Craziest thing I've ever seen !!

PDA

mp5a3
August 5, 2009, 04:18 PM
http://img118.imageshack.us/i/akmag1006hx.jpg/

Apparently, these actually work !!

If you enjoyed reading about "Craziest thing I've ever seen !!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Yo Mama
August 5, 2009, 04:27 PM
:D Will that work with my underfolder?

Seriously, I doubt it works. When you want that many rounds, you go with a drum.

EdLaver
August 5, 2009, 04:53 PM
jams galore.

W L Johnson
August 5, 2009, 04:59 PM
hmmmm ooook......

Adds new meaning to "half moon clip" :what:

p.s. Yes I know its a mag and not a clip but "half moon mag" just doesn't sound right.

Eightball
August 5, 2009, 05:12 PM
I can't see how you'd get that thing in the magwell, what with the prerequisite rocking motion.

Sam1911
August 5, 2009, 05:22 PM
I can't see how you'd get that thing in the magwell, what with the prerequisite rocking motion.
Actually, that's a CA legal version. The mag is non-detachable. It's installed before they press the barrel in. You remove the dust cover and bolt carrier and load it through the top using SKS stripper clips. Takes 12 clips to fill it up. They make a special tool to help you load the last few clips worth in. I've got a picture around here somewhere.....

Ah yes, here it is:
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/sam1911/sledge.jpg

:D

Naah, that's almost certainly a photo-shop job. I don't think you could twist the mag far enough to the side when inserting it to clear the barrel. Until someone actually has such a thing and gives us a range report...with pics and videos preferably... I just don't believe it.

-Sam

mp5a3
August 5, 2009, 05:34 PM
Actually it's real, maybe not that picture. I have a book about the history of Ak's and it's called a type 7 or something like that

W L Johnson
August 5, 2009, 05:43 PM
Actually it's real,

Yea... a real PITA

Sam1911
August 5, 2009, 05:46 PM
Actually it's real, maybe not that picture. I have a book about the history of Ak's and it's called a type 7 or something like that

I would be most obliged if you would find that reference and scan it and post it for us here. Or just quote it so we can figure out how it worked?

Was there a twist to the body of the magazine so it clears the muzzle?

What was the intended use? I would imagine they were to be used with the Kalashnikov used in a SAW role? (Or maybe they were for the RPK?) They must be exceedingly rare...and I would assume they don't work very reliably. Otherwise we'd see them every once in a while.
-Sam

LemmyCaution
August 5, 2009, 05:51 PM
That image hurts my emotions.

everallm
August 5, 2009, 05:52 PM
The bastard step child of an AK and a Chauchet

Cougfan2
August 5, 2009, 05:55 PM
I can confirm they are real. I saw one at a shop here in Oregon. All I can say is Barnum was right! ;)

Big Daddy Grim
August 5, 2009, 05:55 PM
Rainbow clip who'd a thunk it

Arkel23
August 5, 2009, 06:00 PM
Rainbow clip I said the same thing, I just didn't comment.

FFMedic
August 5, 2009, 09:08 PM
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG021-36.html

FFMedic

W L Johnson
August 5, 2009, 09:10 PM
Do they make one for an AR-15? :rolleyes:

2RCO
August 5, 2009, 09:37 PM
Leave it to CTD to sell one

cane
August 5, 2009, 09:58 PM
Solution to a non existant problem.

Geneseo1911
August 5, 2009, 10:06 PM
Actually, that's a CA legal version. The mag is non-detachable. It's installed before they press the barrel in. You remove the dust cover and bolt carrier and load it through the top using SKS stripper clips. Takes 12 clips to fill it up. They make a special tool to help you load the last few clips worth in. I've got a picture around here somewhere.....

Ah yes, here it is: (photo of sledge)

you had me goin' there.....:D

good one!

I mean, that is stupid enough to be true in CA

theotherwaldo
August 5, 2009, 10:16 PM
I've seen them here in Texas - being returned by their disappointed buyers. My limited Spanish wasn't good enough to follow the discussion about the magazine's faults but it was long, loud, expressive, and involved some rather suggestive hand motions.

Apparently the AK platform is known locally as a "corne de cabra" or goat's horn, but this piece of hardware was compared to another body part... .

mljdeckard
August 5, 2009, 10:17 PM
I'm trying to get my head around the idea of a spring that will reliably push a follower 180 degrees. Not feeling it. why not just get one of the drum mags?

federalfarmer
August 6, 2009, 12:48 AM
Ruger 10/22 !
:neener:

nwilliams
August 6, 2009, 01:27 AM
Wow, that's, um....quite a mag:rolleyes:

I've got it! It doubles as a really uncomfortable sling:D

Maverick223
August 6, 2009, 07:34 PM
Just put a really stout spring in it...so you think your AK is reliable...try pancaked (from the spring tension) 7.62x39. :D

hadmanysons
August 7, 2009, 02:00 AM
Hmmmm.....

max popenker
August 7, 2009, 05:01 AM
It's not a photoshop, just a prototype someone built back then in mid-1960s.

here are scans from the book which, apparently, is an original source of this picture

Sam1911
August 7, 2009, 07:18 AM
Thanks so much for the pictures! Cool!

Looks like that little tab on the bottom ... er, other top? ... of the mag must flip up to slip over the slant brake and help support the mag. It must weigh several pounds when full.

Still don't see how you rock the mag in.

Odd.

-Sam

mp5a3
August 7, 2009, 09:06 AM
Sheesh guys, I told you I wasn't making it up...:)

I read it in a book so it must be true.. :neener:

BTR
August 7, 2009, 09:12 AM
I would bet someone in the usa made crummy copies of these.... I wonder how well the original russian ones work.

Maverick223
August 7, 2009, 09:42 AM
Still don't see how you rock the mag in. Just hook it on the bbl...and bend till it locks. :neener:

W L Johnson
August 7, 2009, 10:05 AM
It's a rubber mag for rubber bullets.

kanook
August 7, 2009, 10:17 AM
If you look at the mag you will notice that the mag is missing the front latch point where you would rock it into place. The mag is inserted straight in and clamped to the muzzle and the rear mag catch is still there.

EdLaver
August 7, 2009, 11:44 AM
I saw some "what I assumed to be" illegals at a local range using one and it did nothing but jam over and over. They were cursing at it in Spanish. You should have seen the look everyone else and the range officer was giving them just for having something so stupid :D. Everyone knows if you go to the range people will call you out on stupid things and this was definetly one of those times...except nobody spoke Spanish. Eventually they were told to leave the range when they got bold enough to fire from the hip (A range No No). The range officer told them "vamanos amigos" and they got the message, packed up then left.

Red Tornado
August 7, 2009, 12:36 PM
If CTD sells it as "display only" I'm sure proper functioning isn't even an option. :) I loved the magazine may hold up to 75 rounds and the design does not guarantee it will feed properly.
RT

qajaq59
August 7, 2009, 01:23 PM
Could it be a squirrel rifle for a real lousy shot?

Girodin
August 7, 2009, 03:09 PM
I spoke with someone who had one. Their assessment was it was a fun novelty to get a "whoa" out of people but it didn't feed well at all and was generally completely impractical and vastly inferior to a drum if one is after really high mag capacity.

Dr_2_B
August 7, 2009, 09:45 PM
yeah, nothing wrong with changing mags when you run dry

trigga
August 7, 2009, 11:48 PM
stay away from those fancy mags. they don't feed, besides imagine how compressed the spring will be at full load.

nalioth
August 8, 2009, 12:08 AM
Folks, it's not a "photoshop" or a "prototype".

Centerfire sold these as "novelties" a few years ago.

100 and 75 round "stick" mags.

Mr. Bojangles
August 8, 2009, 08:40 AM
All you would be lacking is a bunch of clowns getting out of a very tiny car.

JR47
August 8, 2009, 11:45 AM
Uhhh, they had that with the illegals at the range.:D

theotherwaldo
August 8, 2009, 01:00 PM
Well, around here you will occasionally see the 75-round versions. They lock in the well in the normal way and don't latch on to the barrel.

You will learn many new words in spanish while you watch the shooter try to use this type of magazine.

SundownRider
August 8, 2009, 08:06 PM
You know it doubles as a sling, right?

If you enjoyed reading about "Craziest thing I've ever seen !!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!