looking for optics opinions

PDA

mptrimshop
August 4, 2009, 09:58 PM
i recantly bought my first long range rifle and i need to get an optic for it. and to be honest i really am unsure on what to get .... i would like to get something around $350-300...but if i was going to make that much of a difference i would spend up to $600..... i will want to target shoot and maybey some yoties ( .308 kinda big for that)... rings an base options are open to

If you enjoyed reading about "looking for optics opinions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P.B.Walsh
August 4, 2009, 10:32 PM
Check out the Super Sniper 10x42mm, gets great reviews. :)

otrman
August 4, 2009, 11:20 PM
Also check out Falcon Menace and the Bushnell 4200

jpwilly
August 4, 2009, 11:27 PM
I picked up the same rifle around the 4th of July. For now it's got Wal-Mart Centerpoint 4-16-40mm IR Mil-Dot Scope and Weaver aluminum bases until I sell something (I don't want to sell stuff) or start making money some extra again, I'm in tech sales, in this economy...well you get it. I took the cheek peice off and have a shorter 6"-9" bipod on it now too.

The rifle performed as expected during break in delivering sub MOA with most groups.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/Targets168gr44grVarget.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/DSCN0110.jpg

P.B.Walsh
August 4, 2009, 11:29 PM
The Falcon will run you around $400-$450, however they have variable power and a FFP, so I would think that the extra $50-$100 would definately worth it. :)

Wow, nice shooting!!

257WM_CDL-SF
August 4, 2009, 11:51 PM
you might look at the Sightrons.I put a new Big Sky 4.5X14x42 on my 257 and absolutely love it great optics.Precise and repeatable adjustments,and love the HHR reticle

jpcolt76
August 5, 2009, 08:11 AM
Nikons are awesome!

pdd614
August 5, 2009, 08:54 AM
before recommending a scope i want you to consider how much its going to cost to actually fire this rifle. if you shoot 1000 rounds of match ammo a year from this rifle, that alone will cost you 1200 bucks. this is assuming you don't reload. now every year you actually shoot this rifle it will be 1200 bucks or more every thousand rounds.

now lets look at optics. its a fixed cost item. buy a really nice scope once, around 1500 to 2000 dollars, and from then on you are shooting through a truly premium scope.

i say spend your money on the fixed cost items before anything. buy a us optics, nightforce, or premier heritage and be done with it. and make sure your adjustments are the same as the reticle. mil/mil or moa/moa.

do the math. ammo, range fees, and travel time will eclipse a scope cost in no time at all.

mptrimshop
September 23, 2009, 01:31 PM
i ended up going with a LeauVX-3L 4.5-14x50mm Illum. Reticlepold .....i got a really good deal on it and i'm hoping it will fit my needs....now i just have to pay the gun off and get it off layaway.......oh and i got some Talley 1 piece rings. http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/cgi-bin/public_controller.cgi?view=products&category_recnum=6

If you enjoyed reading about "looking for optics opinions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!