Bump firing

PDA

nulfisin
August 5, 2009, 12:05 AM
I'm not condoning it or saying I do it on a regular basis. I'm just wondering how many of y'all do it and whether you can do it with any proficiency from the shoulder.:eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "Bump firing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr_2_B
August 5, 2009, 12:18 AM
umm not me

chris in va
August 5, 2009, 12:20 AM
Never. Nope. Neither does my friend, especially not last weekend.

jpwilly
August 5, 2009, 01:05 AM
No, why?

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/th_range020208006.jpg (http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/?action=view&current=range020208006.flv)

rockheadd
August 5, 2009, 02:16 AM
Not with a .308 unless your target area is the entire side of Squaw (oops, I mean Piestewa) Peak... Really fun with a 10/22 Butler Steel Lip Mag though...

shootistpd27
August 5, 2009, 02:18 AM
I dont know what bump firing is, would you please enlighten me?

Birdmang
August 5, 2009, 02:19 AM
Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_fire

chevyforlife21
August 5, 2009, 02:21 AM
can this be done with a 22 cause ive tried it and it hasnt worked?

shootistpd27
August 5, 2009, 02:25 AM
At first I was a little irritated that you didnt just explain it yourself, now Im glad you didnt. Thats a little complicated. Thanks, I think I am going to try that with my mussel loader.

Birdmang
August 5, 2009, 02:26 AM
I googled it 5 mins ago and didn't feel like I knew enough about it to explain it...I still don't fully understand it. Got to love wikipedia haha.

Acera
August 5, 2009, 02:34 AM
This site should have all you need to know.

http://www.poormansmachinegun.com/PMMG5.htm

Check out the video section for how to's.

Of course, you are sure to hear from a lot of folks who will tell you how stupid this stuff is, but it's not their money, right?

seanie!
August 5, 2009, 03:22 AM
I did it last trip to the range with my Saiga. I tried it from the hip with only three rounds and it honestly scared the crap out of me. Once I knew what to expect, I loaded up all ten. It was pretty fun, but I don't see myself ever really doing it again.

Dravur
August 5, 2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks, I think I am going to try that with my mussel loader.

You bump fire shellfish?

nulfisin
August 5, 2009, 10:15 AM
Plenty of good demonstrations there. In essence, you are firing your AR or other semi-auto almost as quickly as a full auto. You have to observe someone doing it to really understand it, but all you're really doing is keeping the trigger forward with some constant pressure (perhaps with a finger) and then pulling the barrel forward with your off hand. Then you let recoil do the rest as it pulls the barrel back, chambering a new round while the forward pull of your off hand causes the round to fire.

I really don't make this a habit. Still, I'm impressed with those of you who can get get a .22 to bump fire. I can't do it, perhaps because my triggers don't break lightly enough given the very modest recoil I have to work with.

Red Tornado
August 5, 2009, 12:07 PM
I tried it once with an SKS. I only got about 6 or 7 rounds to bump fire properly, but that was enough for me. I never would have expected a .22 to work, but I may have to try it sometime.
RT

Robert
August 5, 2009, 01:20 PM
Other than that was pretty cool, what point does bump firing serve? None that I can see. Why not take well aimed shots and save the ammo. I have seen many of the bump firing videos on You Tube... big deal. Can someone show me a target that was somehow better engaged with bump firing than it would have been with well aimed fire? I am not saying that it is not a neat little range trick, though most ranges I know will boot you right off the line for it. But I would rather take well aimed shots than just hurl bullets down range all willy nilly...
Of course, you are sure to hear from a lot of folks who will tell you how stupid this stuff is, but it's not their money, right?
You are correct it is not my money so if, for whatever reason, this floats your boat then go for it. I just don't see the point.

DHJenkins
August 5, 2009, 01:42 PM
Other than that was pretty cool, what point does bump firing serve?

For some people, that's enough.

Besides, the same argument could be made against real full auto firing.

Having said that, I've never done it (I like to hit my target as well) - but I can understand wanting to.

mcdonl
August 5, 2009, 01:45 PM
I did it with my 10/22 with tapco and laser... have not tried it with my AR, and with the ammo prices still up there... I doubt I will.

Joe Demko
August 5, 2009, 01:51 PM
I tried a couple variations on simulated full-auto some years back when I owned my (POS) Maadi AK. Ammo was dirt cheap in those days. It was mildly amusing and a great way to turn heads while plinking at the gravel pit. Couldn't hit squat, of course, but that was par for the course for the Maadi no matter how it was fired.

Robert
August 5, 2009, 02:10 PM
Not saying it would not be good for a chuckle... heck I have been known to duel wield 1911s. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 10 yards... but it was fun... I just worry that someone will see this stuff and think that it is a real, accurate way to provide suppressive fire. It is not.
Besides, the same argument could be made against real full auto firing.
Not quite. Full auto machine guns like the 240 family or the 249 are not just for providing suppressing fire. They are also fairly accurate in the hands of a good gunner. But I will concede that most folks, outside of a machine gun team, have no idea how to properly employ a machine gun.

seanie!
August 5, 2009, 02:40 PM
I just worry that someone will see this stuff and think that it is a real, accurate way to provide suppressive fire.
I would be more worried about a situation that would come up needing someone to provide suppressive fire.

Birdmang
August 5, 2009, 02:41 PM
Haha yea I have never needed any suppressive fire yet...maybe someday.

Nautilus
August 5, 2009, 02:43 PM
I did it all the time years ago with my AK's when you could buy lots of cheap ammo. With ammo over $200 a case now I don't do it as much.

CoRoMo
August 5, 2009, 02:50 PM
I tried it once, but it didn't work. I think I was pulling too hard forward and it wouldn't recoil enough to reset the trigger. What a waste of ammo that was.

CWL
August 5, 2009, 02:59 PM
Only from the hip, using my belt loop.

I subsequently lost both the rifle and pants in a tragic boating accident!

mp5a3
August 5, 2009, 03:06 PM
Too bad more people weren't interested in Class III guns back "in the day" or they would be cheaper. All you had to do was fill out a form 1 and pay $200. I talked to an older HK collector and no one had interest in them in the 1970's and 1980's (except for a fringe group)

Back then if someone knew they would have converted every single AK47 that was imported and every AR15 they could get their hands one, and then no worries about bump firing.

jackdanson
August 5, 2009, 03:10 PM
Back then if someone knew they would have converted every single AK47 that was imported and every AR15 they could get their hands one, and then no worries about bump firing.

Or they could just open the registration again...

I've never bump fired. Never felt it necessary. I have set up a bunch of clays and attempted to "rapid fire" them, shooting one ever 1-2 seconds... that's fun.

stchman
August 5, 2009, 03:40 PM
I have tried it with my Mini-14. It does work, it eats ammo and VERY difficult to hit the target.

stchman
August 5, 2009, 03:42 PM
I don't believe you can bump fire with a 10/22. The .22LR cartridge doe not have enough kick to push the rifle back.

There are ways to make the 10/22 go full auto if you want.

Acera
August 5, 2009, 06:54 PM
stchman wrote: I don't believe you can bump fire with a 10/22. The .22LR cartridge doe not have enough kick to push the rifle back.

Not True!

Search for the "Akins Accelerator" stock, there are threads on here. It was made for bump firing the 10/22, and the ATF took care of it pretty quickly.

PLRinmypocket
August 5, 2009, 11:33 PM
you can always use a bump stick to bump-fire your .22's

Works real well, even for other calibers.

trigga
August 6, 2009, 02:32 PM
it's only fun the first few times, you can't really hit anythings with consistency. try the gat trigger.

cougar1717
August 6, 2009, 03:46 PM
The only time I have seen this in person was at my local range. It is a public range with no range officer. The shooter on the other end of the range was bump firing his glock using the belt loop method. He ran through a couple magazines. It was his decision and his ammo, but while he was shooting, he did not exercize sufficient control of his firearm. My thought is that if that shooter is that careless of his own safety, I really don't want to stick around the range. Some people do things that endanger themselves, but I do not want to be endangered by someone else's carelessness.

herkyguy
August 6, 2009, 07:07 PM
Bump firing is useful if the zombies have singled you out.

benEzra
August 6, 2009, 08:44 PM
Bump firing is useful if the zombies have singled you out.
Only if the zombies are fearful of loud noises. If they're not, you may actually have to shoot them. :D

chris in va
August 6, 2009, 10:27 PM
I would think a semiauto 22 with a light, short reset trigger could bump fire quite well...no?

Jubjub
August 6, 2009, 10:49 PM
If I want to make noise and watch dirt fly, I'll rent a tiller.

Hiaboo
August 7, 2009, 12:58 AM
I've done it several times and can do it accurately enough... I don't condone doing it unless it's "safe" enough to do so.. It can get unsafe rather in a hurry.

trigga
August 7, 2009, 02:02 PM
I would think a semiauto 22 with a light, short reset trigger could bump fire quite well...no?

i've tried it with my ar15 and somehow i can't seem to do it, my ak does better because the recoil is greater. .22 might not have enough recoil.

husker
August 7, 2009, 06:39 PM
No to bump fire. 2 awkward. Mini ranch with by pod & a staple on the sear. Thats a lot of fast firing fun.

Acera
August 7, 2009, 06:45 PM
& a staple on the sear

Is that legal??

61chalk
August 7, 2009, 07:40 PM
trigga, keep practicing with the AR, I do it with mine no problem, an so
far I've only done it once with it. My son with his SKS is getting pretty good
an keep his rounds constantly hitting a 2' area from 30yds....not bad from the hip.
When you got over a thousand rounds its fun once in a while just to keep the
nieghbors an fellow gun lovers excited. But only on private property an know what
your backstop an beyond is to keep it safe. Somehow a dirt tiller just doesn't do it for me, but that is funny!!

Cactus Jack Arizona
August 7, 2009, 07:59 PM
Oh Rockheadd, don't get me started on that. :fire: It will ALWAYS be Squaw Peak to me. :mad:

Anyway, I don't bumpfire. I don't understand the purpose of it. What does it accomplish? :confused: I suppose it looks cool :rolleyes: and it could be a way of impressing your friends :scrutiny:, but I do not believe that it will make you a better marksman. :what:

Actually, I just bet that bumpfiring was the brain child of gun show profiteer. :eek:

Carl N. Brown
August 7, 2009, 08:09 PM
My bet it was the brain child of an ammo seller.

Acera
August 7, 2009, 08:24 PM
don't get me started on that. It will ALWAYS be Squaw Peak to me.

Now what make you so mad about that.

They changed the name in honor of an American soldier who died in combat! How is that a bad thing, seems a heck of a lot better that Squaw Peak.

You might be against honoring the memory of soldiers that have died for this country in any way possible, but I am not.:mad:

edelbrock
August 7, 2009, 08:27 PM
& a staple on the sear
Is that legal??
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=62411
I personally would not do that even with the apparent letter of approval of the BATF.

Cactus Jack Arizona
August 8, 2009, 01:55 PM
Actually, I have nothing against honoring a fallen American combat hero. However, I am also a traditionalist. I simply do not agree with the name change. It has been Squaw Peak long since before I was born and it should have remained Squaw Peak to this day and beyond.

The brilliant leaders in Arizona should have, and could have come up with another way to honor this soldier that would have made everyone happy. If memory serves, this entire issue was more political in nature than in the actual honoring of this fallen soldier.

Honoring, yes. Name change, no.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bump firing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!