy at your leisure as you spend most of that money buying ammuniton.

DMK
August 5, 2009, 10:23 AM
magazines are consumables. They wear out or can be damaged

If there was never a chance of 30 round mags becoming part of another AWB I would say 10-12. You can always replace them as they wear out.

The best comments in the thread.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 5, 2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I agree that when I said 4 or maybe 6 above, that would be theoretically, ideally, ASSUMING the government is not going to ban their manufacture anytime soon. Since we cannot be assured of that, it would be nice if ALL of us had 20 or more in store, to keep the supply up for a good 50-100 years after any ban (assuming possession is grandfathered).

ny32182
August 5, 2009, 10:53 AM
I don't even know an exact number right off hand, but good guess is probably around 25 for me right now; roughly 10 PMAG 30s, 12 GI 30's, and 3 GI-ish 20's (use these for shooting on the bench at the range.)

Mag prices being what they are at the moment, I intend to double or triple that number before the year is out. Buy low, sell high. One thing you can be assured of is that they will *never* be cheaper than they are right now. I commend the mag manufacturers on getting the supply back out there in a big way now after the panic.

I also buy a variety and will continue to do so. PMAGs are great, but I don't want to get 10 years down the line and find out there is something wrong with the plastic that causes it to get brittle or something.

jackdanson
August 5, 2009, 01:15 PM
I have about 30, I have 3 AR's.

No reason to not stock up now, they are pretty cheap. I'd suggest getting at least 20. If god-forbid there is a ban you want to make sure you have enough for a lifetime+.

Over half of mine are still in the packaging. I usually only use the 20 rounders at the range.

mp5a3
August 5, 2009, 02:43 PM
I keep a lot of mine in the packaging too.

Has anyone used the 2009 revision PMAG's. Are they really any better ?

mp5a3
August 5, 2009, 02:45 PM
Oh, yea, I have 25-30, I think. I like the Black "Cage Industries" G.I. mags with the Magpul followers.

PandaBearBG
August 5, 2009, 04:07 PM
I heard that the '09's are made of a different polymer, with a new follower, you can snap the dust cover on the bottom, but I have heard that some guys say they are too snug that they dont really drop and get stuck in the mag well.

rbernie
August 5, 2009, 04:11 PM
AR15 Mags for $9/each:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=219593&utm_source=f_ar_stoner_mag

http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=32_36&products_id=1301

http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=32_36&products_id=605

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ar230grtemag.html

D&H with Magpul followers for $10/each:

http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?products_id=1027

HardShell
August 5, 2009, 04:28 PM
Not to take anything away from rbernie's post above or the links/companies he posted, but 44MAG.COM also has several AR mags in that price range (including D&H black teflons, some of my favorites once I add a Magpul follower, for $8.99) and free shipping for orders of $200 or more:

http://www.44mag.com/products.asp?dept=1326

Good folks to deal with -- I cannot tell you how many mags I have ordered from them over the years.

ctbullseye
August 5, 2009, 05:09 PM
Don't use my count as a tool to follow, but I have several AR platforms, all 5.56, and my mag count is at around 200+. When shootin, I have 7 loaded with me (and a pile of ammo), when I had 2 AR's my count was about 50-70. Like said before, wait until you see deals and buy quantity.

Redneck with a 40
August 5, 2009, 09:45 PM
I have (5) 20 round magazines for my mini-14, I call that sufficient.:)

PMROY
August 5, 2009, 10:09 PM
I am a very frugal guy so my response will probably seem inadequate. I have two AR's so I have 2 Magpul 30 rounders , 4 metal 30 rounders and 2 20 rounders per rifle. If I cannot get it done with 220 rounds per rifle or 440 in one, the crap really hit the fan. So the simple answer is 8 per rifle.:rolleyes:

tactikel
August 5, 2009, 10:23 PM
+1 one Stoner Mags at Midway -$9 for a quality mag is their way of saying "sorry for all the BS you have had to put up with"
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=219593&utm_source=f_ar_stoner_mag&utm_medium=homepage073109

AR mags will only become more valuable if there is a ban (maybe on the black market?) you really cant lose. get as many as you may need for 10 years and then double it-12 or so is about right. :)

DMK
August 5, 2009, 10:34 PM
http://www.44mag.com/products.asp?dept=1326

Good folks to deal with -- I cannot tell you how many mags I have ordered from them over the years.
+1 A large percentage of my mags came from them.

Art Eatman
August 5, 2009, 11:57 PM
Sure, in the event of some sort of ban on future manufacture, you gotta consider wear and tear over the years.

But if your problems in some reasonably-expected set of hostilities can't be settled with one mag full, odds are that you don't need more ammo.

You need more people on your side.

nutnless220
August 6, 2009, 12:30 AM
I have 54 AR mags. All pmags.
I sold all my USGI, and bought more pmags.

I have 2 AR's

I plan on buying 10 a month until I can't buy them anymore or I reach 200 mags.

August 6, 2009, 05:31 AM

$3000 tied up in magazines!! :what: I'd rather have another POF rifle with 10 loaded magazines for me, my wife or some other friendly to use if I'm going to spend $3000. In fact, it'd be a POF in .308 for that kind of money. Two or three people with 10 30-round loaded magazines are a lot more effective than one person with 200 ... just my opinion of course so no offense meant. You're free to spend your hard-earned money on whatever you like.

:)

CZguy
August 6, 2009, 06:34 AM

:what: It does beg the question, what troop levels you anticipate defending yourself from. :p

Coronach
August 6, 2009, 06:45 AM
What is your intended use? How often do you shoot? Do you take carbine/rifle classes? Do you anticipate a ban and do you want a lifetime supply?

Without knowing the answers to these questions, you cannot answer the original question. Otherwise, you're just picking an arbitrary number. If you want me to do that, fine. 37. 37 is the exact number of magazines you will need. Go buy 37, and all will be copacetic.

Seriously, though. If you take the rifle to the range twice a year, shoot from a bench and don't drop your mags on the deck, you can probably get by with 4 mags for the rest of your life. If, on the other hand, you plan to shoot thousands of rounds a year, take some carbine classes, and generally train the rifle as a combat arm, YOU WILL BREAK MAGAZINES. So, plan on having some spares around. When you anticipate a ban in conjunction with that use, the numbers start to spiral upwards.

Look at it this way. Do you ever think you'll see quality AR mags for signifcantly cheaper that $9/magazine? If not (and I don't), what you have here, in addition to a useful tool for your gun hobby, is an investment. If you buy 20 mags at $10/each and eventually sell them at $25 each, you've done pretty well for yourself.

Look at what AR mags were going for during the height of the AWB.

Mike

EdLaver
August 6, 2009, 03:54 PM
I think I have accumulated about 20 or so, but I voted 10. They look so tempting at gun shows and I'm just like "Hey never can have enough, what the hell."

Maverick223
August 6, 2009, 08:28 PM
I think 4 is compulsory...but I have little use for 30rnd mags...I prefer 20s. Personally I have 4x 20s (all are PMags...with plans to double that), 2x 30s (1 LaBelle USGI, 1 PMag), and one lonely 10 rounder (Bushmaster IIRC). :)

CTW
August 6, 2009, 09:40 PM
My favorite aluminum mags are the D&H black teflon coated with enhanced followers and of course P-mags. I recently picked up 10 british surplus steel mags I am gonna put anti tilt followers in, they seem real sturdy. I cannot complain with the 5 20 round brownells mags I have either. All in all I have 37 mags total between 3 AR's.

Brian Williams
August 6, 2009, 10:20 PM
I am "meh" about ARs and I have 10 mags with my 1 AR

Maverick223
August 6, 2009, 11:49 PM
I am "meh" about ARs and I have 10 mags with my 1 ARI don't even have a AR and have 7 mags...with plans for at least 4 more. :)

Oh...but I do have a rifle that takes AR mags...did I leave that out? :D

Zach S
August 7, 2009, 03:26 PM
Seven 30s at minimum. Plus at least one 20 rounder (for shooting off the bench).

Then as many as you can afford. My biggest financial problem and I split up, and as soon as my bank account recovers from my marriage I'm going to get back to buying at least one magazine for something out of every paycheck.

HardShell
August 7, 2009, 04:45 PM
I don't even have a AR and have 7 mags...with plans for at least 4 more. :)

Oh...but I do have a rifle that takes AR mags...did I leave that out? :D

Bullpup, Daewoo, Kel-Tec, or something even less common?... :)

Maverick223
August 7, 2009, 08:20 PM
Bullpup, Daewoo, Kel-Tec, or something even less common?...Is a Bushmaster M17S Bullpup...love that little rifle. :)

HardShell
August 7, 2009, 11:28 PM
Is a Bushmaster M17S Bullpup...love that little rifle. :)

Yep, lots of fun.

Sadly, I had mine down at KKF for extensive mods when he was killed. :(

Got it back, still stock, but I have a line on another 'smith for it...

Muley
August 7, 2009, 11:42 PM
I depends entirely on how paranoid a man is and how much he likes to shoot before loading his mags again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

trigga
August 8, 2009, 12:46 AM
i only have 3, i should get more.

Rshooter
August 8, 2009, 02:39 AM
I would say it depends on the gun. My AR I would say 20. My M1A I would say 5 and a lot of stripper clips. My wife's mini, after 5 it will be really hot and she will want the AR, she is an expert rifleman.

TexasPatriot.308
August 8, 2009, 03:50 AM
thats like being single, loaded, good looking and wondering how many women you need to limit yourself to.:evil:

Extremely Pro Gun
August 11, 2009, 10:55 PM

I would say 100 mags with an extrra 50 springs,followers and floorplates.

Dont some mag companies offer a warranty?

Maverick223
August 11, 2009, 11:05 PM
Dont some mag companies offer a warranty?Good question...that I am not sure of the answer to...I would imagine that ultra-rugged P-Mags have a lifetime warranty or at least some warranty (this has not been confirmed) on the body, but I doubt that anyone guarantees the spring. :)

HardShell
August 12, 2009, 01:04 PM
Just FYI for anyone wanting to stock up in bulk -- Cope's has added some 100-count cases of mags to their current offerings at very good prices, especially considering their flat shipping rates.

http://www.copesdistributing.net/index.php

murdoc rose
August 16, 2009, 04:29 AM
lol wow I hope I never need 10+ mags for a gun

HardShell
August 16, 2009, 10:13 AM
lol wow I hope I never need 10+ mags for a gun

Some people have more that one AR to feed.

Some of us have many, many more than one... ;)

(And, as has already been pointed out, they do wear out and they have been banned before/could be again, etc.)

Reid73
August 17, 2009, 02:34 PM
depends entirely on how paranoid a man is and how much he likes to shoot before loading his mags againExactly right.

I would say a combat load of 8 to 10. but you will also need several, stashed in various places about your property, in your vehicles should you need to get away, etc.,... This is a joke, right? :confused:

ParaElite
August 17, 2009, 07:11 PM
Magazines are considered disposable. Even with Pmags I would get 8-10 per black rifle I owned at least. That is not paranoia, it's prudence. Better to have them and not need them than to need them, not have them and try to borrow them from someone who is banging away at the zombie hordes.:eek::scrutiny::D

tactikel
August 17, 2009, 08:54 PM
+1 on the 8-10 per rifle, 6 loaded and 2-4 as backup. You can't have too many mags, if there ever is another ban:cuss: -they will be worth their weight in gold. I like Stoner AR mags from Midway with the grey followers, great mags, and always on sale (were $9 last month). Think of it this way, if you had NO mags what would your $1100 AR be worth?:what:

Hammerhead6814
August 17, 2009, 09:26 PM
Well this is an AR-15. .223 being 30 rounds per animal, I'd say... 100 of them?

ChCx2744
August 17, 2009, 09:31 PM
I was in the same dilemma that you are in...I bought a MidwayUSA rifle bag with 6 mag pouches so I bought 6 additional mags...1 in the gun and 6 in the pouches...Solved MY dilemma :)

cameron.personal
August 18, 2009, 12:40 AM
and this is just some of my black P-Mags....

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss60/cameron_personal/Misc/DSCF4439.jpg

Maverick223
August 18, 2009, 01:29 AM
Yep, lots of fun.
Sadly, I had mine down at KKF for extensive mods when he was killed.
Got it back, still stock, but I have a line on another 'smith for it...Just saw your response, you may want to check out the thread I made, found here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=459222), dedicated to fixing some of the inherent design flaws in the M17...if you (or anyone else) has any other ideas/upgrades please let me know, the gun is my never ending project (and favorite non-heirloom gun). :)

A-FIXER
August 19, 2009, 11:50 PM
I voted for 20 or more but is not revelant if you don't have the ammo to feed'em and testing the mags....

Younggunner
August 20, 2009, 12:34 AM
I say 10 and a 100 round drum in case 30 rounds ain't enough.

sarduy
August 20, 2009, 12:36 AM
Im buying an AR. How many mags should be sufficient?

As many as you can buy & carry!

Greebe
August 20, 2009, 01:09 AM
get 1000 of them suckers that way you never have to reload one in the end of the world scenario. LOL Might be hard to carry all of them though at one time.

Greebe

If you enjoyed reading about "Im buying an AR. How many mags should be sufficient?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!