.22LR in .22 magnum

PDA

Arioch
August 4, 2009, 01:03 PM
Does anyone know where to get chamber inserts to shoot .22LR in .22 mag revolvers?

If you enjoyed reading about ".22LR in .22 magnum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
August 4, 2009, 01:13 PM
There is no such animal.

Not enough differance in the sizes of the chambers to make an insert work as it would have to be paper-thin.

If you have a .22 Mag, you have a .22 Mag, unless you also have an interchangable .22RF cylinder you can swap out.

Simple as that.

rc

Arioch
August 7, 2009, 08:21 AM
Actually, I'd seen them years ago, just can't find any right now.

Jim Watson
August 7, 2009, 09:10 AM
Ah, squishy bug, your Google fu is weak.
http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

A friend of mine claimed to have just cut the heads off of fired .22 magnums to sleeve the chambers for long rifles, but I did not see him in action before he traded the gun away.

bensdad
August 7, 2009, 09:15 AM
http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

It seems as though these people claim to have one. However, I'm with RC on this one. I can't imagine how such a thing could possibly work.

rcmodel
August 7, 2009, 11:28 AM
I ain't buying it.

A .22 LR case measures .224".
A .22 WMR measures .238".

Or a difference of .014".
That makes each chamber insert wall .007" thick, or about the same as three layers of Scotch Tape, or two Post-It notes!

I believe the fired .22 case would expand inside the chamber insert, and expand it as well,
You could only use it for one shot, because you couldn't get the fired .22 case out without crushing the chamber insert between two fingers.

rc

JohnBT
August 7, 2009, 12:40 PM
"Our adapters are made for rifles"

I don't know why, but that's what the MCA site says. Probably something to do with extraction.

matrem
August 7, 2009, 08:29 PM
A friend of mine claimed to have just cut the heads off of fired .22 magnums to sleeve the chambers for long rifles,
I have done that...years ago.
Was it safe? Don't know.
Did it work? Yep..

Ron James
August 9, 2009, 04:40 PM
This question has been nagging at the back of may head since August, so today I went out to my bench, took four different 22 magnum cartridges and cut the bottoms off. The only way I could get a 22 long rifle to fit was with a vise. Now perhaps , once fired they may expand enought, so next week I plan on firing a couple different guns just to get a couple of empty , once fire shells and I'll try it again.:confused:

rcmodel
August 9, 2009, 04:51 PM
I was going to try the same thing as you did but hadn't got a round tuit yet.

I bet you can't get the emptys out if you do get them in and shoot them!

Be interesting to see your results with fired cases.
But I'm betting against it.

rc

matrem
August 9, 2009, 05:45 PM
But I'm betting against it.

Don't bet too much.
Anyone that's doubts what I said I've done,can PM me & I'll mail you a fired .22mag case(from my current Marlin 25MN),and you can insert your own .22lr cartridge in it.
I will add that as far as I've tried,it's a one time "bushing"

rcmodel
August 9, 2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the offer but I have two .22 WMR's and one .22 WRF. (2 Winchesters and a Colt.)

I just haven't had a chance to try it yet.

rc

Walkalong
August 9, 2009, 05:53 PM
Sounds like a lot of trouble to me.

In a pinch, you can just shoot the LR in the mag chamber. You will take a chance of the case splitting and spitting crap all over, but it will shoot, in a pinch. :uhoh:

You DO have shooting glasses, don't you? ;)

Bottom line is, I am going to take my NAA Mini revolver in .22 Mag with me next range trip, and try the cut off head mag cases as adapters, just cause curiosity killed the cat. :)

matrem
August 9, 2009, 07:56 PM
Just back from shooting a few .22mag rounds through Marlin.The .22mag ammo I had on hand were Win Supreme & Fed Classic.
The .22LR on hand were Rem Golden bullets & Win Wildcat.
Both rimfire cartridges inserted relatively easily(no tools ,a bit of spinning by hand) into the fired .22 mag Super X case.
Neither LR round would insert into the Fed (magnum) cases,in fact I split a case forcing a rimfire round in.

RBANNON
August 10, 2009, 01:32 PM
I think I remember a gun mag written/published by Phil Engledrum(sp?) where he was testing a Colt double action revolver in 22 mag and he went ahead and shot 22 lr through the thing. My impression of Phil was that he was a bit "ornery" but I sure enjoyed his writing.

matrem
August 17, 2009, 07:52 PM
Had a chance this week to do a bit more experimenting,this time with a Win model 61.
With fired CCI Maxi-Mag & Win white box,all of the .22 LR rounds that I tried easily inserted into the mag cases.This time(vrs Sunday) I actually had a high speed cut-off tool handy,and didn't have to try the small (neck) end.
I've now proven,again (at least to myself) that a .22 mag case makes an adequate bushing for .22 LR.
Curious about the others on this thread who are going to /have tried it?

sonier
August 18, 2009, 09:04 PM
well it works, getting the case out of the chamber is rather impossible without a cleaning rod. um pretty much just as accurate as normal rifles go. getting 22 lr case out of the 22 mag is impossible feat without damaging existing mag case. but preety fun near useless fact that i now know lol

matrem
August 19, 2009, 06:37 PM
but preety fun near useless fact that i now know
Won't argue that a bit!

Ron James
August 22, 2009, 08:26 PM
Yep, it works. a 22 cartridge will slide into a fired 22 magnum casing. Made some inserts and fired them in a Davis 22 mag Derringer ( didn't want to risk anything ese. } they fired but as stated the 22 casing did not want to come out so it is more or less a one time deal.:)

If you enjoyed reading about ".22LR in .22 magnum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!