Civil War references

PDA

JohnL2
August 4, 2009, 11:34 AM
Is there an authoritative reference or book about American Civil War weaponry?
Perhaps specifically by Union Armies and even regiments. Something along the lines of Jane's books.

If you enjoyed reading about "Civil War references" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCsmitty
August 4, 2009, 11:56 AM
I have a excellent reference book at my house, but am not there right now, so I cannot give you the name and author.
I would go to Amazon.com, do a search, and see what they offer.
It was an amazing time in history.
Good luck.

NCsmitty

TEDDY
August 4, 2009, 05:09 PM
CIVIL WAR GUNS by William B Edwards 444 pges hard cover Stackpole 1962.
a most eye opening volumn.about any arm use in civil war.
I have several other civil war books on equipment and guns.
Edwards book has the ordnance depts records.:uhoh:

jimmyraythomason
August 4, 2009, 05:31 PM
NC smitty,I don't think "amazing time" is a very apt description of our time in hell. I will say for the researcher it is a fascinating time. For those who lived it, soldier and civilian it was pure unadulterated misery. To get outside the norm,study the arms of Col. Mosby and his men,Quantrill's raiders and William (Bloody Bill) Anderson.

Jim K
August 4, 2009, 06:16 PM
There are dozens of books about CW weaponry, some highly detailed, others general. Probably Bill Edwards' book is the best general book, and is well written.

There are books about the Spencer, the Sharps, etc., that go into more detail on specific weapons. One book that has some items of interest is The Rifled Musket, by Claude Fuller, which I think is now out of print. A good source if you like such details as the number of .577/.58 cartridges produced (470,851,342) or the number of percussion caps made (1,220,555,435).

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Civil War references" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!