Alfafa bales as deer draw?

PDA

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 6, 2009, 02:20 PM
Or "bait" if you must. Deer eat alfalfa, even though they're not "grazers", technically, right? So wouldn't a few bales of alfalfa be the perfect cheapskate deer draw, and have the added bonus of being left alone by squirrels, coons, and crows?

If you enjoyed reading about "Alfafa bales as deer draw?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
.45Guy
August 6, 2009, 02:26 PM
I don't know about bales, but plant green beans, romas, wax, or soy for that matter. The deer will be on it like a plague of locusts.

Art Eatman
August 6, 2009, 02:36 PM
You can wind up with cows busting fences to get to alfalfa. :)

KenWP
August 6, 2009, 02:37 PM
One problem with bales of hay is they tend to trample to small bales down a lot on you. If you can rig up a feeder of some type to keep them from being able to walk on it you will find it takes less bait and it lasts longer. Around here they use apples and carrots. They advertise huge bags of carrots for bait around here in the late fall and all the stores sell the 50 pound bags of apples and carrots for bait. Where I come from in Western Canada we could not bait animals to hunt them so I found it strange to see it done here.

buck460XVR
August 6, 2009, 02:40 PM
Around here, as much as deer love quality alfalfa green, once it's cut and baled, they eat almost anything else but.

subman47
August 6, 2009, 02:59 PM
or plant pumpkins you cant keep them out of them

.45Guy
August 6, 2009, 03:12 PM
They do seem to be a might fond of the Atlantic Giants.

bearmgc
August 6, 2009, 03:17 PM
Taters and beets too. Deer go YUM!

ArmedBear
August 6, 2009, 03:18 PM
Last time I saw something feeding in an alfalfa field, it was a group of escaped horses (followed by a group of frustrated people and a local deputy, all trying to round them up).

They might spook the deer...

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/NYG/76082~Wild-Horses-Posters.jpg

rcmodel
August 6, 2009, 03:31 PM
A block salt-lick is always good if baiting deer is legal where you live.
Some states it isn't!

rc

Flintknapper
August 6, 2009, 03:35 PM
Dr. Tad,

I had the same idea about 15 yrs. ago and tried it.

The deer around here (Deep East Texas), wouldn't touch it. The bales were fairly "leafy" (not all stems)...but it held no attraction for them.

Perhaps in another part of the country...or under different circumstances it might work well. I can certainly see deer in Canada (snow and freezing temps) utilizing any source of protein they could find.

Here, it just didn't pan out.

Anyway, that was my experience with it.

Flint.

KenWP
August 6, 2009, 08:33 PM
Your right about that it has to be pretty cold and snow before they eat on the haystacks here. The carrots and apples they eat anytime. They clean up all the apples under the trees right now even. They also like grain and this bottled thick juice that we can buy in all hunting stores and Walmart here.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 6, 2009, 08:39 PM
Which costs less in bulk: Carrots, cabbage, or apples?

Flint, that's what I needed; thanks; sounds like it won't work - not cold enough here.

I ain't plantin nuttin - don't have the equipment for that. I just am not gonna pay what it takes for corn or grain.

rcmodel - oh yeah, they hit my apple-flavored salt licks hard! Saw a doe Sunday within 35 yards of a salt lick.

moosehunt
August 7, 2009, 01:45 AM
Doc Tad--Did I once see something suggesting that you are in Colorado? If so, you best check the regs or I think you might get your tit in a wringer for baiting. I do know, though, that deer (and elk) will zip right to get alfalfa hay in the winter when feeding cattle! The elk can actually be problematic, as they'll push the cows off the feed.

Funny tale--I would never beleive this if I hadn't seen it--Several years ago, a young hand working for me seemed upset about the deer chomping the hay he was putting out (well, I was too, but we just accept it), at any rate, this kid grabs about a 14" Cresent from under the tractor seat and says "watch this" and winds up and flings it at a forkhorn. I don't know why he was so wound up--I was the one on the wagon, all he was doing was driving the tractor! Damned if he didn't hit it right behind the ear and drop it--dead! Well, it wasn't really legal, admittedly, but we didn't waste the meat. I chastised him pretty good because if he hadn't been so damned lucky, we would have probably lost that wrench in the snow!

Nicodemus38
August 7, 2009, 11:26 PM
deer eat anything and everything. even right now in michigan they are loving to eat spruce trees. did all winter and havent stopped.

for as long as ive raised cow and goat, ive always had to put up with deer eating their hay and alfalfa. only thing that prevents that is shooting them.

moosehunt
August 7, 2009, 11:42 PM
Or a 14" Cresent!

JimKirk
August 8, 2009, 09:46 AM
Peanut Butter.... smear it on some leaves near a trail!
Believe it or not ...the oil filter that you just changed the car oil with .... lay it on the ground and watch'm try to roll in it! Or near any logging equipment ...oil alway leaking there ...deer love it!

Jimmy K

bps3040
August 8, 2009, 09:58 AM
Works great in west Texas. Turned out watermelon rind works great, lol, they would come up to the cabin to get them.

oneounceload
August 8, 2009, 10:41 AM
When I lived in NV, the best hunting areas were just outside the alfalfa fields - one B&B planted it so their guests could watch the deer in the field. We would just sit outside the fence line on BLM land and wait for them to head back into the hills.......

If you enjoyed reading about "Alfafa bales as deer draw?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!