Winchester '94 .32 Winchester Special

PDA

Dr. Fresh
August 5, 2009, 07:06 PM
My friend has one of these, and it's very worn. The finish is pretty much gone and the wood is chipped and worn, but intact. It may have mechanical issues and I know it hasn't been fired in forever. Not sure how old it is.

Any idea what it may be worth?

Also, he has an old Krag-Jorgensen rifle that was sporterized years ago and is in similar condition. Any idea on that one?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester '94 .32 Winchester Special" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ron James
August 6, 2009, 01:44 PM
Need the serial number on the 94.

Oldtrader3
August 6, 2009, 02:54 PM
The .32 Win Special cartridge dates back to 1905. They were chambered in Model 94's for most of the life of the rifle model. Without a serial number and maybe some photos, any additional information is impossible to give.

The same with the Krag Jorgenson. They date back to 1894. Pictures would be nice.

rcmodel
August 6, 2009, 03:50 PM
I believe if it actually says 32 Winchester Special on the barrel it is post WWII.

Prior to that it would have said 32-40 WCF.

A 1894 rifle will bring less then a 1894 saddle-ring carbine.

A very bad bore will seriously hurt the value of either.

Even a poor saddle-ring carbine will bring several hundred dollars.

rc

Carl N. Brown
August 6, 2009, 04:02 PM
If I recall correctly, .32-40 and .32 Special are different, incompatible cartridges.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32-40_Ballard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32_Winchester_Special
The Wikipedia articles are based on Barnes, Frank C. (2006) [1965]. Skinner, Stan. ed. Cartridges of the World (11th Edition ed.). Iola, WI, USA: Gun Digest Books.

rcmodel
August 6, 2009, 04:13 PM
You are quite correct.

I had a "senior moment" there I guess!

Sorry for the mis-information.

rc

Dr. Fresh
August 7, 2009, 01:31 AM
I don't have numbers here, and won't until I can examine them again, but the Winchester looks ancient. I'd guess pre-WWII, more likely even pre-WWI. It is definitely .32 Special and not .32 WCF, and it's not a saddle ring, but a full-sized rifle. It also has the octagonal barrel.

Not sure of the bore condition. I want to make an offer on it, and I basically just need some ballpark value figure. It's in need of some work.

I know even less about the Krag, but it seems to be in better condition. I figured the sporting modifications have ruined its value.

rivraton
August 7, 2009, 03:48 AM
I believe if it actually says 32 Winchester Special on the barrel it is post WWII

I have a '94 Saddle gun made in 1927, pretty sure it has .32 WS on the barrel. I'll look at it tomorrow.
Yep, 32 W.S.
If it has an octaganal barrel, it must be older than 1927 (mine is round)

Enter the S/N here to find year made:
http://armscollectors.com/sn/winlookup.php?file=win1894.dat

rcmodel
August 7, 2009, 04:08 PM
32 WS is correct for pre-war guns.

rc

Dr. Fresh
August 21, 2009, 02:04 AM
Did they stop making the octagonal barrel in '27?

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester '94 .32 Winchester Special" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!