New Premier Reticles Heritage

PDA

Maverick223
August 4, 2009, 08:38 PM
Received my new PR Heritage 5-25x56mm yesterday, and I can confirm that it was worth the wait. I looks to be quite beefy and very well constructed...and big...the 34mm tube is quite large, and seems larger when in hand (the only PR that I had the opportunity to play with was mounted and seemed smaller. I can only imagine what a 40mm tube (used by IOR-Valdada) would feel like. It isn't light, but that is also expected and I am in no way disappointed as this adds strength and will help to absorb the magnum recoil (for me and the optics themselves). The optic is also clear and bright with very good definition. The reticle is amazing (Gen II XR). The adjustments are good and it has plenty of it (27mil). I really like the click, click, clunk adjustments. The windage is a little lacking (only +/- 6mil, but that should more than suffice and no doubt is the reason for the generous elevation. The anodizing and the finish work on the scope is as expected for a scope of this caliber. The only part I found to be lacking is the box and the instructions...and if you are worried about either spend the extra grand and get a S&B with comparable (or even inferior) optical quality and $1k more. :)

Will post pics soon...probably tonight. Unfortunately the rifle (which was due 2 mo. ago :cuss:) has not arrived...so...the range review is a couple weeks off. :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "New Premier Reticles Heritage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
August 4, 2009, 10:27 PM
Maverick ... GREAT news on the scope!! I'm eagerly awaiting photos of the scope (sooner) and a range report (later) once your rifle arrives. I finally got to experience a couple of Nightforce scopes in recent weeks. I spent quite a bit of time "playing" with one at the range (no shooting involved) a couple of weeks ago, and then last Sunday, I got to shoot a tactical .300 WSM (with muzzle brake) rifle with a Nightforce scope mounted. Great rifle and an excellent scope .... it was one of the 5.5-22x56 Mil-Dot versions. Anyway, congratulations on the PRH and get busy with that camera.

Scott at Liberty Optics is a good guy and he's been very diligent about updating me on the status of the Zeiss Conquest that I'm waiting for. I wonder why he doesn't list the PRH line under "Riflescopes" ...

http://www.libertyoptics.com/index1.html

:)

Maverick223
August 4, 2009, 10:36 PM
Scott at Liberty Optics is a good guy and he's been very diligent about updating me on the status of the Zeiss Conquest that I'm waiting for. I wonder why he doesn't list the PRH line under "Riflescopes"Yes he is, I updated the thread that I created on his behalf, because he said that he was too busy for THR (that looser :neener:)...though he did say that he would join when the optics market started to cool down and he had more time. He has the PR line on his homepage, but to be perfectly honest I haden't noticed that they weren't on the riflescopes link.

Will update with lots of glossy prints shortly...been a long few days. Oh, and thanks 1858 for commenting...I was beginning to think that there was no interest and was debating adding anything. :)

Maverick223
August 4, 2009, 11:06 PM
Photos of lucky number 000367...enjoy. :)
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Maverick223_album/IMG_4435.jpg
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Maverick223_album/IMG_4440.jpg
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Maverick223_album/IMG_4441.jpg

August 4, 2009, 11:25 PM
Mav, time to get out a duster ... :neener: ... and what are those cams/levers for on the elevation and windage knobs? Are they to reset the knobs to zero? So you have +/- 6m of windage adjusmtent at 1000m ... that should be enough depending on the caliber you're shooting. What rings and base are you going to use?

Maverick223
August 4, 2009, 11:46 PM
time to get out a dusterI know, every time I use the macro function for close-up photos it appears really dusty or even scratched up (even when it is seeming clean, just out of the box).
what are those cams/levers for on the elevation and windage knobsThose are cams for zeroing the scope. You adjust the scope as normal but instead of a set screw to zero you simply lift the cam (using a cartridge base or small screwdriver) and rotate to reflect the zero. Played with it a little this afternoon and it seems to work pretty well.
So you have +/- 6m of windage adjusmtent at 1000m ... that should be enough depending on the caliber you're shooting.That's right...just seems like a small amount when compared to the adjustment available for elevation.
What rings and base are you going to use?Rings will (should) be one-piece DTA rings formulated specifically for the SRS to give the proper cheek weld. Still waiting on those too...so don't remind me. :banghead:

One thing that is a little confusing is the adjustment range in elevation, supposedly there is only one metric version (27mil), but it only seems to go to about 22mil (the range for some but not all of the 3-15x models). I will have to call Scott and see what the issue is...hopefully I am missing something, but I fear that I am not. All else fails perhaps PR will swap out the turret for me...I really would like the full range of adjustment of elevation...I just hope that PR didn't change their minds and decide to use the lesser value on the higher magnification scope. Another small detail that I don't care for too much is the Butler Creek cap on the objective lens (the eyepiece is PR branded Tenebraex and seems to work much better for this scope). I don't normally have an issue with BC caps but this one seems to be very difficult to open/close...I think I may look for a more suitable replacement...but I believe that I will survive this small nit picking issue either way. :)

pdd614
August 5, 2009, 12:09 AM
welcome to the premier club. i love mine. bought this 3-15 from scott a couple months ago. nothing but pure joy to shoot.
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae65/pdd614/100_3987_2-1.jpg

Maverick223
August 5, 2009, 12:43 AM
Looks nice pdd...sure wish I could join the "I have a rifle to put it on" club too...starting to get really anxious considering I have all of the accessories (scope, bipod, sling, even ammo) with no rifle, which incidentally was scheduled to arrive prior to the scope...in May (and yes this year). Since you have had your's for awhile is there anything that I might be missing as far as the range of adjustment (assuming that you have the double turn version)? It looks like the 27mil double turn MTC (more tactile click) model according to the markings and the pop-out indicator...but will not turn past about 22.5mil. :)

Will Fennell
August 5, 2009, 01:03 AM
Mav,
I looked hard at that scope[online] for quite awhile, along with the NF 3.5x15 F1. I placed my order for the NF a couple of weeks ago, but I must admit, the Premier was very tempting. I'm just down the road, maybe when mine gets in, we can compare?

gvnwst
August 5, 2009, 01:09 AM
Schveeeeeeet....! I like it.

Maverick223
August 5, 2009, 01:11 AM
maybe when mine gets in, we can compare?Sure thing, I have played with NF scopes a little, but don't have a great deal of experience with them so I wouldn't mind doing that at all. :)

August 5, 2009, 01:59 AM
One thing that is a little confusing is the adjustment range in elevation, supposedly there is only one metric version (27mil), but it only seems to go to about 22mil (the range for some but not all of the 3-15x models).

Mav, so the scope has a zero stop and you have +22 mils of elevation from there? If so, that's plenty for a 168gr .308 Win. You'd need about 13.4 mils of comeup at 1000m, 16.1 mils at 1100m, 19.2 mils at 1200m and 22.6 mils at 1300m. You ordered the Scout in .338 Lapua right, so it'd be even less of a problem? For a 250gr bullet you'd have enough vertical adjustment all the way out to 1600m (over one mile). You could get all the way out to 1700m with a 300gr bullet. Anyway, it'll be interesting to hear what the explanation is.

http://128.171.62.162/hawthorn-engineering/thr/rifles/dt-srs-338lm-2.jpg

pdd614
August 5, 2009, 08:14 AM
i don't have full range of adjustment from my hundred yard zero either, but then again i'm only using a 20 moa base. i believe our scopes our scopes where shipped centered in adjustment, and with the zero stop will not actually let your get down to bottoming out the scope without resetting the zero. try loosening the elevation and turning the knob to 10 or 11 mils. then tighten the knob again. return to zero and count how much total elevation you have now.

by the way, i'm jealous of you righties. if I could have bought a lefty dta or sako trg22, I wouldn't have had to piece together my 6.5x47

Maverick223
August 5, 2009, 04:08 PM
You ordered the Scout in .338 Lapua rightNo sir, and I am rather glad that I did not (due to the exorbitant cost of ammo...including reloads). I went with the .300WM however I do plan to upgrade to .338LM when my skill exceeds my current caliber (if/when I become proficient enough to make an attempt at 1mi.)...in other words it will probably be a while. The .300WM suits my needs just fine for now and the ammo (even factory) is reasonable. The base that I ordered has 40MOA of elevation, so my worries are very likely unfounded...I just would like to know if there is anything wrong before I mount and have my rig ready. Scott need not fear my phone call. :)

Maverick223
August 5, 2009, 04:10 PM
i believe our scopes our scopes where shipped centered in adjustment, and with the zero stop will not actually let your get down to bottoming out the scope without resetting the zero. try loosening the elevation and turning the knob to 10 or 11 mils. then tighten the knob again. return to zero and count how much total elevation you have now.I will definitely give that a shot this afternoon. Thanks for the advice. :)

by the way, i'm jealous of you righties.Yep, they (we) get all the cool stuff like bullpup rifles. :neener:

August 6, 2009, 05:21 AM
Mav, I only saw .308 Win or .338 Lapua on DTA's "specifications" page ...

http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/specs.html

... but the .300 Win Mag is an excellent choice. I like mine ... sadly not a DTA model but still a great rifle/caliber. If you're going to reload, I highly recommend Hornady's 208gr A-MAX bullet.

So did pdd614's tip work out for you?

Maverick223
August 6, 2009, 07:40 PM
Mav, I only saw .308 Win or .338 Lapua on DTA's "specifications" page ...Perhaps that is why I don't have mine...it doesn't exist. :cuss:

Seems things have changed on their home page...the Order Form (http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/forms/gun_order_form.pdf) didn't exist when I ordered...you called and they sent you an ad hoc form to fill out with the specs that you wanted...then they get it wrong and you correct...repeat...
I highly recommend Hornady's 208gr A-MAX bullet.That will likely be the first round that I handload for it...right now I have a box of Rem. Core Lokt (to get me on paper and for the break in), three boxes of HSM Precision Match, and from there on ou it will be handloads for accuracy. Do you have any recipes that you would like to share...I am just starting to handload and could use some advice as to a good load to start/experiment with (for 5.56/.223 and hot .45-70 loads as well if you have any). Any advice is much appreciated.
So did pdd614's tip work out for you?Yep it sure did, Scott (from Liberty Optics) said the same thing...went home tried it...worked as advertised. Thanks pdd614. :cool:

August 6, 2009, 08:05 PM
I am just starting to handload and could use some advice as to a good load to start/experiment with (for 5.56/.223 and hot .45-70 loads as well if you have any). Any advice is much appreciated.

For my .300 Win Mag, I'm using 71.7gr of Reloder 22, CCI 250 primers and a 208gr A-MAX bullet seated 0.020" off the lands. That load has been chronographed at an average velocity of 2,850 fps out of my 26" Krieger barrel. I use W-W Super and Norma cases. The Norma brass is much more consistent in terms of weight but the W-W Super cases are on average about 25 grains heavier.

I have two good loads for .223 for my 24" AR. Both use the 77gr SMK HPBT in front of either 25.0gr of Varget or 24.8gr of IMR 4895.

As for the .45-70, I've been using VihtaVuori N130 and have tried everthing from 43.0gr up to 48.0gr behind a 405gr Remington JSP. The recoil from my two Marlin rifles is on the severe side so at this point I still don't know where the sweet spot is since grouping seems to be more about me than the load at this point.

Good news re your PRH elevation adjustment.

pdd614
August 6, 2009, 08:06 PM
no problem Mav. let me know if you have any more questions.

pdd614
August 6, 2009, 08:15 PM
i only wish premier would come out with a 2-10 heritage that was about 10 inches long. that scope coupled with the double turn knob and gen2 reticle would be just about perfect for my spr-ish ar15.

keeping my fingers crossed, but will probably end up with a nightforce before to long.

Maverick223
August 6, 2009, 11:10 PM
For my .300 Win Mag, I'm using 71.7gr of Reloder 22, CCI 250 primers and a 208gr A-MAX bullet seated 0.020" off the lands. That load has been chronographed at an average velocity of 2,850 fps out of my 26" Krieger barrel. I use W-W Super and Norma cases. The Norma brass is much more consistent in terms of weight but the W-W Super cases are on average about 25 grains heavier.That will be just about perfect for my 26" bbl DTA-SRS

I have two good loads for .223 for my 24" AR. Both use the 77gr SMK HPBT in front of either 25.0gr of Varget or 24.8gr of IMR 4895.Looking for something on the cheap side for .223 and .45-70 so I don't know that this will fit the bill...and I'm not real sure that it will stabilize in my 21.5" 1:9 bbl but I will look at using IMR-4895 for powder.

As for the .45-70, I've been using VihtaVuori N130 and have tried everthing from 43.0gr up to 48.0gr behind a 405gr Remington JSP. The recoil from my two Marlin rifles is on the severe side so at this point I still don't know where the sweet spot is since grouping seems to be more about me than the load at this point.How easy is it to find N130? I saw it in my Lyman's but skipped it over because I figured it would be hard to find (never heard of it). If I can find it that looks to be a winner, I was considering using just those bullets (I am thinking I may not start casting...at least for now).

Good news re your PRH elevation adjustment.Very good news...good enough for 1mi. shots out of a .300WM with the 40MOA base...can't ask for more than that. :)

Maverick223
August 6, 2009, 11:12 PM
i only wish premier would come out with a 2-10 heritage that was about 10 inches long.That would be a pretty nice scope...but would probably be a little above my "carbine class" optics. I had to save for quite some time...and sell a couple of pistols :what: to purchase the long range rig that I will [hopefully] soon have. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "New Premier Reticles Heritage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!