Marlin 925M

PDA

Guvnor
August 5, 2009, 07:56 PM
Local store has one of these for a good price, its a bolt action in .22 magnum. Thinking of picking it up as a knockaround woods gun. I was originally shopping for another .22lr but this caught my eye and the price is right.

Any comments on this gun?

And whats the story on the .22 magnum? It seems to be almost too much for squirrels, rabbits, etc...but seems a little light for coyote sized varmints. Am I wrong?

Id probably use the gun for just plinking and something to rove around the woods with. Maybe try fox or coyote hunting with it...IF its a capable enough round for this purpose.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 925M" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
thunder173
August 5, 2009, 08:31 PM
Have had one for years. Good gun,..as most Bolt Action Marlins are. It'll out last you if you take care of it. Very accurate. Mine does minute of pop can at 50 with open sights,..and I routinely take 100 yard shots with it using a 3x9 Variable Scope, and keep them under 2-3 inches. shhots better than I am capable of anymore. No idea how many rounds I have put thru mine on the range and hunting. I have the same basic rifle in .22 LR as well,..very satisfied with both.

.22. Mag?? It's a bit much for squirrels, but dandy on rabits at any distance,..or pretty much anything else in the small game realm. Fox is doable within reasonable ranges,..coyote might be pressing it if your range is long. Under 50 yards,..I'd do it.

Lot of the old timers up here have used .22 Mag for deer back in the day,..and I admit that I have taken one or two in my younger years as well,... with close head shots,..but I don't recommend it.

Good gun,..if it's what you are looking for,..I wouldn't hesitate to buy at a good price.

Redneck with a 40
August 5, 2009, 08:42 PM
I have one, its a very nice shooter. I can put 5 rounds inside of 1.5" at 150 yards, with a 3-9x scope.:D

Guvnor
August 5, 2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like it fits the bill, I may pick it up this weekend.

Is .22 mag much louder than .22lr?

Shenanigans
August 6, 2009, 10:23 AM
I routinely shoot my Marlin .22 Mag with a guy shooting a 10/22 and you can clearly tell the difference between my rifle and his. That said, though, it's not terribly loud.

Ratshooter
August 6, 2009, 10:27 AM
Yes the 22mag is louder than a 22. When you fire one there is no doubt that the 22 mag is a more powerful round. I can't hardly go back to shooting a 22lr after shooting a 22 mag the same day.

I have two marlin 22 mags. Both shoot very well. Both shoot the 40gr bullets the best. Check Sportsmans Guide for the Armscor 22 mag rounds. The last time I looked they were around $7.50 for a box of 50. They shoot to the same POA as the winchester 40gr loads at 100 yards and cost 2-3 dollars a box less.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 925M" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!